Excursions

WestCoastCruiser123

What do you do for excursions? Do you feel that you have to book through the cruise line as a solo (mainly for safety and not missing the boat alone)? There are a few independent tour operators I see that consistently get positive feedback on CC but I do not feel that adventurous on my first solo.

I've cruised twice before but this is my first solo cruise. With four port days I want to get out there and see things but also not feel intimidated by venturing off by myself.

What do you do for excursions? Do you feel that you have to book through the cruise line as a solo (mainly for safety and not missing the boat alone)? There are a few independent tour operators I see that consistently get positive feedback on CC but I do not feel that adventurous on my first solo.

I've cruised twice before but this is my first solo cruise. With four port days I want to get out there and see things but also not feel intimidated by venturing off by myself.

Have been on 3 solo cruises before. If I am not familiar with the port, then I will book an excursion thru the ship for safety reasons. I usually have no issues meeting other fellow cruisers who might want to share the taxi cost to some obscure beach. You might want to join the roll call for your cruise, this is a great people to share excursions with. When it comes to safety, I will go with what my gut is telling me.

Do you feel that you have to book through the cruise line as a solo (mainly for safety and not missing the boat alone)?

If I've never been to the port before, I'll usually book something through the cruise line (for convenience and not missing the boat). But if I'm familiar with the port, I'll just head out on my own. I don't see how being solo impacts this decision, as I would likely do exactly the same if traveling with a companion.

I'm joining people on my roll call for one excursion. Not sure what I will do for the other ports. May play it by ear and wait till I've had a look at the itineraries once I've boarded and settled in. We have 2 sea days to start so that'll give me time to work out what I want to do. If I get bored in the meantime I may look at the ports of call board and see what they suggest there.

Hi, after 30+cruises, I have done ship excursions, independent ones

and gone out on my own. It depends on the itinerary and what I feel

comfortable doing. Yes, the ship's tours might be more $ but there

are times when the roll call is not very busy and other folks are not

sharing. If there is a specific tour I really want to do? Then I book it.

If there is a beach I want to go to and nobody else is interested?

I go on my own.

It all depends where I am going and what looks good to me...if it is

the first time to a certain place? I always look at ship's tours and the

other reasons? If I am on my own its a good way to meet others and

of course, if the tour is running late? The ship will wait (if ship sponsored).

Hi WestCoastCruiser123

I'm just like Lois regarding my tours.

I will stated that 99% are with local vendors suggested by sites like this or friends. With the exception of two vendors out of 11 cruises (I guess about 40 to 50 tours) all of my tours were outstanding.

For example, I just got off the Dream this morning. For all four ports, I went with local vendors. On the first one I was the only solo person,but by the third stop, I had plenty of new friends.

The next tour was one I did alone. This was the best one. I enjoy having a driver to myself and doing and going where I wanted to. This stop was my shopping stop and not having to rush or wait on others was worth it.

My next one was ok. This was a vendor not preparing correctly and while the guides were outstanding, the company left a bad taste with me.

The last tour was also an outstanding one and I felt like a VIP. I chatted with others on the beach break with me,but also enjoyed my alone time.

I would suggest (with the exception of about two ports) to join your roll call for the sailing. Often others are going to do the same tour. Do a tour alone with a private driver. I've done this on several islands (St. Martin, St. Kitts, Anguilla, Nevis, Roatan) and these were some of the best. Alot of times the pricing is good.

On a port like Caymans, this is one where if you want to do the stingrays or visit Heil. I would wait until getting on shore. They are cheaper and fill up.

Also check with your tablemates. There are times when other solo cruisers are thinking about the same tour.

But it all comes down to how you feel about doing a tour with a local vendor. If all you are going to do during the tour is worry if it will get back on time and not enjoy it,then it's a waste of money.

Now the ship tours can be good also. One of my tablemates came back raving how great the ship tour was and how everyone click so well on the tour.

Where are you heading to?

WCC: Let us know what the ports are on your cruise. Maybe we can offer some more insightful tips for you.

Me: I like to go out alone. After traveling solo for business, I'm very comfortable striking out on my own. On the whole, I'm not a "joiner" or a "sheeple", moving with a large herd. For places in Europe, I can either take a train/taxi to where I want, hang out, then return. On the West Coast trips, it's just walking off the ship and heading into town. If there happens to be some place that I absolutely want to go, I might opt for a group. Like my Egypt/Jordan trip and my African safari (even then, they were small groups, under 15 people). But, for cruises, I prefer solo. If I happen to meet some nice people onboard and we voice going to the same spot, maybe I'd join in. But, that hasn't happened yet.

Do tons of research on what is around/in each port. Don't rely on the cruiseline info - search the Internet, look at the port's own websites. See if anything piques your interest as a "must do". THEN, you can look at the options for what you want.

As many have said, it really depends on what port it is.

On my first solo cruise, I was desperate to see Atlantis, so I joined the cruise tour and was glad I did. I never felt like I was by myself, as many people offered to take pictures for me, and the tour guide saw I was a solo traveler, so she kept an extra lookout for me, which was appreciated. Even when the tour was over and we went off on our own, I felt comfortable enough around the area to walk around the grounds for an hour before heading back to the ship.

Now, my next solo tour stops in Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Labadee. Labadee is a beach day for me, but I may want to do the zip line. If I decide to do excursions for the other 2 ports, I will not be venturing off alone. I'll join a group tour and enjoy myself.

But, most importantly, as someone mentioned, go with your gut. If you don't feel comfortable in a particular city going off by yourself, then don't.

Thanks for the responses. Besides Belize, I think that I am going to wing it a bit based on your suggestions. I don't want to have tours booked at all four ports that will not allow me to be spontaneous. On my first cruise, we met some people at breakfast that were heading out that day in Mazatlan with a private tour and they invited us along. We didn't accept at that point, but we saw them waiting for their guide when we headed off the ship. We decided to join them and had a nice day driving around town. My ports are Belize, GC, Coz, and Roatan. I am interested in snorkeling but also want to see some of the cities I will be visiting. Belize I will probably do one of the three Carnival snorkel excusions that pick you up at the ship.

I am more inclined to go with the ship since I think it is safer.

I am going to do 2 excursions on the Epic for around $50-$60 each.

Plus I found it a good way to meet people.

For me the extra money is worth the piece of mind since I am generally not familiar with the islands.

Archived