Grrrr booking guarantee cabins!!

juicy1

We tried to book a guarantee junior suite which will definitly hold 2 adults and a pack n play for a baby. We were told they could only book 2 adults in a guarantee. now my question to them was but I will be guaranteed a junior suite or bigger correct? Was told yes

All suites can hold a pack n play correct? was told yes

So why can't I book the guarantee again? was told could only book 2 adults on a guarantee......

So if I want to book a suite I would have to pick a particular cabin and pay extra for this even though I would be given a junior suite if I booked a guarantee. Feel completely discriminated against because we wish to bring our baby with us. Having just come back from a jnr suite I would really like to book again in the near furture. After strong words with the reservations assistant I got him to ask his supervisor if I could get some onboard to compensate the fact that I cannot book potentially the same cabin (after a great deal of me pushing they offered 300 dollars OBC) the price difference is more than 300 dollars.

Now I understand if I wanted any other guarantee category because not every cabin could accomodate a pack n play. I am fine with that but the suite thing really bugs me.

Thanks for reading my rant.

juicy1,

Unfortunately that´s they way it is...

On our recent Voyager cruise they had a suite guarantee for 838 Euros (first person). The regular price was 1199 Euros. We paid 829 Euros for our E1 Balcony and they sold Ds for 899. I would have been happy to pay 18 Euros more for two to get a JS (or higher) but no chance with a third person (in our case our 11 yo DD which had a flat fee anyway - special offer this summer in Germany). But I wouldn´t have paid more than 700 Euros more for the JS. And nearly all JS have triple or more occupancy. We asked onboard for an upgrade (and would have paid) but no chance - all gone. I had a laugh on the voice message saying that we will be informed if anything is getting available throughout the cruise...

steamboats

Not all discount rates are available to everyone. Guarantee rates are usually only available for bookings for 2 people, though they are occasionally available for bookings for 3 and 4. We cruise with our son sometimes and have missed out on guarantee rates too because we need a cabin for 3 but we have also missed out on great senior rates and residency discounts too.

We had same on upcoming four night cruise when trying to book suite Guarantee, we would have been happy for a rollaway bed for DS (3) but same rule applied. Lady on phone said it was because it's the only way they can have absolute flexibility and keep third and forth person spaces open for those rooms designed to cater for them. Makes sense I guess.

Still, got a good deal on superior balcony and a small price drop subsequently.

Have fun.

I'm kinda of shocked they offered you OBC to be honest.

There are rules with EVERY offer.

Did they feel strong armed by your STRONG words. I am sorry your conversation went the way of 'discrimination'......................

That is the conversation that is the nightmare of any business & I am sure makes them rethink offers they make.

I really do not think you should feel good about getting onboard credit & I certainly would not brag about the way you got it.

And yes...I have kids,4 & 6 grandkids.

We tried to book a guarantee junior suite which will definitly hold 2 adults and a pack n play for a baby. We were told they could only book 2 adults in a guarantee. now my question to them was but I will be guaranteed a junior suite or bigger correct? Was told yes

All suites can hold a pack n play correct? was told yes

So why can't I book the guarantee again? was told could only book 2 adults on a guarantee......

So if I want to book a suite I would have to pick a particular cabin and pay extra for this even though I would be given a junior suite if I booked a guarantee. Feel completely discriminated against because we wish to bring our baby with us. Having just come back from a jnr suite I would really like to book again in the near furture. After strong words with the reservations assistant I got him to ask his supervisor if I could get some onboard to compensate the fact that I cannot book potentially the same cabin (after a great deal of me pushing they offered 300 dollars OBC) the price difference is more than 300 dollars.

Now I understand if I wanted any other guarantee category because not every cabin could accomodate a pack n play. I am fine with that but the suite thing really bugs me.

Thanks for reading my rant.

You're lucky you got anything. And the fact that a cabin will hold a pack-n-play does not mean they have lifejacket/lifeboat capacity to put three people into the cabin. The whole idea behind gty's is they give you a discount in exchange for increased flexibility. Having three people in a cabin limits their flexibility and thus the value to them of the gty.

Firstly , I was only ranting and didn't expect the replies I got and shippy I didn't use the word discrimination to RCI. I only said I felt discriminated by here on the forum.

I understand RCI needing flexibility with cabins etc but if you buy a gty suite cabin everyone of them hold at least 2 adult and 1 child. It's not an issue of lifejackets either.

As for bragging about obc I wasn't actually bragging.

