Rude Guests on the Eclipse

Chicago Boy

Rudeness seems to be just one more sympton of the "me me me" attitude that seems to darn prevalent. Just look here on CC and you will find folks who day its OK to ignore the suggested dress code (i.e. because I do not feel like dressing-up), talk about how to smuggle booze on a ship (because the rules do not apply to "me"), etc etc. Just try suggesting here on CC that folks should follow dress codes because its good manners and watch the reaction. If folks are so inconsiderate of their fellow passengers why would you expect them to show some consideration for the crew?

Hank

We just returned from the Dec. 3rd thru the 10th Southern Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse. The ship is beautiful, the crew delightful, courteous and pleasant. In that sense we could not have asked for anything more. We have done a number of cruises but this is the first time we have ever encountered a lot of rude guests especially in the MDR. The guests at the table next to ours were mean and rude to their waiter through out the cruise. He didn't deserve the abuse he took from these people. I have to say he handled it with grace and dignity. Congratulations to Celebrity for the way they have trained their people. :)

When I was in college, I worked as a desk clerk at a Holiday Inn. Most people were not rude and ugly, but there were always a few. We were trained to always be friendly and not lose our temper.

"The customer is always right" was the Holiday Inn motto. I frequently had people coming in demanding a first floor room by the pool. We only had four such room, but I always saved the one next to the ice machine for someone, usually from the Northeast, pounding their fist on the counter demanding such a room. Sometimes they would call back late and complain about the ice machine, and I would have to tell them that we were booked and remind them that they got the last room on the first floor by the pool.

Write a letter and/or call Celebrity while names and incidents are still fresh in your mind! It would be good for X to know how well their staff performed so that these people can get the extra credit they so richly deserve.

Great idea! It might combat any nasty comments they may have left.

I wonder if Celebrity can tell when someone is complaining legitimately, and when someone is just being a whiny brat on those cards?

We just returned from the Dec. 3rd thru the 10th Southern Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse. The ship is beautiful, the crew delightful, courteous and pleasant. In that sense we could not have asked for anything more. We have done a number of cruises but this is the first time we have ever encountered a lot of rude guests especially in the MDR. The guests at the table next to ours were mean and rude to their waiter through out the cruise. He didn't deserve the abuse he took from these people. I have to say he handled it with grace and dignity. Congratulations to Celebrity for the way they have trained their people. :)

I was on this cruise and I agree we are still talking about it actually! there was a seniors group from NYC area that were rude, screaming yelling at staff calling them by the country they staff might be from? Also demanding with awful tone and nasty words for everything! I have never experienced such rude behavior.

We are still in shock, i saw 2 seniors get into a fist fight, I saw scooters run into passengers in the Molecular bar and when they said slow down he told them " take a _____ hike" It was awful!

A lady wanted tuna in the buffet i got a maitre D for her, he offered to get her some she said she was going back to her room, he said he would deliver it! wow how nice!!! i then saw her go and sit down at a table with her friends? I approached her and explained that her behavior was awful and she needs to go to her room for the tuna, she told me to mind my own business and respect my elders!!! Umm ok

I saw a man yelling at guest services with swear words for a _____ kosher hot dog he demanded money for the ship getting into San Juan late due to bad weather, did he know we stayed an extra hour? Plus Princess did not even make in into San Juan from the weather.

I have more stories but Im still talking about it lol

We sailed on the Equinox (12/12 to 12/23). Rudness was the norm at the MDR and pool area and most of the paxs were from Europe (not Florida), mostly Germany and Switzerland in their 40s, 50s, early 60s. No children or teenagers either in these groups. We had to change tables at the MDR twice because of the loudness and lack of respect for others.

We felt sorry for the MDR staff. Those at the table next to us complaint EVERY night that the food was not good or cooked to their preference after they had eaten half of the food. Trust me: there was nothing wrong with the food. I can understand once or twice, but every night??!! The staff was very courteous and nicely would bring different items which of course once again they would only eat half of it because they had already eaten half of the other items...

This was a huge difference from our sailing last year on the Constellation (14 days cruise) where most of the passengers were retired Americans and Canadians. As someone else wrote this is the "ME ME ME generation"...

We have been cruising for many years and this last experience on the Equinox was not the best. I feel that quality suffered in regards to service, food quality, and passenger behavior. Maybe is the "large ship syndrome" where some may think that their behavior will go unnoticed among 3000-4000 passengers.

