Pinnacle Grill versus MDR

Wayfairers

ooooohh.... PG has wine pairing dinners???? How do you find out when these are?

See the attached menu from the Cellar Master Dinner on our recent Prinsendam Celtic Circle cruise around the British Isles.

We ate at the Pinnacle 5 nights of 14, including this special wine pairing dinner.

The food and service was spectacular each night.

To find out about the Cellar Master or wine-pairing dinner, see the Pinnacle Grill manager the first day. They often sell out quickly.

PDM_CM_Menu.pdf

See the attached menu from the Cellar Master Dinner on our recent Prinsendam Celtic Circle cruise around the British Isles.

We ate at the Pinnacle 5 nights of 14, including this special wine pairing dinner.

The food and service was spectacular each night.

To find out about the Cellar Master or wine-pairing dinner, see the Pinnacle Grill manager the first day. They often sell out quickly.

Thanks so very much :D We've always had great PG meals so I guess we were lucky. Nice to hear that the PG on the P'dam is worth it. Really appreciate this:)

$25 might get you a wedge salad at Mortons.

:D You aren't kidding. I had the sliced tomato and blue cheese salad and can't say for sure how much it cost but I'm guessing in the $16 or so range...... :o it sure was good though.

We've had some really excellent meals in Pinnacle, as well.

Just to qualify my comments on not being in love with the Pinnacles Grill.

I am nor my wife, a steak lover, but rather like to dine on lighter and more classic fare . If they had Grilled Duck breast or Lamb loin, , or any of the wonderfull classics of French inspired and French Fusion things that would get my attention and $$$ not a steak. except a Tornedo Rossins, wich is much more than just a filet

4 stars?

While anyone can make up to subscribe to any standard the world standard has been Michelin for decades.... and 3 stars in the top class and very few in the world .

Just to qualify my comments on not being in love with the Pinnacles Grill.

I am nor my wife, a steak lover, but rather like to dine on lighter and more classic fare . If they had Grilled Duck breast or Lamb loin, , or any of the wonderfull classics of French inspired and French Fusion things that would get my attention and $$$ not a steak. except a Tornedo Rossins, wich is much more than just a filet

4 stars?

While anyone can make up to subscribe to any standard the world standard has been Michelin for decades.... and 3 stars in the top class and very few in the world .

But that's a very different sort of restaurant. No restaurant should ever attempt to be all things. Pinnacle is basically a steakhouse.

Like you, we've enjoyed a meal or two in fine French restaurants, as well. But I don't expect French Fusion in a steakhouse.

:) And...... it's hard to go wrong selecting to dine in a Michelin three star. :eek: What a treat!!

:) And...... it's hard to go wrong selecting to dine in a Michelin three star. :eek: What a treat!!

A Michelin "1 star" is actually a more refined experience than the Pinnacle Grill both in menu selections and atmosphere. The service is definitely a few notches above.

Not at all putting down the Pinnacle Grill which we enjoy, but Michelin rated restaurants are on another level.

A Michelin "1 star" is actually a more refined experience than the Pinnacle Grill both in menu selections and atmosphere. The service is definitely a few notches above.

Not at all putting down the Pinnacle Grill which we enjoy, but Michelin rated restaurants are on another level.

..... and on another price level. Which Michelin one star serves dinner for $20 pp including espresso/cappucino if one wants?

ASIDE: A number of years ago, I spent a week going to 6 Michelin one-star restaurants all around Switzerland. Everyday I would show up without reservations for their fixed price daily menu - approx $40-60 back then. There is nothing on HAL or even on Crystal that remotely comes close to that one-star Michelin restaurant experience. Sorry.

But anyone looking for a fantastic land-based travel adventure, I certainly can recommend taking your Michelin Red and a map of Switzerland and having the time of your life with a week long train pass, an empty stomach and some very surprising and remote finds. Dining in Switzerland is vastly under-rated. All of my six choices were definitely "worth a journey".

..... and on another price level. Which Michelin one star serves dinner for $20 pp including espresso/cappucino if one wants?

But, it isn't $20... it is $20 on top of whatever you paid for dinner in the MDR when you booked the cruise.

We cruiised for the first time for 28 days on the Ryndam through the Panama Canal in September 2010. We went to the PG four times and found it great. Steak was superb. The creme brule was fanatastic. It was never crowded at any time we went the service people were falling all over themselves. We cruise in Sept. to the South Pacific and will once again patronize the PG.

But, it isn't $20... it is $20 on top of whatever you paid for dinner in the MDR when you booked the cruise.

