boarding ship

whiteduv65

Most line let you board up to 4 hours before sailing. Don't get there that early!

One thing is you never know when they will start boarding and Two is that you can't access your cabin that early and you are stuck with your carry on.

The best bet is to wait until 2 to 3 hours before and board. The lines are shorter and you will have tons of time to explore your new home...

Enjoy your cruise and Have A Cocktail For Me!!!:eek: C.G.

Many variables here. When is sail away? Most are 4 or 5pm, but sometimes as late as Midnight. Many cruise lines allow boarding to start around 11:30 or noon, but occaisionally some push it back to 1pm. Then other issues such as late arrivals, inspections and other things can pop up.

So a blanket statement of "4 hours" is near impossible. HAL doesn't allow boarding until the cabins are available, so lugging your carry on isn't an issue. Again, many many variables.

You might want to try the forum for the particular cruise line that you booked and be sure to mention your embarkation port. There will surely be people there who know "the drill" and can advise you more specifically.

We're also among those who board as early as possible. If the ship is leaving in the late afternoon, that means we're at the pier around 10:30 or 11, ready to get on board. Unless there is somethng that has delayed boarding -- a ship inspection, an extra cleaning -- we're on board by noon.

On our recent cruises we've boarded at 3 p.m. and the ship has left port around 10 in the evening. We've had the whole afternoon to explore the ship, watch people (and in our case goods, as the ships we were on were ferries) come on board, had a leisurely dinner, enjoyed the evening.

The only *sure* thing is that you need to be on board at least 90 minutes before the ship is to set sail, to get through security and all!

We like to board as early as possible....boarding day is the 1st day of the cruise you've paid for...no sense in waiting and wasting a half day's worth of your fare!!!! Use that ship!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!

I get on board as soon as possible. So what if I am sitting on the promenade deck looking over the port. I'm on a ship:D.

Last two times we have gotten to embarkation within minutes of their opening and walked right onto the ship with no delays. Once in San Juan, we were actually the first three people in line--woo-hoo!

I'm not going to cool my heels in a restaurant or a hotel room for a couple of hours when I can start my vacation immediately!

Boarding early is best, IMHO, because you can wander around and get your bearings and have a nice lunch. My only suggestion would be to keep your carry-ons to a minimum. If you cannot get into your room immediately, you'll have to lug them as you wander. Having your swim suit easily available in your carry on or under your clothes means you can enjoy the pool while others envy you!

Have fun!

We like to get there early, I have watched people running for the ship as we are about to leave. Plus you paid for it, might as well get on. As far as getting off the ship we like to be the first one's off, time to go, as the ship wants the next bunch in to spend their money... :)

We like to board as early as possible....boarding day is the 1st day of the cruise you've paid for...no sense in waiting and wasting a half day's worth of your fare!!!! Use that ship!

We totally agree! At the very least we have lunch, get our soda stickers, wander the ship in order to figure out where everything is. Cabins are usually ready by 1, so we drop our stuff off then.

If weather permits, we have the kids' swim suits in the carry ons and they go for a dip in the mostly empty pools!

We are early arrivals as well. We too believe that the first day is so exciting and as soon as that ship is cleared to enter, we are there. We like to watch the people arriving later still in their street clothes, lugging their stuff onboard, while we relax in a lounger on the top deck with an icy cold umbrella drink in hand. I paid for a 7 day cruise, I'm going to use the ship for 7 days!! WoooHooo!

I'm an early arriver, too, particularly if the port city isn't very exciting to us. We fly in a day early to assure we'll make it, then have a leisurely breakfast, a short walk around the hotel area, then off to the ship.

We don't bring a carry-on with us to the ship, except a small purse. Everything else is checked with the porters. We usually only have to wait in line for about 10 minutes to check in, then sit and wait for about 20 minutes to board if we are there around 11:00.

We head up to the pool deck, grab a bucket of beers and relax, watching everyone wander around (many clamoring for fooooooood!!!!). We are usually doing fine after our big breakfast, so don't worry about eating until about 2:00 with a snack.

NCL usually allows guests to leave their carryon bags in a designated lounge/room (you check them with a staff person) until staterooms are ready around 2:00. Just like a hotel.

So, I wouldn't bother getting there until after 10:30 a.m. Go later (1:00ish) if you have other things to do/are driving in that morning and you'll miss the "hurry up and wait" routine.

My dad taught me early in life to NEVER be late for anything (especially curfew)! LOL

So, my wife and I get to the port early. As early as possible.

On our first cruise, we got on around 11am. We took our belongings and found lunch.

From there, we found a place to sit and people watch till our room was ready.

We will continue to operate this way, because it just fits us well.

Its your vacation. Enjoy it!

Many variables here. When is sail away? Most are 4 or 5pm, but sometimes as late as Midnight. Many cruise lines allow boarding to start around 11:30 or noon, but occaisionally some push it back to 1pm. Then other issues such as late arrivals, inspections and other things can pop up.

So a blanket statement of "4 hours" is near impossible. HAL doesn't allow boarding until the cabins are available, so lugging your carry on isn't an issue. Again, many many variables.

:confused: I haven't been denied boarding on HAL because my stateroom wasn't available. On my Alaska cruise, the rooms weren't ready when we boarded so we went to the Lido for lunch (with our carry ons). On our Panama cruise, the room was ready as soon as we got on. HAL has a new policy that rooms should be available at 11:30 on day of embarkation.

John

Boarding early is best, IMHO, because you can wander around and get your bearings and have a nice lunch. My only suggestion would be to keep your carry-ons to a minimum. If you cannot get into your room immediately, you'll have to lug them as you wander. Having your swim suit easily available in your carry on or under your clothes means you can enjoy the pool while others envy you!

Have fun!

Could not agree more. Back pack , back pack, back pack... after the buffet lunch take the tour of ship... find out the spa offerings, etc

Archived