Looking into HAL and other lines with smaller ships even if the price is higher and I will have to reduce the frequency of cruising. Sorry Celebrity but I will stay away from your new ships.

My husband and I were on the Eclipse for the December 10 sailing. We were on the pool deck and a man came from upstairs who obviously wanted an ashtray. He picked one up, opened it, smacked it on a table and DUMPED THE CONTENTS ALL OVER THE TABLE!. We couldn't believe it. When one of the pool butlers came by we were so embarressed that he might think we did it. He said, no problem, this is nothing compared to somethings he has seen. What a shame.

Write a letter and/or call Celebrity while names and incidents are still fresh in your mind! It would be good for X to know how well their staff performed so that these people can get the extra credit they so richly deserve.

I always write to my buddy DJ Hanrahan after my cruises. He personally sorted out something for me and since then I have always dropped him a friendly note on my return.

I normally highlight the staff that put themselves out and really make me feel valued. I also note areas that are above expectation and I am also balanced with anything that may be under par, though I don' complain.

In my opinion the bosses should know exactly what the customer feels and experiences, nothing more. I don't expect anything more.

Incase you are wondering, yes I do get replies and I have even had senior execs call me from Miami (to UK) just to discuss certain points.

Coming from a service sector, i strongly believe that those who perform well should be recognized and even a well done or a TY form the top brass to a junior crew member makes them feel valued too.

I read about it from another OP.

They were from a retirement community in southern Florida.

It really give other Floridians a very bad name.

Most retirees in Florida spent most of their lives elsewhere (mainly the N.E.)...

Having said that, gems like these come from all four corners!!

Some real amazing tales on this thread. :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing!

Tom

We sailed on the Equinox (12/12 to 12/23). Rudness was the norm at the MDR and pool area and most of the paxs were from Europe (not Florida), mostly Germany and Switzerland in their 40s, 50s, early 60s. No children or teenagers either in these groups. We had to change tables at the MDR twice because of the loudness and lack of respect for others.

We felt sorry for the MDR staff. Those at the table next to us complaint EVERY night that the food was not good or cooked to their preference after they had eaten half of the food. Trust me: there was nothing wrong with the food. I can understand once or twice, but every night??!! The staff was very courteous and nicely would bring different items which of course once again they would only eat half of it because they had already eaten half of the other items...

This was a huge difference from our sailing last year on the Constellation (14 days cruise) where most of the passengers were retired Americans and Canadians. As someone else wrote this is the "ME ME ME generation"...

We have been cruising for many years and this last experience on the Equinox was not the best. I feel that quality suffered in regards to service, food quality, and passenger behavior. Maybe is the "large ship syndrome" where some may think that their behavior will go unnoticed among 3000-4000 passengers.

Looking into HAL and other lines with smaller ships even if the price is higher and I will have to reduce the frequency of cruising. Sorry Celebrity but I will stay away from your new ships.

It can happen on Any line regardless of Ship size etc, I know friends who did Vancouver to hawaii this fall on HAL and would never go back, but I said just try the same line and ship at a different time of year and Itinerary

This thread is hitting close to home. I am cruising on the Eclipse in February but have seen this rude behaviour on several cruise lines. The crew are what make your vacation so show some respect. Room stewards are not 'cabin boys' and hotel/dining room/bar/entertainment staff work their butts off to give you a wonderful vacation experience. Do not treat them poorly....if it weren't for them, you would be cleaning your own room, pouring your own drinks, getting your own meals and entertaining yourself......at home!

This thread is hitting close to home. I am cruising on the Eclipse in February but have seen this rude behaviour on several cruise lines. The crew are what make your vacation so show some respect. Room stewards are not 'cabin boys' and hotel/dining room/bar/entertainment staff work their butts off to give you a wonderful vacation experience. Do not treat them poorly....if it weren't for them, you would be cleaning your own room, pouring your own drinks, getting your own meals and entertaining yourself......at home!

KDCRUISER.....You hit the nail on the head. People need to stop for a moment and say two simple words to many of the staff...Everyday on the ship. "Thank You" goes a long long way and a smile goes a long way also . Most important ,passengers should remember how lucky and blessed they are to be able to be on such a wonderful vacation.

