How Do You Stay Healthy?

sunpuppy

We're leaving for our 7 day cruise on December 17, and I have a tendency (even though I wash hands regularly and take vitamins) to bring home the most dreaded of souvenirs--a cold/flu. At least this time we are driving to the port and bypassing any airplane germs. :)

I am hoping to come home as healthy as I left this time so I can enjoy the rest of the holidays. I'm planning to stock up on the hand sanitizer and maybe get some Clorox wipes to wipe down the cabin.

Does anyone else have this problem or have suggestions on how to stay healthy on a cruise?

Hey Renee, it's Carrie!!!

Take lots of extra Zinc prior to the cruise.....start now! I buy those travel cans of Lysol and spray the cabin down like crazy. I'm a germaphobe so I don't touch handrails or anything. I know, I'm a bit extreme, but it does help.

I'll email you later. Have a great cruise!! So jealous!

If you're worried about the dreaded Norovirus, those alcohol gels don't work. You need a strong concentration of bleach to kill it and Clorox wipes aren't strong enough either.

Avoid the buffet where people are touching everything and tables don't get very clean either.

Avoid touching handrails and elevator buttons(so using the stairs is also good for exercise!),try not to touch your face in between washing your hands.

Trying to boost your immune system is a great idea-take daily Vitamin D3,lots of Vitamin C, B vitamins. I'm not sure if starting 7 days ahead is long enough but start anyway.

Try to avoid using the public restrooms-go to your cabin instead.

I did all of this on a recent cruise and did not get sick

I just worry about getting to the ship ;)

I'm with you. I sail in 5 days. Not playing any sports or working out. Just sitting at home overdosing on zinc, vitamin C, and multivitamins. I've had my share of going on cruises with a strained back or a cold.

-Rich

We're leaving for our 7 day cruise on December 17, and I have a tendency (even though I wash hands regularly and take vitamins) to bring home the most dreaded of souvenirs--a cold/flu. At least this time we are driving to the port and bypassing any airplane germs. :)

I am hoping to come home as healthy as I left this time so I can enjoy the rest of the holidays. I'm planning to stock up on the hand sanitizer and maybe get some Clorox wipes to wipe down the cabin.

Does anyone else have this problem or have suggestions on how to stay healthy on a cruise?

Wow, I thought my DH was the only one. He never gets sick at home but seems to get a cold/flu after every cruise. He was just getting over one after getting home from the Allure 11/13 and now we just got off the Monarch Friday 12/2 and he has another one.

I took Airborne every day while cruising and so far (knock wood) I have not caught it.

Don't alter your sleeping patterns or sacrafice your normal sleep. Many people weaken their resistance by changing their bodies patterns when on vacation and doing things they nromally would not. Try to eat some healthy foods or follow a diet similar to what you would do at home.

A little more info on zinc and Vitamin C, especially note the zinc lozenge comment below:

Recent clinical research has shown that administration of zinc lozenges can cut the time of a suffereing from a cold in half. Clinical research regarding echinacea, vitamin C or zinc supplements have not shown significant significance. The reaeson Zinc works as a lozenge is that it must be present in its raw form (as an ion) at the site of infection (throat/nasal passage). Zinc appears to interfere with rhinovirus fusion with cells, therefore zinc lessens the effectiveness of the rhinovirus to infect cells and replicate, making it easier for your immune system to clear the cold infection. Note that citric acid tends to remove these free zinc ions, therefore eating citrus fruit or other foods high in citirc acid can cause zinc lozenges to become ineffective.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_zinc_echinacea_or_vitamin_C_help_a_cold#ixzz1fgArB67w

My intestinal tract cannot handle large quantities of Vit C or echinacea, but the zinc lozenges work OK. Zicam is my favorite, but I can only take it for about 3 days. Anyone with an acid stomach has to be careful with these remedies, and not take them for too long.

We just came back from a 18 night cruise and there was only a few Norovirus on board, I must say everyone I saw on the cruise used the wipes and machines for cleaning their hands, and everyone without expection washed their hands after using the loo's, I for one did extra washing and made sure I did not touch to many things on the ship without washing my hands after, this in turn kept colds flu etc away from us, if someone coughs or blows their nose I make a quick exit to avoid any contamination......:D

I know I´m in the vast minority here, but I do nothing. No vitamins, no supplements, no flu shots, no sanitizers, no wipes, and people who know me will tell ya no healthy food like in fruits and veggies:o.

I do wash my hands of course, but other than that there´s nothing I do and I especially avoid and refuse to use the hand sanitizers onboard. If they force it on my hand I have a tissue ready to wipe it off immediately.

