Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

CruiseAdict218

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Love those drink prices!  When I began cruising, a glass of draft Heineken was 10 cents.  

On my last Norwegian cruise, I was allowed to have a bar menu as a souvenir, that was in 2017 and these are how some of the prices compare to those 1984 prices on HAL's Veendam.

Mai Tai (HAL 1984) - 2.50

Mai Tai (NCL 2017) - 8.95 (add $6 for souvenir tiki cup)

Beefeater Gin (HAL 1984) - 1.50

Beefeater Gin (NCL 2017) - 8.50 / Bottle $99

Rum Bacardi Gold (HAL 1984) - 1.50

Rum Bacardi Gold (NCL 2017) - 9.50 / $109 Bottle

Johnny Walker Black Label (HAL 1984) - 1.80

Johnny Walker Black Label (NCL 2017) - 9.50 / Bottle $109

Jameson (HAL 1984) - 1.50

Soft Drinks (HAL 1984) - 0.50

Soft Drinks (NCL 2017) - 2.95

Jameson Caskmates (NCL 2017) - 16.95 / Bottle $139

Remy Martin (HAL 1984) - 2.40

Remy Martin  VSOP (NCL 2017) - 16.95 / Bottle $139

Budweiser (HAL 1984) - 0.80

Budweiser (NCL 2017) - 6.95

Heineken (HAL 1984) - 1.00

Heineken (NCL 2017) - 6.50

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

On my last Norwegian cruise, I was allowed to have a bar menu as a souvenir, that was in 2017 and these are how some of the prices compare to those 1984 prices on HAL's Veendam.

Can one say "inflation"?  😆  And, we pay those prices without any hesitation to do so. 

I compare what I paid for my 2020 Buick in comparison to my first new car, a 1965 Corvair Monza; it's almost unbelievable.  

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a couple of drinking cups, one is plastic, the other one is a hurricane glass, both are for the defunct Discovery Cruises. Both ships on the glass are gone, one caught fire and the other was scrapped.

Discovery 1: 1986 - 1996 *destroyed by fire*

Discovery Sun; 1994 - 2011 *scrapped 2012*

Discovery 1 Cup.jpg

Discovery Cruises Hurricane Glass.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:29 PM, rkacruiser said:

No.  Never have seen these before.  The portrayal of the Normandie is inaccurate.  Funnel colors are wrong; the bow was pointed toward the land not away from it.  

Got a really nice 1954 Topps if you remember me showing the various liner disaster ones I have? I just got a nice one in the mail, it's for the SS United States breaking the speed record. 

1954 Topps SS United States Card.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I just got a nice one in the mail, it's for the SS United States breaking the speed record. 

Like it!  Are you buying these?  Or, is someone simply sending you this material?  On second thought, having just typed this, this is really not any of my business.  Perfectly OK to ignore my questions.  

Edited by rkacruiser

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Like it!  Are you buying these?  Or, is someone simply sending you this material?  On second thought, having just typed this, this is really not any of my business.  Perfectly OK to ignore my questions.  

Bought them, didn't pay a lot for them, only the graded ones go for big bucks.

• Like 1

Bought them, didn't pay a lot for them, only the graded ones go for big bucks.

Yesterday, I placed an order for a set of 10 First Class menus from a trans-Atlantic crossing on the S. S. America in August, 1954.  Two Gala Dinner menus, 4 Luncheon Menus, and 4 Breakfast Menus; price asked was reasonable.  The date of this crossing coincides with a Gala Dinner menu from the ship's previous crossing that was given to me by a distant relative who happened to find it in a thrift shop.  

• Like 1

Yesterday, I placed an order for a set of 10 First Class menus from a trans-Atlantic crossing on the S. S. America in August, 1954.  Two Gala Dinner menus, 4 Luncheon Menus, and 4 Breakfast Menus; price asked was reasonable.  The date of this crossing coincides with a Gala Dinner menu from the ship's previous crossing that was given to me by a distant relative who happened to find it in a thrift shop.  

