Placing a "HOLD" on a cruise

CruisinManiac

I have a question about placing a "HOLD" through the Celebrity website.

We wanted to place the 48 hour "HOLD" to secure the current rate of a CC GTY, while looking for airfare and making other arrangements.

QUESTION: IF the rate were to go down between now and the next 48 hours, could I cancel the "HOLD" and book at the lower rate?

I will also be wanting to contact a Celebrity rep (that has been recommended) to make the final booking so that I can give our Captains Club and Crown & Anchor numbers. However, I do not wish to involve her until we are sure we want to book.

The reason I wish to place a "HOLD" is because we just lost out on another cruise that HAD a great rate. The rate disappeared sometime overnight. :( I was busy looking at air and such, and waited a day too long. Should have placed a "HOLD" on that cruise.

I have a question about placing a "HOLD" through the Celebrity website.

We wanted to place the 48 hour "HOLD" to secure the current rate of a CC GTY, while looking for airfare and making other arrangements.

QUESTION: IF the rate were to go down between now and the next 48 hours, could I cancel the "HOLD" and book at the lower rate?

I will also be wanting to contact a Celebrity rep (that has been recommended) to make the final booking so that I can give our Captains Club and Crown & Anchor numbers. However, I do not wish to involve her until we are sure we want to book.

The reason I wish to place a "HOLD" is because we just lost out on another cruise that HAD a great rate. The rate disappeared sometime overnight. :( I was busy looking at air and such, and waited a day too long. Should have placed a "HOLD" on that cruise.

I believe that your rate is locked in when you make a deposit. If you simply get a courtesy hold you are not locking in the rate. I'm certain that someone will correct me if I'm in error.

OK, so does that mean if I place the courtesy hold with a rate of $449, and the rate goes UP within that 48 hour hold, that the $449 rate is no good ?

I believe that is the case....read the fine print or call celebrity and ask.

OK, so does that mean if I place the courtesy hold with a rate of $449, and the rate goes UP within that 48 hour hold, that the $449 rate is no good ?

That is my understanding. Only an actual booking locks in the rate. This seems to be a standard practice in the travel industry.

no...the rate will stay...i've done it. As for the price going down...you said its a GTY category..BUT if you'd picked, say cabin 1234...and played what i call "price and cabin roulette.." you MIGHT lose the cabin in the few moments it would take you to place another hold..if that makes sense.....

(presuming you're doing this on =X='s website..)

I'm very surprised to see all the posters saying that you don't hold the price, because in my experience, yes, you do.

If my TA is unavailable and I get a price drop, I place a courtesy hold on a room in my category to ensure that I get the price drop- she then collapses the 2 bookings together so I keep my original booking number and get the new price. Yes, there have been times the price has gone back up or vanished entirely (as is the case with a FV GTY I booked in 2008) but I have still gotten it.

Where is it listed on Celebrity's site that they don't honour the price if you make a hold? AFAIK, a courtesy hold is the equivalent of a booking as long as you deposit within the allotted time.

I'm very surprised to see all the posters saying that you don't hold the price, because in my experience, yes, you do.

If my TA is unavailable and I get a price drop, I place a courtesy hold on a room in my category to ensure that I get the price drop- she then collapses the 2 bookings together so I keep my original booking number and get the new price. Yes, there have been times the price has gone back up or vanished entirely (as is the case with a FV GTY I booked in 2008) but I have still gotten it.

Where is it listed on Celebrity's site that they don't honour the price if you make a hold? AFAIK, a courtesy hold is the equivalent of a booking as long as you deposit within the allotted time.

no...the rate will stay...i've done it. As for the price going down...you said its a GTY category..BUT if you'd picked, say cabin 1234...and played what i call "price and cabin roulette.." you MIGHT lose the cabin in the few moments it would take you to place another hold..if that makes sense.....

(presuming you're doing this on =X='s website..)

Great! I'll go ahead and put it on hold. Thank you.

We put a Cabin on hold and it does hold the cabin at that price. don't know what the experience was of those saying you only put a hold on the room, not the pricing.

And we needed to coordinate with another couple and it was exceeding the 48 hrs. I called Celebrity and they continued the hold to the date I asked for, including the price. Not sure of what happens if the price drops, but I'd assume (yup, dangerous word) you'd get the new price, just as if you'd made the reservation with a deposit and the price dropped.

Den

Use a great travel agent. He/she will probably be able to get you a longer hold (especially if the TA does lots of business with Celebrity), make sure you get the lowest price and probably give you a healthy OBC as well. Why would you do it yourself?

We put a Cabin on hold and it does hold the cabin at that price. don't know what the experience was of those saying you only put a hold on the room, not the pricing.

And we needed to coordinate with another couple and it was exceeding the 48 hrs. I called Celebrity and they continued the hold to the date I asked for, including the price. Not sure of what happens if the price drops, but I'd assume (yup, dangerous word) you'd get the new price, just as if you'd made the reservation with a deposit and the price dropped.

Den

You are correct. Putting a cabin on courtesy hold does protect the price. If the price goes down, it's treated the same as if the price drops before final payment. You get the lower price.

Jo-Ann

I've used the hold feature many times on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. You place a hold on a specific category of room at a specific price. This hold is valid usually for a minimum of 24 hours, but I have found it's typically until midnight on the next day....so basically 24 hours plus. On one occassion it was a last minute deal leaving in less than 7 days and the cruise sold out between me putting the room on hold and actually making payment. I had to call directly that time, but they still honored the hold.

Archived