Formal Night - Yay or Nay

Gonzo70

Should Celebrity Keep Formal Nights in the Main Dining Room?  

827 members have voted

1. 1. Should Celebrity Keep Formal Nights in the Main Dining Room?

• Yes - Keep Formal Night in the MDR on Select Evenings & Enforce the Dress Code!
    • No - Do Away with Formal Nights on Celebrity Cruises Altogether

I'm sure you all know where I stand on this one :) We dress formal even in specialty restaurants and stay in our formalwear all night. It's fun to get dressed up!

When we were in Vegas last month we brought dressier clothes, too.

We are with you.

We too dressed up formally in Vegas one night last April. Even in the Bellagio Hotel we sensed looks of bewilderment amongst the scruffy gamblers.

Our first Cruise is on the Equinox in August...I dislike shirt & tie in work on a day to day basis (just not comfortable) however I am genuinely looking forward to the Formal Nights on board with my Wife...it is rare we dress formally, perhaps the odd charity event once a year.

We were made aware of the formality of Celebrity and accepted it as part of the cruising experience with them, perhaps when we have a number of different cruises under our belt, we may have a different opinion.

I've gone full circle on this issue. I used to enjoy wearing my tuxedo on formal nights aboard a ship. But then my tuxedo "shrunk" after many cruises (I have always suspected that salt air was the problem) and I had to get rid of it. I went without one for many years, just wearing a blue suit. Then I heard about the tuxedo rental companies and began to rent. Now that we enjoy crossing on the QM2 which has 5 formal nights, I took my wife's advice and just bought a new tux. I am hoping the salt air does not shrink it again this time.;)

Hi its not the sea air,its the wood that the wardrobes are made off,i have the same problem,;):):)

No its the same fairy that magically tidies your room, they go in and adjust the seams on your clothes every night whilst they are there

Please, because I am on a major weight loss drive over two years so I can get back into some lovely evening dresses i wore 20 years ago, please do not remove my goal

All this talk of luggage restrictions makes no sense. After all, unless you're on a nude cruise, you still have to pack something to wear every night----unless you all wear the same outfit every night.

From a North American perspective you maybe right. Try that from Europe or Australia where you have a 20K or 44lb weight limit and if you want to take more than one bag it's in 100s not $25. Some don't even allow a second bag. We women can usually get away with black pants and sparkly top, men not so much.

My 2 cents...Make them optional, I'd bet in a wider poll than the Celebrity Board on Cruise Critic it would be running at least 50% so either dedicate one dining room to formal, go optional, or make them go away.

I voted to keep formal nights, but I also believe that Celebrity should make it easy for people who want to skip formal nights. By that I mean a wider variety of offerings in the buffet for dinner. We've been on 3 cruises this year, and the last was a port intensive Med cruise on the Equinox. Sometimes you're just tired and make a game time decision to skip the formal night. In that situation it's nice to know there's a reasonable buffet (more than just pizza and pasta). Acutally, on our Med cruise it looked to us as though Celebrity had done just that, by offering additional hot items in the Oceanview Cafe at dinner, such as a meat carving station. That's also very helpful when you come back from port too late for your seating.

I have no problem with formal nights usually, but to learn there's a formal night on a 5 nighter on Millie to Cozumel and Roatan is a disappointment.

This itinerary is clearly all about casual, outdoor fun. I could pack in a carry on if not for the formal night. 7 day minimum to require it would be my vote. Regent got rid of them... We took their Navigator to Alaska and didn't miss formal one bit.

I enjoy formal nights BUT I do NOT enjoy paying excess baggage fees because this stuff weighs a lot . I think it should be optional and men should NOt be obliged to wear jackets How about ladies in cocktail dresses men in slacks shirt and ties no need for jackets

I agree. I don't mind is so much, but with packing for a 15 day cruise + a few days on land, it forces me to spend the bucks to rent the tux, which I would rather spend elsewhere.

I voted to keep the formal nights. There are few, if any, restaurants or venues that you can go to these days where you would feel comfortable dressing up as you do on a formal night on the ship. We enjoy getting dressed up; the overall ambiance of the ship seems even nicer on a formal night. It is always enjoyable to see everyone looking so nice. I was sad when informal nights were eliminated; we still take some of those clothes on a cruise, especially to wear in Murano's, Oceanliners, etc. I know those are smart casual, but we like to make dining there even more special. I won't be surprised if the formal nights are soon gone, but I will be very disappointed. It's too bad that so many dislike dressing up so much, but that's just my opinion. We'll see what happens.

I voted to keep the formal nights. There are few, if any, restaurants or venues that you can go to these days where you would feel comfortable dressing up as you do on a formal night on the ship. We enjoy getting dressed up; the overall ambiance of the ship seems even nicer on a formal night. It is always enjoyable to see everyone looking so nice. I was sad when informal nights were eliminated; we still take some of those clothes on a cruise, especially to wear in Murano's, Oceanliners, etc. I know those are smart casual, but we like to make dining there even more special. I won't be surprised if the formal nights are soon gone, but I will be very disappointed. It's too bad that so many dislike dressing up so much, but that's just my opinion. We'll see what happens.

No matter what happens with the dress code it still doesn't keep you personally from dressing up. Enjoy it while you can.

I would have liked to see another option in the poll: Reduce the number of formal nights to one on 6-10 night cruises, none on shorter cruises, and two on longer cruises. I enjoyed people watching on formal night although I ordered room service.

