Tips : Yes, but Gifts...?

PCM

Hello,

Thinking out loud...

Yes, I agree that many work really hard,and tips are well deserved.

I recall our waiters saying, 'thank you for your blessing'. ( $ )

They were family men of faith,and clearly appreciated, and probably needed, the cash.

But... does anyone take a small nominal gift of any description, in the event that they wish to say an extra thank you, should they feel so moved?

PCM

Please give more cash if you are ultra satisfied and give them cudos on the comment cards. Those comment cards, good or bad, are read by dept heads and go into their files. These employees are much less fortunate than us. They really could use the money.

They do not have the room for any gifts. Give money AND name them on your comment card. When this is done thery are recognized by their boss at their meetings and goes into their file. This helps with promotions too.

You've had three replies, all saying no.

Now you've got four ;)

Cash, and more cash, in any mainstream currency - or even left-over local currency if the ship is returning to the same ports.

Gifts are a nice thought, but not practical. Even a token gift - though it'll be warmly received, the steward will almost certainly be thinking "shame I wasn't given its value in cash".

JB :)

They do not have the room for any gifts. Give money AND name them on your comment card. When this is done thery are recognized by their boss at their meetings and goes into their file. This helps with promotions too.

I would most certainly agree. On our first cruise we had a cabin on the lowest deck possible. We went through a wrong door coming back from the lifeboat drill and went through a corridor of crew's quarters. They were living in quads (4 to a cabin). I can not immagine living for months at a time in such cramped conditions. Money talks and comment cards could very well lead to promotions (i.e. more money).

We give tips, extra tips, fill out comment cards and give small gifts as well.

We have found the MDR staff love ties and chocolate. They also enjoy sharing in some "treats" we have purchased in port and bring back to the ship. We often buy some fancy pastry in port and take it to the diningroom because we are not real fans of the pastries on most ships.

We have found the staff loves what we bring back - so after we have had some dessert from what we have brought back to the ship, we leave the rest for the staff. We often share with cabin stewards. They get tired of the same food on the ship too. That is one of the reason chocolates are so popular.

We typically travel with small gifts for hotel and airline staff as well. Lipsticks, again chocolates, ties. It is surprising how welcome such small gifts are to folks.

We may be in the minority on this issue but the reception we receive having acknowledged folks with small gifts tells us a different story.

Of course they will never do anything but smile and say thank you. Most of these hard workers are from cultures where doing anything less is considered very, very rude.

Gifts are difficult for many reasons. First, as far as clothing items are concerned, they work long hours and when they're off, they sleep. Plus, I don't think I'd like clothing or cosmetics that someone else picks out for me. No one knows their preferences or color choices. Guess I'm weird that way. Plus, they live in such confined quarters, and it's so expensive to ship things home at the end of their contracts, that gifts just get tossed. Think of it this way. You clean on average, 14 cabins. If even three passengers from those cabins give gifts, over a 6 month contract, can you imagine how much stuff they can accumulate? It would be overwhelming.

As for food, you never know who has allergies or religious restrictions on what they can eat. Many crew are halal in their food, so eating anything outside of that is not done.

These wonderful crew work long hours and send money home to their families. The best, and most useful, way to say thank you is cash, and a note to their boss that could result in a promotion. I remember one cruise we had a fantastic butler. We wrote a letter to the cruise director about this fantastic man, and on our next cruise, we had this same butler, and he was thrilled because he said our letter got him promoted to head butler. He's been out butler on 4 other cruises and he always thanks us profusely for that letter.

Pris993; your heart is definately in the right place. Realistically, the cruise staff would not express anything other than thanks for your gifts. They certainly would not express that they preferred cash instead. Unless, that is, you ask them.

Nope....they work for MONEY...just like I do! I once worked at a place where they would give you a turkey for Christmas....I would MUCH rather have had cash!

If someone goes above and beyond for you, they are good at their JOB! Give them money.

Gifts of "things" should be reserved for friends and family....these folks are neither...and while they may be GREAT at their job, and take an interest in you...it's their JOB to do that! And they work for money!

I too used to work for a place that gave every employee food (a turkey at Thanksgiving and a box of snack foods at Christmas). Everyone would have much rather had money and thought the company was being cheap by giving food instead. Of course we smiled, acted happy and said thanks when given the food though and made the company's owners believe we enjoyed the "treats" they gave us.

I agree with those who say give the crew money instead of food or other gifts.

I too used to work for a place that gave every employee food (a turkey at Thanksgiving and a box of snack foods at Christmas). Everyone would have much rather had money and thought the company was being cheap by giving food instead. Of course we smiled, acted happy and said thanks when given the food though and made the company's owners believe we enjoyed the "treats" they gave us.

You think they were cheap? No one at my husband's company, except perhaps management, has had a raise in like 4 years. At the holidays, everyone used to get a $20 Target gift card (at least it was a spendable commodity) ... now, it's a Christmas tree ornament with the company logo on it. Guess management doesn't recognize that not everyone celebrates Christmas. With only a handful of years til retirement, he's happy to have a job, particularly in this economy ... but a cheap-crap ornament?:eek:

There was a thread that was started the other day on the princess area and moved here so you may want to check it out as there are several reasons listed why cash and also filling out a made a difference type of card (I imagine Princess isn't the only line that has these available at the front desk) that will be placed in their personnel file (may get them a raise or promotion) are the preferred methods of rewarding helpful crew members.