This below is bragging

The last 3 cruises booked I have been given obc just for booking so it has been my experience that obc is the norm. I have booked through both a ta and RCI themselves directly.

From this thread I am now aware that obc is not the norm and feel lucky with my dealings with RCI even though I don't agree with the gty cabin offers.

DH and I booked a guarantee JS quite a while ago and paid it off way early. shortly after (like a week?) we were assigned a cabin. we didn't like the location and since it was about 6 months before leaving there were plenty of JS cabins still available. We called and changed to a hump JS. What if you took the gty cabin, paid it off early, get assigned, and then change it to a JS that accommodates 3, then few weeks later add the baby? Do you think that would work? just a thought. I was considering changing to a JS for 3 in case we decided to take our teenager with us. BUT he prefers to stay home with his friends. Good luck, hope it works our for you.

There are rules with EVERY offer.

Did they feel strong armed by your STRONG words. I am sorry your conversation went the way of 'discrimination'......................

That is the conversation that is the nightmare of any business & I am sure makes them rethink offers they make.

I really do not think you should feel good about getting onboard credit & I certainly would not brag about the way you got it.

And yes...I have kids,4 & 6 grandkids.

I could not agree with you more. Rules are rules. I would never strong arm someone to get something I was not entitled to. I feel sorry for the person who answered the phone as they were only following the rules and got berated for it. Talk about entitlement.

Firstly , I was only ranting and didn't expect the replies I got and shippy I didn't use the word discrimination to RCI. I only said I felt discriminated by here on the forum.

No you said RCI was discriminating against you for bringing a baby.

I understand RCI needing flexibility with cabins etc but if you buy a gty suite cabin everyone of them hold at least 2 adult and 1 child. It's not an issue of lifejackets either.

It's a matter of souls on board. Doesn't matter if they are babies or 100 yo. Haven't you heard of a little ship called the Titanic? There has to be a space for everyone on board.

As for bragging about obc I wasn't actually bragging.

This below is bragging

The last 3 cruises booked I have been given obc just for booking so it has been my experience that obc is the norm. I have booked through both a ta and RCI themselves directly.

Wow you seem like the type of person who needs constant patting on the back. Was it really necessary to post this?

From this thread I am now aware that obc is not the norm and feel lucky with my dealings with RCI even though I don't agree with the gty cabin offers.

See red for replies.

I'm angry at Royal Caribbean if they really gave this person obc just because he/she couldn't book 3 into a suite guarantee.

I need to book a triple every time I cruise and I've never gotten a suite guarantee yet (although they have been offered for doubles on my sailings).

I guess if you complain enough they'll do something. The key seems to be not asking for a price match but asking for obc instead.

DH and I booked a guarantee JS quite a while ago and paid it off way early. shortly after (like a week?) we were assigned a cabin. we didn't like the location and since it was about 6 months before leaving there were plenty of JS cabins still available. We called and changed to a hump JS. What if you took the gty cabin, paid it off early, get assigned, and then change it to a JS that accommodates 3, then few weeks later add the baby? Do you think that would work? just a thought. I was considering changing to a JS for 3 in case we decided to take our teenager with us. BUT he prefers to stay home with his friends. Good luck, hope it works our for you.

Big flaw here is the cruiseline can wait until you get to the pier to assign you a cabin. Most times they don't assign until after final pay so you would be in penalty phase then.

Don't know if it always works, but we booked our suite Guarantee and waited for cabin assignment. Once we got our cabin we added our DD (2) to the cabin. Since she was less than 3 she can stay in a 2 person cabin, which we were assigned, or if she was older than 3 we could have moved to a 3 person capable cabin after assignment and then added her. The guarantee saved us $500 on the cabin and the cost of the third person was paid at the normal 3rd person rate for the JS that we got.

We were told there are times they do guarantee for more than 2, but I've never seen it.

Scott

Don't know if it always works, but we booked our suite Guarantee and waited for cabin assignment. Once we got our cabin we added our DD (2) to the cabin. Since she was less than 3 she can stay in a 2 person cabin, which we were assigned, or if she was older than 3 we could have moved to a 3 person capable cabin after assignment and then added her. The guarantee saved us $500 on the cabin and the cost of the third person was paid at the normal 3rd person rate for the JS that we got.

We were told there are times they do guarantee for more than 2, but I've never seen it.

Scott

You take a big chance doing this. You can't always add a third person even if the ship is not at capacity. What would have you done if she wasn't able to be added?

Archived