Wrong charges on bill..how often does this happen ?

COLLEYBERRY

I find this is happening more than it used to. On my cruise on the Veendam this past January/11 I asked for the bill at the front office on the final day before disembarkation. I found that I had been charged for a shore excursion I had never taken, as well as a minibar purchase, that I had never drunk. The front desk person did believe me about the shore excursion, but I had to argue with him about the minibar purchase, and he finally removed the charge. Then when I received the final bill, there was another minibar error, that I had to go to the front desk and argue about, before it was also taken off of my bill.

On my one night cruise on the Westerdam this past May, I checked my bill and it was correct. However, when I received my Master Card statement some weeks later, there was a difference of $16.91 more from what my bill had said on the Westerdam, and I had no idea what it was for. I called the number for onboard accounts at HAL that I had found from reading another thread on cruise critic. The woman whom I spoke with was very courteous, and said that she would remove the charge, which has been done. She said that the charge was probably for a minibar purchase that should have been charged to another room, and had been keyed in to the wrong cabin.

I will definitely check my onboard account more often on future cruises.

I have had mistakes happen on cruises and land based hotels. It seems to me that is happening less often now than in the past, perhaps due to better tracking systems in place? Anyway, one should always check you bill a couple of days before disembarkation.

DaveOKC

With over 440 days on HAL I have never had a problem with our bill. I keep all receipts and check them carefully against the charges. They have always agreed with my receipts.

Like Ruth mentioned, now that you do not get a prelim. bill you need to ask for one to do the checking under calm circumstances (vs last morning). Just got back from a cruise yesterday, got bill one day early, made things easy.

I have had problems a couple of times with the mini-bar which I don't use. I ask to have it emptied but sometimes get the answer they aren't allowed to or, if they do empty it, they put the stuff in one of the cabinets. Once they stuffed it beside the refrigerator in the cubby and it worked it's way over where a hinge punctured a soda can.

One thing I do every cruise is "inventory" the contents as soon as I can after getting in the cabin to make sure nothing is missing. Once I found a dark bottle was empty and I wouldn't have been surprised if the light bottles had water in them. Since they were "sealed," I wasn't going to open one and find out. I immediately reported it and I was not charged. Another time I noticed a can of coke was missing. I went to the front desk to report it and they said to tell my room steward and the charge would be removed. When doing so, room steward 'fessed up that he had drunk it and meant to replace it but forgot.

Celebrity locks their mini-bars the last night during evening turn down for which I appreciate. They, also, have removed the bathrobes sometimes along with other items that could walk--umbrellas, binoculars, books. Cabins are more or less left open disembarkation day so the crew can turn them and anyone can duck in and grab something out of a mini-bar or another item. While some people are insulted that Celebrity thinks they will steal stuff, I'm happy they do it because it protects me from other dishonest people. I think I read somewhere that the average pilferage a week on a cruise is around $3,000.

While I'm not accusing anybody of anything, think about how much money can be made by randomly charging passengers a few dollars in mini-bar purchases they never made and it is not worth it to them in time and effort to correct or they don't even notice it. This is particularly true if it appears on your bill after disembarkation or if you don't have time to contest it on disembarkation day due to an early flight. As B. Franklin said "Pennies make dollars." At least I think it was him (lol)

Tucker in Texas

As I read through the thread I'm remembering more and more what I see as I review the preliminary bill. Usually 2-3 times perusing the bill I will see a charge that I don't have a receipt for, and that doesn't make sense. Then, within a couple more postings the charge is removed.

I suspect there's more errors that we realize, but most of them are picked up and corrected by HAL before we are even charged. All in all, I would have to say they do a good job of it.

At the halfway point of my recent 20 day cruise I checked the charges for myself and my son. I found a charge from the salon I did not believe was mine so I visited the Neptune Lounge to ask about it. Reyan came back to say that it was a "hair treatment". Since I had lost my hair from recent chemo I knew there was a mistake. It was removed by the salon. I just thought it was funny I was charged for a hair treatment when I am bald!

Everyone should review their bill.

I won't ever find additional charges on my credit card after I get home. :-) One less thing, and a very big one!

I don't use a credit card number for my shipboard account. This is because of our first cruise. My husband has requested to never see the bill for our first cruise 12 yrs ago, and he's a smart man for it. Wow. Credit cards are just too darn easy to overspend.

HAL has a wonderful policy that I find very helpful. You can put $60 for each day, per person CASH on account. No credit card. Best option they ever offered. I put the cash down, they give back what's left at disembark.

I also love that I can prepurchase everything I need before I leave.

