Traveling with a hungry teen

bakery

We're traveling on the port-intensive Emerald Princess next week I should start by saying that I'd never take food from the dining room at breakfast to eat lunch on-shore. However, I have a 13-year old who is growing and is constantly hungry. No matter how much she eats for breakfast, she'll be hungry in an hour and a half! So, do you think it's okay to take an extra muffin at breakfast to tide her over on-shore until lunch time?

I would suggest taking some packaged (wrapped) snacks with you in your luggage if she can't make it to the next meal and must eat that often. As long as they are in their original packaging, it won't be a problem taking them off the ship.

I absolutely agree with taking only "factory sealed" snacks off the ship. Last year on the CB we witnessed an older woman who had a clear plastic bag of M&Ms (probably purchased from the bulk section of her local supermarket) and refused to surrender them at the gangway prior to disembarking at the port. When security did not allow her to take them off the ship, she turned around and headed back, probably to return them to her room. This was after waiting about 25 minutes in line to disembark!

We've cruised to Mexico, and in all the ports Mexican authorities (aka armed military personnel) had dogs sniffing the bags being carried by disembarking passengers. Food items were confiscated and dumped into trash barrels.

We frequently have lunch in port - it's just part of the cruise experience for us. However, it's not hard to find inexpensive snacks and such in port if lunch isn't feasible.

Bakery,

One of our packing items is always a supply of zip-lock Baggies. On the Emerald they have a wonderful International cafe' and we often take a muffin or croissant or two and put them in the baggie for a snack. I am not sure where you are traveling in-we have never had a problem doing this and are more confident in the health/sanitary standards on the ships than in some places ashore!

Bakery,

One of our packing items is always a supply of zip-lock Baggies. On the Emerald they have a wonderful International cafe' and we often take a muffin or croissant or two and put them in the baggie for a snack. I am not sure where you are traveling in-we have never had a problem doing this and are more confident in the health/sanitary standards on the ships than in some places ashore!

As stated above, some ports will not allow you to take "unpackaged" food off of the ship. Food from the IC in a baggie would constitute unpackaged.

And, there will be food onshore...the residents eat, too!

I have to laugh at this CB, I was thinking the same thing, LOL!

But, in reference to the OP. We always have Granola type snacks (buy them at grocery store already in small packages) that we bring from home in our carry on for our air travel. These are great to throw in a back pack or tote bag for shore excursions. Then you will have a little something along with you for your hungry teen.

I would consider devoting some luggage space for packaged goodies. Prepackaged snacks were available, but pricey, onboard, and the snacks they are used to will cost more than in the US. (Remember that they are 'importing' the items, including transport by sea).

I like to bring some Cliff bars, and the like. If they have favorite candy or other snacks...they can bring what they like to eat. (And once consumed, they leave space in the luggage for souveneirs ;) ). Also, consider bringing on their own beverages..if they do not like the brands the ship carries. :rolleyes:

Be careful of pre-packaged snacks containing meat as well. Beef Jerky is a prime example. Customs and Agriculture rules vary by country and the inspector you get that day, but generally speaking pre-packaged and labeled foods are ok..

I absolutely agree with taking only "factory sealed" snacks off the ship. Last year on the CB we witnessed an older woman who had a clear plastic bag of M&Ms (probably purchased from the bulk section of her local supermarket) and refused to surrender them at the gangway prior to disembarking at the port. When security did not allow her to take them off the ship, she turned around and headed back, probably to return them to her room. This was after waiting about 25 minutes in line to disembark!

We've cruised to Mexico, and in all the ports Mexican authorities (aka armed military personnel) had dogs sniffing the bags being carried by disembarking passengers. Food items were confiscated and dumped into trash barrels.

We frequently have lunch in port - it's just part of the cruise experience for us. However, it's not hard to find inexpensive snacks and such in port if lunch isn't feasible.

FYI because the authorities carry semi-automatic weapons and wear para-military uniforms does not make them military. Many port authority and national police forces wear them for the convenience of carrying multiple items.

Not solely unique to Mexico. Australia and New Zealand have some of the tightest restrictions anywhere. If caught ashore in Oz with "contraband" food items, you can be fined up to AUD$20,000 on the spot. Fines are somewhat similar in NZ.

This is why you will find that most lines (including Princess) will make announcements to the effect that no food items may be taken ashore off the vessel. Similarly, notification of the same information will be included in your Patter or in the Port information brochure provided to your stateroom the evening before arrival in port.

Ciao for now!!!

As others have said (and having lived with starving teenagers myself), I would definitely bring Cliff bars or Luna bars. Some of them have a lot of calories and protein. Starbucks sells some bars that are just fruit and nuts, no soy stuff, they are really good.

Try some before the cruise and see which ones she thinks are tastiest ... although my boyos inhaled their food so fast I'm not sure it mattered what it tasted like. Prepackaged sleeves of nuts, cheese crackers, the small sealed snack packs of dried fruit ... all easy to pack, easy to carry, and easy to munch.

It is tempting, the idea to carry food off the buffet, but not worth breaking rules and/or laws for!

I cruised on the Sapphire to Mexico this past April and had a different experience -- did not see a single armed guard or any guard for that matter and no dogs. No one checked bags as we were disembarking and no one confiscated anything.

On some trips in the Caribbean they post information about food in the patter & on other trips, not a word, Very inconsistent, and I've never seen anyone ask about it when departing the ship or for that matter even so much as a sign indication it was prohibited.
If they post the information in the Patter, it means it's a local, regional or country regulation. Most countries try to protect their agricultural industry. It's up to us to respect that and not to think in terms of, "How can a silly muffin ruin their agriculture?" Just try to arrive in the US with an apple or banana in your carry-on. I've seen people surrounded by officials and taken away.

While this will be my first cruise (hurry up March!) I travel a great deal internatonally for fun - with family and friends and sometimes with teens. We alays pack a box or two of protien bars in our suitcases. Not only are they sealed and so no banned in most areas - for the teens it is always good to know we have something with us when sight-seeing that they will eat. We went on a ruins trip in Mexico once with my then 9 year old neice and the lunch stop was wonderful, full of tasty local favorites my niece wouldn't touch. She ate two granola bars and called it a day!

Archived