I´ve never been sick on a cruise or any other vacation and at home I might get a cold sometime during the course of a year, but nothing to keep me in bed.

I know how you're feeling. I'm a teacher (I teacher 500 different kids a week in my library), and I come home with every illness known to man from October until March. The game plan for the week before our upcoming cruise is this: I'm going to take 2 Emergen-C packets per day, I'm going to be consistent with vitamins, I'm only going to drink water and have tons of fruits and veggies next week... more than usual and I'm going to not eat as much meat as usual (hard for this born and bred Iowa gal).

For on the ship, I have those plastic foodservice gloves that I got from Costco. We're going to wear them in the buffet when we scoop food onto our plates so that we aren't touching the handles. I'm bringing wipes to scrub down tables. I'm bringing extra gloves and/or tissues to use when we open doors, touch elevators, etc...

Hubby caught the Norovirus on our last cruise, so I need to do everything possible to not let that happen again, lest he say that he won't cruise anymore!

and Clorox wipes aren't strong enough either.

That's why we switched to the Melaleuca Wipes and Clear Defense hand gel. Kills all the bug types.

Have to agree with the "sleep" suggestion. Travel is stressful and leading up to the cruise we try not to burn the candle at both ends getting ready. And when we can we try not to have early morning flight to port city. We haven't gone as far as masks on plane but are close. For the week prior to leaving we avoid public places and crowds.

I know I´m in the vast minority here, but I do nothing. No vitamins, no supplements, no flu shots, no sanitizers, no wipes, and people who know me will tell ya no healthy food like in fruits and veggies:o.

I do wash my hands of course, but other than that there´s nothing I do and I especially avoid and refuse to use the hand sanitizers onboard. If they force it on my hand I have a tissue ready to wipe it off immediately.

I´ve never been sick on a cruise or any other vacation and at home I might get a cold sometime during the course of a year, but nothing to keep me in bed.

No you are not the only one. I do nothing different on a cruise than I do at home. I have never been sick on a cruise or after I return.

I do get an occasional cold during the year but nothing really serious.

And, I do get a flu shot every year but not because I am cruising but because I am in a high risk group and the shot is nothing and I don't want to experience the flu.

I become a germophobe on board.

I never touch the handrail directly. I have pull my sleeve over my hand. If I can't do that then I sort of lean against the rail with my arm near the elbow since I know that my elbow isn't going anywhere near my mouth or any part of my face!

If I have to use a public washroom, I push the handicap access button with my elbow to enter and exit (or use paper towels to open the door by the handle) and when I'm in the elevator I push those buttons with my elbow too.

I wash my hands probably 30 times a day & use the sanitizer before the dining rooms. I (try to) get 7 hours of sleep each night with varying degrees of success and I also try to eat more fruits & veggies.

I can't take zinc, and echinacea has never helped me before so I just have to rely on common sense, good planning and a little luck. I might look a little funny with all my routines but after 9 cruises and not once feeling sick (besides a wicked hangover - my fault) I'm going with what works for me.

Bon voyage!

No you are not the only one. I do nothing different on a cruise than I do at home. I have never been sick on a cruise or after I return.

I do get an occasional cold during the year but nothing really serious.

And, I do get a flu shot every year but not because I am cruising but because I am in a high risk group and the shot is nothing and I don't want to experience the flu.

That is exactly my philosphy. Don't change a thing. Your body is used to what you normally throw at it and changing the patterns and habbits is only bad for it and will confuse it.

Zinc and Vitamin C work for us if we take them immediately at the first sign of a cold or scratchy throat - we like the ColdEze lozenges. Also, don't forget to stay hydrated - drink plenty of water in addition to your coffee, alcoholic beverages, etc. Every time I get sick or get a headache, I realize that I had been dehydrated. It's especially important if you're in warmer climates than you're used to. We also do the frequent hand washing and use the hand sanitizer - recently read an article that said, while it doesn't kill most viruses, it does create a "less hospitable environment" for them.

Most doctors, nurses and other health professionals will tell you that the best defense against colds, noro, whatever is to wash your hands well (sing happy birthday song through at least twice) with very warm water and soap and do it OFTEN not only after using the bathroom, but before and after eating, before retiring for the night and any other time you think of it. Also avoid touching your face with your hands.:)

I have had no luck staying healthy on my last two Ta cruises. The last one I started getting sick the last 2 days of the cruise and had to be hospitalizied for 16 days 2 days after I got back. I had some type of viral pneumonia. So $60,000 later in hospital bills, no insurance and too young for medicare, here I am. It has taken me 6 months to feel like I am a person again. There went my cruise budget.

Archived