Misunderstandings by new people concerning the various dining options.

I can understand why there is so much confusion about the Open Seating term used and the As You Wish Dining term.

On the Amsterdam -- those people who did not have the Traditional (Fixed) dining were of course assigned to Open Seating.

But if they made reservations ahead of time -- as suggested by some of us -- the reminder card that is delivered to their cabin and placed in the mail slot -- has on the front of it "As You Wish Dining".

No wonder so many people are mixing up these terms.

The HAL website calls their open seating/anytime dining option "As You Wish" dining. I always had the impression that "Open Seating" was just a generic term for dining that's not the traditional style, regardless of the cruise line. From my (somewhat limited) experience, online travel agencies call it that when booking through them as well, rather than have a specific name for each cruise line. Many seem to have their own version of it these days.

Maybe because it is part of AYWD.;)

That's probably the reason for the title on the note. But think of all the posts from disappointed people who thought they had open seating/anytime dining because it was "As You Wish." Then, they discovered they had an assigned, fixed time.

More of HAl's awkward naming. Maybe we should send them a thesaurus??

The HAL website calls their open seating/anytime dining option "As You Wish" dining.

Actually, the HAL website uses the term "As You Wish Dining" to refer to the entire spectrum of dining options:

From a festive five-course affair to a quick, casual dinner for two, our As You Wish® dining lets you choose the venues and style that suit you.

The elegant main Dining Room

The Pinnacle Grill experience

Other delightful ways to dine

Following the third heading there is a list of several other dining options.

AYWD and Open Seating are the same. Traditional means set time, early or late (the old way - traditional). I have used AYWD on two long cruises (one 42 and one 45) and never had to make a reservation, just showed up and was immediately seated. AYWD is a great system and gives passengers an unlimited way to make dinner decisions as well as meet a lot of very interesting passengers.

AYWD and Open Seating are the same.

Nooooo, they're not. AYWD is an umbrella term that includes all the various ways of dining. It includes fixed (traditional) seating as well as open seating.

But it doesn't stop there.

AYWD also includes eating at the Lido, dining in the Pinnacle, Canaletto, Tamarind, or ordering room service.

Actually, the HAL website uses the term "As You Wish Dining" to refer to the entire spectrum of dining options:

Following the third heading there is a list of several other dining options.

When one wishes to have traditional fixed dining and makes this request several months ahead of time, and this wish, after boarding, is denied, I would hardly call that AYWD!

When one wishes to have tradional fixed dining and makes this request 7 months ahead of time through their agent, then after boarding ship being denied this request, I would hardly call this AYWD!!

Actually even HAL is confused about this...I received a brochure from HAL back in March titled "Value, Dreams On Sale"

On page 5 under "Savor" it said:

"Dine As You Wish" or choose a traditional preset seating in the Main Dining Room"

JYGresham--Did the agent have you listed for a set dining time on your reservation? If not, then it was the TA's fault, not HAL. If it was on the documents-then you should have shown them on board and they would have accomodated you. Either way, it could have been resolved easily......

When one wishes to have tradional fixed dining and makes this request 7 months ahead of time through their agent, then after boarding ship being denied this request, I would hardly call this AYWD!!

In which case, they then rename it "IWLY". (If we let you.)

JYGresham--Did the agent have you listed for a set dining time on your reservation? If not, then it was the TA's fault, not HAL. If it was on the documents-then you should have shown them on board and they would have accomodated you. Either way, it could have been resolved easily......[/quote]

This is NOT always true. We had booked a cruise a year in advance while on a HAL cruise and specificed traditional dining. Our cruise documents clearly specified that we were booked for early upper (traditional dining). After we embarked on the booked cruise we were told that due to a large group onboard we could not have traditional dining and against our stated wishes we assigned to open dining. In this instance HAL's AYWD was clearly anything other than what we wished. We spoke with head maitre'd to no avail.

When one wishes to have traditional fixed dining and makes this request several months ahead of time, and this wish, after boarding, is denied, I would hardly call that AYWD!

Neither would I.

I also wouldn't call it AYWD when open seating has been confirmed, then changed to fixed seating without the passenger's knowledge and consent.

This has also happened, especially when large groups have taken over the lower dining room.

Nooooo, they're not. AYWD is an umbrella term that includes all the various ways of dining. It includes fixed (traditional) seating as well as open seating.

AYWD also includes eating at the Lido, dining in the Pinnacle, Canaletto, Tamarind, or ordering room service.

Yes, Ruth, that is what it means to HAL ... now. We both were there when it was first instituted by HAL to compete with those (warning--biased term follows) stooopid ads from NCL that basically said instead of doing swimming or shuffleboard at the same time, you could be waiting for hours in a line for a restaurant on an NCL ship instead (yay! :rolleyes:)

But, to many of us, the term "As You Wish Dining" means NOT traditional fixed seating; that is, open seating in the lower dining room. At first, it did NOT mean the Lido, or room service, or the Pinnacle, or anything else. It was an error on HAL's marketers' part, but they carved out the definition of not-fixed dining at first, and only afterwards tried to extend it to all types of dining (without, I'm afraid, much success). I'm sorry, but to me, AYWD will always mean open seating in the lower level of the main dining room ... and ONLY that.

Dave

Well, there are limitations too all your wishes. You may wish to dine in Pinnacle one night but it could fully booked. Not what you wished. :D

I totally agree. I see no confusion.

Archived