Back to Backs - Pro & Cons???

My DW and I are considering booking a B2B on Mariner for east and west caribbean. Both of us have 6 cruises under our belt, the longest being a Holiday special (9 night).

I am interested to hear from people who have done B2Bs in the past and the pros and cons from their points of view.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Cheers:D

Con - They still make you get off the ship at the end of your second sailing :p

Pro - Longer cruise, more time to get to know staff. It's fun watching people get on board and wonder how you beat them to the pool chairs!

We are about to do our third (on the Allure), each an Eastern/Western Caribbean.

The cons are that the menus and the entertainment are mostly the same on both halves. The exception to that was on the Independence OTS which did longer itineraries in the summer. They had different ice shows and some different production shows on the two halves.

We like at least 10 days and that is hard to find on RCI in the Caribbean.

Pro: Sitting in the Schooner Bar watching the folks from the first week leave the ship. :D

Con: Having to leave the ship at the end of the second week! :(

I don't know what Mariner does, but we had lunch on RCI on turnaround day at Giovanni's Table on Allure. I've read that Oasis does the same thing.

We also had the same cabin each week, but I'd be willing to pack up and move if it meant the upgrade fairy had been to visit!

Another "downside" will be the repeat of menu and most entertainment, although the headliners will be different.

Someone did mention already..........

I have a few b2bs and can't think of one con:) even for the ones I had to change cabins............had all that done by 9am.......then you get to enjoy "your ship" for a few hours till the next set of passengers board..

Pro - Longer cruise, more time to get to know staff. It's fun watching people get on board and wonder how you beat them to the pool chairs!

Hmmm, that's something I didn't think of. Can you request to have the same table/servers for both segments?

Hmmm, that's something I didn't think of. Can you request to have the same table/servers for both segments?
You can ask but no guarantees. We asked and got the same table both legs. Unfortunately, the waitstaff was rotated and we ended up with a not-so-special team of newbies. Would have asked to follow our waitstaff had we known.

We're doing our first B2B this December. We can't thing of a single negative thing about it. Sure the menu's are the same, but there are usually several items we'd like to try anyways so it's not like we'll be eating the same thing both weeks. Same thing for entertainment, most evenings there are several things taking place that we want to do now we can spread it over two weeks.

Another positive is that with doing a B2B you're only paying for airfare once (vs. doing two seperate cruises at different times of the year).

We are thinking of doing B2B next year. How does the tipping work? Do you pay at the end of the 2 weeks or one week at a time? Also do you keep the same table both cruises as I will request that?

We stayed in the same cabin so paid gratuities to the stewards as the end of the second cruise. Funny thing was we had interconnecting promenade cabins (us in 1 and kids in other), but because of their position, ended up with 2 separate stewards? Was strange at first, but nice for the boys to have their own space and steward - made them feel more independent;). We requested for the same table and staff for the second week but this didn't happen. That said, our second cruise waiting staff were also excellent. Obviously, we had to pay the tips to the waiters after the first cruise.

We didn't have to leave the ship after the first cruise, we stayed onboard and used the facilities in peace. RCI also offer a special lunch menu in the main dining room and use of the concierge lounge for breakfast on the last morning of the first cruise. Ours wasn't the same itinerary for the second cruise so we had more variation on the menus, entertainment etc. Great feeling knowing you can stay on when everyone else has to leave.

We are thinking of doing B2B next year. How does the tipping work? Do you pay at the end of the 2 weeks or one week at a time? Also do you keep the same table both cruises as I will request that?

We paid all our tips after the first part..........then again after the 2nd..

exactly. it's VERY mean to make you get off the ship!

there are no cons other than that...and maybe changing cabins (if necessary..but even that isn't bad.)

Soooo..the only con is having to (eventually) get off the ship!:mad::eek::D

We have done two B2B's and are about to do our third. I can only think of good things about it. We did have to move cabins during one of ours and it really wasn't a problem.

It's all good as far as I am concerned. :D

We are doing our second B2B which starts with your second leg on Jewel's first trip out of Tampa. See you on board!!!

We have cruised on Jewel twice before and wanted to go on her again but 5 nights was just not long enough. We have cabins on the hump and will be changing but just a couple of cabins apart. No biggy. 39 Days and counting!!!:D:D

We were on a B2B on FOS this summer. We had a really good table location (right by the window) so asked and were lucky enough to get the same table again. We were assigned different wait staff but felt that our second week servers were actually better.

We loved being on the B2B. Our family really enjoyed having the pool to ourselves for at least a couple of hours. My Dh thought it was brilliant to be able to splash in the pool and watch the Tour de France with no one else around. Our kids also got a quick splash in the Solarium pool as there was no one else around.

