July 4th fireworks on Caribbean cruises

The islands in the US Virgin Islands as well as maybe Puerto Rico might, I doubt the others would--it's not their holiday.

The only ships that launch fireworks that I'm aware of are Disney.

I was once asked by an American lady how we, in the UK, celebrate Independence Day. She appeared to be really surprised when I pointed out that Brits don’t celebrate it at all as we lost that war!!!!!! I then asked her how she celebrated Guy Fawkes night.......

Other than the Disney ships which do, as I understand it, use fireworks, none of the others do. I was on a Royal Caribbean ship on the 4th of July one year and on that day the Captain came on the P. A. and specifically told us that if any one had fireworks they are absolutely not to be launched. He said fireworks going off at sea denote that a ship or some boat is in trouble.

I was once asked by an American lady how we, in the UK, celebrate Independence Day. She appeared to be really surprised when I pointed out that Brits don’t celebrate it at all as we lost that war!!!!!! I then asked her how she celebrated Guy Fawkes night.......

As an American, why am I not surprised that a fellow countryman might ask you that question... :eek: :confused: Sad really

I have a British friend who celebrates "Good Riddance Day" on Jul 4

I was on RC Grandeur of the Seas two years ago on the 4th of July. No fireworks, but the crew did have a little "parade." Some of the crew marched down the stairs to the pool deck carrying U.S. flags. They played the national anthem over the loud speaker and anounced, "Our crew come from (#?) different countries, but today we are all American." It was really very touching. :o

Did she also ask if you'd studied abroad ... since your English was so good? Heard an American pose that one to an Australian some years ago:eek:

Did she also ask if you'd studied abroad ... since your English was so good? Heard an American pose that one to an Australian some years ago:eek:

I just spit tea all over my monitor. And we wonder why we've got such a bad rap.

I was talking to a friend who was originally from the Philippines yesterday, and she told me that earlier in the day someone had asked her how long it took for her to learn English after she immigrated to the United States.

It's actually really sad that so many Americans lack even a minimal basis of knowledge about other nations and cultures--or even our own. Think about the people who think that everyone in Alaska lives in an igloo. Scary!

think about the people who ask if you need to take your passport when you go off the ship in Alaska . . .

My absolute favorite is when they ask what kind of money they need to use in Alaska... Here's your sign!

I am thinking about doing a cruise next year that would be over July 4, do the islands or ships do fireworks for July 4?

Thanks.

I have heard of some ships hanging out in AK ports a little later to catch some fireworks, but they weren't being shot off any ships.

My absolute favorite is when they ask what kind of money they need to use in Alaska... Here's your sign!

That's the type of person that you need to put on a very serious face and tell them that because Alaska is so close to Russia, the local currency is the ruble.

We had some very excited saleswomen in a supermarket on Big Island, Hawaii, who asked us to speak again....they didn't know that English was spoken in England.

But then, I was surprised to hear so much Spanish spoken in Florida....so it works both ways.;)

Jo.

I was talking to a friend who was originally from the Philippines yesterday, and she told me that earlier in the day someone had asked her how long it took for her to learn English after she immigrated to the United States.
I didn't think I was dumb, but I don't get why this was a stupid question. :confused: Spanish is the official language in the Philippines and it's not in any way part of the United States. Presumably someone moving here from there would be immigrating and English would not be his or her first language.

I didn't think I was dumb, but I don't get why this was a stupid question. :confused: Spanish is the official language in the Philippines and it's not in any way part of the United States. Presumably someone moving here from there would be immigrating and English would not be his or her first language.

Actually the two official languages of the Philippines are Filipino (a standardized version of Tagalog) and English. While there are a fair number of Spanish words in Tagalog (and hence Filipino), Spanish is not an official language in the Philippines.

Thanks for proving my point.

English and Filipino are the official languages and have been for almost 40 years. Education and business are all conducted in English. Considering my friend is in her early 30's, it's absurd to think that English hasn't always been a first language for her.

My brother, who is an expat living in TX, was once asked if Canadians have a 4th of July. His response: "Yeah, it comes after the 3rd of July"

Actually, in Hyder, Alaska, other than the US Post Office, they use Canadian Dollars, since the only bank is across the border in Stewart, BC. Otherwise they have to fly to Ketchikan to a US Bank. (But first they would have to drive to Stewart to get to the plane.)

Of course, growing up near Chicago, I was accustomed to hearing many different languages on a daily basis. However, I remember one day, when I was in Chicago, I heard two boys speaking perfect French. My very first thought was "Boy, those kids are smart. Look how well they speak French!" I was really impressed. Now, before you flame me, I was perhaps 14 or 15 at the time. Just as quickly, a lightbulb went off in my head and I realized that they spoke French well for the very same reason I spoke English. They were probably from France. I felt very stupid and was very glad I hadn't said anything at the time. Now, it's funny to think of it but, back then, I would have died of embarrassment.

In keeping with the tone of this thread...It's scary to think there are people in this country {USA} who think Milk comes from the grocery...not a cow, or eggs from chickens... Or don't know pickles were once cucumbers...I could go on all day. Sad but true...:(

In keeping with the tone of this thread...It's scary to think there are people in this country {USA} who think Milk comes from the grocery...not a cow, or eggs from chickens... Or don't know pickles were once cucumbers...I could go on all day. Sad but true...:(

I remember once when I was a kid... We needed to make a cake, but didn't have a mix. We had plenty of flour, sugar, eggs, etc. but my little sister (probably about 9-10 at the time) insisted that we couldn't make a cake without a mix.

Happy Independence Day, everyone. :D

Archived