Any must-try MDR foods or ones to avoid?

The cold soups, the escargot, key lime pie and of course the lobster on lobster night. I'm originally from Maine and have eaten Maine lobster all my life and the lobster served on the ship is just a slight bit less tasty and tender than a Maine lobster.

Any time I can sit down eat, drink and have a pleasant conversation without having to do any of the work is like being in heaven. So I would probably like anything that you put in front of me.

Sharon I

I'm not a typically a dessert person (I'd much prefer something savory), however, I absolutely LOVED the strawberry pavlova. If I eat dessert, I usually pick somethingy fruity. The meringue on the pavlova is light and crispy and delish!

For main courses, I usually try and eat something I can't find or make at home. It is easy to go for the old standby meat-and-potato entrees (prime rib, filet of beef) but I've been really surprised and delighted by some of the things I've tried. I opted for the duck one night (crispy with a rich glaze) and loved the pickled cabbage that the duck was on too. Escargot is also a must-have (at least two orders)! Maybe on my next sailing I will branch out and try some of the Indian dishes.

I also enjoy the cold soups (these are generally available in the windjammer too, nice when you want to pig out on your own at the self-serve soup tureen).

I loved the shrimp cocktail and scallop risotto apps. The truffle mushroom alfredo, shrimp ravioli and tiger shrimp were awesommmeee. Tiger shrimp being the best. My boyfriend really liked the duck, I'm not to fond of it anywhere, so I'm not the person to ask about it on the ship. I obviously like seafood :)

I loved the shrimp cocktail and scallop risotto apps. The truffle mushroom alfredo, shrimp ravioli and tiger shrimp were awesommmeee. Tiger shrimp being the best. My boyfriend really liked the duck, I'm not to fond of it anywhere, so I'm not the person to ask about it on the ship. I obviously like seafood :)

I found that any appetizer or entree with mushrooms was very good.

Agree completely. It is terrible how RCL takes a great soup like lobster bisque and makes it so very bad.

Both times for me on the Splendour of the Seas the lobster bisque was bad. But it was good on the Rhapsody and Voyager of the Seas. So, I say to try it and don't eat it if it is bad.

My favorite is prime rib.

Both times for me on the Splendour of the Seas the lobster bisque was bad. But it was good on the Rhapsody and Voyager of the Seas. So, I say to try it and don't eat it if it is bad.

My favorite is prime rib.

Wish I was brave enough to try it again but history is my favorite teacher:)

Are there any menus available so I can advance drool? I take it you can order as many dishes as you want? Problem with me is that I dont like a lot of food at once, and I am not used to large size portions. Would it confuse the heck out of them if I ordered an entree for an entree, then an entree for a main meal? When I see a lot of food at once, I usually lose my appetite. Weird hey?:o

My last cruise was in 1982. I hated it. And I can still remember the soups as being the most disgusting thing.

Do a search on here and you should find some menus.

I think where you wrote entree you meant appetizer? If so - people do that all the time. More than once I've considered ordering all starters, what they call appetizers. The good news if you do decide to order and entree- the portions are not huge - usually with a starter and a desert -just the right amount.

Do they still have the small hard rolls? I can remember liking them on my last RC cruise several years ago.

Yes they still have the Savory Bites - I am normally not a big bread eater but I have on of these each night.

We order the Indian Entree as a "side" and share it.

Try all of the cold soups - most are like a dessert. Don't be afraid to try new things - if you don't like it - don't eat it. Order two things and try a little of both. One of the great things about a cruise - you don't have to pay extra to try new things and feel guilty if you don't like it and don't eat it.

ThTs funny about the fruit gespacho (cold soups). My "tradition" is to have one every night. I almost have them memorized what flavor they serve each night. Day 1 is watermelon, lol. I love having the different ones every night. I also love the pumpkin soup. For desert, one of my all-time favorites happens to be a sugar-free selection, but don't let that fool you. You must try the sugar- free coconut vanilla layer cake. So good.

Love the garlic butter the escargots come in, but with all due respect to the snail eaters out there, I would choke if I tried eating one!

I order it, but dip my savory bites in the garlic butter and leave the chewy snails behind :p:p

I know it sounds strange but try the Oxtail Broth Soup....its Amazing...The great thing about cruising is that you can try foods you wouldn't normally try and this is how I discovered this soup...I look forward to it every cruise :)

I think where you wrote entree you meant appetizer? If so - people do that all the time. More than once I've considered ordering all starters, what they call appetizers. The good news if you do decide to order and entree- the portions are not huge - usually with a starter and a desert -just the right amount.

Thankyou, that is really helpful. Appetiser = Australian entree, kind of!:) Basically the small meal at the start of the meal.

I found the menu too, and it sounds lovely.

We are on MTD so i expect the confusion will be less.

In a lot of places outside the US the entree is the starter or appetizer...as in entry to

the meal. I would guess Pushka may be thinking that way.

My DW loved the escargot so much she got one every night.

I like Caesar salads so I had one each night.

We like the cold soups so we'd try one any night they were offered.

Avoid the Ranch steak (or whatever they are calling it these days) :rolleyes: - very tough.

Don't be afraid to try anything, and yes one night if you want to skip the main course and just order 3 or 4 appetizers, that can be accommodated.

Archived