New HAL smoking policy

Gunther1

Gunther1,

Thank you for posting this news.

We are very disappointed that HAL will continue to allow smoking on balconies.

Totally agree! On more than one cruise we have been unable to enjoy our verandah due to cigar and cigarette smoking neighbors.

Not for me, it isn't.

Princess gave HAL the chance to 'step up to the plate' but they passed.

HAL will have more smokers than ever and they will be in the veranda cabins.

I agree completely. I am so disappointed that HAL, a line we actually prefer to Princess, will still permit balcony smoking.

So if we nonsmokers book a balcony cabin, the moment we open the door to the balcony, the smoke will whoosh in and pollute our cabin anyway. That's happened to us before on HAL, which is why we stopped cruising HAL and Princess and every line owned by CCL and why we never sailed Seabourn.

And we want to book suites with balconies.

Are the cigars at least banned from the balconies?

There is really nothing worse than the odor of cigars, in my opinion.

I heard the news so headed over to see what everyone is saying. :eek:

I am glad, but I also agree HAL didn't go far enough. BUT we have a Future Cruise Credit we've been sitting on, hoping HAL would change the smoking policy, and now I can use it. Not for a balcony though. Guess we'll stick to outside until they change the balcony policy. (And cruise on Princess and Celebrity instead.)

Joanie, my mother also has a deadly 'allergy' to perfume. Her throat literally closes up. It's scary! We use unscented everything, and no perfumes of any kind at all. It totally impacts her quality of life. Most of the time she can't go to church. They never go to a movie. She has to miss most of my kids' concerts and performances, unless they are outside. (Sometimes she can come and sit apart if the auditorium is not too full.) They could never, ever go on a cruise. But secondhand smoke also affects her the same way.

We will use our FCC before it expires in 2012, but after that we'll probably be off to try Celebrity.

Robin

Wow - HAL changed too? I agree they didn't go far enough. I had actually considered them for this December but the reviews and comments I read with great concern prevented me from committing to either HAL or Princess. This is the first step in the right direction. This is major shift for Carnival Corporation. Good for them. This is indeed GREAT news. Now I can consider Holland-America and Princess as an option to Celebrity. I had read some pretty disturbing comments and reviews regarding smoking in cabins and this will make it easier for me to return to the cruise lines of Carnival Corporation. WELL DONE and THANK YOU for listening to your passengers.

Good thing I enjoyed my last, and I do mean last, HAL cruise. Guess I'll not be making that fourth star afterall. Just did to find the right phone number and email address so I can withdraw from HAL and stop the now annoying mailings and emails.

I admire your commitment to be true your personal principles. The fact that you choose to take your business elsewhere and not whine on and on about the policy is refreshing. All the best to you and yours wherever you go!

Given the choice for smokers between Princess & HAL it appears that the smokers will be flocking to HAL in great numbers after Jan 15.

I don't know what the situation was before but I would hate to see what it'll be like in the new year on the balconies.

Meaning no personal offense, but yours is the first of many I've noticed making the same argument:

I say, "Hooey!" People are first and foremost price-sensitive. OV and Inside cabin passengers aren't going to fork over 50-100% extra just to smoke on a verandah. The average multiple-cruise passenger is also remarkably brand-loyal. Why would people switch allegiance to smoke on a verandah when virtually all smokers adapted long ago to staying in hotels wherein absolutely no smoking is allowed?

The teeny tiny number bothered enough by the changes @ Princess to abandon that line won't be going to HAL - they'll go to a line that still permits inside cabin smoking. Many may say they will go here or there. Few actually will. Especially if the non-smoking half of the couple has anything to say about it.;)

The average new cruiser won't care, or be sufficiently aware enough of the differences, to select one line over the other for that specific reason. I bet that such a tiny minority would even list this as their #1 priority (Price will probably always be the #1 priority) that the actual differences in passenger make-up will be pretty close to zero.

Look around this thread and others here. All kinds of people who detested the previous policy and don't think the current policy goes far enough. Yet, virtually all of them continued to sail the same line, and will probably continue to do so. IMO, there's no reason to believe that the passenger make-up will be significantly different come January 15. YMMV.

For those who have allergic reactions to scented products.

Educating those people are a simple task. Speak up and eventually (SOONER, not later) they will get the hint. It's generally an easy obstacle to overcome. No one is ADDICTED to their perfumes or hair/skin products.

On the other hand......

Not for me, it isn't.

Princess gave HAL the chance to 'step up to the plate' but they passed.

HAL will have more smokers than ever and they will be in the veranda cabins.

Well, it won't bother me in the least as I only book (cheaper & cooler) interior staterooms! ;)

My logic is that my smoke wafts by your ose quickly, unfortunately your scented products do not waft by me that quickly and I am prone to hospitalization because of it:( I'd rather suffer from a slpit second of cigarette smoke than a week in the hospital fighting for my life!

