Restuarant Prices UP on Oasis??!!

While $10 more (above previous prices) for a couple to go to a specialty dinner isn't that much in comparison to the cost of a cruise, we were already on the fence about whether we would book ANY specialty restaurants for ourselves... I think this is that teeny tiny factor we needed to push us to the side of just sticking with the included dining options!

I was also thinking about buying a dinner at Chops for my parents for one night on the cruise, but I recently read a post where multiple people are complaining about the quality of the food there... So again, I was on the fence... Again, this may be what helps me make that decision too! If people were raving about how much better it has been lately, I would gladly pay the extra!

But eating high quality steak = PRICELESS

I have never eaten a high quality steak in Chops. Mine was awful.

The nickeling and diming is getting out of hand!:eek:

It is your choice to dine in the specialty venues. No one can be nickel and dimed without their permission. :p

It looks like all the speciality restuarant prices went up on the Oasis??? By like $5!!! The nickeling and diming is getting out of hand!:eek:

Price too high? Don't buy it. Doesn't matter what it is. Buy only what you want and what you can afford.

Just because someone is selling a Rolls Royce doesn't mean I have to buy it. It's there for someone who wants to pay the price.

I'm pretty tired of hearing the "nickel and dime" accusation.

There are so many included places to eat on the Oasis, you never need to pay more for food on your cruise.

Six fabulous shows - no extra charge.

Two nightclubs - no extra charge.

Swimming pools, a flowrider, zipline, carousel, miniature golf - no extra charge.

Have a great cruise, wherever you decide to eat and whatever you decide to spend.

Price too high? Don't buy it. Doesn't matter what it is. Buy only what you want and what you can afford.

Just because someone is selling a Rolls Royce doesn't mean I have to buy it. It's there for someone who wants to pay the price.

There are so many included places to eat on the Oasis, you never need to pay more for food on your cruise.

Swimming pools, a flowrider, zipline, carousel, miniature golf - no extra charge.

Have a great cruise, wherever you decide to eat and whatever you decide to spend.

Very well said!! And I agree!

I agree with this - especially the nickle and diming part. I see so many people accuse RCI of this. When in reality it is VERY easy to go on a cruise without spending an extra penny on board. It is nice to have choices. RCI may push more people to make the choice to opt out of specialty dining. If that happens they will adjust their prices accordingly. Their prices are generally what the market will bear. And all the mainstream cruise lines do it this way. I think other cruise lines are worse. Especially their biggest competitor.

For the record I've never had a steak in Chops that wasn't the best I've had anywhere. They've been fabulous. Now chicken? I once was shocked at how small and dried out the organic chicken breast was. I've had way better in the MDR. The lesson I learned - order the filet in Chops. :D

The first night coupon 2 for 1 is still a nice option. $15 each for Chops. :)

I'd really like to be able to use that coupon in Giovanni's.

Gina

It looks like all the speciality restuarant prices went up on the Oasis??? By like $5!!! The nickeling and diming is getting out of hand!:eek:

Not secret or hidden at all

"nickel and dime

Traditionally used as part of the larger phrase "To be nickled and dimed to death", referring to the undesired price of upkeep for a certain item. More fundamentally, it refers simply to seemingly hidden ongoing expenses which, over time, add up to a large expense."

Dining in Specialty restaurants is a matter YOUR personal choice.

As for the price, I compare it to the cost of a meal for two in the better dining establishments in New York and New Jersey. That makes the price very attractive for what you're getting. If I thought the price was too high I wouldn't complain about it, I just wouldn't eat there.

There is an added benefit to eating in the Specialty restaurants on a cruise...portion control. I ate dinner in Specialty restaurants on 5 days of a 7 day cruise and I actually lost 3 pounds. Too bad I couldn't stay onboard for a month. :(

Have you gone grocery shopping lately? Besides that, it's an option. If the prices do not make you happy then dine in the MDR or other places that are included in your cruise fare. I know my monthly expenses continue to rise in everyday living. Not sure why others are surprised that a business has the same issues.

RCCL is a mult-billion dollar coportation that's also publicly traded. Like any other business, expenses rise and profits need to be made. If you're not happy with the increase, go camping or sail with Carnival.

Easy enough just book on a ship that has one.:)

The coupon says it's good for Portofino and Chops. Do you know something I don't? I plan to try Giovanni's anyway in September. But I'd do it the first night if they accepted the coupon.

Gina

RCCL is like any other business. Go camping or sail with Carnival.

Chops still hasn't caught up in price to the Carnival steakhouse. The base price is now the same I think but Carnival charges more than RCI for a second entree in their restaurant. I wouldn't call it nickel and diming, but Carnival does charge more for most things on board over all. Drinks and photos included.

Gina

The coupon says it's good for Portofino and Chops. Do you know something I don't? I plan to try Giovanni's anyway in September. But I'd do it the first night if they accepted the coupon.

Gina

Gina, people have reported using it successfully in Samba Grill, too, and THAT'S not on the coupon.

Go for it.

(I think that a lot of people use it on Chops or 150CP because Giovanni's Table used to be $15pp for dinner, so it wasn't as "good" a discount)

Gina

Is it an old coupon? I know there is a restriction on 150 Park Ave and Chef's Table but was kinda, sorta, maybe sure Giovanni's was ok.:confused: Where is Patti?? :)

Edit...After reading MM's post I guess now I think there is a restriction on 150.

All the ships on the RC Fleet raised their specialty restaurant prices. Chops Grille was from $25 to $30. But eating high quality steak = PRICELESS ;)

The quality of steaks in Chops is better than the steaks in the MDR but I have had far better steaks at restaurants at home. An Omaha Steak filet I had recently was even better than the last filet I had at Chops.

RCCL is a mult-billion dollar coportation that's also publicly traded. Like any other business, expenses rise and profits need to be made. If you're not happy with the increase, go camping or sail with Carnival.

Seems like some pretty poor advice as neither of those two options will hardly help that multi billion dollar corporation's profits will it?

Copied from a previous post.....

Specialty Restaurant First Night BUY ONE GET ONE FREE - (offer includes Chops Grille, Portofino, 150 Central Park Avenue, Solarium Bistro and Giovanni's Table. Only one quest needs to be D+).

Sorry for the previous bad info.

Copied from a previous post.....

Specialty Restaurant First Night BUY ONE GET ONE FREE - (offer includes Chops Grille, Portofino, 150 Central Park Avenue, Solarium Bistro and Giovanni's Table. Only one quest needs to be D+).

Sorry for the previous bad info.

Has anyone actually seen this on a coupon? That would be nice. I didn't know they had printed any new coupons or was this on the old coupons and I never noticed. I admit I wouldn't have noticed if it had restaurants written on the coupons if those places weren't on the ship.

I thought the Solarium Bistro was free.

Gina

Has anyone actually seen this on a coupon? That would be nice. I didn't know they had printed any new coupons or was this on the old coupons and I never noticed. I admit I wouldn't have noticed if it had restaurants written on the coupons if those places weren't on the ship.

I thought the Solarium Bistro was free.

Gina

For the evening meal it becomes a pay to dine venue.

Specialty restaurant prices increased about the same time gratuities went up. Can't slight the folks that work in these restaurants.;)

Also, why do so many people expect cruise prices to remain constant when prices across the board are rising at alarming rates?

I went and checked. I threw away all my old coupons except for a few I might be able to use in the future - such as buy one get one free drink coupons. Now I wish I'd saved one booklet just to see exactly what is written on the restaurant coupon.

Gina

Archived