Okay...... so how much is food budget per person per day on the ships? Would dinner be $4, $5?

Still very low price total for the meal served in Pinnacle IMO

FYI....I was not referring to the Pinnacle Grill as a Four Star Michelin rated restaurant. I was referring to it as a Four Star rated restauarant by most restaurant critics throughout the world. There are even cruise critic reviews that refer to the Pinnacle Grill as a four star restaurant.

99.5 percent of the world's population has never dined in a Michelin rated restaurant, let alone a 3 star rated Michelin restaurant, as Le Cirque once was.

Why in all that is good in the world would anyone think that an average passenger on Holland America or any other upscale cruise line would use Michelin as a reference? A very small part of the world population even knows that there are Michelin star ratings for restaurants.

Some of the statements made by OPs are somewhat offensive for the average person in the world to take. They may even be considered racist by many people of color.

This especially true for those who are complaining about the small price increase for enjoying the Pinnacle Grill experience.

It sounds like many of the OP's should save thier $25.00 and eat at the Lido Buffet where they would be most comfortable.....hehe

soccer

Why in all that is good in the world would anyone think that an average passenger on Holland America or any other upscale cruise line would use Michelin as a reference? A very small part of the world population even knows that there are Michelin star ratings for restaurants.

Some of the statements made by OPs are somewhat offensive for the average person in the world to take. They may even be considered racist by many people of color.

Perhaps only a very small part of the world population knows that there are Michelin star ratings for restaurants, but then only a very small part of the world population is fortunate enough to be even an average passenger on a upscale cruise line. Why wouldn't the two overlap in more cases than not?

And what post did you deem racist? I looked again and couldn't find any. BTW, OP means original poster. There's only one per thread.

Yes, this is the real price, regardless of what others say.

As to be expected, there are varied opinions about the quality of food and service in the PG. We have only one experience. That was on our first HAL cruise, on the Westerdam. We booked the PG for our first night on board. We though it a good idea to try it. The service was poor. The wine steward was surly after finding that I wanted only a glass and DW did not drink wine. The waiter was not good. He poured our coffee from the wrong side, or wherever he happened to be, rather than correctly. I cannot recall our orders, but they were only so-so for quality.

HAL is not the only line to under-preform in specialty restaurants. We have tried the Italian specialty restaurants on RCL twice and found generally the same. We lived in Italy for several months, and the food in these places was nowhere near Italian.

The cruise lines are using these alternate restaurants to enhance revenue. That's OK, but the random quality for food and service is not for us. We'll take our chances in the MDR. If we don't like what we are served, we'll sent it back for something else.

Bob :cool:

Euro and NA. As far as why spend extra for Pinnacle, it's like choosing a local restaurant where you know the entire menu and can taste what they prepare by reading it or trying something upscale for the experience. Since the HAL menus are quite similar on every ship and each day, the Pinnacle offers a change. It's also quieter and less hurried than the main dining rooms. On the other hand, it's not the finest restaurant we have ever dined at.

I've had a good and bad experience with PG. We tried it on our first HAL cruise on Maasdam. We'd sailed RC in the past and expected the experience to be similar to RC's Chops restaurant. We ended up being very disappointed. I don't eat red meats so I knew there would be a limited number of things that I would eat. I just didn't realize how limited. There was lobster and lobster mac & cheese on the menu, but I was informed they were out of lobster. I was surprised since it was still early (4th night of 14) in the cruise. The crab cakes were good and so was the creme brulee but the salmon was extremely dry with no seasonings. I didn't eat most of it. My husband enjoyed his filet and the duck breast appetizer. The real problem was the service was just plain bad! We had to ask every time we needed anything - no automatically refilling water glasses, no taking away dirty dishes, no bar server asking if we wanted drinks. It was not what we expected from a cruise specialty restaurant.

We sailed on Zuiderdam in April. We thought about eating at PG but based on our previous experience decided not to bother. On our first full cruise day, we had a stop at HMC. We had the cabana butler service, which includes lunch provided by PG. The food and service were wonderful. We decided to give PG a try for lunch the next day. Again, we greatly enjoyed both the food and the service. We decided to make reservations for dinner to give PG yet another try. By then (2nd full day of cruise) the only times left for dinner reservations were 6 PM or earlier. :( We decided that was simply too early for us so didn't have dinner at PG on Zuiderdam. Next cruise, I'll know to make dinner PG reservations online ahead of time.