Keep in mind that the cost to non smokers is going to raise the cost of your cruising in the long run, just as it has for Health Care.

Joanie

You are in the vast minority. How many times have you sat, stood or been near a person whao has literally bathed in scented products? It is basically in everything today and so many people use it so heavily that it lingers for a long time.

I even tried using a mask on my last cruise so that I could view the Cantares perform. No dice, had to leave after 5 minutes. Was so bad that the crew was ready to call the medical team in. I had to use my oxygen for the first time before bed time.

Joanie

It sounds as though cigarette smoke bothers you less than perfumes or colognes. Some with that high of sensitivity as yourself should probably consider a vacation where you're not in such close vicinity to other people.

Meaning no personal offense, but yours is the first of many I've noticed making the same argument:

I say, "Hooey!" People are first and foremost price-sensitive. OV and Inside cabin passengers aren't going to fork over 50-100% extra just to smoke on a verandah. The average multiple-cruise passenger is also remarkably brand-loyal. Why would people switch allegiance to smoke on a verandah when virtually all smokers adapted long ago to staying in hotels wherein absolutely no smoking is allowed?

The teeny tiny number bothered enough by the changes @ Princess to abandon that line won't be going to HAL - they'll go to a line that still permits inside cabin smoking. Many may say they will go here or there. Few actually will. Especially if the non-smoking half of the couple has anything to say about it.;)

The average new cruiser won't care, or be sufficiently aware enough of the differences, to select one line over the other for that specific reason. I bet that such a tiny minority would even list this as their #1 priority (Price will probably always be the #1 priority) that the actual differences in passenger make-up will be pretty close to zero.

Look around this thread and others here. All kinds of people who detested the previous policy and don't think the current policy goes far enough. Yet, virtually all of them continued to sail the same line, and will probably continue to do so. IMO, there's no reason to believe that the passenger make-up will be significantly different come January 15. YMMV.

Obviously this is only my opinion as to what I think might happen on HAL. When Celebrity tightened up their smoking policy a few year ago, Princess saw a substantial increase of smokers on the balconies. I have no idea what cruise line they came from but I know for certain that the problem did increase. I somehow also doubt people would change over to NCL as the two cruise lines are not in the same category. I suspect that Princess will see an increase in booking from dedicated HAL passengers.

I'm just happy that they will be considering anyplace other than Princess in the future. :D

I tend to avoid the problem by staying in my stateroom and on my verandah. Do you? No you go out and invade my space with sccents. I pay for my cruise just as you do yours, and yet I cannot enjoy all of the venues that you do because of what you call a red herring:(
And this can come over bad but here goes: if I want to douse myself in cologne and hang out on my balcony (which happens to be next to yours) would that be OK? I mean, I paid for my balcony too and want to enjoy it. ;)

[bTW, I use mostly unscented products and very little cologne. :)]

I think I would rather suffer through a few minutes of nasty cig smoke than a few minutes in a Men's head where the 4 guys in the stalls dropping a deuce have not learned the concept of the courtesy flush!

I'm pleased that HAL is going to prohibit smoking in cabins/staterooms - it can't come soon enough for me. I didn't like the idea of cruising in a cabin that has previously been smoked in.

My DH is a smoker. I am not. I have long enforced a similar policy - nobody smokes where I am going to sleep! I have threatened that, if he smokes in our cabin, he will be the first man overboard. ;)

DH (now 67) has smoked since he was 16, despite numerous attempts to stop. We have reached a compromise: at home, he only smokes outside; on a cruise, he only smokes in the designated, public areas.

I agree that people are price sensitive and I don't think you will see people flocking from Princess to HAL. HOWEVER, there are certain people who book more expensive accomodations consistently. They pay the going rate for their suites. Some happen to have a partner who smokes.

These people are in the position to seek alternate cruise lines - they will not be so price sensitive. One has already posted that they are done cruising HAL. Another has already put out an inquiry on Costa on the boards (if verandahs become non smoking). It would seem there are a number of smokers in suites since Sail has issues with smoke on the verandahs.

HAL could potentially see a migration by these people who I would think are helping their bottom line. :eek: JMO though;)

IMO.......

Smokers who sailed Pirncess in veranda cabins will move over to HAL ships.

They will be going from similar price to similar price.

Smokers are willing to pay $8+ per pack of cigarettes. Do the arithmetic for a pack a day smoker to see what they spend a year.

You don't think they'll pay for their veranda cabins and move over to HAL?

Makes no sense to me that Carnival and Princess ban it on verandas and HAL continues to permit it. :confused:

I remember there was a woman who works for HAL in Pubic or Guest Relations who posted here and answered some questions a few months ago. Sure wish she'd come back now and explain this.

(I'm not referring to DBA.)

