Oosterdam MedEvac Latest from HI Newspaper

billroddy

Last year, during the Trans Pacific crossing on board the Volendam I understand that 5 patients were taken off the ship.

The first was the day after leaving Seattle, Captain Visser asked everyone to remain seated while the ship turned around to head toward Astoria to meet helicopter for a medical evacuation. The helicopter arrived during first seating of dinner.

The last person to be evacuated was at the Bay of Islands, a tender port, we were out for our pre breakfast walk, a lifeboat was lowered to the lower promenade deck, and the patient was carried in and transported ashore, where an ambulance was waiting.

Amazing.........

Thank you for sharing that, Copper.

Makes be very, very respectful of the work and training of these teams and most appreciative.

We have been on ships when there have been evacuations but guests are kept as far from it as possible so we never actually viewed it.

A bit more info.

At about 11 AM on Monday the Captain notified us of a sick patient who had now been stabilized and we were continuing on.

At a bit before 10 PM the Captain announced we would turn around, head for Hilo and MedEvac the patient

On Tues AM the Captain announced that there were 3 ill patients to be removed from the ship and many forward areas of the ship were closed to us so the evacuations could be made

After the first two were en-route to Hilo the Captain we needed to wait for one of the helicopters to return from Hilo for the last ill passenger.

After the last one was on his (her?) way the Captain announced the revised schedule.

HAL will make travel arrangements for those who had made travel arrangements with HAL. Others will deal with it on their own

Internet & phones are free until Thursday PM to accommodate that.

Internet service is incredibly SLOW!

What an incredible video. Thanks for sharing Copper 10-8. We need to be reminded from time to time of the heroic efforts of our Coast Guard as well as all other responders we count on in times of emergency but seldom think about in the rest of our everyday lives.

I assume that everybody on the Nov 5 cruise got the same email. For those of us that are flying in, we are getting:

-free hotel Saturday night (including transfer)

-$75 onboard credit for cost of meals in SD

-$150 onboard credit for loss of day

-25% credit (based on cost of this cruise) on future Mexican Riviera cruise.

Personally, I think this is VERY generous.

I thought about that video all night and had to watch it again this morning.

My heart is pounding just watching it.

Those brave men and women who do this work for the aid of the rest of us.

How does one say thank you enough?

I assume that everybody on the Nov 5 cruise got the same email. For those of us that are flying in, we are getting:

I agree. You are being taken care of for the immediate problem of food & housing, along with reimbursement that more than covers the cost of one day on board.

It just took HAL a little while to put the package together and confirm arrangements. That was to be expected.

Have a good (shortened) cruise, Gunther.

I think that a very fair package.

I wonder though when you say free hotel....... did they book rooms at a specific hotel for those who are on their hotel package plan only? What about guests who were flying in on their own and had planned to go directly from airport to ship? If they have their own air are they responsible for their own hotel?

Thanks for sharing the details with us and have a

WONDERFUL cruise.

The attached YouTube video is not of the Oosterdam medevac but of a similar operation involving Ryndam in Alaska on 21 JUN 10. This medevac involved a 38-yr old crew member of Ryndam.

Lastly, the Rescue Swimmer hooks up the ship's medical officer (identified by the crew chief as "doctor") onto the sling/harness that he's also attached to, and both are then hoisted into the helo (the LMO is basically 'hanging' in front of the Rescue Swimmer's chest and body).

The ship's medical officer goes up with the swimmer? How long does he stay with the helo? Does he have to catch up to the ship at the next port?

Thanks

Roy

This sounds fair but -- I wonder - $75 onboard credit + $150 onboard credit -- and on our cruises we always get $300 shipboard credit from AMEX + $100 future shipboard credit + $100 Carnival. That comes out to be $725 -- doubt if we would ever use that up in 6 nights.

A bit more info.

At about 11 AM on Monday the Captain notified us of a sick patient who had now been stabilized and we were continuing on.

At a bit before 10 PM the Captain announced we would turn around, head for Hilo and MedEvac the patient

On Tues AM the Captain announced that there were 3 ill patients to be removed from the ship and many forward areas of the ship were closed to us so the evacuations could be made

After the first two were en-route to Hilo the Captain we needed to wait for one of the helicopters to return from Hilo for the last ill passenger.