You don't know if a crew member is allergic to the food offering or has room in his cabin for these gifts. Someone also mentioned that he was told by an officer that there are often random searches of crew quarters on one line and if there are items that look like the worker wouldn't normally have them, he'll have to explain the gift to the satisfaction of management.

I agree with the 99% who stated that cash, cash, and recognition on comment cards are the way to thank the staff for taking care of you. Instead of giving them a gift as an extra thank you that they probably do not need, and maybe do not even want, use that money towards an extra tip as that will be wanted 100% of the time.

There is another thread currently ruining on this topic....we have done the phone card and small gift thing....but these people are working for money and really prefer good old cash. They arrive for up to 10 months with one suitcase and leave the ship with exactly the same suitcase, they really don't have room for trinkets. A personal note of thanks, a completed comment card and some extra cash is always appreciated. The only other thing that I can think of is a gift card from something like WalMart or perhaps a Visa or MC cash card.

For anyone who STILL insists that the crew appreciates and is sooooo thankful for whatever extra someone thinks they need or want is going to act any differently? Of course they're going to seem appreciative as it would be rude not to. They're probably wondering why the extra money spent on the candy, ties, shirts, etc. wasn't just added as cash. As others have mentioned, the comment cards are worth far more than these unnecessary extras.

We give tips, extra tips, fill out comment cards and give small gifts as well.

We have found the MDR staff love ties and chocolate. They also enjoy sharing in some "treats" we have purchased in port and bring back to the ship. We often buy some fancy pastry in port and take it to the diningroom because we are not real fans of the pastries on most ships.

We have found the staff loves what we bring back - so after we have had some dessert from what we have brought back to the ship, we leave the rest for the staff. We often share with cabin stewards. They get tired of the same food on the ship too. That is one of the reason chocolates are so popular.

We typically travel with small gifts for hotel and airline staff as well. Lipsticks, again chocolates, ties. It is surprising how welcome such small gifts are to folks.

We may be in the minority on this issue but the reception we receive having acknowledged folks with small gifts tells us a different story.

What do you think that the "lucky" recipients of the junk that you give them do with the stuff - they toss it into the trash bin because and wonder why you are giving them something they do not want, do not need and have no room for.

Of course they pretend that your stuff is the greatest item they have ever received because they know that if they told you what they actually thought of it and of you for giving it to them, you might reduce their tip.

Sorry to be cynical but money talks and ties, chocolates, and lipsticks do not.

Do you actually also give that stuff to airline staff also? Hard to believe.

DON

I think we are from a culture where we have been brought up to think that cash is impersonal, tacky and doesn't show much thought given. This is NOT TRUE on a cruise. Cash is KING. These people are trained and culturally brought up to show appreciation. The cash and the comments on the cards and any additional effort to send comments to the cruise line truly make a difference. I got back from a cruise on Freedom of the Seas in July. I spent time completing the comment section and in fact, added a sheet to be able to expand on the many things I appreciated on the cruise from our waiters and cabin steward, noting the table, date of cruise, names of the waiter and assistant waiter and cabin steward. I received a call the following week regarding the comments. These comments are how the crew and staff get promotions, prized time off, etc. The cruise line pays close attention to this. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone, but the feel good YOU get from spending time and money picking out something personal could better be spent giving a few extra in cash and filling out the comment cards praising your wonderful waiter, assistant waiter and cabin steward. GIVE $$$$.

I too always give extra cash if they have gone out of there way to be nice or do something special. I don't really bring them candy, but I do brings lots of sweets for me on the ship and then when the cruise is over, I leave it for them to have. They can eat it or throw it away. :) I do fill out comment cards as well.

Pris993; your heart is definately in the right place. Realistically, the cruise staff would not express anything other than thanks for your gifts. They certainly would not express that they preferred cash instead. Unless, that is, you ask them.

You would have to see the reactions we get from those we gifted and others who work with them. Everyone wants gifts. So much so, that we have actually gone out and bought more to give to others who expressed a desire for the same thing. :) Several times we found out selves shopping for more chocolate in particular - so now we bring extra.

Our experience has been just the opposite of what has been expressed here. Our most recent experience was on the OV, on the TA last Spring. We gave some chocolates to staff in the MDR, other staff let it be known that they liked chocolates too. So we got some more and everyone was happy. Similar thing happened with folks at the Customer Service Desk.

We sometimes buy the cooks and entertainment staff drinks. Of course, they pick what they would like to drink.

People enjoy a little surprise now and then.

It is easy to give cash for sure. Which we do.

We have found the staff loves what we bring back - so after we have had some dessert from what we have brought back to the ship, we leave the rest for the staff. We often share with cabin stewards..

So...let me understand. You bring yourself desserts, etc. from port....then leave the leftovers for the staff as a thank you? An an "extra tip"? Seriously? Would YOU eat some stranger's left-overs? I wouldn't! You know who I bring my left-overs to every day? My dog! These people aren't starving, stray dogs!

Let me just add - I was employed by the same company for over 14 years. I went through LOTS of annual reviews (14 I guess!). I was always told what a great job I was doing; that I always went above and beyond, etc. The end result was always a raise (MONEY). If my boss had EVER chosen to reward me with a t-shirt, or a key chain, or a chocolate bar, or (God forbid) his left over dessert, well....I think I would have said "thank you" on my way out the door! Treat people with the dignity they deserve - they aren't working for trinkets and chocolates ties!

Archived