Nervous about Carnival

jhondy

I'm looking into taking a cruise in either early Jan. or during my spring break (I'm a law student). I've been on RCL many times and I've been on Disney cruises before. The most important part of the cruise to me is the ship itself. I could really not care less about the ports. So I've started doing my price comparisons for cruises. I'd like to do a 5-7day cruise. Carnival is a lot cheaper then RCL. I'm willing to try it but my problem is my bf will be cruising with me and he's never been on a cruise before. So that begins my nervousness.

Like I said, I've never been on Carnival and have only heard stories. I've heard the ships look "cheap" and that the crowd tends to be a yonger drunker crowd. Although I am young, I don't care to be around a bunch of 20 somethings who are obnoxiously drunk. I hear lots of bad stories about Carnival but I know a lot of you on here go back time and time again so I feel it can't be as bad as people I know say.

So what I'm wondering is if someone could just help me out with what I should know about carnival. Is there a few ships that are better then the rest or some that I should stay away from? How are the shows and the nightlife? How is the food in the dining areas and is the dress more casual?

Don't believe everything you hear. A lot of people saying those things have never been on a Carnival cruise.

Carnival does have a lot of neon than RCCL, but it is more of a fun atmosphere that gaudy, imho. Both lines are more alike than not alike as well, with some of the same lido deck stuff and deck party's going on.

Cruising durning Spring Break will probably get you more of a party hearty group than cruising in January. My wife works with a young girl that prefers the partying on RCCL to Carnival during Spring Break, but, you will get a lot of partying on either line during Spring Break. You will get less on the longer cruises than the shorter cruise as well.

The shows we have seen have been pretty good, although, the Dream and the Glory have a dedicated Comedy Club and we went to it each night rather than the shows.

The night life on Carnival depends on the make up of the passengers onboard. The older the crowd the less fun in the disco. Jan might be a little slow, but not necessarily. When we were on the Miracle in Jan 10, we were with a lively bunch and the disco was great every night.

I am 42 year old professional with a M.B.A (not that it matters but to prove a point about stereotyping this brand of ship). Carnival has all types of people on the ship. Jan 9, 2011, I took my first cruise on the valor. It was for 7 days, did I have fun? Yes, in fact I cried coming off the ship and have had withdrawals ever since. So I am going on the Fantasy on November 12.

I miss the ice cream machines, my wonderful steward and my waiter. I was sick one night and my waiter was like a father. He brought me crackers and soup without me asking. The next night I was feeling better and he cooked me a steak since the 1st one was not to his satisfactions (I was shocked but he took charge and made sure we were full). He knew the way to us Southerners was good food. So I am going on the Fantasy on November 12. I am curious about this ship because it is based in the South.

I found that you will see the same people that have the same likes as you on the boat. If you like to party and let loose, most likely you will be in the same venue as these people. I ran into a few happy drunks but you are there to have fun and just laugh it off. I never saw any rude outlandish drunks anywhere on the boat. There is nothing too be nervous about when sailing on the Carnival except getting back on the boat in time from port. That was the only thing I was nervous about.

Happy cruising!

Ps: Why did I pick Carnival? I was in the AAA office and an agent was trying to talk me into going on another cuise line. A lady interupted our converstation and stated that she had the money to travel on other lines and she refuse to go on anything but the carnival. She stated that she tried other lines and the people on the boat made her sick. They did not like to dance or mingle with new people.....this lady was 75! How cool was that!

My 2 cents.

I've sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Personally I prefer Carnival by a hair.

I've seen decor on Carnival ships described as Las Vegas "glitz", an accurate description in my opinion. Royal Caribbean ships are aesthetically more sedate.

Carnival nightlife tends to be more active than on most Royal Caribbean ships. The exceptions are the mega ships Oasis and Allure. They can not be matched by any other ships for variety and level of participation.

I've found dining room food more varied and interesting on Carnival. Buffet wise they pretty much come out even.

Cabins are a virtual tie.

My advice is to find cruises that most suit your dates and which offer the most interesting ports. You really do have to look at particular itineraries to compare pricing although Royal Caribbean does appear to typically charge more.

One thing to keep in mind with Carnival is that one can often cruise in a better cabin category for the same money as an identical Royal Caribbean itinerary.

