I am appalled

Merion_Mom

Sounds to me like most of you guys do not like kids to begin with and just think of them as a nuisance, so as a solution, don't go on Royal Caribbean ships that cater to FAMILIES. Remember that children under 18 means 17 and 11 month old too. Saying that a 17 year old has to be in by 10pm is ridiculous. They could be in college already! If your child is indeed a CHILD then yes, maybe a 10 pm curfew would be acceptable. But as HavingFun2010 said, older teens have many adult responsibilities at home, and those 18 and under still pay the EXACT same amount to cruise, so why, if they can be responsible, should they not be allowed the full time adults are allowed? If I am going to be imprisoned in my cabin after 1am, I want to be reimbursed for the time I am not allowed to enjoy my cruise vacation. I would also like to add: that by 1am, all the drunken adults are probably even more rowdy than the teenagers hanging out having fun.

Wow, rush to judgement much? I happen to love kids, in fact, I work with them for a living. 15 and 16 year olds are my specialty and I set their schedule. MY kids are in their rooms (dorm style) at 10:30, lights out at 11PM except Tuesday nights when they get movie night and lights out isn't until midnight. I love kids and want them to have a great time but as someone who has been working with kids year round for over 10 years I can tell you that a group of children out at 2AM with no adult supervision can lead to some bad things that the entire family regrets.

Want proof? My S was raped on a Carnival ship when she was 15 years old. And it wasn't even that late, 11ish? And she and her friend (who was also raped) were at one of those ship sponsored events. And her dad is a very vigilant person but thought "hey, we're on family friendly ship! Let's give her some slack and let her have fun!". She got pregnant and had an AIDS scare. TONS of fun, let me tell you!

Just returned for the Allure of the Sea and it is clearly stated in the daily paper that the curfew for children under the age of 18 is 1:00 a.m. There is plenty for them to do in the “Teen Club” and it’s reasonable for them to have some extra freedom. The ship did a great job of seeing that with 6000 people this was not abused.

As for the Quest it is also stated that this is an “adult only" entertainment, as is the comedy show. It’s simple to have people entering to scan there seapass cards and only over 18 allowed. Bottom line folks is, if parents can’t figure it out that the child doesn’t belong there, the ship should enforce the age limits.

As a grandparent taking her 9 & 14 year old grandchildren on vacation, I found that the freedom allowed the 14 year old made it a special time for him. I felt that he was well watched, and believe me, security knew who the children were, and who they belonged to, yet he was given a truly great vacation. I might add that I’m NOT an easy going, let the kids be kids grandmother, but it still fell with in what I thought was appropriate.

We sailed on Allure over Thanksgiving and they allowed a lot of teens in Quest. They could have easily made an annoucement asking them to leave or not even let them in.According to the Cruise Compass it states that Quest is Adult Entertainment. It did not say adults only like the comedy show and other venues.

I agree about having a reasonable curfew unless they are with their parents.

The Quest seems to be handled very differently from ship to ship.

On the Majesty last Christmas they were IDing people at the door to get in. We were in a large group of adults. There was one 17 year old WITH his parents and they would not let him in even though his parents told the staff they knew exactly what the Quest was and that they give him permission!!

The short cruises out of Florida have a lot of Latin passengers, both from Florida and other neighboring countries.

It is part of their culture, and perfectly acceptable, to stay out later.

Here in Madrid, Spain, where we live, a matinee of a movie is at 7 p.m. and the evening performances are at 10 p.m. and midnight.

It is very common to see school children on the subway in Madrid at 11:30 p.m. and even later. The department stores don't close here until 10:00 p.m.

Dinner is about 10:30 p.m.

RCCL caters to many cultures and not just to Main Street, U.S.A.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Here, in Argentina, it it exactly the same...

Even the late dining (8.30pm) on the ship is early for us.

As a parent who has cruised with teenagers, we set curfews for the kids. At the time, my 17yo chose to stay with us. My 15yo had a midnight curfew that we set. I have no idea if RCCL had one at the time or not. We felt that there was no place he could get lost in, no trouble to be had as long as he stayed in his teen group. We told him he couldn't be out unless he was with the teens. As with a lot of teens, that one child of mine is not big on following directions.

Now, we didn't stay up that late and often strangely did not hear him come in. We found out recently that he was near the bars and had an older lady buying him drinks on one night. My horror was not for my son, but what woman would buy 15yo cocktails? Did he know and understand what kind of trouble he could have been in? Get himself into a situation he shouldn't have on so many different levels. Of course he says he understands NOW - 8 years later.

I think the problem is that teens really don't have good judgment in a lot of cases, so things can happen that probably shouldn't. And I say this as someone who is still (barely!) in her 20s so I'm not that far removed from it, and I have a son of my own.

I'd support lowering the curfew age to 16 but nothing more than that. And really, my 16 year old does not need to be out until 2am. My husband and I consider ourselves night owls and we're usually in bed before 3am! Otherwise, you miss a bunch of the next day anyway! (to the person who wanted compensation for being confined to their cabin :rolleyes:)

Indeed.

The sad part is that it is the parents that will make the decision to allow their kids to roam about the ship and then ultimately blame/sue the cruiseline if the kids get into trouble or worse get attacked while they are out and about into the wee hours.

yes I heard 6trh floor starboard side on Jewel after about 10pm all the street hustlers n ladies of the night come out. Stay out of there if you're on it. Attacks happen all the time. :rolleyes:

Hey Will, it's not fair that you get lumped in but where do you draw the line. Cruiselines can't pick and choose. They make their rules based on past experience. Somewhere along the line some other kid or kids probably ruined it for you. By the way, I seriously doubt the majority here support a 10 pm curfew just like the majority don't hate kids and probably have some of their own.