Nice, the biggest purchase I ever made was for my giant menu collection. There was a total of over 120 menus, I think maybe between 120 - 130 ranging from the 1950's to the 1970's

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

I do have one really nice dinner plate for a cruise ship that really didn't end up successful. The dining room dinner plate is for the 1960's Nuclear ship NS Savannah. It's all white with the name of the ship and the logo that was on the side of the hull, the nuclear pattern. If she had been a success, I wonder how long she could have lasted as a cruise ship that ran on a nuclear reactor?

dczrxjw-14f65bba-e2e7-4657-bb3d-9072cedefb60.jpg

• Like 1

What a nifty dinner plate!  You certainly are good at finding nice things.

May I make a correction?  NS Savannah was the first nuclear-powered merchant ship, not a cruise ship.  She is currently moored in the Chesapeake.  We make it a point to look for her every time we sail out of Baltimore.

My Dad got me started on this recently.  He's collecting items from inaugural sailings of ships we've been on.  So far he has a statue from Grandeur and the Millennium.  This weekend, he surprised me with a welcome package from the Voyager inaugural sailing, which includes the activities schedule, postcards, deck plans, brochures, and even the menu from the dining room.  It has tickets to the naming ceremony as well.

I also have a postcard from a ship that has Princess Diana as it's godmother and a Royal Caribbean stuffed bear from about 15 years ago who will hit the High Seas again as my stowaway in February 2022!

I also got him more inaugural sailing memorabilia for his birthday next month!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

What a nifty dinner plate!  You certainly are good at finding nice things.

May I make a correction?  NS Savannah was the first nuclear-powered merchant ship, not a cruise ship.  She is currently moored in the Chesapeake.  We make it a point to look for her every time we sail out of Baltimore.

oh sorry, thank you for fixing that up, I wasn't sure cause of her carrying passengers. Is she still a museum you can tour, or can't tour her anymore?  I also have a really nice souvenir plate for HAL and every ship on this plate is gone, either sold of scrapped. This is the fleet on this nice plate:

MS Rotterdam: 1997 - sold in 2020

MS Veendam: 1995 - sold in 2020

MS Ryndam: 1994 - sold in 2015

MS Maasdam: 1993 - sold in 2020

MS Statendam: 1992 - sold in 2015

MS Westerdam: 1989 - sold in 2002 *Laid up, expected to be scrapped

MS Noordam: 1984 - sold in 2004 *Sold for scrap 2020

MS Nieuw Amsterdam: 1983 - sold in 2000 *Scrapped in 2018

dd5zerz-597e5877-af47-47c5-9d3e-d208d49ad88f.jpg

Edited by norboy76
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

I thought might get a kick out of this massive SS United States lot I got my hands on. There is over 156 items from the ship. The items are from an estate sale from a former doctor from the SS United States, so this lot contains both passenger and crew items. I wrote a list of the items I will be receiving and took a photo, but I will also write down some of the unique items.

Items From SS United States: (just some of the items, see total items in photo)

Chief Engineer Repair Form Pad (unsure how many unused repair sheets are on this pad)

Director J. Seaver Jones Cards (I believe these are greeting to passenger cards)

Paper sign for the Luggage Room

On Board Travel Office Paper Sign

Paper Meals Hours Sign

Empty Motion Sickness Packets from the medical bay

Unused Stateroom, Cabin and Tourist Luggage Tags (or stickers)

Repair Paint And Locksmith form tablet (from repair and engineering)

D.M. McCallum Compliments Cards (unsure who D.M. McCallum is)

*I Hope Can Read List In Photo

SS United States Lot.jpg

• Like 2

The items are from an estate sale from a former doctor from the SS United States, so this lot contains both passenger and crew items. 

The doctor must have been a "pack rat".  Why would he take/save such items?  That's quite a haul you have acquired!  

13 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Norboy, That should provide many hours of interesting browsing time!

I'm in the midst of getting binders and sleeves for this collection. Once it arrives, I will happily be taking photos of the items for everyone to enjoy.

The doctor must have been a "pack rat".  Why would he take/save such items?  That's quite a haul you have acquired!  