I vote Yay-"yes". My family enjoys getting dressed up, as we do not get the opportunity to do so when not on a cruise and it is great, quality family time for us. When at home, Everyone goes there own way (teen/ young adults). They LOVE formal nights and are already determining what they need for our next cruise...lol. I really don't understand the whole formal issue...it's not like they force u to do it and there are other venues to go to so u can still eat. If u r not happy with windjammer food, then opt for the speciality restuarant. It usually only affects 1-2, and in our case 3 nights for longer cruises. Of course I can empathize with those that need to fly and the extra pounds...I do not fly, as I have several ports within driving distance....;):D

The results are getting close to 2/3rds in support of formal nights (with stronger enforcement), and 1/3 in support of eliminating formal nights.

I wonder how many of those who vote to eliminate formal nights are actually regular Celebrity cruisers. I see a few names that I recognize, but many are regular posters (and cruisers) on other lines.

If you regularly cruise on a cruise line that is less formal, I think it is a bit mean-spirited to lobby to eliminate formal nights on Celebrity, where so many people enjoy that special ambiance. And I think it is particularly mean-spirited to try to influence new cruisers on the Celebrity boards by telling them that "most people don't dress to code and you can wear whatever".

There is nowhere else to enjoy formal nights on a popularly-priced cruise line, and you already have all kinds of lines that YOU can choose where dockers and polo shirts are as formal as you need to be.

I voted nay...because Celebrity does not enforce the dress code. We enjoy the formal nights and if we go to the MDR, we dress up. Usually DH rents a tux to avoid the hassle of packing one.

Formal nights are special on Celebrity. The whole atmosphere is festive and fun. When I see someone not dressed appropriately, I can't help but stare at them.

~ Jane

Just how many cruises on Celebrity does it take to be qualified to have an opinion? I though this was "cruise critic" where everyone has a voice even if it doesn't agree with yours.

Mark me down for complete casual. :cool:

I voted nay...because Celebrity does not enforce the dress code. We enjoy the formal nights and if we go to the MDR, we dress up. Usually DH rents a tux to avoid the hassle of packing one.

Formal nights are special on Celebrity. The whole atmosphere is festive and fun. When I see someone not dressed appropriately, I can't help but stare at them.

~ Jane

I don't think any of the cruise lines are supporting their rules. It is getting to be a joke. Do what you want, when you want and how you want. No compliance and the lines don't want to make waves. Bottom line is they want the $$$$$$, regardless.

This is a poll to see what percentage of people on Cruise Critic's Celebrity board are in favor of Celebrity keeping formal nights for the main dining room on select evenings and enforcing the dress code versus those who wish Celebrity would do away with formal nights altogether.

Celebrity is a "Premium" cruise line and is a cut above. Why would someone want to change what is a very nice cruising experience just because they don't want to dress? For those who do not want to dress on formal nights seek out a different dining venue or go with the program. Don't ruin it for those of us who enjoy the formal aspect of the dining experience. If those options don't work for you sail on a cruise line that meets your needs. :D

Just how many cruises on Celebrity does it take to be qualified to have an opinion? I though this was "cruise critic" where everyone has a voice even if it doesn't agree with yours.

Mark me down for complete casual. :cool:

Well of course, everyone is entitled to their OPINION, but that was not my point.

I have only cruised once on Royal Caribbean. There were a few things that were done on Royal that are not to my liking, but I'm aware that these things ARE enjoyed by Royal regulars. I would never participate in a lobbying effort to get those things changed, and deprive the loyal Royals of elements that THEY like, just because I don't like them. And I certainly wouldn't participate on the Royal forums only to berate Royal cruisers for enjoying the elements that I don't value. What if Royal was the only place that cruisers could enjoy those particular elements? Should I lobby to have those elements eliminated so that I can add Royal to the list of 12 other cruise lines that I DO like to cruise on?

I think it's an entirely different situation if you are a regular Celebrity cruiser, and you would like to see smart casual be the dress code for every evening. You are clearly committed to the other elements that Celebrity provides, and I think your voice is important with respect to this subject. But if you rarely, or never, cruise with Celebrity, then your vote on this issue just skews the results.

And that is just MY opinion.

Well of course, everyone is entitled to their OPINION, but that was not my point.

I have only cruised once on Royal Caribbean. There were a few things that were done on Royal that are not to my liking, but I'm aware that these things ARE enjoyed by Royal regulars. I would never participate in a lobbying effort to get those things changed, and deprive the loyal Royals of elements that THEY like, just because I don't like them. And I certainly wouldn't participate on the Royal forums only to berate Royal cruisers for enjoying the elements that I don't value. What if Royal was the only place that cruisers could enjoy those particular elements? Should I lobby to have those elements eliminated so that I can add Royal to the list of 12 other cruise lines that I DO like to cruise on?

I think it's an entirely different situation if you are a regular Celebrity cruiser, and you would like to see smart casual be the dress code for every evening. You are clearly committed to the other elements that Celebrity provides, and I think your voice is important with respect to this subject. But if you rarely, or never, cruise with Celebrity, then your vote on this issue just skews the results.

And that is just MY opinion.

Very well stated.

Celebrity is a "Premium" cruise line and is a cut above. Why would someone want to change what is a very nice cruising experience just because they don't want to dress? For those who do not want to dress on formal nights seek out a different dining venue or go with the program. Don't ruin it for those of us who enjoy the formal aspect of the dining experience. If those options don't work for you sail on a cruise line that meets your needs. :D

Your comment has nothing to do with Gonzo's poll. This thread was asking whether or not people wanted Formal Nights to continue; it was not asking for reasons why people shouldn't want to do away with formal nights.

There are at least two other current threads where you can try to ban people whose opinion differs from yours.

Archived