Cross body bag or waist pack?

Suzque49

I think you were asking me about my paranoia. When I went to Italy the first time, I had heard about bag snatching on the subway or in crowds. I read about others who had lost their bags from those on the purse forum, and since I was traveling alone it was better to be aware and safe.

Just my choice.

Hi, I don't call that being paranoid.... rather smart:). My sister

suggested getting a bag with safe straps. And I am going to

Rome and she just wants me to be safe too (traveling solo

as well:D)

I carry Pacsafe bags on every vacation (no, I don't work for them ;)). I currently have this one (it's huge but I have a huge camera) for a Med cruise: http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/venturesafe-300-vertical-travel-bag/152324?productid=10023817

I took this one to China, perfect size for what I needed at the time:

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/metrosafe-200-shoulder-bag/99876?productid=1263812

And I bought this one because it was cute, I usually don't carry smaller bags. I really like it:

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/slingsafe-100-sling-purse/99899?productid=1300995

My DH also has the backpack. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about sizes, I love my Pacsafes!:)

I carry Pacsafe bags on every vacation (no, I don't work for them ;)). I currently have this one (it's huge but I have a huge camera) for a Med cruise: http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/venturesafe-300-vertical-travel-bag/152324?productid=10023817

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/metrosafe-200-shoulder-bag/99876?productid=1263812

And I bought this one because it was cute, I usually don't carry smaller bags. I really like it:

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/slingsafe-100-sling-purse/99899?productid=1300995

My DH also has the backpack. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about sizes, I love my Pacsafes!:)

Hi, thanks for the links:)...I really like that "smaller one"....

can that hold a paperback book? I don't own a kindle/tablet.....

I love the Metosafe. Too cute. I do have a pacsafe money belt which I use for the flight after check-in. Makes it easy for bathroom trips on the plane. ;)

Hi, thanks for the links:)...I really like that "smaller one"....

can that hold a paperback book? I don't own a kindle/tablet.....

I don't have a tablet, either. Yes, it would definitely carry a book. I carried a small guidebook, maps, my wallet, hand wipes, phone and a small point and shoot camera in mine. Probably other little stuff, too. It was tight but can be done. :o

I don't have a tablet, either. Yes, it would definitely carry a book. I carried a small guidebook, maps, my wallet, hand wipes, phone and a small point and shoot camera in mine. Probably other little stuff, too. It was tight but can be done. :o

Hi,:) when I clicked on that link of course some other bags showed

up too.;)....this one is about 2 inches larger all the way around.

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/slingsafe-200-sling-purse/99903?productid=1263880&rlid=detail&rcode=res12021603337051499791933

I think I will go looking this weekend (in person:)).

Hi,:) when I clicked on that link of course some other bags showed

up too.;)....this one is about 2 inches larger all the way around.

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/slingsafe-200-sling-purse/99903?productid=1263880&rlid=detail&rcode=res12021603337051499791933

I think I will go looking this weekend (in person:)).

Lois, take some of the stuff you think you want with you when you try out the bag. The one you linked is rather flat, not much can fit inside it, but if you don't tend to carry much it may work for you.

I can't tell you how many times we've had that bag returned because people just can't use it, not because of the outside measurements, just because the inside is so narrow.

When looking for a cross body bag, some brands have wider straps, some have thin leather straps, some extend further than others. Baggallini has a few choices with wide straps (my preference, easier on the neck) that extend to where it would hit below my waist. Kipling has some very similar.

I'm not a real big fan of PacSafe, mainly the look of them and I believe some of the security features may not even be used as it would be a hassle while traveling. But we do sell a lot of them and they are of good quality.

I can't tell you how many cross body bags I've purchased over the years and I still go back to my Baggallini most of the time. I have leather, nylon and canvas. I have small, large, medium.

I love the Metosafe. Too cute. I do have a pacsafe money belt which I use for the flight after check-in. Makes it easy for bathroom trips on the plane. ;)

A money belt for the flight??? Why would you need that? I have never heard of anyone doing that. I put my stuff in my daypack, have my little lock for my daypack (keeps TSA thieves out of it at the airport), put it either in the overhead or under the seat in front of me, and forget it.