I've stopped using my credit cards on vacations. I pay for everything beforehand. There is nothing like going on vacation, knowing that you have a clean slate when you get home. And cruising is the easiest way to do it, since you can have over a year to pay for everything over the deposit.

We have been charged for a Bloody Mary mix (never drank a Bloody Mary in my life) from the minibar; I believe that was our first HAL cruise and we figured the amount wasn't worth the battle.

Another time I had a bar charge from HMC even though I didn't even get off the ship there. :rolleyes: The front desk found the slip, it didn't have my signature (it was someone else's), and they removed the charge. But it was a pain to stand in line to get it straightened out.

A common occurrence. We get someone else's drink charges every few years.

A trip to the front desk removes without question. I normally request a preliminary statement the night before disembarkation. If there are any unauthorized charges I get them removed before departure day.

Just curious, again.:) How often, if ever, have you found wrong charges on your on board cruise bill.?

Another thread on the board has prompted me to ask this question.

It happened to us on two of our three cruises with Hal..not significant amounts. Just wondering if this happens more often than not.

13 cruises with HAL and never a problem with a charge that wasn't ours!

Like most of you on our very first cruise we were charge for one item in the mini-bar - If memory serves me correctly it was for Baily's Irish Creme which I do enjoy but not on this cruise. Again as most of you said it was quickly removed without a question.

On our very last cruise my MIL was feeling a bit under the weather due to rough seas and drank one or two cokes from the mini-bar. When I requested a preliminary bill it was not listed but thought for sure it would be charged on the final bill or after the fact.

Nope never got billed for it. I did cross my mind that maybe it was becuase we were in a the PS, but the mini-bar in the PS had a price list.

So how many of you have been not charged for item purchased on board? Once we received a credit for a last minute tour cancellation - I was pretty surprised about that.

Now I am starting to wonder how many cruisers give a wrong cabin number to their server in the hopes of evading a bar tab.

I think that was entirely possible years ago when charges were made more on the honor system. I remember how the stewards would come back and call me by name, with a questioning tone.

Then, the computer system became advanced enough that when your cabin # was input, your picture came up. All they had to do was look to see if you were the same person. They didn't look every time, though.

Now, your cabin card (or beverage card) is required when you purchase something in a lounge. That should stop the "wrong cabin" at that source. The shop doesn't require it, though! That's scary when you consider the price of some of the jewelry.

Now I am starting to wonder how many cruisers give a wrong cabin number to their server in the hopes of evading a bar tab.

In years past, I'm sure there were a few 'undesireables' who did that. It is not very easy to do so today.

As to purchasing jewelry and using false cabin number....... Again, the card has to be scanned and unless a lost or stolen card is used, it would be hard for the wrong person to be charged.

Reminder to Self: If I lose my card, be sure to report it immediately.

Reminder to DH: Please skim through our account statement a day or two before end of cruise.

Can you not review your bill on your TV screen on HAL, like on other cruise lines?

Can you have your mini-bar emptied on embarkation (without having it's stock left in your room)?

These 2 little things, along with keeping reciepts to check against your bill (on-screen) occasionally, would go a long way with keeping payments accurate, not to mention the most important thing, peace of mind!

These 2 little things, along with keeping reciepts to check against your bill (on-screen) occasionally, would go a long way with keeping payments accurate, not to mention the most important thing, peace of mind!

No, you can't check your bill on the TV. However, that's really no big deal. Just stop at the Front Desk any time you want and ask for a bill to be printed. You can then check it at your convenience. Not only that, but you can keep it since it's all printed out! That, to me, is a huge advantage over the TV screen.

And yes, you can have your mini-bar (if you're in a cabin that has one) emptied.

No, you can't check your bill on the TV. However, that's really no big deal. Just stop at the Front Desk any time you want and ask for a bill to be printed. You can then check it at your convenience. Not only that, but you can keep it since it's all printed out! That, to me, is a huge advantage over the TV screen.

And yes, you can have your mini-bar (if you're in a cabin that has one) emptied.

But you have to waste time waiting in line at the Front Desk, which is not something I like to do on vacation. I would much prefer the TV screen to check on my bill.

But you have to waste time waiting in line at the Front Desk, which is not something I like to do on vacation. I would much prefer the TV screen to check.

The Front Desk is open 24 hours a day. During most of those hours there is no line whatsoever. Since there is no TV option, take it or leave it is your only choice at the present.

But you have to waste time waiting in line at the Front Desk, which is not something I like to do on vacation. I would much prefer the TV screen to check.

Can you resolve issues via the TV too, or do you still have to go talk to the Front Desk?

Archived