My impression

paulista1950

Well, this is the Holland Amercia board, most people here ARE prejudiced for HAL, but not necessarily against other lines. As far as Cunard goes, it is part of the conglomerate that includes HAL so I think most here don't think too negatively of Cunard.

Maybe I've missed it but I'm not aware of a lot of discussion in the Holland America portion of Cruise Critic about Cunard. For the most part this is the pro Holland America section so it's not unexpected that there might be negative comments about other lines but I can't say one line or another gets more mention than another. In fact, I'd venture to say that Cunard, as a significantly smaller line with fewer ships, gets a lot less mention than say Celebrity.

Maybe I've missed it but I'm not aware of a lot of discussion in the Holland America portion of Cruise Critic about Cunard. For the most part this is the pro Holland America section so it's not unexpected that there might be negative comments about other lines but I can't say one line or another gets more mention than another. In fact, I'd venture to say that Cunard, as a significantly smaller line with fewer ships, gets a lot less mention than say Celebrity.

Randyk47, the comments are just a few, but all of them about cunarders being snobs. There was one where the poster said he (or she? I don't remember) would NEVER cruise with Cunard because of the class system.

Randyk47, the comments are just a few, but all of them about cunarders being snobs. There was one where the poster said he (or she? I don't remember) would NEVER cruise with Cunard because of the class system.

Everyone has perceptions. Sometimes that's all they are - perceptions. Generalization is never a good thing ( ie. all HAL passengers have one foot in the grave and the ship is dead by 9 pm) Some people still do it though. Don't let a few posts put you off. I know people who prefer Cunard to HAL. Each to their own.

Well, I take such comments with a grain of salt personally. Certainly Cunard has a different system on its ships and maybe it does approach or seem like a class system but one might say the same about the mini-class system on HAL with the perks offered a Deluxe Suite passenger versus other passengers.

" Don't let a few posts put you off"

It won't kazu, absolutely not! It's like you said, each to their own.

As for me, I enjoyed every line I cruised, and I'm almost sure it'll the same with HAL :D

Well, I take such comments with a grain of salt personally. Certainly Cunard has a different system on its ships and maybe it does approach or seem like a class system but one might say the same about the mini-class system on HAL with the perks offered a Deluxe Suite passenger versus other passengers.

Exactly! Every line has a sort of class system. I wonder how those people classify the Neptune Lounge.

Have you read the Cunard boards? A lot of them sound very snobbish! LOL

I've seen that, too, although not particularly here on the HAL board. Look at my screen name and my signature. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big fan of Cunard. But nobody on the HAL board has called me a Cunard snob. (and I even post in favor of formal nights :eek: )

More often, I've seen posters go to the Cunard board to blast the alleged "class system." I've been on loads of Cunard cruises, and people do not ask "Where is your cabin?" to make sure they're associating with "the right people." Yes, there are separate dining rooms for some cabin levsls. But everyone mingles in the public rooms. Conversations usually start with questions like: Are you enjoying your cruise? Is this your first time on this ship? Where else have you cruised? People don't ask: Where is your cabin? How much did you pay? How many thousands of dollars worth of jewelry did you bring with you?

The funny thing is that while people from one-class lines have flamed Cunard fans for being elitist class-conscious snobs, those same one-class lines are adding more and more super-suite levels with their own sundeck areas, special dining areas. (NCL suites come to mind) Pay more, get more. All the lines are doing it these days, but somehow it's a sin on Cunard. Go figure.

So don't be afraid of the HAL board!

Having alternated regularly between HAL & Cunard (4 HAL & 2 Cunard sailings since 2007), I would feel safe in saying that with the exception

of Cunard's formal dress, there are far, far more similarities than differences between the two lines.

If you enjoy or feel comfortable with one, I doubt you should have a problem with the other. Not sure what is the cause of the alleged "bashing". Perhaps it may have to do with the perception of value.

Most lines including these have made cutbacks, on HAL these may be

a bit easier to live with because of their price point. Cunard delivers

a fine product but at a much higher fare. The fact that much of it is

not that much "better" than HAL may cause some unfavorable comparisons IMO.:confused:

I've talked with people on cruises who make negative comments about Cunard's class system. However, when I ask about their Cunard cruise, turns out they haven't been on that cruise line. When I ask those who have actually cruised on Cunard about the class system they ask what I am talking about. :)

I've talked with people on cruises who make negative comments about Cunard's class system. However, when I ask about their Cunard cruise, turns out they haven't been on that cruise line. When I ask those who have actually cruised on Cunard about the class system they ask what I am talking about. :)

I know what you mean! I've seen people swear they would never sail on Cunard because of the class system.