As previous posters have said, each booking is treated separately in terms of tipping etc. You get envelopes for each week.

We also had a special lunch in the MDR. Ours was slightly rushed as we actually hadn't disembarked yet. We had to leave the MDR quite quickly to meet in Vintages to get our new seapasses etc. Our second cruise was delayed coming into Port Canaveral so passengers weren't able to disembark until close to 9:00 am. Unlike most B2B cruises when the boat empties very quickly in the morning, there were a lot of really stressed people (which is understandable) waiting to leave the ship.It was a relief to know we weren't caught up in all that stress and could relax all day.

I would agreed that it could be seen as a bit of a drag that the menus and the entertainment are the same. We actually experimented a bit on the menu and tried some different stuff knowing we could always fall back on our favourites. We also did some different things in the evening instead of always heading down to the theatre. Also, if we saw something that we really liked in the theatre, it meant we could encourage the kids to come the second week.

Next summer we have booked to do a B2B on Oasis. It will be nice not to feel pressured to fill the whole first week up knowing that we can do some of the shows and restaurants during the second week. Two weeks on Oasis.....can't wait!!

i have been able to keep the same table though not always the same servers (though i have managed to make that happen, with one exception....on one cruise the dining room manager even rearranged on asst waiter's schedule for us!:D)

and you pay your tips each week, as technically you're on 2 different voyages....PLUS some crew members may NOT be on the ship the 2nd leg....could be the start of their vacation...

your turnaround day experience may also be different....i think in all my b2bs, i only had one luncheon on an RCCL trip, but on the b2b2b i did on =X='s Summit, we had a really nice brunch at the start of each new cruise, including free champagne/mimosas! woo hoo....sometimes you'll ahve to get off the ship and go through customs/immigration and sometimes not....depends on the port....only once did we get to stay on the ship---mainly due to weather and several people, including my mom, being in wheelchairs and it was extremely cold, and snowing. Not sure how the guest admin officer managed that one, but so glad she did!

Enjoy! b2bs are Sooooooo fun!

I booked a B2B on Oasis cause I was flying to Florida and I knew I wouldn't be able to fly again for a couple of years, so....

PROS

1. Not having to pay double airfare

2. Partying the last night of the first cruise rather than packing and crying!

3. Everything you didn't get a chance to do the first week, you can do the second week.

4. Most of the staff remembers you and your preferences so you become a semi VIP

5. Doing Eastern and Western B2B you won't repeat a port.

6. Although they make you leave the ship with everyone else during the first leg, you can plan an excursion and enjoy the day!

7. So many more.....but I am stuck.

Cons

1. RCCL won't deliver any Booze you brought the first week until the end of the second week (they got hip to us real quick!)

2. Going back to work after being in Paradise for 2 weeks

3. Having the time of my life and going back to routine life!

Hmmm..b2b sounds very enticing. Can anyone give me some examples of ships that would be doing 2 different itineraries b2b, preferably in the Caribbean?

Thanks!

The Brilliance is doing one leaving Bayonne, N.J. on 11/2/12 and going to SJ. The first leg is 8 days. The turnaround day is in SJ. 11/10/12. The second leg is 7 days ending in SJ.

Judi :)

Hmmm..b2b sounds very enticing. Can anyone give me some examples of ships that would be doing 2 different itineraries b2b, preferably in the Caribbean?

Thanks!

Oasis, Allure, Freedom - alternate between Eastern and Western itineraries

Explorer - alternates between 9night Eastern Caribbean and 5night Bermuda itineraries

Adventure & Serenade - do to different 7night Southern Caribbean itineraries

I have done a few back to backs cause it makes sense to stay on...our best , I was just reflecting, was where we met more people than ever, a 22 nighter from Barcelona thru France, Monaco Italy , Spain Spain Spain, Canary islands and then back to Galveston. It was perfect. Seeing everyone get off in Barcelona after one week of running around made me cry in pain for them ! It would have been horrible to head home after one week (and my home is a relaxed life on the beach) You need to relax, and relax we did for the 15 day part of the 2nd cruise on the Voyager where we got to relax.

Airfare is a big factor yes, and most of the cruises are so short....why not stay for 2 in a row ?

Our alcohol (dont care, drinking for free in DP lounge) is usually delivered on the 2nd cruise (they make so many mistakes)

ALWAYS make sure they have your credit card on file for the 2nd (or third) cruise because 3/4 of the times they have NOT had my card on file and upset me GREATLY when I was trying to disembark !!!

Archived