Let's face it folks, CCL decor is tacky, it's meant to be that way, it's Farcus induced. What else can you say about Joe's plastic palm trees on the Holiday or Fascination and the over the top embellishment of the Valor? Now before you bash me, I've cruised the Valor 5x, more than any other ship. It doesn't ruin the cruise for me, I just try to ignore it as best I can. RCL decor is more toned down, and Disney's Dream is exquisite, however, pricing comes into play. Disney gave me all I could eat baby lamb chops and Alaskan King Crab legs as appetizers on the sailaway lunch, CCL offers fried chicken and meatloaf as their new "cuisine" additions. In each case, I got what I paid for. The area where CCL excels over RCL IMO, is cabin size, while Disney, with it's split bathrooms and interior drapery to divide its rooms, beats them both. I think CCl's worse characterstic is its CD's, they are loud, obnoxious, misleading, untruthful and oh so very repetitive after one's first three cruises telling the same boring jokes over and over again. The ideal CCL CD for me would be one with Laryngitis.

I get what I pay for, I'm a happy platinum CCLer.

We've cruised both lines. Absolutely love the Spirit class ships. Carnival gets the edge on food quality. RCL gets the edge on activities. Balconies on the Freedom/Oasis class ships are going to be a bit more spacious then what Carnival ships offer. A cruise is what you make it. Pick a 7 day cruise with a few ports and a couple sea days and you're not likely to be disappointed. Get a balcony if you can, it really does make a difference. If you choose Carnival Dream a cove balcony is awesome and generally a lower price (comparable to an ocean view perhaps).

Book a "date night" at the on-board steakhouse one evening, the steaks on Carnival are top-notch in the specialty restaurant and it's a 2 hour dining experience that rivals any experience you'll have on land for hundreds of dollars more. We've also found that the live music on Carnival is consistently great. The Spirit class ships have a lounge where the ships band plays nightly. They are 4-5 piece group that plays anything and everything and will have you guys up dancing and singing along nightly.

Since you're going during spring break the strategy would be to simply avoid where the "crazies" may be. During the day the main pool area will tend to be quite active but with 3 pools on the Spirit class ships it's not hard to find a calmer spot. During the evening the nightclub will naturally attract the younger crowd so the lounge is a better choice. Depending on the pianist, the piano bars can also be fun but again, it depends heavily on the pianist. If he/she sucks the first night then there's probably not much hope but if they are good then there's another option. Carnival also offers some pretty funny comedians and the adult shows can be pretty offensive and hilarious.

Have fun!

Your fears are well founded. I have cruised 27 times. 16 on RCCL and 11 on CCL. I find CCL attracts a lower class of customer, probably due to price. However if you cruise when the kids are in school (like January) you will have less problems. If you can afford it, RCCL is the way to go. The ships of RCCL are much nice than CCL, especially the Voyager class. I find CCL to be like Vegas and RCCL to be like a country club. Just my opinion.

This poster gave his/her opinion. I would disagree and point out that the cruiser who posted this response is platinum in the slums of the cruise industry. Can't be that bad if Carnival was good enough for eleven cruises. Carnival has an incredible following, but low prices wouldn't be enough to inspire so many repeat cruisers. Go on the cruise and I believe you'll soon book another with Carnival.

Your fears are well founded. I have cruised 27 times. 16 on RCCL and 11 on CCL. I find CCL attracts a lower class of customer, probably due to price. However if you cruise when the kids are in school (like January) you will have less problems. If you can afford it, RCCL is the way to go. The ships of RCCL are much nice than CCL, especially the Voyager class. I find CCL to be like Vegas and RCCL to be like a country club. Just my opinion.

I have sailed both- (voyager class on RCL) and every class of Carnival.

to be fair- I have never sailed a 3-4 or 5 day sailing

I found them to be about the same in terms of food/service.

to the OP- I think a fit for you would be a Spirit class ship.

A balcony-7258

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0188.JPG

I find CCL attracts a lower class of customer, probably due to price.

It's a fact that Carnival targets a "budget minded" clientele, but if there's one thing that i've learned is that this doesn't necessarily translate into a "lower class" clientele. Some of the best behaved, classiest, and well mannered passengers I've ever met have been on cheapie, short cruises.

Now don't go thinking that every single fellow passenger will be a "pleasure to cruise with" and well behaved. You will find a little bit of everything...