So, each line has its "image," HAL pax are old, Cunard pax are snobs...

K

A couple of posters do it on purpose to live up to the reputation. :D

Noblesse Oblige, 3rdGenCunarder;)

"But everyone mingles in the public rooms. Conversations usually start with questions like: Are you enjoying your cruise? Is this your first time on this ship? Where else have you cruised?"

Yes, that's my experience too, and also where are you from.

" People don't ask: Where is your cabin? How much did you pay? How many thousands of dollars worth of jewelry did you bring with you?"

Never

"So don't be afraid of the HAL board!"

Not even a little bit? :p

The funny thing is that while people from one-class lines have flamed Cunard fans for being elitist class-conscious snobs, those same one-class lines are adding more and more super-suite levels with their own sundeck areas, special dining areas. (NCL suites come to mind) Pay more, get more. All the lines are doing it these days, but somehow it's a sin on Cunard. Go figure.

!

Perhaps because some believe that Cunard is a symbol of the old class system on oceanliners...When I stated cruising many years ago the attraction of cruising was the one class system...If all the lines are gradually copying Cunard in my opinion it's a step backwards.

Perhaps because some believe that Cunard is a symbol of the old class system on oceanliners...When I stated cruising many years ago the attraction of cruising was the one class system...If all the lines are gradually copying Cunard in my opinion it's a step backwards.

There are many reasons why the old class system is gone forever.

Nowadays cruise lines reserve very small lounges for some passengers and that is it.

Even this doesn't make any sense in my opinion, it's just silly

I wouldn't necessarily call it a prejudice but rather a misunderstanding in some cases. Its been my collective experience that when I travel and tell people I sailed on Cunard, the number one question becomes "They have a class system don't they?". So then I find myself explaining how the ships work - the pairing of a category of cabins with a restaurant but everything else is open to everyone on all the Cunard ships!

I found myself educating others but in the end I find there is likely more similarities between HAL and Cunard than one might want to admit. Both have a history of European origins but Cunard sticks more to the playbill than HAL. Cunard throws its history at you. Both tend to shy away from the mass-market party atmosphere associated with some lines but Cunard is more formal more of the time. Still many like the formal nights on the HAL ships and no one is suggesting totally removing them.

There will always be those who might consider that Cunard is too formal for them and that's fine. We have different lines for different folks. I find when I explain how Cunard's system works though most people then understand.

David

Conversations usually start with questions like: Are you enjoying your cruise? Is this your first time on this ship? Where else have you cruised? People don't ask: Where is your cabin? How much did you pay? How many thousands of dollars worth of jewelry did you bring with you?

So don't be afraid of the HAL board!

Remember the QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 those original First Class suites down on One Deck with the large oval porthole? Beautiful accommodations... not to be missed and all 'original'. The suites that were added on the top decks in the early 70's are the type than can be found on any cruise ship.

Several years ago I was sailing in QE2 in one of the original midships on One Deck. While enjoying drinks in Queen's Grill loung a passenger (from one of the signaal deck suites asked me what cabin I was in. When I told her she turned to her husband and in a shocked voice said, "Daring do you know that there are people on One Deck eating in Queen's Grill!":eek:

It did happen once in a while, but who cares.

Stephen

Is there an anti-HAL bias on the Cunard forum?

Never noticed it all that much, if any. They just happen to love Cunard in the same way the HAL cheerleaders hang on to HAL here. However, no one is putting down HAL as a lower quality line over on the Cunard forum.

Maybe some people have seen the movie Titanic too much and think of the class system the way it was on that ship back in the early 20th century. Heck my grandparents come over in the hold and I always think I need a balcony!!:)

Never noticed it all that much, if any. They just happen to love Cunard in the same way the HAL cheerleaders hang on to HAL here. However, no one is putting down HAL as a lower quality line over on the Cunard forum.

I was being a bit facetious but in my time here haven't noticed a widespread anti-Cunard bias so maybe as is the case on the Cunard forum it's not an anti anything bias as much as a pro-HAL or pro-Cunard bias.

Archived