How Strict is RCI out of Galveston these days?

I want to bring on a 12 pack of DP and maybe a 12 pack of cold ones on as well. On past cruises going out of Galveston we have not had a problem.

Last December, out of Ft. Lauderdale we sailed Carnival and we got a naughty note as well as our 12 pack taken away. (We did get it back the last day though).

I'm really wondering if they still let you carry soda on? Last time in Galveston people were bring on coolers! I will not go that far...just a 12 pack for DH and I to have with our breakfast as we are not coffee drinkers.

Is it still 2 bottles of wine per person or is it 1 per person?

If we do try to bring cold ones on, should we try to disguise it? Does the box trick really work?

We will have a big aft balcony and want to spend some time on it. Just don't want to run to and from the pool deck each time we want a cold one.

Please do not flame me. I know this has been asked before and I did do a search before I posted. The results were old so I wanted to get an updated response.

Thanks in Advance,

Rhonda, RCI does not permit any alcohol of any kind to be brought onboard. IF you decide to smuggle you take the chance of being caught and having it confiscated. Beside which, putting beer in your luggage runs the risk of breakage and leakage. Have you seen the way porters throw the bags around?

There are literally hundreds of recent threads about this; I'm sorry you didn't find one that addressed your concerns because this is discussed on a daily basis.

Have fun on your cruise. :)

They were very strict last February out of Galveston. They were confiscating all liquids. Water, soda, beer, liquor, etc. If they found it they took it. They had one of those luggage carts placed beside the security scanner and it was full of soda, water, beer, etc. They even made my wife dispose of the one liter bottle of water that she was drinking out of while we were waiting to go through the security line.

Okay....let me rephrase/clarify.

I know you are not supposed to bring Booze on, but If I did decide to what are my chances of getting it on these days?

This questions is for all the other Naughty people who have done it recently. Not for those who are too good to ever take a chance and do it.

FTLOG......I just wanted to ask a question. I'm not asking for the morality police to beat me down.

BTW while I'm on a roll, what kinds of beer does RCI serve on board? Do they serve cans, Plastic bottles? (Miller light 16 oz plastic bottles)?

They were very strict last February out of Galveston. They were confiscating all liquids. Water, soda, beer, liquor, etc. If they found it they took it. They had one of those luggage carts placed beside the security scanner and it was full of soda, water, beer, etc. They even made my wife dispose of the one liter bottle of water that she was drinking out of while we were waiting to go through the security line.

Thank you!

That is exactly what I needed to hear. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I needed. At a minimum we normally bring a 6 pack of water and 12 of soda on board. Doesn't look like we will be able to do it.:(

Anyone else been out of Galveston lately?

I'm curious. Besides loss of the item(s) in question, is there any penalty if one is caught attempting to smuggle alcohol onto the ship?

No one has received a severe penalty, yet.

Their Guest Conduct Code and Contract states that if you are smuggling booze, it will be confiscated. Disciplinary actions up to denial of boarding are an option that they may use.

Thank you!

That is exactly what I needed to hear. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I needed. At a minimum we normally bring a 6 pack of water and 12 of soda on board. Doesn't look like we will be able to do it.:(

Anyone else been out of Galveston lately?

As someone already said, there is no RCL ship sailing from Galveston right now so the answers you are getting are as "lately" as it gets. Ask again when the Mariner gets there in November.

Same for my March 27, 2011, cruise -- all liquid beverages including water were being confiscated. But not on my Dec. 5, 2010, cruise -- I took a gallon of water on the ship then. I don't know what changed. Maybe enforcement was stepped up for 2011.

Same for my March 27, 2011, cruise -- all liquid beverages including water were being confiscated. But not on my Dec. 5, 2010, cruise -- I took a gallon of water on the ship then. I don't know what changed. Maybe enforcement was stepped up for 2011.

Or maybe profits were down. ;)

I cannot speak of alcohol because I've never tried to smuggle alcohol on board. There is plenty of alcohol to purchase on the ship.

BUT...I'm an avid Diet Dr. Pepper drinker. I have to have a DDP for my morning wake-up. I do not try and smuggle. I simply bring it in a sack from the grocery store and put it through the scanner. I've never been denied my 12 pack of DDP.

cre8tive1- if you choose not to attempt to smuggle your beer on- you can get a "bucket" (or lately they have soft coolers) with 6 or 8 beers in it. You can bring that back to your cabin and won't have to run back and forth to get "cold ones". If you don't finish them all that day- your cabin steward will replenish the ice daily. And I believe you get 1 free each time you refill. Enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...
I'm curious. Besides loss of the item(s) in question, is there any penalty if one is caught attempting to smuggle alcohol onto the ship?

From RCI FAQ - Food and Beverage:

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids

On past cruises, I've used Rum Runners and they work really well. But these guys seem a bit more uptight about this sort of thing. If I couldn't afford to drink on the cruise, I wouldn't take it.

I cannot speak of alcohol because I've never tried to smuggle alcohol on board. There is plenty of alcohol to purchase on the ship.

BUT...I'm an avid Diet Dr. Pepper drinker. I have to have a DDP for my morning wake-up. I do not try and smuggle. I simply bring it in a sack from the grocery store and put it through the scanner. I've never been denied my 12 pack of DDP.

Well said Linda! Same here. Ya gotta know how to do it. And yes, there are a lot of police on these boards. Sour grapes. I usually take my soda in an HEB bag,never a problem in 8 cruises out of Galveston. Even Carnival did not confiscate my soda in August.

Archived