How early can you board the Summit in San Juan?

cricri7

HI guys....I will be cruising on the Summit at the beginning of March departing San Juan. I have never cruised from there and the ship seems to be leaving later than it usually does in the United States. I have a couple of questions:

*What is the earliest you can board the Summit on departing day?

*Once boarded, it is possible to leave the ship easily or do you have to pass through check-in and all the long lines? Is there another line for people who have already checked in? Sorry for this weird question but I have never tried leaving the ship once I was boarded. I don't even know if you can do it or not?

Thanks in advance guys?

HI guys....I will be cruising on the Summit at the beginning of March departing San Juan. I have never cruised from there and the ship seems to be leaving later than it usually does in the United States. I have a couple of questions:

*What is the earliest you can board the Summit on departing day?

*Once boarded, it is possible to leave the ship easily or do you have to pass through check-in and all the long lines? Is there another line for people who have already checked in? Sorry for this weird question but I have never tried leaving the ship once I was boarded. I don't even know if you can do it or not?

Thanks in advance guys?

Hi, you can board the ship about noon and cabins are usually

ready about 1.

I always stay on the ship once I have checked in so can't give you

answer on that one but I am sure others will help.

Thanks guys for your replies....I thought it would be later than 1 PM since the ship leaves later in the night....I am anxious to see if others have answers about the getting in and out of the ship after checking in!

Thanks guys for your replies....I thought it would be later than 1 PM since the ship leaves later in the night....I am anxious to see if others have answers about the getting in and out of the ship after checking in!

Even though you sail in the evening you can still board in the noon

hour (or there abouts:))

Some follow up questions...does the main dining room operate on a regular schedule on the departure day? Are all the main areas and facilities of the ship open to passengers after early boarding? Room service? Thanks for your response.

We have sailed on the Summit and quite a few other ships out of San Juan so I hope this helps.

We have boarded as early as 11:30. We check in, drop off our luggage and grab a cab to Old San Juan (or wherever) for the afternoon.

Lunch is served in the Lido and cabins are usually available around 1:30. You can roam through the public areas but not access your cabin until the announcement is made.

The main dining room is open for dinner only. Room service is available when the staterooms are available.

When you return to the ship from your outing make sure you have a photo id in addition to your key card. The only line you need to stand in at this point is security. We have done this at least 10 times and no matter when we return to the ship we have never had a long line to stand in or any difficulty boarding.

Ships sailing from San Juan have, for the last thirty + years, left late in the evening to accommodate passengers flying in the day of the cruise.

IF you have more questions, please ask....you may get more answers than you want but you won't be neglected!

We did B2B's on the Summit around March of last year. We arrived around 3, only because we flew in the day of. Usually we prefer to get there about 11 ish so that we can be among the first to board.

Since we did B2B's we did leave and reboard. I don't recall there being a seperate line but we only had to go through security then we were able to walk past the photo taking and reboard. I would imagine if you have your boarding card it would be the same process.

We've usually arrived around noon and boarding has always been well underway at that time.

On our last trip we got off around 2 or 3 to buy some wine and bottled water at the store in the port. We did have to go through a long security line when re-boarding the ship - probably took an extra 20 min or so.

Dinner varies and has been normal seating on some cruises and open seating at the normal times (6PM or 8:30) on others leaving late from San Juan.

The muster drill is often early - before dinner. On our last cruise from San Juan in 2010 it was at 5:30. If you board too late to make this then you'll be required to attend a make up drill - possibly the next morning.

We've usually arrived around noon and boarding has always been well underway at that time.

On our last trip we got off around 2 or 3 to buy some wine and bottled water at the store in the port. We did have to go through a long security line when re-boarding the ship - probably took an extra 20 min or so.

Dinner varies and has been normal seating on some cruises and open seating at the normal times (6PM or 8:30) on others leaving late from San Juan.

The muster drill is often early - before dinner. On our last cruise from San Juan in 2010 it was at 5:30. If you board too late to make this then you'll be required to attend a make up drill - possibly the next morning.

Is there a place nearby (walking distance) that sells wine or did you need to take a cab? How did you get past security with your wine?

Is there a place nearby (walking distance) that sells wine or did you need to take a cab? How did you get past security with your wine?

There is a store right in the cruise terminal. The 3 cruises we've taken in San Juan (last was in March 2010) you pass it in between check-in counters and the security lines.

They sell a wide variety of liquor, wine and some other items. The wine selection isn't huge but included some nice Champagne, which is what we wanted. We had a lot of carry-on's so we boarded the ship then got off and bought a couple bottles along with a bunch of bottled water there.

On Celebrity you are allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom so there were no questions at all from security.

There is a store right in the cruise terminal. The 3 cruises we've taken in San Juan (last was in March 2010) you pass it in between check-in counters and the security lines.

They sell a wide variety of liquor, wine and some other items. The wine selection isn't huge but included some nice Champagne, which is what we wanted. We had a lot of carry-on's so we boarded the ship then got off and bought a couple bottles along with a bunch of bottled water there.

On Celebrity you are allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom so there were no questions at all from security.

Was the bottled water price comparable to a convenience or drug store?

we recently sailed the Carnival Victory out of San Juan, with a two day pre-cruise stay at the Intercontinental. We decided to to stay at the hotel ALL DAY, use the pool and beach just like a port day and then return to the ship at about 5PM. It was great, no line at all. Walked right on, went to our room, and walked off to spend the evening in Old Town. It was one of the best "port days" ever.