I've had a good and bad experience with PG. We tried it on our first HAL cruise on Maasdam. We'd sailed RC in the past and expected the experience to be similar to RC's Chops restaurant. We ended up being very disappointed. I don't eat red meats so I knew there would be a limited number of things that I would eat. I just didn't realize how limited. There was lobster and lobster mac & cheese on the menu, but I was informed they were out of lobster. I was surprised since it was still early (4th night of 14) in the cruise. The crab cakes were good and so was the creme brulee but the salmon was extremely dry with no seasonings. I didn't eat most of it. My husband enjoyed his filet and the duck breast appetizer. The real problem was the service was just plain bad! We had to ask every time we needed anything - no automatically refilling water glasses, no taking away dirty dishes, no bar server asking if we wanted drinks. It was not what we expected from a cruise specialty restaurant.

We sailed on Zuiderdam in April. We thought about eating at PG but based on our previous experience decided not to bother. On our first full cruise day, we had a stop at HMC. We had the cabana butler service, which includes lunch provided by PG. The food and service were wonderful. We decided to give PG a try for lunch the next day. Again, we greatly enjoyed both the food and the service. We decided to make reservations for dinner to give PG yet another try. By then (2nd full day of cruise) the only times left for dinner reservations were 6 PM or earlier. :( We decided that was simply too early for us so didn't have dinner at PG on Zuiderdam. Next cruise, I'll know to make dinner PG reservations online ahead of time.

Then, I would hope that you did NOT leave a tip! :eek: I don't, whether the service was poor or superb, as the staff are compensated out of the daily service charge of $11.00 per person, per day (soon, apparantly, to be $12.00)! :(

HAL is not the only line to under-preform in specialty restaurants. We have tried the Italian specialty restaurants on RCL twice and found generally the same. We lived in Italy for several months, and the food in these places was nowhere near Italian.

Bob :cool:

Also lived in Italy for a number of years and realized "Italian" cooking is little more than perfect ingredients prepared simply. If the ingredients are not perfect, just assembling the parts is not "Italian". One of the worst Italian speciality restaurants is Prego on Crystal, and coming in a close second was the Italian specialty night in the MV Discovery Yacht Club. (They should stop trying.)

Yet to try Canaletto, but my expectations would be fairly low if I did. We are content and often very pleased with the MDR because we go in expecting large volume "banquet" food and usually find very adequate presentations of such.

GeriatricNurse,

If you mean did we leave any extra cash, no we did not. We had to give the bar waiter the 15% since that is part of the drink charge, but he didn't deserve it, in my opinion. Our waiter didn't ask if we wanted additional drinks when he initially filled our water. We assumed incorrectly that a bar waiter would come by for drink orders. We saw a bar waiter and tried to get his attention, but he never came by our table so we thought he must not work our section. I think we were our waiter's only table because we rarely saw him. We finally asked another waiter if he could send a bar waiter over. It was the same bar waiter that had ignored us.

When we were leaving the guy by the door (I wasn't sure his position) asked if we had enjoyed our meal. We made a comment that the service was sub-standard. He mumbled an apology but didn't seem too interested in hearing about it so we left.

My experience with the Pinnacle Grill is limited to the Oosterdam some years ago, and the Noordam many times more recently. On all our cruises, we eat in the Pinnacle a few times, and have always been happy with our food, especially the steaks. The quality is excellent, and the preparation precise in our experience.

My family has been in the cattle business for generations, and the beef in the Pinnacle is quite good quality, much like that served in a good steak house. The range of side dishes is limited, and sometimes they are not as well-prepared as I'd like, but the surcharge is smaller than in other cruise line alternative restaurants, so I take that into consideration.

In recent years, the wait staff has been friendly but far less experienced overall. It's wonderful to escape the noisy main dining room and enjoy a quiet, delicious meal in the Pinnacle. Again, my experience is limited to the Noordam, on which we have sailed often.

I can't tell the difference because as I said I have never been to the PG.... that is why I am asking those who have been :)

When you say it's not even close do you mean Outback is much better or worse than PG? What onshore restaurant would you compare PG to?

The Pinnacle Grill offers a fine dining experience---tablecloths, good china, impeccable service, quiet atmosphere etc. People dress up to go the the Pinnacle and spend a long time over dinner savouring the experience.

The Outback is a noisy chow house. That is not to say I don't enjoy Outback, because I do very much. However I do not dress to go there and the wait staff can be rather rough around the edges. In the Pinnacle you will never hear "Are youse guys ready to order?" Nobody snatches your plate the minute you finish---they wait until everyone at the table has finished a course.

Archived