RCI has had a no smoking policy in cabins for years now, but do allow smoking on verandahs. I always get a verandah cabin on an RCI ship, am a non-smoker and have never been bothered by a smoker near me. I select a cruise based on where it goes and how long it is not by a smoking policy, but am very happy to see HAL moving in the right direction and feel confident they will continue to become more restrictive.

The new HAL policy would explain why there wasn't a smoking questionnaire on our recent Eurodam cruise.

I rarely wear perfume but I do like all of the lovely scents. Not so much the scents wafting off smokers.:rolleyes:

Sail, you might want to correct your last post. I seriously doubt there is a woman in charge of that are on HAL!!:p

Oh give me a break folks - and yes you can flame away and have fun:p

they have made some progression and they made a new policy and now you'll complain about that too.

You didn't want any risk of smoke in your cabins and now the new policy has forced the few smokers outside. so don't complain about it on the verandahs and don't get out the lysol:p

Some smokers were considerate - didnt' smoke in their cabins, only went out on the verandah when it was very early morning and no one was awake and even asked the people next door if it bothered them

otherwise they went to the Lido. Yes, I am one of those evil people. I don't smoke a lot and yes, I should quit, and yes, I try to be fair to everyone. and yes, as E500 ('Ralph') would attest if he was on, I always went to the Lido for my morning coffee and evil fix. and in the evening.

I didn't choose HAL because it's a 'smoker's ship" - I chose it because I like the ship. but really?

Seriously, HAL makes a move that you have all been looking for and now you're complaining.

I don't think people who smoke will 'flock' to HAL. having a cigarette on the verandah when the ship is moving is no fun. It makes more sense to go to the Lido IMO.:) Considerate smokers are not evil people.

Let the flames begin:eek:

So glad we will be sailing on the Prinsendam with you, see you on the Lido...

The new HAL policy would explain why there wasn't a smoking questionnaire on our recent Eurodam cruise.

I rarely wear perfume but I do like all of the lovely scents. Not so much the scents wafting off smokers.:rolleyes:

Sail, you might want to correct your last post. I seriously doubt there is a woman in charge of that are on HAL!!:p

Some of these scents are not so lovely. Cheap perfume seems to be more offensive than cig smoke to me, and I am a nonsmoker.

As an on-again-off-again smoker, I follow these threads with interest - though I rarely comment. I've quit dozens of times, and am finally starting to win the battle with the help of an electronic cigarette. I can't call myself a non-smoker because I know one good whiff of the real thing will send me right back ... and the other thing that sends me right back is getting on a ship. I can be smoke-free for months at home, but want to light up as soon as I leave town. No matter how I try to avoid it, I go into every cruise with a "to heck with the struggle, this is vacation" frame of mind - and the nicotine cravings take over.

I've learned to manage in a smoke-free hotel by stepping outside when I'm overwhelmed. I manage on ships by using the Verandah (yes, I'm one of "those"), but on my last two cruises I actually put notes in the mail for my 2 neighbors. I stated that I'm an occasional smoker but do not wish to spoil their use of their own verandah. I told them that if I hear them ourdoors, I will put my cigarette out. I also told them my name and asked them to knock on the divider and say hello to let me know if they're out there and I'm not aware of it. It worked out great, and I only received one "knock" on each of those two cruises. Friendly knocks at that.

So, it IS possible for smokers and non-smokers to live in harmony. It just takes a little honest effort. And until I finally lick this habit for good, I applaud HAL for moving in the right direction. If I couldn't smoke on my verandah, I would smoke less ... simply because it's so much trouble to get myself to a smoking area. It works in hotels.

So no one is 100% happy? That's life. Stay home if everything has to be perfect for you. It's called COMPROMISE! You give up a little to get a little or a lot. I think Carnival Corp. did a good job in a situation for which there is no perfect solution. Carnival and Princess ships have no smoking in cabins or on verandahs. HAL allows smoking on verandahs- and with less than 20% of pax being smokers, and certainly all smokers are not out on their verandahs at the same time, so how bad is that really? Carnival Corp. is trying to make the majority of both groups happy, if not 100% happy they gave something to both sides.

Some of these people complaining had no trouble at all sitting in the smoking section of Ocean Bar, right at the bar itself in fact, when smoking was allowed there. Now suddenly even a whiff of smoke in the open air is completely intolerable. What's with that?

So some people want things to be perfect for them and them alone- HAL to be the cruiseline with no cabin and no verandah smoking because they don't want to compromise at all. There are plenty of great premium and luxury cruiselines with stricter no smoking rules than HAL's new policy; try one. Life's all about compromise.

HAL is my favorite cruise line but I will most likely look at Princess first since I will be able to enjoy my balcony smoke free. Happy about the cabins though!

Hi: News flash! As of sometime in January 2012, there will be NO SMOKING IN CABINS OR BALCONIES ON ANY PRINCESS SHIP! :-(

Archived