Just off the Marina and Regatta - a comparison

Benita

Benita I know what you are talking about with the shower. I'm 6'2" and and slim and I hit my head on the rain shower unless I crouched a little. Then if I dropped the soap it must have been comical if anyone could have seen me contorting to pick up the soap. It nearly put my back out. The only way I could safely pick up a fallen soap was to turn the shower off, open the shower door, retrieve the soap and start the shower process all over again.

NOT a good design. I wonder if FDR tried the shower?

I actually posted, in the midweek comment card, that they should put a second soap dish in the shower on the Marina, as the one was too small for soap, shampoo, and conditioner and I received a phone call from the head of housekeeping during the cruise that he thought it was a good idea. I also posted my thoughts about having a movie in the theater - that one, they ignored.

It nearly put my back out. The only way I could safely pick up a fallen soap was to turn the shower off, open the shower door, retrieve the soap and start the shower process all over again.

NOT a good design. I wonder if FDR tried the shower?

FDR is well under 6'2" ....

Mura

Paul, how can you say the tub is useless? It makes a perfect planter.

Thanks for reminding me - we used ours to store the life jackets, thus freeing up much needed space on the shelves in the closet (much like Terrier1).

None of that is a problem in the PH, however.

Thanks for reminding me - we used ours to store the life jackets, thus freeing up much needed space on the shelves in the closet (much like Terrier1).

None of that is a problem in the PH, however.

Rather amazing that the closet and storage space in the non-suites are that poor on the Marina. Thirty years ago we went on a 14-day cruise on Sitmar's Fairwind which required black-tie multiple evenings: our cabin was only 135 square feet but had loads of closet and drawer space!

Rather amazing that the closet and storage space in the non-suites are that poor on the Marina. Thirty years ago we went on a 14-day cruise on Sitmar's Fairwind which required black-tie multiple evenings: our cabin was only 135 square feet but had loads of closet and drawer space!

The cabins and the bathrooms are beautiful without a doubt (dark wood paneling, marble/glass in the bathroom) just not as functional as you would expect from a new ship. Very true of the Marina in general - easy on the eye, harder on your body :) It's as if she was designed by interior decorators rather than ship designers.

shower has an actual door (no curtain to attack unsuspecting people) but I think the shower on the R-ships is a bit roomier even with the curtain

Lyn, the showers on Marina are actually smaller than on the R-ships? Or does it just feel smaller because of the hard glass door rather than the curtain?

Lyn, the showers on Marina are actually smaller than on the R-ships? Or does it just feel smaller because of the hard glass door rather than the curtain?

Randy

I think they are smaller ....sq footage wise in the regular cabins the PH cabin they looked a bit bigger

Darn I forgot to take my tape measure on the trip;)

Hope you had a great trip this summer

Lyn

On our first (of two) QE2 cruise we had an even smaller cabin -- 128sf. But it was amazingly well thought out as well. The beds were AWFUL, like sleeping on concrete. In fact, I think we were. But there was more storage space than we needed and the bathroom also was spacious. I don't recall specifically if it had a tub/shower or not but given the size of the cabin I assume it was just a shower. But it was roomier than the showers on the "R" ships in the non-suites.

Maybe back then they just designed their ships better.

Mura

Speaking of tenders!!!

I hate hate hate the ones on Marina, they are the most uncomfortable tenders I have been on

I will go down with the ship rather be stuck on one of those with 100 other people :eek:

That is a rather atypical comment, isn't it?

We were told by the cabin stewardess that quite a lot of the passengers were using the tub for storage of their luggage. True!

Excellent idea since our 2 pieces of luggage was a tight fit in the closet and would not fit under the bed. I would be concerned that the luggage would get damp from the steam from the shower. We threw the life vest in the tub and used the shelves for storage.

We haven't read such original ideas before, interesting!

Randy

I think they are smaller ....sq footage wise in the regular cabins the PH cabin they looked a bit bigger

Darn I forgot to take my tape measure on the trip;)

Hope you had a great trip this summer

Lyn

Time to get Meow on the job.

Benita, thanks for posting this useful and informative thread. As you may remember, we really liked our Marina Baltic cruise in June (I believe the one right before yours), but the cabin design for the regular cabins indeed is strange, and we had issues with the automatic light in the clothes closet, the placement of drawers and the safe being located far above eye level.

Due to itinerary preference, our next cruise is on Regatta next year, and although my husband is fine with either the larger or the "R" ships, I admit personally to wishing that some of the extra restaurant options and beautiful public venues were present on Regatta.

From some of the postings on this thread, I guess I should be glad that we missed our one tender port (Visby), so we did not experience the Marina tenders. That is because I am the person who likes to get on the tender right before it gets moving so I spend as little time as possible bobbing in the waters.:)

CintiPam - we were in Visby many years ago on the Renaissance RVII = one of the 114 passenger ships and the captain invited us up on deck as we approached Visby to impress us with his skills at parallel parking a cruise ship. It was worth going to Visby just to see that. I guess the larger ships have to tender, but Visby is so lovely, it was worth it.

We tendered a few times on the Marina - and I do not recall any problems or any more discomfort than on the tenders for the Regatta.

Sitmar!! Now that was a line. Better than most of what we get today. Starting sailing with the line in 1981 and continued until Princess absorbed her in 1988. Tried two more sailings on Princess and that was it. Bad news.

From what I can determine, Silversea is kind of a resurection of Sitmar. Italian officers with zero personality. Tried the Silver Shadow to Alaska in 2006. What a waste. Beautiful ship and that's it.

Sitmar!! Now that was a line. Better than most of what we get today. Starting sailing with the line in 1981 and continued until Princess absorbed her in 1988.

I agree. We started in 1984 with Sitmar's brand new ship, T.S.S. Fairsky, pictured below. Our first cruise was in a porthole stateroom and the second was like this one:

ps_sky_cabin.jpg

Notice the four locking drawers!

I was hoping to find a picture that showed the rest of the stateroom, as there were more drawers in the stateroom than I have found on a ship since.

I recall the shower being decent-sized, too.

(There was no option to put the beds together, though.)

I agree. We started in 1984 with Sitmar's brand new ship, T.S.S. Fairsky, pictured below. Our first cruise was in a porthole stateroom and the second was like this one:

ps_sky_cabin.jpg

Notice the four locking drawers!

I was hoping to find a picture that showed the rest of the stateroom, as there were more drawers in the stateroom than I have found on a ship since.

I recall the shower being decent-sized, too.

(There was no option to put the beds together, though.)

No offense - I'll take the Oceania cabins :D

We did the Fairsky to Alaska in 1984. Our first cruise north out of SF. Had an inside cabin...same size as a with a port hole...which didn't open.

No offense - I'll take the Oceania cabins :D

If you never sailed on Sitmar, you're in no position to compare. Granted there were bunks, and they weren't bad at all. The rest of the experience was unparalleled. Best pizza ever with great red wine that one could chew. Italian officers & Italian and Portuguese crew. That was something no other cruise line will ever be able to duplicate.

Archived