Lois, take some of the stuff you think you want with you when you try out the bag. The one you linked is rather flat, not much can fit inside it, but if you don't tend to carry much it may work for you.

I can't tell you how many times we've had that bag returned because people just can't use it, not because of the outside measurements, just because the inside is so narrow.

When looking for a cross body bag, some brands have wider straps, some have thin leather straps, some extend further than others. Baggallini has a few choices with wide straps (my preference, easier on the neck) that extend to where it would hit below my waist. Kipling has some very similar.

I'm not a real big fan of PacSafe, mainly the look of them and I believe some of the security features may not even be used as it would be a hassle while traveling. But we do sell a lot of them and they are of good quality.

I can't tell you how many cross body bags I've purchased over the years and I still go back to my Baggallini most of the time. I have leather, nylon and canvas. I have small, large, medium.

Hi Kathy:) I know what I want....about 9 inches...north/south,

x 11 east/west.......I have a Lesportsac that would work fine but

I want a strap with the wiring inside (or whatever you want to call it)

for the safety feature;)....

I love Kipling:D

A money belt for the flight??? Why would you need that? I have never heard of anyone doing that. I put my stuff in my daypack, have my little lock for my daypack (keeps TSA thieves out of it at the airport), put it either in the overhead or under the seat in front of me, and forget it.

Again... I was traveling alone and didn't trust anyone not to walk away with my bag if I went to the ladies room on the flight. So for me, it was convenient.

Another vote for Bagallini here, I bought a black one for our last trip, mainly for DH, but I used it on some days too. It had multiple inner zipper pockets & an outer pocket that we used for guidebooks, it was just big enough to slip one in, I bought it at TJ Maxx for a great price, & was pretty happy with it.

Also, the outer main zipper was big enough to use a small carbine clip to hold the zipper to the strap, a little extra layer of protection.

On days where we needed lots stuff I used my leather backpack, but a small cross body bag is more comfortable.

Again... I was traveling alone and didn't trust anyone not to walk away with my bag if I went to the ladies room on the flight. So for me, it was convenient.

I don't blame you! I just saw a video surveillance camera recording of a guy that was going through the x-ray line at FLL and he stole the ladies rolex in front of him out of the plastic bin while she was putting her shoes on! He was able to get away with a $6500 watch! :mad:

I've traveled alone through Europe (and other places) for years. I don't really think the PacSafe bags are necessary, but if they give you peace of mind, then go for it. I've tried them out -- bought one and returned it -- because they do tend to be pretty heavy.

Kipling is my favorite brand -- lightweight but wear like iron. The one I mostly carry is a cross-body bag that has a tether inside, and I have a wallet on a chain that I "tether" to the loop (and then put inside a zipped inner pocket). Most times in Europe, the theft is subtle, it's less likely that your bag will be slashed. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not as common as just a straight up pickpocketing.

If I'm carrying a large amount of money, I use a "secret pocket" that is worn inside your pants or skirt. You can loop it to a belt or, if you're not wearing a belt, you can simply pin it to the inside of your garment.

Hi Kathy:) I know what I want....about 9 inches...north/south,

x 11 east/west.......I have a Lesportsac that would work fine but

I want a strap with the wiring inside (or whatever you want to call it)

for the safety feature;)....

I love Kipling:D

Lois, just try it out if you can before purchasing. The flat PacSafe bags are kind of weird. In that, they look like they would hold a lot like another bag the same size, but there is no "give" to them. It's not like a Baggallini or Kipling that you can stuff, it's very limiting.

If I were to purchase a PacSafe, I'd go with the small purse: http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=PacSafe+City+Safe+100+Secure+Hand+Bag+with+Exomesh+%2D+Black&pf_id=PAOHADMPNJIGKADK&dept_id=11509 the larger one is just too large. They have straps that can be extended to cross body just like the sling safe or metro safe.

