Blu dress code - change

Albert Ross

Just called 'X' and asked if Blu was considered specialty. When she said yes I then asked her if I was correct to assume that there was no formal night in Blu since all specialty restaurants were now smart casual and above. She said that was incorrect and dining dress codes were ship wide. I suggested she go to the 'X' website and look at dress codes under FAQ's and she was pretty surprised that I was telling her something that she did not know. Works for me---one less bag to pay for with our formal clothes and all that goes with them. I will however keep checking since they seem to change quite often

I wish Celebrity would get their act together and come out with a definitive answer on this. We leave in 3 weeks for a B2B on the Equinox and if I can leave the suit home, all the better.

It also confirms it here

New Ideas From Celebrity | Every Cruise

dated yesterday with the wording just as Phil stated in message #67.

Blu Dress Code:

Although the dress code in Blu (dining venue for AquaClass guests) has always mirrored the dress code of the main dining room, the NEW dress code for Blu will now be Smart Casual and Above for all nights of the cruise. As a note, the dress code for all speciality dining restaurants is already Smart Casual and Above for all nights of the cruise. The main dining room is the only venue where formal attire is required on formal nights.

Thank you for posting this link.

I appreciate what your saying, but would you honestly wear a tux and your wife a ball gown on land? Or perhaps just a jacket?

Have worn a tux many time to formal events and dinners. Own three of them but only two currently fit. Got a bit heavier than I like. :mad: DW has actually lost weight as she aged and looks great in her evening attire. So yes, we do. But I admit we are old fashioned. The place and occasion determine our dress. But the world has changed, for sure.

This is a disappointment. We love formal night and I certainly don't want to feel out of place on formal night when following the dress code! That seems a little ridiculous.

I miss the "old days" not that long ago where the dress code was for the evening, not just for dinner let alone just the MDR!

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with a Celebrity contact this afternoon. He reiterated everything stated in the past few posts, that BLU is Smart Casual "and above" all nights of your Cruise. Of course, if you wish to dress in formal attire, it will be welcomed at BLU.

Based on the previous posts, and my conversation, I'm fairly confident that for those who do not wish to dress formally, the Smart Casual rule applies. This is not the definitive word, but I am trying my best to provide information to our community. If I hear anything further, I will post on this thread.

I hope this is helpful !

Hi Andy. I guess the US just need to catch up with the UK on this information. Maybe the lines of communication are longer. The source I received it from within Captain's Club is a good one.

Phil

....and with the words that I posted in message #1 which was 6 pages ago....:rolleyes:

Absolutely but when you do something like this you need to put a link or something there or else anyone could post anything...I don't think anyone was doubting what you posted, its just nice to have a source....

Honestly, I don't care what the policy is.....we always follow policy. When we first started cruising, formal nights were a big deal to us but the more we cruise, the less we want to dress for formals, especially when there's 3 formal nights!! However, we still dress because that's the policy. There's been a few times that we went to a specialty restaurant on formal night but still dressed. The waiters asked why we were dressed so formal and told us we didn't have to dress that way for the restaurants. We did't know that at the time.

I really think the change in policy will be a welcome change especially for those flying to a port. The cost of luggage is ridiculous and I think the cruiselines know it. I'd be fine with 1, maybe 2 formals on a long cruise, but I really think 3 are to many. We cruise to relax and dressing up for formals is not relaxing to me..........walking around with heels all night on a moving ship is not very comfortable.......LOL

That being said, we will follow whatever policy they make.

Honestly, I don't care what the policy is.....we always follow policy. When we first started cruising, formal nights were a big deal to us but the more we cruise, the less we want to dress for formals, especially when there's 3 formal nights!! However, we still dress because that's the policy. There's been a few times that we went to a specialty restaurant on formal night but still dressed. The waiters asked why we were dressed so formal and told us we didn't have to dress that way for the restaurants. We did't know that at the time.

I really think the change in policy will be a welcome change especially for those flying to a port. The cost of luggage is ridiculous and I think the cruiselines know it. I'd be fine with 1, maybe 2 formals on a long cruise, but I really think 3 are to many. We cruise to relax and dressing up for formals is not relaxing to me..........walking around with heels all night on a moving ship is not very comfortable.......LOL

That being said, we will follow whatever policy they make.

Agree...completely....1 maybe 2....no more

Indeed it has. Of course some folks can accept change. Some folks can not!;)

Agreed, but not all change is good. Just look around you in everyday life. Are you really happy with all the change you see? Most people are not according to the polls I see. More than 80% disagree with the direction the United States is taking. Maybe you are part of the 20% and that is fine. To each his/her own as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others.

Agreed, but not all change is good. Just look around you in everyday life. Are you really happy with all the change you see? Most people are not according to the polls I see. More than 80% disagree with the direction the United States is taking. Maybe you are part of the 20% and that is fine. To each his/her own as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others.

