Pinnacle Grill versus MDR

Wayfairers

I have never eaten at the Pinnacle Grill. IMO I have paid for one meal, why pay additional $$? Is it really that much better than the MDR? What does it compare to onshore.... C in Cabo (Charlie Trotter's amazing restaurant) or Outback Steakhouse? Does the PG used aged, prime beef or something else?

Pinnacle Grill beef is very much better than an Outback. The service and atmosphere are two different worlds , Outback vs. Pinnacle. Pinnacle is more like Morton's or Captail Grill, though IMO, not quite that level all the time. We are rarely disappointed.

We never sail without dining in Pinnacle at least once or twice depending upon length of cruise.I'm not familiar with your Charlie Trotter place. Maybe that chain has not come to the Northeast.

We don't have a Trotters in our area.

We ate once at Outback -- I couldn't even chew the beef it was so tough.

The cuts of meat selected for the Pinnacle are a much better quality than what is served in the main dining room. The last couple of times I ordered beef in the dining room -- it was tough.

JMO

Very limited experience, but I don't think it is worth the extra money for the food alone. Its worst fault seems to be the inconsistency of quality. Pays your money and takes your chances is not enough of a recommendations for me. Sizzler was a better option the night we went. Others put it right up there with Ruth's Chris. But one may want to choose this alternate setting because it is lovely, smaller and quieter. Also if one wants to either dine alone or join others than their assigned table mates, if in fixed dining.

C is one of chef Charlie Trotter's restaurants. He has a few very high end restaurants... Charlie Trotters in Chicago and Las Vegas and C at La Palmilla resort in Cabo San Lucas. I used that example for the highest end and Outback as the lowest end I would expect from PG.

C is one of chef Charlie Trotter's restaurants. He has a few very high end restaurants... Charlie Trotters in Chicago and Las Vegas and C at La Palmilla resort in Cabo San Lucas. I used that example for the highest end and Outback as the lowest end I would expect from PG.

The very highest end I should say. Certainly not a chain steakhouse, as you say, and in the $100-$200+ pp range. His Chicago restaurant is ranked as one of the top 5 in the country and high on the list of best restaurants worldwide. No, PG is not an Outback, but nothing like the cuisine of Chef Charlie Trotter either, not at $25. ;)

I used that example for the highest end and Outback as the lowest end I would expect from PG.

Then the correct answer is somewhere in between ;) Sometimes closer to one, and then sometimes closer to the other. The experience varies by ship, time, chef, etc. but in general, it is quite enjoyable and definitely more relaxing than the Main Dining Room.

I have never eaten at the Pinnacle Grill. IMO I have paid for one meal, why pay additional $$? Is it really that much better than the MDR? What does it compare to onshore.... C in Cabo (Charlie Trotter's amazing restaurant) or Outback Steakhouse? Does the PG used aged, prime beef or something else?

If you can't tell the difference between the PG and Outback, I dont know what to tell you.

Its not even close.

If you can't tell the difference between the PG and Outback, I dont know what to tell you.

Its not even close.

I can't tell the difference because as I said I have never been to the PG.... that is why I am asking those who have been :)

When you say it's not even close do you mean Outback is much better or worse than PG? What onshore restaurant would you compare PG to?

with The Palm, Morton's or Ruth Chris but it sure isn't down at the level of Outback and it's a lot quieter. I never ate at Charlie Trotter's but he does advise HAL on Menus. Surprisingly the best steaks on a ship were in the supper club on the Carnival Legend but they grilled them right in the dining room.

Darn, I was hoping it would be along the lines of The Palm, etc. Since they charge for it I was hoping they had a good chef. Sounds like it is a good place to eat when you want a private dinner, but that the food expectations shouldn't be very high.

By the way, I highly recommended one of Charlie Trotter's restaurants for a special meal.

A couple more questions..

Do you have the option of eating at larger tables like ATD where you tell them the table size you want and you are seated with whoever has an opening or do you reserve a table for just your group?

Can you walk in without a reservation?

I've never had a bad meal at the Pinnacle. The creme brulee dessert is to die for( and this from a chocolate lover who used to order the chocolate volcano. The service is exceptional and the steaks are aged and delicious. I find it a special treat to have dinner there.

As one who has cruised for over 40 years in my opinion extra charge restaurants are not what traditional cruising is all about...I find it surprising that there are those on this board who are very traditional in most aspects of cruising are very supportive of a extra charge restaurant.

As one who has cruised for over 40 years in my opinion extra charge restaurants are not what traditional cruising is all about...I find it surprising that there are those on this board who are very traditional in most aspects of cruising are very supportive of a extra charge restaurant.

Traditions evolve over time and having more options can hardly be a bad thing. Everybody benefits.

I agree! The MDR should be good enough so that there is no need for a premium venue.

Also, alternative restaurants create havoc with respect to staffing the traditional fixed-seating dining room. Who knows how many passengers are going to show up for dinner at a given table?

igraf

I don't mind the extra charge restaurants as long as the MDR exists and I have the option of choosing not to spend the extra money. My biggest concern when the extra charge restaurants started was that eventually that would be the only dining options on board. So far, that isn't happening.

The food is good - but not quite up to all the hype made of it IMO. The china, cutley, glassware, service, and the atmosphere are quite lovely however and that in itself MAY make it wort it for some.

As I said in another post I would take the Tamarind over PG any day.

The food is good - but not quite up to all the hype made of it IMO. The china, cutley, glassware, service, and the atmosphere are quite lovely however and that in itself MAY make it wort it for some.

As I said in another post I would take the Tamarind over PG any day.

Forgive my ignorance.... what ship is the Tamarind on?

Traditions evolve over time and having more options can hardly be a bad thing. Everybody benefits.

Times, people and traditions change over time. If society remains stagnant, it doesn't survive.

I love having choices.... the more (within reason), the better.

The Main Dining Rooms on HAL ships ARE good. No one need dine anywhere but there if that is what they wish. The MDR serves more variety, more beautifully served, prepared more expertly than a large number of cruisers ever experience at home.

I agree! The MDR should be good enough so that there is no need for a premium venue.

Also, alternative restaurants create havoc with respect to staffing the traditional fixed-seating dining room. Who knows how many passengers are going to show up for dinner at a given table?

igraf

They monitor traffic in the various dining venues and adjust staffing. One one cruise on the Eurodam the MDR was very busy on the first night and I noticed Canaletto waiters working in the Open Dining area; later when I asked the Chief Culinary Officer about it he said that it was quiet in Canaletto that night so they moved some staff over to help with Open Dining which was busier than usual on the first night.

Thanks soldham & Boytjie!

I am one of those people sail7seas is talking about that doesn't have many dining choices in my hometown.... that is one of the reasons I travel most of the year :D I love trying new foods and trying to cook some of them when I return home!

Does the PA work like the MDR and you can order multiple dishes in each course? Can you try something and return it and order something else if you didn't like it?

Archived