What's the first thing you do when you board?

Mar y Sol

I MUST wipe down the phone/remote control/door handles/drawers/table tops and shelves with Clorox Wipes. I can't begin to tell you what the wipes have looked like at some "wipe-downs", it's pretty pitiful!

Some might consider this excessive but it gives me peace of mind and makes my room "belong to me!"

I unload my Passport/money and jewelry into the safe.

I look for my Steward to request a top sheet and two extra pillows.

Since I do travel with a Service Dog, I go to check on the potty box........Once all of the above is done, I head to the Horizon Court for a leisurely lunch.

If I've not been on the ship before I will take a tour.....if it's a familiar ship than I will go back to the lounge where we have Muster and relax with my first of many foo-foo drinks.

If my shore excursion tickets are there, I check them against my list to make sure they're all there.
Also important to check excursion tickets to make sure tickets for excursions you may have cancelled online are not there. I noticed there were two envelopes - one for me and one for my wife. I had inadvertently booked an excursion in her name, cancelled, and re-booked in my name to consolidate. For some reason the cancellation didn't go through.

I'm among the folks that wipe down the cabin with clorex wipes (can never be too careful there). Unpack carryon and head to the Laundry since we are usually traveling a few days prior to boarding the Ship.Laundries are usually empty so it a great time to do a load. (less stuff to pack)

While waiting for the wash to finish we grab a bite to eat and explore the Ship.

I'm among the folks that wipe down the cabin with clorox wipes (can never be too careful there). Unpack carryon and head to the Laundry since we are usually traveling a few days prior to boarding the Ship.Laundries are usually empty so it a great time to do a load. (less stuff to pack)

While waiting for the wash to finish we grab a bite to eat and explore the Ship.

I go to my cabin, read the Patter and any other notices, invites, etc. If my shore excursion tickets are there, I check them against my list to make sure they're all there. I unpack my carry-on and head to lunch. I used to stop first at the library but now with my Kindle, I don't. After lunch, I go back to my cabin, relax on my balcony, read and check for my luggage every now and then. I pack almost everything in cubes so when my luggage comes, I just take out the cubes and put them on the shelves. Anything that needs hanging is hung up. It takes me maybe 15 minutes to complete the unpacking. Then, I'm really ready for my cruise. :)

I hate to sound stupid...but what do you mean by packing in "cubes"?

Sorry if this upsets some pepes, but since I lost my beloved DH in Jan this year, next time I cruise (and I WILL), I will thank whatever/whoever for being there at all!!!! It will be a huge difference but I WILL do it soon,

and I will remember the middle aged couple who really did look like they belonged in the brochure, tall and extremely good looking used to be us!!!

Sorry if this upsets some pepes, but since I lost my beloved DH in Jan this year, next time I cruise (and I WILL), I will thank whatever/whoever for being there at all!!!! It will be a huge difference but I WILL do it soon,

and I will remember the middle aged couple who really did look like they belonged in the brochure, tall and extremely good looking used to be us!!!

Awwwwww! You won't be alone. There are a lot of people who cruise by themselves. And, it's not long before they realize there are lots of other folks just like them, who may enjoy the company of other's and can get out and enjoy life.

I wish you many wonderful cruises in your future! I can't think of a better and more safe way for a woman, alone, to enjoy a fabulous vacation!

I MUST wipe down the phone/remote control/door handles/drawers/table tops and shelves with Clorox Wipes. I can't begin to tell you what the wipes have looked like at some "wipe-downs", it's pretty pitiful!

Some might consider this excessive but it gives me peace of mind and makes my room "belong to me!"

I unload my Passport/money and jewelry into the safe.

I look for my Steward to request a top sheet and two extra pillows.

Since I do travel with a Service Dog, I go to check on the potty box........Once all of the above is done, I head to the Horizon Court for a leisurely lunch.

If I've not been on the ship before I will take a tour.....if it's a familiar ship than I will go back to the lounge where we have Muster and relax with my first of many foo-foo drinks.

I've noticed a few people mention a top sheet...what do you use it for? So the bed doesn't get dirty when you sit on it during the day?

Princess makes up the beds European style with a comforter covered with a duvet and no top sheet. Without the top sheet it can get awfully warm since your choice is use the comforter or nothing. As soon as I meet our cabin attendant I ask to have the bed made with a top sheet.

Princess makes up the beds European style with a comforter covered with a duvet and no top sheet. Without the top sheet it can get awfully warm since your choice is use the comforter or nothing. As soon as I meet our cabin attendant I ask to have the bed made with a top sheet.