We were on your sailing, agree about the rudeness, but the behavior that appalled me was from my fellow Americans. I've elaborated some on my review, but didn't include this personal experience-

On the tender to Grand Cayman, I was on the lower deck with 5 other people in my row- I was the 6th. At the last minute seating was at a premium and pax were being guided to seats by the tender crew. An older "gentleman" was led to my row, but I had noticed the row behind me had only 5 in it, so I suggested to this man that he might want to move there because there was more room. Boy, you should have heard him cuss me out, and when I tried to explain that our row was full, he rudely said, "Zip it, broad". He did sit in that row, but I couldn't comprehend why the tirade- I pity his DW if his quick temper is typical behavior.

Absolutely no call for his tantrum IMHO.

Sadly, it's the complaining, negative pax that sully the cruise experience for the rest of us, to say nothing of how they affect the crew.

KDCRUISER.....You hit the nail on the head. People need to stop for a moment and say two simple words to many of the staff...Everyday on the ship. "Thank You" goes a long long way and a smile goes a long way also . Most important ,passengers should remember how lucky and blessed they are to be able to be on such a wonderful vacation.

Yes to both posts, we just returned from Century, a lovely cruise and wonderful staff.

The crew show on the final sea day was a humbling experience .. For 12 days these people had been at the beck and call of passengers, and now their true talents were revealed for all to see. They really were amazing, especially the singing. Fantastic, and the pax loved it.

.... An older "gentleman" was led to my row, but I had noticed the row behind me had only 5 in it, so I suggested to this man that he might want to move there because there was more room. Boy, you should have heard him cuss me out, and when I tried to explain that our row was full, he rudely said, "Zip it, broad". He did sit in that row, but I couldn't comprehend why the tirade- I pity his DW if his quick temper is typical behavior.

Absolutely no call for his tantrum IMHO.

Some people with Alzheimer's, who otherwise might have been even tempered people, can exhibit angry outbursts. For his sake, I hope this guy was just a jerk!

Tom

We all can relate some experiences with rude people. It's really THEIR problem, not ours.

What interests me here, is that there seems to have been a group of Seniors from a Senior Residence or Community of some sort. So many rude people from one place. I wonder why?

As an aside, it is also rude to mimic their Brooklyn accent. That was a bit malicious, don't you think?

Some people with Alzheimer's, who otherwise might have been even tempered people, can exhibit angry outbursts. For his sake, I hope this guy was just a jerk!

Tom

Thanks for this hypothesis- it rings true- especially since boarding a crowded tender is out of the routine and conceivably triggered his anger.

Lighten up Francis! :D

(just having a little fun with that quote... no harm intended)

Tom

We just came off of the Eclipse Jan 7/14 th. This was our 6th X cruise in the past 2 yrs and I will say that I have never been surrounded by so many rude, and cheap people on a cruise. The staff was treated like they were to be personal servants to some. Heard a lot of those accents.

Seems almost everyone had a liquor package, and boy did they tap their glasses on the bar when they wanted another. Do you think they left the bartender any extra for the great service. Not a chance.

We were sitting at the passport bar outside the MDR on deck 3 one night and this woman actually asked why we were giving the bartender an extra few dollars as we were leaving. She thought we were making the other pax look bad by doing it, and since the bartender already had the 15% added in the package she thought they had received enough. I had a pretty good snoot full that night, so I cannot repeat what I said to her.

I see you are on Eclipse on the 28th. Please go to the Sunset bar after 2PM and tell Donovan the bartender that Jim and Karen say hello. He is the best on the ship.

This whole thread is quite duplicitous.

actually we were on this Sailing and have sailed many many times. I love everyone from all over the world but this seniors group from the NYC area was out of control, I would say the same thing if they were from my home town it does not matter, It was awful

They made it known the Community they came from telling and yelling about the group details to everyone. It is what it is, We still had a great cruise, I was on conference this time so I was extremely busy

My husband and I were on the Eclipse for the December 10 sailing. We were on the pool deck and a man came from upstairs who obviously wanted an ashtray. He picked one up, opened it, smacked it on a table and DUMPED THE CONTENTS ALL OVER THE TABLE!. We couldn't believe it. When one of the pool butlers came by we were so embarressed that he might think we did it. He said, no problem, this is nothing compared to somethings he has seen. What a shame.

Just another reason why there should be no smoking onboard. Glad I didn't see that.

Archived