I'm looking into taking a cruise in either early Jan. or during my spring break (I'm a law student). I've been on RCL many times and I've been on Disney cruises before. The most important part of the cruise to me is the ship itself. I could really not care less about the ports. So I've started doing my price comparisons for cruises. I'd like to do a 5-7day cruise. Carnival is a lot cheaper then RCL. I'm willing to try it but my problem is my bf will be cruising with me and he's never been on a cruise before. So that begins my nervousness.

Like I said, I've never been on Carnival and have only heard stories. I've heard the ships look "cheap" and that the crowd tends to be a yonger drunker crowd. Although I am young, I don't care to be around a bunch of 20 somethings who are obnoxiously drunk. I hear lots of bad stories about Carnival but I know a lot of you on here go back time and time again so I feel it can't be as bad as people I know say.

So what I'm wondering is if someone could just help me out with what I should know about carnival. Is there a few ships that are better then the rest or some that I should stay away from? How are the shows and the nightlife? How is the food in the dining areas and is the dress more casual?

Usually those that are saying the ship is full of drunk people have never cruised on Carnival. Carnival and Royal are very similar in the people that board their ships. If you liked Royal, you'll be fine with Carnival. Food is better on Carnival too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you can see I've cruised on Carnival 16 times with 17 and 18 booked. We cruised Holland America one time and while it was nice the whole time I was missing the Fun Ship. We are a group in our 50's and love Carnival. IMO they are not a lower class of people. I thought Holland America was too snobbish for me. Everyone has different opinions. I agree that the 3-4 day cruises on all lines draws more partiers.

IMO you can't go wrong with the Fun Ship!

Only been on two cruises, both Carnival and both the Fantasy class. First cruise was in Aug of 08 on the Fantasy and second was this past June on the Fascination. Never encountered any problems with bad behavior of drunkeness or kids out of control. Also, first cruise was 5 day and 2nd was 4 day. I like 5 day better, 4 days is just too short.

I love both ships but prefered Fascination. We had relatives with us on Fascination who were 1st time cruisers and they really like the size and layout of the ship. We all had inside cabins and although my sil had commented before the cruise she probably would've prefered an OV once on the ship she said she liked the cabin and location (U78) and didn't miss the window.

Which ports would be best for you to travel out of? I would look at some of the reviews of those ships for month(s) you are possibly going and then decide. You will see both good and bad reviews of the same ship but if I see one ship has more bad than good reviews I would probably pick another.

My other question is the balconies. On RCI and on Disney the balconies are completely open. It looks like on carnival the balconies are kind of enclosed and smaller. Does this make a big difference? I know we will be spending a lot of time hanging out on the balcony.

I don't know what you are looking at to say the balconies are "kind of enclosed and smaller" on CCL?? Just like RCI (with the exception of the cove balconies on the Dream Class ships), on all Conquest and Spirit class ships, the balconies only have a teak wood railing with glass below them and are fully open to the outside above that. What can be more "wide" open than this set up? We only book balconies and have loved them. If you want larger than a standard balcony, you can book an "extended" balcony as well, which gives you more balcony space. Likes and dislikes are personal opinion, and everyone has their own. Take one CCL cruise and make up your own mind instead of listening to rumors. I am certain you will enjoy it!!

Why does your bf make you nervous? Are you afraid he will get seasick?

He makes me nervous because it will be our first vacation together and his first cruise vacation. I've talked them up so much as "the greatest vacation ever". Now I'm afraid I can't deliver that. I know he wants a vacation where he can just rest so I think a cruise will be perfect for him. He loves when we go camping because we sit around a campfire and drink some beer and just rest. I think it can be the same thing just subsitute the campfire for the ocean and not having to cook for ourselves. I know he will want to see shows and drink some.

Also I am thankful for all the comments. I'm sorry if my first post came off as ignorant. At no point did I mean to offend anyone. I was just looking for some answers when it comes to Carnival.

I am actually starting to believe that Carnival may be the best ship for us. I know my bf is not going to want to dress up all the time to go to dinner. He likes to be comfortable. I feel this ship seems to have a more comfortable vibe. Also someone said they would compare the ship to vegas. My bf has been to vegas many times and has liked it so idk if the comparison was supposed to be a positive or not but it is for us.

I've also heard that carnival has what they call is 'comfort food' which I've come to understand is more normal food in the dining room. If this is true this is definitly a plus for me. All the cruises we've been on, I've not been a fan of the main dining room food (I'm a chicken fingers, mac and cheese, hot dog kind of person).

