Favorite Princess Cruise Director

Bowlersbus

Richard Joseph because he is creative, is a good manager, seems to be everywhere at once, and isn't a "one trick pony." IMHO, too many CD's are funny or sing beautifully, but that doesn't make them good CD's. Today, CD's are managers and need to be able to juggle multiple responsibilities, providing entertainment and activities to appeal to a wide range of passengers. A good CD listens to passenger suggestions and adjusts accordingly.

Richard Joseph because he is creative, is a good manager, seems to be everywhere at once, and isn't a "one trick pony." IMHO, too many CD's are funny or sing beautifully, but that doesn't make them good CD's. Today, CD's are managers and need to be able to juggle multiple responsibilities, providing entertainment and activities to appeal to a wide range of passengers. A good CD listens to passenger suggestions and adjusts accordingly.
I agree fully with your "lst of qualifications". I haven't yest sailed with Richard Joseph... my vote goes to Ron Goodman.

Shalom, Andy.

I think Sammi Baker is terrific and to answer the OP's question, yes she is a woman! We have been on a couple of longer voyages when she was the CD and she has been able to organize lots of interesting everyday occurrences. Once was when we were on the Regal Princess and we missed two ports and then went straight down to Antarctica. We ended up having over 11 sea days in a row and Sammi got to work and made sure there was lots to do for those who aren't keen on too many sea days.

I am hoping we are going to strike it lucky for the third time and have Sammi on the Ocean Princess in March. She is on there at the moment and hopefully her 3 months won't finish until we reach Singapore.

Jennie

Our vote also goes with Sammi. We got to spend some time with her on land in Lahaina and learned about her genuine care for each and all of the staff she has under her leadership. She is a dynamo, has an unbelievably varied career, and was a joy to be around.

Hi There

For me there is a list of things that make a good CD

first they have to be seen, they need to be out and about the ship, only by doing that do they know what passengers are doing, what event is full what is empty,

they then need to take time to chat to us, the passengers,

they then need to be willing to change to meet our needs,

they need to be willing to try new things some will work some will not but they should always try

its nice if they take part in CC meetings or other passenger event.

they should have a wide range of events on at any one time, us passengers are a mixed lot with a fast range of likes.

Just now Ron Goodman and Sam Hawker Thomas are the best I have come across.

yours Shogun

I have another vote for Sammi Baker as well as Lisa Ball who was on the Ruby for quite some time (not sure where she is now!). Both ladies were extremely personable, enthusiastic, interactive and many other qualities others have mentioned. I didn't realize how important a good CD can be until we got a "dud". He was so bad I can't even remember his name....in fact we went at least half way through the cruise without having remembered seeing him. His idea of the "Morning Show" was sitting there reading off a piece of paper in front of him - seriously? Oh well...it certainly didn't ruin our fun - after all....we're on a cruise!!!

I have only taken 4 Princess cruises so far, but Billy London (Emerald - Nov. 2011) was the best of those 4.

Very funny guy who did a great job with the Crew Talent Show. Laughed non-stop with his group's acts.

He also came to our M & G and talked about several subjects including the new Royal. Also, his second hand man did a very nice job with the Veteran’s Day Memorial Service.

Hi There

For me there is a list of things that make a good CD

first they have to be seen, they need to be out and about the ship, only by doing that do they know what passengers are doing, what event is full what is empty,

they then need to take time to chat to us, the passengers,

they then need to be willing to change to meet our needs,

they need to be willing to try new things some will work some will not but they should always try

its nice if they take part in CC meetings or other passenger event.

they should have a wide range of events on at any one time, us passengers are a mixed lot with a fast range of likes.

Just now Ron Goodman and Sam Hawker Thomas are the best I have come across.

yours Shogun

Shogun has covered the "why's" very well. My vote goes to David Cole.

MJ

The most memorable ones for us was Richard Joseph and one named Neil Chandler who was on the Emerald somewhere around four or five years ago...He had a great Morning show called Wakey Wakey...I don't think he is with Princess any more...also one of our all time favorites was on Royal Carribean (our only RC cruise) and her name was Becky Thomson...a simply delightful British lady.

Our favorite was David Cole, followed by Neil Chandler. Least favorite was Sam Hawker Thomas.

Neil had the best wake up show. I actually looked forward to turning it on in the morning. David Cole was all over the ship, participating in all sorts of activities. He was never too busy to take time to talk to passengers. We participated in lots of activities due to his energy. Sam Hawker Thomas just seemed tired the whole cruise. Maybe it was a bad week for her.

JJ King was our absolute favorite but he has retired. He was the nicest guy always out and about talking to folks, did a great job and as a value added trait, he sang beautifully.

We also like Richard Joseph because he does such a good job and he too is very much a hands-on CD and the same goes for Ron Goodman.

David Cole gets my vote also. On our Golden Princess to Hawaii cruise he was just outstanding - from the Wake Show to the "If I Were Not Upon The Sea" performance and everything in between!

David Cole gets my vote also. On our Golden Princess to Hawaii cruise he was just outstanding - from the Wake Show to the "If I Were Not Upon The Sea" performance and everything in between!

He gets our vote also, for his upfront personality and his behind the scenes organization of multiple interesting activities.

We couldn't get into the narrow area to dock at Kauai and within an hour he had a whole new Patter with all kinds of activities printed for our new, unexpected sea day.

This combination of enthusiasm and organization is unbeatable!

Archived