BTW, our company recently bought out Magellans, so they will be a part of our company. I don't think there is a formal announcement yet, but it's no secret from us. Our paychecks are different and include both company names now CBNB/Magellans. I'm excited for the addition.

Kathy, I can't believe this......I totally forgot I have a Kipling bag:)

And I love it:D......and that is what I will use!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a crossbody style and I have used it many times. Not sure why

I continue to forget about it:eek:

It is this one:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Kipling+Lancelot+Shoulder+%2F+Travel+Bag+%2D+Shady+Grey&pf_id=PANAADCOOGBAMPJJ&dept_id=12163

It may not look like it holds much...but it does:D...I have it in

a khaki color. No more searching for me:)

Kathy, I can't believe this......I totally forgot I have a Kipling bag:)

And I love it:D......and that is what I will use!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a crossbody style and I have used it many times. Not sure why

I continue to forget about it:eek:

It is this one:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Kipling+Lancelot+Shoulder+%2F+Travel+Bag+%2D+Shady+Grey&pf_id=PANAADCOOGBAMPJJ&dept_id=12163

It may not look like it holds much...but it does:D...I have it in

a khaki color. No more searching for me:)

Love the attachment. Looks like a useful bag. Can't beat the price.

I've traveled alone through Europe (and other places) for years. I don't really think the PacSafe bags are necessary, but if they give you peace of mind, then go for it. I've tried them out -- bought one and returned it -- because they do tend to be pretty heavy.

Kipling is my favorite brand -- lightweight but wear like iron. The one I mostly carry is a cross-body bag that has a tether inside, and I have a wallet on a chain that I "tether" to the loop (and then put inside a zipped inner pocket). Most times in Europe, the theft is subtle, it's less likely that your bag will be slashed. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not as common as just a straight up pickpocketing.

If I'm carrying a large amount of money, I use a "secret pocket" that is worn inside your pants or skirt. You can loop it to a belt or, if you're not wearing a belt, you can simply pin it to the inside of your garment.

Hi Cynthia....check my previous post:)...I totally forgot I have a

Kipling crossbody bag and I LOVE IT:D...you are right, lightweight

but VERY sturdy!

No need for me to look for anything else:D

Hi Cynthia....check my previous post:)...I totally forgot I have a

Kipling crossbody bag and I LOVE IT:D...you are right, lightweight

but VERY sturdy!

No need for me to look for anything else:D

Very cute! I've considered that one. You're right -- Kipling bags seem to hold a lot more than you'd think they do. My son calls mine the "infinite" bag, lol.

I don't have a Lancelot bag (Lois' bag) but I sell a lot of them. It's a standard item with Kipling and that is a good price. The core colors (black, navy, brown, red) hardly ever go on sale, but seasonal colors do.

I worked with a woman at the luggage store who had purchased that bag for a vacation and when she got home, didn't use the bag. She finally started using it to carry her lunch. Great for that, the nylon is hand washable and a little water-resistant. She carried that "lunch bag" for about 4 years until she retired.

Cool! It's like finding money in your pockets when you do laundry! & nice bag, btw!

Thanks:)...and you are right.....I thought about it when Kathy

mentioned Kipling. I actually ran into the spare bedroom and found

it:D

I wasn't even planning on bringing a day bag until I saw this thread. The more I read, the more I thought I should look into it. I looked at Lesportsac, but found it overpriced for the quality and design. I also looked at Kipling, but wasn't sold on that either. Then I saw this one. It was 2/3 the price of the Lesportsac bag, but more importantly, it has a lot of features (pockets, tether, card and coin holders, etc.) that eliminate the need for a wallet, etc., which in the end keeps the space free for other things, like sunglasses, maps, etc. I would have liked a better colour selection and maybe 1 or 2 inches more in width, but all in all, I'm pretty satisfied. Will be using it in two weeks on the RCL NOS.

http://www.ebags.com/product/derek-alexander/small-top-zip-bag-with-organizer/136888?productid=1355083

Archived