One of the cruises I'm looking at is the Carnival Destiny...the price is extremely good! Is this an older ship? Also what is the average number of passangers on a ship? My family went on the Oasis this last summer and I hated it. It was too crowded, we had a bad wait staff, and it seemed the crew didn't know how to handle the massive amount of people on the ship from a customer service point of view. That on top of many other things that happend, I now have a small credit if I decide to go on RCL again which is one reason I was thinking about them (I've had other good cruises with them)

When I book the cruise I will be going through a TA so I'm not to worried about figuring all the nuiances of the ship out but I'm hoping that I am making a good decision on this. Once we make a final decision I will be getting my bf's input so he can make some of the decisions too but I want to narrow it down for him to pick from as not to overwhelm him with the options.

I don't know what you are looking at to say the balconies are "kind of enclosed and smaller" on CCL?? Just like RCI (with the exception of the cove balconies on the Dream Class ships), on all Conquest and Spirit class ships, the balconies only have a teak wood railing with glass below them and are fully open to the outside above that. What can be more "wide" open than this set up? We only book balconies and have loved them. If you want larger than a standard balcony, you can book an "extended" balcony as well, which gives you more balcony space. Likes and dislikes are personal opinion, and everyone has their own. Take one CCL cruise and make up your own mind instead of listening to rumors. I am certain you will enjoy it!!

It was the cove balconies I was looking at. I didn't know if those were the way all the balconies were for carnival or not. Glad to know that they are not. I'm looking forward to do a lot more research and start making some actual decisions for us.

One of the cruises I'm looking at is the Carnival Destiny...the price is extremely good!

Where would you be cruising out of? We have been on the Destiny and while it was a very good cruise and the ship was fine, we have sailed on better. Our favorite is the Pride and then the Glory. Is there any Spirit Class ships sailing from where you are?

Hello joeyancho,

I take offense to your coment generalizing all

people who choose to cruise on Carnival low class.

That was not a very intelligent thing to say.

Because you may, or may not have met some

people on Carnival who you thought to have low class,

gives you no right to say everyone on Carnival is the same.

Or that Carnival attracts a lower class of people.

I am sure of the thousands who cruise with Carnival

are college educated, and thousands are not.. Education

has nothing to do with having class or not.

To make a blanket statement like you did really shows no class at all.

If the shoe fits!!!

However, having cruised several times on Carnival, & NCL.

I find 99% of all the cruisers I have met to be intelligent,

friendly, and outgoing. Will be taking my first RCI

cruise this December.

More people choose to cruise with Carnival because

they are intelligent, & savy cruise shoppers.

Where would you be cruising out of? We have been on the Destiny and while it was a very good cruise and the ship was fine, we have sailed on better. Our favorite is the Pride and then the Glory. Is there any Spirit Class ships sailing from where you are?

I'm actually open to sailing out of anywhere. I live in the midwest so there is no ocean near me :( I was thinking of cruising out of Charleston because I have family out there but that cruise is a bit pricey compared to some others.

I'm also looking at the Glory because someone on here said they had a dedicated comedy club that has different comedians every night. That is right up our ally for entertainment.

I'm actually open to sailing out of anywhere. I live in the midwest so there is no ocean near me :( I was thinking of cruising out of Charleston because I have family out there but that cruise is a bit pricey compared to some others.

I'm also looking at the Glory because someone on here said they had a dedicated comedy club that has different comedians every night. That is right up our ally for entertainment.

Cool. If you are flexible also check the Spirit Class ships like the Pride, Miracle, Legend, etc.

Most of the Carnival ships are using the aft lounge as a comedy club now. On our 7 day Dream cruise we had two sets of comedians that had performances two nights each.

And yet he continues to sail on Carnival and post here... My low class opinion of course..

So you are looking at prices, so are you also checking the terms. You may be comparing the Carnival Early Saver rate to other lines rates. Be sure to read the terms of Early Saver, you are risking more money if there is any chance you need to change or cancel the booking.

Also you might be sure to research here on CC the exact ships you are comparing both lines do vary in ship designs. The shorter cruises tend to have the older smaller, less up to date ships generally.

I hated the "shopping mall" feeling of RCCL-- except for the bars, it's hard to find a place to people watch, or a corner to read (the lounges were too dark), unless you go on the decks. There are so many more open areas on CCL, & the food & service are great!!

Archived