Move to dock cruise liners at navy base welcomed

The Navy does not have to move.

There is room in that "basin" to allow cruise ships in.

It will only be in the season.

So how about this for an idea?

Why not use both Newcastle and Sydney?

Think about it.

The taxpayers who own those ports can get 2 lots of port fees from the cruise lines.

Call into Newcastle, send the tourists off on a nice trip up the Hunter Valley, and while they away, bring the trucks and containers in and service and replenish the ships, then next day they are in Sydney and disembark.

Easy Peasy:D

It probably comes as a surprise to some people - that there are more important things in the "National interest" than cruising and providing pleasant cruise experiences to overseas visitors.

Australia is a huge continent which has very few natural harbours. Those that it does have have to be used to the greatest benefit for the nation - cruising just does not rate compared to the Navy. You will remember that it wasn't very long ago that not many people cruised out of Sydney - they had to fill the cruise terminal with restaurants to make it pay it's way. Although cruising is popular right now, the travelling public is very fickle and indeed, if the world's economy falters, cruising may become again a distant memory, only undertaken by the few rich. .

Meanwhile the National interest remains paramount!

Barry

It probably comes as a surprise to some people - that there are more important things in the "National interest" than cruising and providing pleasant cruise experiences to overseas visitors.

Apparently! I'd like to see where the funding for this is meant to come from? Or is it just intended as a massive subsidy for the sake and pleasure of tourists???

Meanwhile the National interest remains paramount!

Hear, hear.

I agree, our Navy and our defence capability is more important than a cruise ship terminal.

I also agree..It would be a security nightmare..what is wrong with what I thought was planned which was building a passenger terminal where P&O are now embarking and disembarking from?

Although it may encourage Village People type recruits into the Navy though :D :rolleyes: lol

There may be some light at the end of the tunnell. In the new defence strategies released in the press today the Defence Minister announced scaling down of Puckpunyal and Garden Island defence bases to shift defence activities currently at those locations to new locations in Queensland, Northern Australia and in the north of Western Australia.

Now would be the time for the NSW Govt. The Cruise ship Industry and other interested parties to start lobbying and make representations for any surplus space at Garden Island to be utiltised at a Cruise Ship passenger terminal.

John

There may be some light at the end of the tunnell. In the new defence strategies released in the press today the Defence Minister announced scaling down of Puckpunyal and Garden Island defence bases to shift defence activities currently at those locations to new locations in Queensland, Northern Australia and in the north of Western Australia.

Now would be the time for the NSW Govt. The Cruise ship Industry and other interested parties to start lobbying and make representations for any surplus space at Garden Island to be utiltised at a Cruise Ship passenger terminal.

John

I may be a cynic, but I suspect lobbyists have already been hard at work, on both a state and federal level.

In several ports around the world , Naval Ships and Cruise ships dock side by side.....or at least nearby.

To name just a few in the USA,

New York

San Diego

Fort Lauderdale.....

and there are heaps more ports around the globe where this happens.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4521

This is an article of interest, under News, re the battle for Charleston: Carnival, Cruise Industry Combat Foes in South Carolina.

I feel our governments need to learn from other's mistakes, in their decision making in relation to expansion of cruiseship facilities and infrastructure.

Do you think it would be a possibility for Cruise liners to dock at the finger wharf in wooloomooloo?? with some work done and so on?

It used to be used for very large ships. The issue is when they sold it off, they gutted the terminal building, so the passenger infrastructure and access, as well as the private ownership are the issues there.

It used to be used for very large ships. The issue is when they sold it off, they gutted the terminal building, so the passenger infrastructure and access, as well as the private ownership are the issues there.

I was thinking about that as well. The room is certainly there dock wise, not sure about terminal or check in facilities. However those could always be done at a City Hotel , as several ports do overseas, and pax simply bussed to the ship.

If I were an owner of one of the apartments there I would certainly vote for the Body Corporate to lease out berthage at the huge fees they get, as long as it went to reducing my contribution to the running expenses of the apartments.

Obviously it would be expensive, but they could just renovate on the finger wharf, and take the first half of the building for the first three levels for the terminal and then build upwards for apartments and hotels and so on, obviously money would be an issue and im sure most people living their dont want to look at a side of a boat everyday, but they are really running out of options, it has the opurtunity to be a good terminal, there is enough room and the dock space for large ocean liners.

You could also look at Manly for Seasonal Cruise ships and have visiting ones dock at OPT

Obviously it would be expensive, but they could just renovate on the finger wharf, and take the first half of the building for the first three levels for the terminal and then build upwards for apartments and hotels and so on, obviously money would be an issue and im sure most people living their dont want to look at a side of a boat everyday, but they are really running out of options, it has the opurtunity to be a good terminal, there is enough room and the dock space for large ocean liners.

You could also look at Manly for Seasonal Cruise ships and have visiting ones dock at OPT

Would Manly be deep enough to take large cruise ships?

If so , it could be an option . Had not thought of that one:)

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer'][SIZE=2]Would Manly be deep enough to take large cruise ships?
If so , it could be an option . Had not thought of that one:)

[/SIZE][/quote]
I read on one of those reports for a cruise terminal that, that was an option there was also:
-Chowder Bay
- Athol Bay Wharf
- HMAS Platypus
- Rose Bay
- Watsons Bay
- Farm Cove

However i think nothing will compare to cruising right through sydney harbour docking next to or near iconic features that make our city what it is, when tourists come they dont want to look at old, run down places, they what to see new modern and our sydney icons, and people are going to stop coming if thats not the case thats why i think it is reall important to dock at Garden Island or Finger wharf

Archived