Veendam Boarding Sunday in NYC...... 9/11/11

sail7seas

We took the taxi from LaGuardia to the pier last summer and the fare was almost $50.00 partly because we had a foreign driver who had no idea where the pier was located.

However, I'd be surprised if you got out for $35.00.

IMO

I wish those passengers on the Veendam and any other cruise ship in New York Harbor the very best luck in getting there. On a selfish note, I am glad I am not in New York this weekend. Security sounds incredible as it sholdl be as well as a nightmare for those who need to go places.

Thanks! Do you know how the taxi rates in NYC charge? Is it still around $35 from LGA even if it takes much more time due to the traffic?

I've sat in a taxi watching the meter increase as we were stopped at a red light, so I would think traffic delays would increase the fare.

Thanks! Do you know how the taxi rates in NYC charge? Is it still around $35 from LGA even if it takes much more time due to the traffic?

The meter runs on a mix of time and distance:

Metered Rate of Fare

The meter is required to be engaged or "hired" when a taxicab is occupied by anyone in addition to the driver

Standard City Rate (Rate Code 1)

$2.50 upon entry

$0.40 for each additional unit

The unit fare is:

• one-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles an hour or more; or

• 60 seconds when not in motion or traveling at less than 12 miles per hour.

• The taximeter shall combine fractional measures of distance and time in accruing a unit of fare. Any combination of distance or time shall be computed by the taximeter in accordance with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Handbook 44.

• The fare shall include pre-assessment of the unit currently being accrued; the amount due may therefore include a full unit charge for a final, fractional unit.

• Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM

• Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM

• New York State Tax Surcharge of $.50 per ride.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a diner near the pier.

But there is the Landmark Tavern at 626 11th Avenue (on 46th Street) :)

There is also PD O'Hurleys at Pier 84 just south of the piers near the Interpid - it has outdoor seating.

But there is the Landmark Tavern at 626 11th Avenue (on 46th Street) :)

There is also PD O'Hurleys at Pier 84 just south of the piers near the Interpid - it has outdoor seating.

Close geographically, but getting to and from the pier is a nuisance. And with security being so strict this weekend, I wouldn't venture off the pier once I got there. Sit tight and wait for HAL to feed you.

Haven't cruised out of N.Y. - but on the West Coast

I've usually found that reserving Limo Transportation

really beats taxi service !

I usually call my hotel a few days prior to arrival

and ask what Limo Service they use/and/or recommend.

Then make my reservation. Sometimes their

charge is very close to approximate taxi - and certainly

much more comfortable and personal service.

And a FLAT RATE! So if I'm caught in traffic

a meter isn't running and adding to my fare!

This might be especially valuable on Sun., 9/11 !

Living in the Boston area and being ever mindful of the 9/11 tragedy...two planes from Logan plowing into the WTC...and many lives lost...people we knew...it still hurts. I NEVER would have booked a cruise...HAL or otherwise....to disembark or embark on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. :(

The piers are located on the West Side Highway and whatever the pier number, subtract 40. Pier 88 is 48th and West Side Highway. If I recall, traffic enters from 52 or 50th Street.

Yes, allow plenty of time on 9-11. The tunnels and bridges are slower than usual.

Never had a trunk sniffed by a dog. Then again, I use a limo.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
The piers are located on the West Side Highway and whatever the pier number, subtract 40. Pier 88 is 48th and West Side Highway. If I recall, traffic enters from 52 or 50th Street.

Yes, allow plenty of time on 9-11. The tunnels and bridges are slower than usual.

Never had a trunk sniffed by a dog. Then again, I use a limo.

They normally don't have the dogs sniff the cars for drop offs. However, down by Wall Stree, every single car is checked and sniffey, so this may happen for everyone today

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I see four ships docked at the pier this morning which means lots of traffic down their. I hope everyone leaves lots of time to get to the ships.

I stated this in a previous post yesterday as a warning. Ships in NYC today:

AIDAaura, Veendam,

Norwegian Gem, Miracle

The Summit is in Bayonne

nyharbor911.jpg.e25752c0a0f19048ee12cb06ba960740.jpg

I stated this in a previous post yesterday as a warning. Ships in NYC today:

AIDAaura, Veendam,

Norwegian Gem, Miracle

The Summit is in Bayonne

Yes you did, but I was only commenting that I could see them on the webcam.

It's a beautiful morning in NY, just like it was 10 years ago.

I don't know who has control of the camera, but whoever it is must be looking for someone in particular on the NCL Gem. The camera is in so close that you really can't see anything.

Guessing that the Veendam is still coming down?

I watched it. That really is a great webcam. And with the Veendam being last to leave, the camera was able to stay on her all the way to the end. It really was pretty to watch, and brought back memories of my sail-away last October.

I watched it. That really is a great webcam. And with the Veendam being last to leave, the camera was able to stay on her all the way to the end. It really was pretty to watch, and brought back memories of my sail-away last October.

Veendam is not the last to leave. Carnival Miracle is doing a late departure and AidaAura is also there.

Archived