I'm not sure, especially why a doctor would have items from repair and engineering, which is a little puzzling to me, but I'm happy to get these items. There are some items not listed as I don't know yet what they are as they were not listed, just listed as extra odds and ends, so should be interesting to see what they are.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, especially why a doctor would have items from repair and engineering, which is a little puzzling to me, but I'm happy to get these items. There are some items not listed as I don't know yet what they are as they were not listed, just listed as extra odds and ends, so should be interesting to see what they are.

I didn't realize you were still exploring what you received.  I have been given a few items in the past that I wouldn't have known what they were or their significance if the person who gave them to me explained what they were.  (And, how he acquired them.)  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, rkacruiser said:

I didn't realize you were still exploring what you received.  I have been given a few items in the past that I wouldn't have known what they were or their significance if the person who gave them to me explained what they were.  (And, how he acquired them.)  

You'll be happy to know my items have arrived in the mail and I have taken photos of some of the unique items. I have photos of repair pads from the SS United State's Chief Engineer, Board Signs for some of the areas of the ship such as for the dining rooms, linen, baggage, Disembarkation cards, ect. I hope will enjoy these photos of crew items probably we wouldn't normally see. I have more items but haven't taken photos of them yet.

Chief Purser Letter About Hotels.jpg

SS United States Baggage Room Sign.jpg

SS United States Clean Linen Sign.jpg

SS United States Debarkation Card.jpg

SS United States Meal Hours Sign.jpg

SS United States Pink Repair Pad.jpg

SS United States Repair Pad.jpg

United States Lines Deposit Envelope.jpg

United States Lines Tourist Class Tag.jpg

United States Lines Cabin Tag.jpg

• Like 1

I hope will enjoy these photos of crew items probably we wouldn't normally see. 

The letter from the Chief Purser concerning the hotels that some passengers are going to makes me wonder as to why such a list would be needed.  I would assume that the hotels listed would be expecting guests from the ship.  There's probably some detail which I am not considering.  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The letter from the Chief Purser concerning the hotels that some passengers are going to makes me wonder as to why such a list would be needed.  I would assume that the hotels listed would be expecting guests from the ship.  There's probably some detail which I am not considering.  

If noticed, I also had a couple of signs from the dining rooms and such too? As for the Chief Purser letters, it has to do with the fact that a purser from each class has to check destination of each landing passenger going to one of the hotels listed on the front page of the letter seen in the one photo, which would be marked with a check on a list and the list turned over to a Mr. Gray upon docking. There is a second Chief Purser letter which I haven't taken a photo of yet and it's in regard to passengers that transfer to a higher class during the voyage and the collection of the difference of the fare will be 50% per diem. Once I take more photos, I will post them.

15 hours ago, norboy76 said:

If noticed, I also had a couple of signs from the dining rooms and such too?

Yes, I did.  Interesting.

15 hours ago, norboy76 said:

As for the Chief Purser letters, it has to do with the fact that a purser from each class has to check destination of each landing passenger going to one of the hotels listed on the front page of the letter seen in the one photo, which would be marked with a check on a list and the list turned over to a Mr. Gray upon docking

But, why was this necessary for the Pursers to do?  

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, I did.  Interesting.

But, why was this necessary for the Pursers to do?  

I'm not sure, the letter doesn't say, but maybe to keep track of passengers so they didn't lose any? Not sure, sadly no way to find out.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I'm not sure, the letter doesn't say, but maybe to keep track of passengers so they didn't lose any? Not sure, sadly no way to find out.

Your guess is as good as any.  Sometimes, the more one learns, the more questions one has.  

Your guess is as good as any.  Sometimes, the more one learns, the more questions one has.  

Once they arrive, I'll take photos of the other items including 2 First class sticker tags, a sign saying *Dining Room Closed*, A 1954 Sailing Schedule, Staff Daily Overtime Report Sheets to keep track of crew hours, and a cleaning sheet listing all the cabin numbers showing all the rooms that need vacuuming and shampooing and a cabin class landing card, a menu and a card from engineering to department heads to close somethings called Ports And Deadlights On The Decks which had to be signed by the Officer of the water, the engineering department and steward department.

• Like 1