Have to agree, we too request a top sheet. Sometimes the duvet is just too much.

Good to know, I will ask for one too...I am at that age where I tend to overheat a little too easily....;)

I hate to sound stupid...but what do you mean by packing in "cubes"?

Answering for Pam here: I suspect she means packing cubes, such as those made by Eagle Creek. I love them too, and have about 10 in different sizes and shapes. The zipper ones are particularly helpful for holding several smaller items. Some of them just Velcro and are intended for clothes only.

DH poo-poos my Eagle creek cubes. He swears by 2.5 gallon ziploc bags, one for each drawer or shelf.

Answering for Pam here: I suspect she means packing cubes, such as those made by Eagle Creek. I love them too, and have about 10 in different sizes and shapes. The zipper ones are particularly helpful for holding several smaller items. Some of them just Velcro and are intended for clothes only.

DH poo-poos my Eagle creek cubes. He swears by 2.5 gallon ziploc bags, one for each drawer or shelf.

hanks for your reply..never thought of the big zip locks.seems like an inexpensive alternative.

Once I step off the gang plank and onto the ship I say to my DW...WE'RE ON VACATION. We go to the room, drop off the carry-on, put our wallets in the safe since we now only need the S&S card, turn the cell phone OFF (don't bother me, I'M ON VACATION) then grab lunch and explore the ship.

I like the fact that we can first go to our cabins and drop off our carry-ons. In the past we usually go to the buffet for lunch, but like the idea of the dining room instead. Do we just ask which dr is open for lunch?

After lunch we explore the ship a bit, maybe take a bit of a nap in the cabin while waiting for our bags. We like to unpack as soon as possible. I also love to just watch the activity in the port from our balcony. :)

I have to agree with post the about watching the port activity. I always hope that the ship is docked with our side to the port. I love to see all the provisions going on as well as the luggage. One time I even saw my own luggage (very unique color) along with my sister's being loaded on.

First, find the cabin steward, introduce ourselves and ask for a top sheet. Also DH has him remove the extra pop & replace with diet Coke. Then find someone to punch a hole in the S&S card. Grab a bite to eat. Walk around & scope out a place to stand during sailaway. (43 days & counting!!!)

So many things to do... and so little time.

We have our first cruise comming in January and all these little hints and stuff really help.

I had no idea they didn't have sheets on the beds. Wierd :rolleyes:

The wipes sound like an awesome idea too... I usually carry a small bottle of hand santizer and put it out where-ever I go.

I specifically asked for a balcony room at the back of the boat that way you don't miss something if your room is on the wrong side of the boat.:o

once I get on the ship I'm going to chuck my luggage on the bed, open my balcony doors and take in all the smells and sounds of the ocean. Gotta enjoy all the sun and sea air while I can!

Once I've taken in all I can smell.:p We will probably go reserve some tables at the fancy restaraunts. Book a little somethin-somethin at the lotus-spa. Then grab a quick bite and parooze the ship until the sun sets.

DH told me I'm not allowed to go bed early (like I normally would in the winter) and we aren't relaxing (much).

We are more do-ers.

YAY... so excited!

So many things to do... and so little time.

We have our first cruise comming in January and all these little hints and stuff really help.

I had no idea they didn't have sheets on the beds. Wierd :rolleyes:

The wipes sound like an awesome idea too... I usually carry a small bottle of hand santizer and put it out where-ever I go.

I specifically asked for a balcony room at the back of the boat that way you don't miss something if your room is on the wrong side of the boat.:o

once I get on the ship I'm going to chuck my luggage on the bed, open my balcony doors and take in all the smells and sounds of the ocean. Gotta enjoy all the sun and sea air while I can!

Once I've taken in all I can smell.:p We will probably go reserve some tables at the fancy restaraunts. Book a little somethin-somethin at the lotus-spa. Then grab a quick bite and parooze the ship until the sun sets.

DH told me I'm not allowed to go bed early (like I normally would in the winter) and we aren't relaxing (much).

We are more do-ers.

YAY... so excited!

Welcome to cruising....once you've done it, you won't want to stop.

The only cure for the "blues" that you will surely have once the cruise is over is to have another one booked. You can book your next cruise, while you're onboard this one. And, you'll get FCC's [future cruise credits] and you can pick your favorite cabin and you won't get the "blues!"

Remember your sailing on a Cruise "ship" not a "boat!" A "boat" might describe a dingy or a sail boat but never a cruise ship.

Have a wonderful time!

Archived