After the last one was on his (her?) way the Captain announced the revised schedule.

HAL will make travel arrangements for those who had made travel arrangements with HAL. Others will deal with it on their own

Internet & phones are free until Thursday PM to accommodate that.

Internet service is incredibly SLOW!

Thank you for the update.

Our scariest lift was in 2002 -- the Amsterdam had just left Seattle and we were on our way to San Francisco when a passenger had a major heeart attack. We were off the shore of Portland -- many of us in the Crow's Nest watching the helicopter try to lower the basket and a medic. The rains and winds were HORRIBLE!! It took several attempts to get the basket up but the decision was made to leave the medic behind and not make another attempt to get him back up. I sure hope that the ill passenger was very sedated as that basket was blowing all over the place in the winds and rain.

As a result the medic was put up in the Deluxe Suite next to us for the next couple of days until we got to San Francisco.

We have also had helicopter lifts while cruising on Princess and NCL.

For local guests who are not flying into San Diego

To show our appreciation for delaying your arrival until Sunday, you will receive as a goodwill gesture a $150.00 per person Onboard Credit for the first and second guests in each stateroom, as well as a $75.00 credit for the third and fourth stateroom guests.

For guests who are flying into San Diego

If you are flying into San Diego and are able to change your flight to arrive on Sunday, we will reimburse for air change fees up to $100 per person. We will also provide a $150.00 per person Onboard Credit as a goodwill gesture.

If you cannot change your flights and are arriving on Saturday, we have arranged for a limited number of complimentary hotel rooms in San Diego as well as complimentary shuttle service to the pier on Sunday morning from the hotel. You will also receive a $75.00 per person Onboard Credit to help offset your shoreside meal expenses on Saturday and Sunday morning. If you will need hotel accommodations, please contact us as soon as possible at 1-800-577-1728 or 206-626-7395.

Please note that all Onboard Credits can be redeemed to cash at the end of the voyage if not used.

As an additional token of our apologies for this situation, each guest on this sailing will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 25% of the base cruise fare paid for the 7-day Mexican Riviera sailing that was originally scheduled to begin on November 5, 2011. Please see the attached Terms and Conditions for full details of our Future Cruise Credit program.

*we won't know which hotel we'll be at until we arrive in SD* I suspect they're a bit busy right now :).

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I have no idea the protocol involved and wouldn't even guess.[/B]

[B]All I can comment is my positive impression that everyone involved seems to be doing everything possible to get help for these guests who are so ill.[/B]

[B]Actually, a question I would have is if it is the Doctor who actually makes the decision for them to be evacuated if it is possible. Anyone know?[/B]

[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]On a couple of our cruises were there had to be air lift -- we were told that it was a combination of talks between the doctor, captain and shore medics.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='cccole']I am so glad that the ship was close enough to the Hawaiian Islands to get the 3 passengers to excellent medical care. I hope that they will all be o.k. Cherie[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]What a godsend that is. Hopefully they will all pull through. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='lorekauf']I SO agree. This, as well as a few other reasons, is why I wouldn't want to be on a cruise for so many sea days. If something serious happens it might not be a happy ending. Thanks to the OP and the posters that are on board.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Good point, lorekauf. I never thought of that before in regard to sea days.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]On a couple of our cruises were there had to be air lift -- we were told that it was a combination of talks between the doctor, captain and shore medics.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B]Thanks.[/B]
[B]Copper provided a full explanation at Post #21 and it was really helpful.[/B]

[quote name='Gunther1']I assume that everybody on the Nov 5 cruise got the same email. For those of us that are flying in, we are getting:

Personally, I think this is VERY generous.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That is very generous...over and above, I think.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Thanks for sharing that amazing video Copper...you're right, incredibly, they make it look like a "day at the beach".[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Reading this article something came to my mind. As most of you know I am a Physician Assistant and in the medical field but haven't really done any medical triage on a cruise ship. My question is to Copper10-8 or anyone else who has knowledge about medical treatment on board a crusie vessel.