What the direction that the US is taking has nothing to do with Albert Ross' original statement and the responses that followed.It's amazing that the boards go in every direction but straight.

What the direction that the US is taking has nothing to do with Albert Ross' original statement and the responses that followed.It's amazing that the boards go in every direction but straight.

You're right, I am sorry. I need a cup of coffee. Got to get packing all our formal wear for the cruise this week.

Absolutely but when you do something like this you need to put a link or something there or else anyone could post anything...I don't think anyone was doubting what you posted, its just nice to have a source....

But even the link is to a travel advice website, not an official Celebrity source. It seems legit enough, but I'd love to see it on X's site.

This is a disappointment. We love formal night and I certainly don't want to feel out of place on formal night when following the dress code! That seems a little ridiculous.

I miss the "old days" not that long ago where the dress code was for the evening, not just for dinner let alone just the MDR!

Yup...times are a changin' and for the better I believe. I much prefer to have a choice as to how I can dress for the entire evening. As a woman, believe me, I'm not all that comfortable in formal wear, especially wearing the undergarments to smooth everything out (if you know what I mean). I love to be comfortable in the theater, especially when I'm on vacation. My goodness, vacation is all about being able to relax and enjoy oneself. Dressing formally is just the opposite of being comfortable for me and hubby too.

We are coming back to Celebrity simply because the dress code has been relaxed. It has been several years since we cruised on Celebrity and are now looking forward to cruising on Eclipse in December.

Enjoy your cruise! Wishing you sunny skys and smooth seas!

Thank you! We are going thru the Panama Canal during rainy season:( so are prepared for bad weather. BUT, we have our Cruise Critic panchos to help protect our formal wear during the shore excursions. :rolleyes: We must keep this tread on topic, of course.

You know darn well that I was talking about changes to dress on cruise ships (Celebrity in particular) and not the current political situation in the United States.

I don't believe that anyone has said that the formal folks should no longer be able to dress formally if they please. I do not see how folks who wish to dress smart casual are infringing on the rights of others.

You know darn well that I was talking about changes to dress on cruise ships (Celebrity in particular) and not the current political situation in the United States.

I don't believe that anyone has said that the formal folks should no longer be able to dress formally if they please. I do not see how folks who wish to dress smart casual are infringing on the rights of others.

I am sorry that you thought i was talking about politics as i would never do that on this blog. That poll has been showing a similar trend thru the last four or five administrations no matter who is in charge. The point I thought you were making is that us old fashioned people just have difficulty accepting change and that is why we continue to dress up for dinner. Maybe I read too much into your comment and, if so, I do apologize.

We will be in AQ on the Eclipse next year and will dress formally on the formal nights, even though we will be dining in Blu. Having said that we are fortunate that we will not have to worry about the amount of luggage we take as we live very close to the port. Whether we change our minds on future cruises, where a flight is necessary, remains to be seen!

If you go on the main page of Celebrity's website, down at the very bottom of the page it lists a bunch of different things to click on. Click on the e-brochure link, then the Caribbean brochure, and on the second page it tells about dining, and proper attire. It very specifically makes a point of saying that Blu for AQ is now smart casual along with the other specialty restaurants, on formal night. And it does state that MDR is still formal attire on formal night.

This may be the only place on the "american Celebrity website", as compared to the UK website that others have mentioned, that does tell about the new dress code for Blu.

If you go on the main page of Celebrity's website, down at the very bottom of the page it lists a bunch of different things to click on. Click on the e-brochure link, then the Caribbean brochure, and on the second page it tells about dining, and proper attire. It very specifically makes a point of saying that Blu for AQ is now smart casual along with the other specialty restaurants, on formal night. And it does state that MDR is still formal attire on formal night.

This may be the only place on the "american Celebrity website", as compared to the UK website that others have mentioned, that does tell about the new dress code for Blu.

Thank you for the post.Hope this clears things uo for the American cruisers.

Thank you! We are going thru the Panama Canal during rainy season:( so are prepared for bad weather. BUT, we have our Cruise Critic panchos to help protect our formal wear during the shore excursions. :rolleyes: We must keep this tread on topic, of course.

Well, whatever the weather, enjoy your cruise. A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work! ;)

Is there a dress code in the dining rooms?

A: Yes. Depending on the length of your itinerary,

between one and three nights will be designated as

formal, with the remainder designated “Smart Casual

and Above.” The dress code in Celebrity's specialty

restaurants, including Blu for our AquaClass® guests,

is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of your

cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining

room on formal evenings. Please note that T-shirts,

swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps

and pool wear are not permitted in the main dining

room at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not

permitted after 6:00pm.

This is from the Caribbean Brochure mentioned above.

Archived