And I also see Will's point. When I was his age it was not uncommon for me to be out intil 1-2 AM on summer nights. My father knew me well, trusted me, and I was not about to loose that trust. Most night I and a few friends were sitting on the beach talking and playing our guitars. Unfortunatey, that was not all that went on at the beach at night. Eventually, the cops got to know us and would leave us alone but until then they were skeptical because of the others who ruin it. On a cruise ship, there is hardly enough time to figure out who the good ones are from the trouble makers. And the trouble makers ruin it for all. Sorry Will.

Anyone remember the youtube video of the teens on deck at night with the girls taunting the boys to throw some sort of a metal pole over the side of the ship until they finally do it? There is the perfect example of why ships have curfews.

As a parent I have always decided what the curfew was for my children (teens at the time). Just because the curfew is 2am doesn't mean you have to let your kids stay out that late.

I totally agree with you. Our next cruise in 2013, we are bringing our teen children, they will be 13 and 16 then. There is no way they will be out until 2am. I will make sure they behave and if they don't, they know the consequences!;)

The short cruises out of Florida have a lot of Latin passengers, both from Florida and other neighboring countries.

It is part of their culture, and perfectly acceptable, to stay out later.

Here in Madrid, Spain, where we live, a matinee of a movie is at 7 p.m. and the evening performances are at 10 p.m. and midnight.

It is very common to see school children on the subway in Madrid at 11:30 p.m. and even later. The department stores don't close here until 10:00 p.m.

Dinner is about 10:30 p.m.

RCCL caters to many cultures and not just to Main Street, U.S.A.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Got a news flash for you. The ship is based in the US and I will bet you a weeks paycheck that the majority of passengers are from the US. The curfew is too late regardless of cultures. Also wanna bet that the majority of passengers on a US based Royal ship are US citizens? So yes they are catering to us.;););)

And I also see Will's point. When I was his age it was not uncommon for me to be out intil 1-2 AM on summer nights. My father knew me well, trusted me, and I was not about to loose that trust. Most night I and a few friends were sitting on the beach talking and playing our guitars. Unfortunatey, that was not all that went on at the beach at night. Eventually, the cops got to know us and would leave us alone but until then they were skeptical because of the others who ruin it. On a cruise ship, there is hardly enough time to figure out who the good ones are from the trouble makers. And the trouble makers ruin it for all. Sorry Will.

Anyone remember the youtube video of the teens on deck at night with the girls taunting the boys to throw some sort of a metal pole over the side of the ship until they finally do it? There is the perfect example of why ships have curfews.

I saw that video!!!!! Even I was appalled at that one!! :eek:

To those complaining about the curfew, let me ask this: why is it RCI's job to parent someone else's kids?

They set the ultimate curfew. They look at how late they want the oldest kids in the assigned age group out. In this case that is 17 year olds out no later than 2am. Nothing in this "policy" says they have to be out until 2am. Parents are more than welcome to place further restrictions.

I totally agree with you. Our next cruise in 2013, we are bringing our teen children, they will be 13 and 16 then. There is no way they will be out until 2am. I will make sure they behave and if they don't, they know the consequences!;)

I think this is the answer. We have sailed a number of times with our teens and always set their curfew ourselves depending on what is happening the next day (early/late port day, sea day, etc). Not simply rely on the ship curfew. The biggest thing that I have found in my parenting is to set the rules and the consequences and make sure the kids know both. Then when the rules aren't followed impose the consequences. Once or twice and they know to follow the rules!

My DD is a good kid, never had to use the consequences. My DS on the hand pushes every limit and we've had to use the consequences a few times. Now he grunts and complains, but follows the rules. And yes, we do check up on him while on the ship to make sure he is where he said he would be doing what he is supposed to be!

Really, I have no problem with the 2 am curfew (it was 1 am on our recent Jewel cruise). It is up to the parents what time their child has to be in. My 15 yo was allowed to stay with his friends until midnight, but he usually chose not to because there was a show he wanted to see with me, or he was just plain tired and wanted to go back to the cabin and watch a movie and enjoy room service. :) It's the parent's job to set a reasonable curfew, not the ship's.

Really, I have no problem with the 2 am curfew (it was 1 am on our recent Jewel cruise). It is up to the parents what time their child has to be in. My 15 yo was allowed to stay with his friends until midnight, but he usually chose not to because there was a show he wanted to see with me, or he was just plain tired and wanted to go back to the cabin and watch a movie and enjoy room service. :) It's the parent's job to set a reasonable curfew, not the ship's.

Exactly right and why there should be no curfew set by the ship.

Exactly right and why there should be no curfew set by the ship.

I think the ship should set the ultimate curfew for kids for one reason: a lot of parents are inept at parenting. As long as kids are running wild, the ship has to keep more crew up to monitor their behavior.

I think the ship should set the ultimate curfew for kids for one reason: a lot of parents are inept at parenting. As long as kids are running wild, the ship has to keep more crew up to monitor their behavior.

I agree with you about a lot of parents but using that logic I could say a lot of "adults" don't behave very well after nights of partying, and crew is needed to "watch out" for them so perhaps they should institute a curfew for everyone?

Archived