On long voyages like the Trans-Atlantic and the trip from Hawii to the main land there are times when the ship is out of range from land based help. During this time does the ship have storage of blood for passengers who are actively bleeding. From prior experience I know that people who have internal bleeding or even GI bleeds can lose a lot of blood in a short period of time. I guess the ships have some blood but that can be over come pretty quickly. In times of crisis does the crew have the ability to ask the passengers if they are willing to donate blood. Also in ports you don't see the blood bank come on board with fresh blood. Blood goes bad over time.

It is just a question for thought.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]This sounds fair but -- I wonder - $75 onboard credit + $150 onboard credit -- and on our cruises we always get $300 shipboard credit from AMEX + $100 future shipboard credit + $100 Carnival. That comes out to be $725 -- doubt if we would ever use that up in 6 nights.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[quote name='Gunther1'][B][U][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]For local guests who are not flying into San Diego[/FONT][/COLOR][/U][/B]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]To show our appreciation for delaying your arrival until Sunday, you will receive as a goodwill gesture a $150.00 per person Onboard Credit for the first and second guests in each stateroom, as well as a $75.00 credit for the third and fourth stateroom guests.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[B][U][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]For guests who are flying into San Diego[/FONT][/COLOR][/U][/B]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]If you are flying into San Diego and are able to change your flight to arrive on Sunday, we will reimburse for air change fees up to $100 per person. We will also provide a $150.00 per person Onboard Credit as a goodwill gesture.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]If you cannot change your flights and are arriving on Saturday, we have arranged for a limited number of complimentary hotel rooms in San Diego as well as complimentary shuttle service to the pier on Sunday morning from the hotel. You will also receive a $75.00 per person Onboard Credit to help offset your shoreside meal expenses on Saturday and Sunday morning. If you will need hotel accommodations, please contact us as soon as possible at 1-800-577-1728 or 206-626-7395.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][B][u]Please note that all Onboard Credits can be redeemed to cash at the end of the voyage if not used.[/u][/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]As an additional token of our apologies for this situation, each guest on this sailing will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 25% of the base cruise fare paid for the 7-day Mexican Riviera sailing that was originally scheduled to begin on November 5, 2011. Please see the attached Terms and Conditions for full details of our Future Cruise Credit program.[/FONT][/COLOR]

*we won't know which hotel we'll be at until we arrive in SD* I suspect they're a bit busy right now :).[/quote]

[B]I have bolded and underlined to show any unused OBC will be given in cash.[/B]

[quote name='GPoll189']Reading this article something came to my mind. As most of you know I am a Physician Assistant and in the medical field but haven't really done any medical triage on a cruise ship. My question is to Copper10-8 or anyone else who has knowledge about medical treatment on board a crusie vessel.

On long voyages like the Trans-Atlantic and the trip from Hawii to the main land there are times when the ship is out of range from land based help. During this time does the ship have storage of blood for passengers who are actively bleeding. From prior experience I know that people who have internal bleeding or even GI bleeds can lose a lot of blood in a short period of time. I guess the ships have some blood but that can be over come pretty quickly. In times of crisis does the crew have the ability to ask the passengers if they are willing to donate blood. Also in ports you don't see the blood bank come on board with fresh blood. Blood goes bad over time.

It is just a question for thought.[/quote]

[B]I hope Copper, or someone in the know, can confirm but I have been told a cruise ship cannot and does not sail without a licensed MD aboard.[/B]

[B]HAL always has a guest MD and a crew MD, I believe. We don't know which MD was lifted with the 'swimmer' but if what I was told is accurate, there is another HAL provided MD aboard.[/B]

[B]I would wonder if they would substitute a guest MD, given verification of credentials, licensing and insurance and permit a guest who was willing to care for crew or guests needing care??[/B]
[B] My guess is No in anything other than the worst possible catastrophe.[/B]

My husband is a MD and I am an RN. We could provide good Samaritan care in most states (meaning without risk for being sued). However, there are too many hoops to jump through with state licenses/malpractice/DEA/credentialing committees etc to step in to be hired on the spot. Our licenses come state by state, so he can only prescribe medications etc in the states he is licensed in. I'm not sure how that works on a cruise ship/international waters, but I am guessing it is more (not less) complicated. Not to say we wouldn't let a hand if needed, but could not do anything "on the record".

Archived