Stock Market Crash and AAA Credit Rating Downgrade

Rick-cruiser

Yes I think I should pull all my money out of the market. I'm better off spending it on cruises than letting my broker loose it for me and have it just disappear into thin air.

Maybe I'll get another chance to buy RCL stock at $7/share again soon!

This is getting very serious.. Will the Stock Market crash, the U.S. AAA Credit Rating downgrade, and now the very possible double-dip recession affect your current cruise reservations and/or your future cruise plans?

Hi Rick:), I am cruising to Bermuda in 4 weeks:D that is my immediate future;)

I have an Alaskan Cruise booked for May 2012 and no plans to cancel

that one. And I am looking for a Caribbean cruise after the new year

so nothing has changed for me. (thankfully).

Standard & Poors, just like Moody's, is an independent provider of credit ratings. Even though the US Government tried to dissuade them from downgrading the country, S&P did what they had to do.

As for the recent correction in the market, I view it as a buying opportunity that will lead to future cruises.

This is getting very serious.. Will the Stock Market crash, the U.S. AAA Credit Rating downgrade, and now the very possible double-dip recession affect your current cruise reservations and/or your future cruise plans?

Still retiring 12/11, cruising with Celebrity 1/12, Princess 2/12 and Carnival 12/12. Did, however, fire off an E-mail to my two senators telling them exactly what I think about the lack of financial responsibility in Congress and the White House! :)

We are retired and have some money in guaranteed funds. We will cruise Silhouette in November. Sure, run-away inflation could kill us, but we can't worry about everything that might happen! In the meantime, we are gonna spend what we have until it is all gone.

Our shares of RCL don't owe us a penny because we have gotten lots of on-board credit. Like a previous poster, we are hoping RCL drops again, we'll buy more!

Future cruises after Silhouette depend more on cruises we can drive to. I won't fly any more. But cruising is still the best vacation value out there, so count us in!

Not at present, but I sure wish they'd get rid of those ratings agency companies and replace them with an independent body. We might get more accurate and thoughtful marketplace information and less panic.

Phil

Phil:

S&P is an independent agency. No connection with the US government whatsoever. I've aways found panic an excellent time to put ones toes into the market and have been rewarded. There is a tendency for people to over react on the down side as well as the up side. My guess is that much of the recent sharp drop was due to heavy volumn program trading. At some point investors will begin to look at actual performance rather than simply following the herd. I am not a professional trader, so I would caution all not to take my comments as gospel.

Folks,

This is a site for cruising and related subjects. If you wish to discuss the political characteristics of this topic, please do so on one of the several political forums on the web, not here.

Posts that are political in nature have been/will be removed.

As a constant worrier, I had the good fortune of selling almost all my stock holdings a week ago. My only mistake was holding onto RCL which I kept for an OBC on an upcoming cruise. At this time Canadians are blessed with a very strong banking system and our strong dollar makes cruising more reasonable than ever.

I do not believe in a double dip recession because most of the world is still in the last one.

As a constant worrier, I had the good fortune of selling almost all my stock holdings a week ago. My only mistake was holding onto RCL which I kept for an OBC on an upcoming cruise. At this time Canadians are blessed with a very strong banking system and our strong dollar makes cruising more reasonable than ever.

I do not believe in a double dip recession because most of the world is still in the last one.

Hmmm...We have accounts in both Canada and the US...thanks for the heads up...I might use my CA funds for the next cruise booking.

For DH and me, the stock market movements and our travel budget are two different things. We don't spend lavishly when the market is up and we don't pull back when the value of our holdings decreases. I just set savings targets every year, we meet them, and the rest is for spending and giving away. So, no, our upcoming cruise will not be affected by whatever's happened to the investments. (I haven't looked yet. I'm afraid to.)

In fact, if there's one thing I learned from the last crash it's that you feel slightly better if you enjoyed some of the money along the way instead of stashing it all away for retirement. As the Spanish proveb says, "Nadie te quita lo que bailado"- nobody can take away from you what you've danced.

No it will not.

The economy certainly is unstable, but nothing that we shouldn't have seen coming.

Just on Friday we actually purchased stocks as the prices of many have come down. Some investments we previously converted to cash.

For the last 10 years, my husband and I have mainly purchased gold & silver, so we're far from panic mode.

Our future vacation plans have not changed, and since we just purchased RCL stock, we are thinking of booking a cruise with them. The new Celebrity Silhouette will home port in NJ and it would be nice to sail on a brand new ship.

Archived