Was the bottled water price comparable to a convenience or drug store?

Sorry but I don't recall the exact prices of the water but the prices were not high - nothing like single bottle prices you'd find at tourist beverage stands and much lower than on-ship pricing.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there space in the room fridge for the wine? I did not know you could bring two bottles onto Celebrity ships.

There is a very small fridge. You might be able to fit in the wine if you take out all the mini bar items. It would probably be easier to ask your steward for ice and chill the wine that way. They will also provide glasses and a corkscrew. Nothing like a drink on your balcony with a plate of cheese and crackers and nibbles from the buffet or cafe al Bacio..

Is there space in the room fridge for the wine? I did not know you could bring two bottles onto Celebrity ships.

The 'fridge' in the cabins is a mini bar, cooler, not as cold as a fridge. We can usually squeeze a bottle of wine in if we shift items around and take some out. If you take some out and put them on the shelf above be sure and tell your steward so you will not be charged for them - or as suggested above ask your steward to remove the items. You might not be able to fit the bottle in standing up - might have to tilt it a bit propped up against something inside if need be.

As librarylady indicated above, your cabin steward will bring you everything you need on request. They will also chill a bottle of wine in an ice bucket on request. If you know ahead of time you'll want that in the evening then you can ask in the morning for them to have it chilled in ice for you when you return from your excursions for the day. Or just call them and ask when you need it but sometimes afternoon requests take a little longer if your regular steward is on break.

• 4 weeks later...

Are the pools open when you board? We will be in San Juan for a day before the cruise, so I think once we are on the ship we will explore and relax... by the pool is my choice! Interesting about Celebrity allowing two bottles of wine per cabin. I guess no Bacardi allowed?

Planning on bringing some cases of drinks with us - case of bottled water for each cabin I think, and maybe something for the kids, but I think we will just pick that up in Old San Juan before we leave the hotel.

We also are sailing the Summit in March, We are used to late night departures from SJ as they are normally between 11 PM and Midnight. I guess that things and times change, our problem is not how early we can board but how late, I see that the ship is set to depart at 8:30 PM and they require you to be on board at least 90 minutes before sailing. We have air booked through CC but it lands SJ at 5:38 PM and the last coulple of weeks it's been landing at close to 6PM. This could get very tight or will rush us to the ship? The Mrs has thought's of her luggage not making the ship, she likes to worry about everything including dinner the first night.

J & J

We also are sailing the Summit in March, We are used to late night departures from SJ as they are normally between 11 PM and Midnight. I guess that things and times change, our problem is not how early we can board but how late, I see that the ship is set to depart at 8:30 PM and they require you to be on board at least 90 minutes before sailing. We have air booked through CC but it lands SJ at 5:38 PM and the last coulple of weeks it's been landing at close to 6PM. This could get very tight or will rush us to the ship? The Mrs has thought's of her luggage not making the ship, she likes to worry about everything including dinner the first night.

J & J

Booked Summit too but for Christmas and the CSR at Celebrity confirmed, via phone, that if you already completed your online check-in, you should be onboard no later than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time from San Juan (7:00pm in Summit's case with 8:30pm being the Sail-away time).

The Celebrity's CSR also indicated that if you did not complete your online check in, you should be onboard no later than 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure time from San Juan (6:30pm in Summit's case with 8:30pm being the Sail-away time).

Worst case and you may be running late, you may want to contact them from the aiport, upon arrival in SJ and let Celebrity know that you're on your way. This way, they will at least know to expect you and let you in : )

Note that the Emergency Lifeboat Drill usually takes place around 5:15PM (or so) on those SJ sailings and if you're not there, you'll be rescheduled for a later time/ day (as everyone must attend it).

Good luck and I'm confident that you'll make it just fine, especially if your flight arrives on schedule and you can catch the last Celebrity transfer from the airport or a fast taxi ride to the Pan American Pier!

Also on Xmas cruise. We don't land until 3pm.

Anybody have "ship phone number" for summit to call if running late? I will just call celebrity if nobody has it handy.

Only problem I see is if miss ship have to get to Barbados on own and miss our day at sea, which on our trip is Christmas day. Would hate to miss that.

On same cruise in April talked to a couple that arrived ship very late and they told me they never attended any lifeboat drill. Ymmv

Good luck

Don't bother calling Celebrity if you're running late. It won't do a thing for you. If you're not on board 90 minutes before departure, you won't be allowed to board. And if you didn't book your air through Celebrity, they won't help you one iota. You will have to do all the legwork in finding a hotel ( not easy at Christmas) and you will have to find your own flights (again, not easy during Christmas). And even if you booked X's flights, if the delay is more than a very short one, they most likely won't wait as there could be circumstances that force an on time departure.

Don't bother calling Celebrity if you're running late. It won't do a thing for you. If you're not on board 90 minutes before departure, you won't be allowed to board. And if you didn't book your air through Celebrity, they won't help you one iota. You will have to do all the legwork in finding a hotel ( not easy at Christmas) and you will have to find your own flights (again, not easy during Christmas). And even if you booked X's flights, if the delay is more than a very short one, they most likely won't wait as there could be circumstances that force an on time departure.

I was also worried about holiday time backup plans, but after researching found plenty of hotels and enough open flights between San juan and first port of call to feel comfortable if miss ship. That is risk u take when forced to travel on embarkation day or not go on trip. I choose trip and whatever happens will enjoy Xmas in warm climate.

Archived