premium liquor package?

horsesandcruises

going on celebrity constellation this winter and was wondering if in my case, the premium liquor package is worth the $.....I only drink california chardonnays and would like to know if good quality glasses of it are available in not only the dining room, but also at all of the bars onboard. thanks so much for any info......:confused:

going on celebrity constellation this winter and was wondering if in my case, the premium liquor package is worth the $.....I only drink california chardonnays and would like to know if good quality glasses of it are available in not only the dining room, but also at all of the bars onboard. thanks so much for any info......:confused:

If you mean that you do not think anything but wine then I would think that the premium package would not be a good choice. If you do find value in the rest of the package buy drinking other things besides wine then from my experience you would need the premium over the classic to get a better choice of wines.

"good quality" is a subjective and relative term.

There has been only one California chardonnay on the by-the-gass list (maybe 2 if their house brand is from CA) and depending on your standards you may or may not consider this a good one. If you like a variety of wines you may be disappointed in the wine by the glass list as it is extremely limited in comparison to the wide selection of wines available by the bottle. For example in comparison to the 2 chardonnays on the by the glass list there were 27 chardonnays, including a dozen from California, on the main dining room list.

I have a copy of dining room wine lists (both bottled and by the glass) from a couple recent cruises. Click here for links to these.

The selection at most of the bars on the ship is as limited, or more so, than the wine by the glass list in the dining room. The most notable exception is Cellarmasters on the S class ships and the Constellation (soon to be added to the Infinity, Summit and Millennium) but most of the wines there are served from automated machines which are not included in the beverage packages.

Larry:

Do you by chance have a copy (or can direct me to) a wine list from Cellarmasters? I'm also not that thrilled with the choices from the MDR menus, but am hoping the wines by the glass at Cellarmasters will be better.

Thanks!

thanks so much for the feedback, i just got off of the phone with the cel cust service rep and for the classic package, it would run about $50 a day. About the only chard that you could drink under that plan is the st francis chard, which retail for $10 a bottle...Does not sound like a great plan unless you drank the other beverages that are also offered with this plan.......Oh well, there is always the secondary smuggler market(meant for humor purposes only), due to the a------- on these threads that pose their wills on the smugglers. thanks again for your help.:p

Larry:

Do you by chance have a copy (or can direct me to) a wine list from Cellarmasters? I'm also not that thrilled with the choices from the MDR menus, but am hoping the wines by the glass at Cellarmasters will be better.

Thanks!

No I don't. If you search the main thread you might find one, but most of the wines in Cellarmasters are in Enomatic wine machines so there is no list for those. The Enomatic machines are not available under the beverage plans. The printed wine list was fairly short but had some nice wines on it. From our observations the machines get very little use and when we've tried them with a small taste the wine hasn't tasted very good. I'm guessing these machines are designed more for keeping the wine decent for days as opposed to weeks or longer.

Note that if you're ordering by the bottle you can order any wine on the ship in any bar, but if you do so it would help if you pre-arrainge this as during busy times the bartender might not be able to get a bottle for you so it could take a while. Once opened you can have the bottles saved for another night or sent to/from the dining room and your stateroom.

thanks so much for the feedback, i just got off of the phone with the cel cust service rep and for the classic package, it would run about $50 a day. About the only chard that you could drink under that plan is the st francis chard, which retail for $10 a bottle...Does not sound like a great plan unless you drank the other beverages that are also offered with this plan.......Oh well, there is always the secondary smuggler market(meant for humor purposes only), due to the a------- on these threads that pose their wills on the smugglers. thanks again for your help.:p

My recent experience was that the plan would not have been worth it had I not also done the fresh squeezed juice, water and coffees. Normally I would have passed on those extras but with the plan, it was a no brainer.

Thanks Larry. Yes, we would typically order by the bottle, but (as you can probably tell), I am weighing the classic & premium packages. I did find a bar menu, and liked a few of the glass wine choices.

Thanks Larry. Yes, we would typically order by the bottle, but (as you can probably tell), I am weighing the classic & premium packages. I did find a bar menu, and liked a few of the glass wine choices.

i am sure that i will find a way to quench my thirst on the connie, but first things first, a week in vegas next month.....thank god the orleans and southpoint both have a well stocked liquor store with plenty of chilled kendall jackson chard....Life if good.:cool:

You know you can bring two bottles of wine per cabin onboard with you right? We had the premium alcohol package and loved it, but we liked the variety and everything you could get with it, not just alcohol. It was really worth it for us.

I'm an ABC wine drinker, so I can't address your question exactly. The wine selections seemed tovary from venue to venue with there being just a few standards. MDR seemed to have more options.

What's an ABC wine drinker? Do you work your way through the list alphabetically?

The X website really stinks on trying to book a wine package. It tells you some of the wines that are part of the package, but you have to start buying the package before you know the price for the package.

The X website really stinks on trying to book a wine package. It tells you some of the wines that are part of the package, but you have to start buying the package before you know the price for the package.

I'd wait until you are on board because the wines available for the packages on each ship seem to vary. I would make sure that your ship has "your wine" as part of the package...otherwise it is not too much of a deal.

I'd wait until you are on board because the wines available for the packages on each ship seem to vary. I would make sure that your ship has "your wine" as part of the package...otherwise it is not too much of a deal.

Good point. My understanding is that for some reason they don't offer the wine package on the S class ships. On our constellation cruise there was a page at the back of the wine list (see my link above) for the MDR which listed the wines available under the different packages.

For a Chardonnay drinker, I wouldn't think the package would be worthwhile. There weren't many decent choices under $12 on my last couple Solstice cruises. For a chard, which I do enjoy in the warmer summer months, I'd much rather just go by the bottle in the MDR and have them keep it from one night to the next.

I agree w/ the general consensus. I like wine w/ my meals but usually red. However, I don't think the Premium package would be worth it to me unless I also visited the Martini bar (often) the Molecular bar (oftener) and got the coffees in Cafe al Bacio (oftenest) as well as bottled water.

I've obviously had a sheltered life in this respect.

Is being an ABC drinker something to do with wine snobs looking down on those that drink such things as chardonnay?

I like chardonnay with fish. I generally prefer red wine like Cab or Shiraz that is dry. I can take sweet wine like Riesling once in a while.

I've obviously had a sheltered life in this respect.

Is being an ABC drinker something to do with wine snobs looking down on those that drink such things as chardonnay?

No, not the case at all. For me it goes back many years (well before the linked article) when "Chardonnay" was everywhere and one could never be certain what taste would be in the next bottle.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/30/garden/wine-talk-465895.html

Archived