New to Suites on HAL tipping Concierge question

llam

HI-we are new to Holland America, haveng sailed on Cunard and NCL. Question,and I am sorry in advance if this has been answered many times. Is is customary to tip the Concierge? Some cruise lines do not include them in the automatic tipping.

We normally give extra tips to those who go above and beyond and those who are not included in our auto-tip.

I'm confident that you will be pleased with the concierge services and will tip accordingly. If the concierge does not take care of your needs then do not feel obligated to tip.

Coming up on ten Hal cruises in a row and our Concierge experiences have always warranted extra compensation.

Tipping is a personal choice and in no way mandatory.

We always tip the concierges at the end of our cruises. We customarily tip the 'main' concierge more than his/her relief and the amount always varies depending upon how much we ask of them.

An envelope with a note of thanks works best for us.

We tip those at the end of the trip if they have provided more personalized services on multiple occasions. So if you have little interaction with the concierge, then no I don't think a tip is in order.

If you have asked for multiple personal services and got above and beyond attention to those requests, then a token of appreciation will probably feel just right.

Paying for a suite does include the routine Neptune services so that is part of our original price package. Nor would I ever feel it necessary to tip service by service - just something at the end of the trip. Being Neptune concierge is reward enough as often they are not doing much at all.

I am sure it is a coveted assignment to get. And mention by name in the passenger survey is also an extra way of "tipping too" to ensure they get to keep that desirable job.

We also tip the concierges. The amount depends on how long the cruise is -- how much they have done for us, etc.

Also we tend to tip the main concierge more as we see that one more than the other one.

If we are on a back-to-back cruise -- we always make certain that they will still be with us on the second cruise.

Actually, it's not unusual.

We have known Front Office Staff lady, Diana, for years and sailed with her many times on Maasdam as Concierge as well as at Front Office.

We are going to Nieuw Amsterdam soon and just learned she has been concierge there recently and maybe still is. :)

We've had the same concierge a number of times on Maasdam.

Had one on, I think it was Westerdam, we knew from another ship.

Same as most officers, staff, crew........ many move around ship to ship from time to time. We always love when we run into someone we know from another ship. Reunions like that are fun.

Actually, it's not unusual.

We have known Front Office Staff lady, Diana, for years and sailed with her many times on Maasdam as Concierge as well as at Front Office.

We are going to Nieuw Amsterdam soon and just learned she has been concierge there recently and maybe still is. :)

We've had the same concierge a number of times on Maasdam.

Had one on, I think it was Westerdam, we knew from another ship.

Same as most officers, staff, crew........ many move around ship to ship from time to time. We always love when we run into someone we know from another ship. Reunions like that are fun.

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam and Diana was one of the concierges....

Note that starting in Dc, suite passengers pay $0.50 more per person per day in auto tips for the service that comes with the extra amenities ... Including Neptune (not that i'm in anyway implying you can't tip more if you choose)

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam and Diana was one of the concierges....

Thanks for confirming.

I wish she'd still be there when we come but I think she'll have left for vacation.

We would have really liked seeing her again. It's been a while.

Thanks for confirming.

I wish she'd still be there when we come but I think she'll have left for vacation.

We would have really liked seeing her again. It's been a while.

I spoke with so many of the staff about when they get to go home that I may be mistaken, but I think Diana said she'd be around for a while....

Note that starting in Dc, suite passengers pay $0.50 more per person per day in auto tips for the service that comes with the extra amenities ... Including Neptune (not that i'm in anyway implying you can't tip more if you choose)

I thought we were going to pay $1 more per day per person -- that it went up from $11 to $12???

I read it is going to $11.50 pp per day in Suites and have no issue at all about that.

I would have no issue with $12 for all cabins. Those hard working crew members work their fingers to the bone for next to nothing.

I thought there was a thread on the new charge a few months ago.

I thought we were going to pay $1 more per day per person -- that it went up from $11 to $12???

You're correct....the new charge is $12.00 per day. The new rate starts on December 2nd. Guess when our cruise leaves Fort Lauderdale? Yup, December 2nd!:mad: Oh well, I planned on tipping our concierge extra on a daily basis, as well as our cabin steward (yes, I know we paid extra for our suite but we are looking forward to the pampering that should come with that suite :)).

Mary Ann

Archived