Considering Bermuda - still feel like a NEWBIE

wyomom2

Two cruises on HAL. Both fantastic. Still feel like a bit of a newbie. Considering Bermuda in 2012. Just found post about HAL no longer having a Bermuda option. I guess this is after 2012?? Would love advice on Bermuda and if you feel it is a worthwhile trip. It sounds a bit "different" in that you are kind of parked in one spot. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to all of you seasoned travelers. My family of 5 has been able to save alot of time and stress because of your kind advice. Thanks!

Two cruises on HAL. Both fantastic. Still feel like a bit of a newbie. Considering Bermuda in 2012. Just found post about HAL no longer having a Bermuda option. I guess this is after 2012?? Would love advice on Bermuda and if you feel it is a worthwhile trip. It sounds a bit "different" in that you are kind of parked in one spot. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to all of you seasoned travelers. My family of 5 has been able to save alot of time and stress because of your kind advice. Thanks!

Do it. We went on "X" and were very jealous of the HAL passengers who were "Parked" right in Hamilton. It's a great location and you can get anywhere on the island quickly from there using their excellent public transit system.

I agree with StartrainDD. My wife and I loved being able to walk right off the ship into Hamilton. The bus system is very easy to navigate. We went out to the Dockyards one day and I was very glad we didn't have to make that trip every day to get to the parts of Bermuda we really wanted to see.

My advice is Book It Dan-O. We cruised Bermuda last May and loved every second of it. Being parked in Hamilton was so wonderful.

My cousin is planning a family Bermuda cruise this July but on Celebrity. We are going but I will miss the convience of being in Hamilton plus HAL give you one extra day in Bermuda.

Check out my Bermuda blog.

Don't miss the chance to dock in Hamilton - go in 2012. The only bad part of our cruise this year was the ridiculously long tendering into St Georges on Tuesday, and that has been eliminated for 2012.

On our May 2011 cruise they canceled the tendering in St. George's due to rough seas. I was thrilled about going right into Hamilton and everyone was given a bus/ferry pass good for one entire day.

We arrived around 12ish and the sail into Bermuda was quite pretty - my advise is to have lunch and enjoy the view and avoid the rush to the be first few off.

This cruise will be a dream with your family. You can do a little something at your own pace in the morning, come back and have lunch, take a little rest etc and go back out. Transportation is easy to find and use. Get a two day bus pass etc. It is good for the ferry. If you like history, take a bus/or ferry up to St. George. It is so different from Hamilton. You can get some Bermuda rum right on Front street and it will be delivered to the ship and to your room by your steward on the last day. It comes in glass or plastic so it will transport in your suitcase.

This is a clean, picturesque island, easy to get around, great people and should be on everyone's "bucket list". A little expensive as most everything is shipped in from either US or England. Try some of the lunches that feature Bermuda chowder or local fish...very fresh!

We loved our Bermuda cruise. It was like a mixture of a cruise and staying at a resort. You had plenty of time to do as you wanted and Bermuda is very easy to navigate around. We used public transportation (bus or ferry) all the time. You can buy a ticket that will allow you unlimited travel. It is kind of expensive but worth it. Don't expect a lot of bargains on shore. By all means have a swizzle.

Check the weather before you go. Bermuda is about as warm as North Carolina , so if its chilly there , its chilly in Bermuda . Also when we went in May a few years ago it was rainy. Did I mention the 30 foot seas ? Yes , there can be some rough water between here and there , over 650 miles of open ocean .

We loved Bermuda , get a local tour in a mini van near the pier you'll learn all about the local culture . the people are wonderful . A lot of them have 3 jobs to pay their mortgages which are sky high. Great place to visit.

I was on the Celebrity Summit last June and we docked at Kings Wharf. While nice with shopping nearby, getting to/from Hamilton was a hassle; getting to/from the beaches an even bigger hassle. I'd never take a cruise that doesn't go to Hamilton again.

Don't miss the chance to dock in Hamilton - go in 2012.

That is exactly why we have a downpayment on a May cruise that we hadn't previously planned to do.

As this is the last season for that itinerary, it will be interesting to see if the price is not discounted very much throughout the summer because of a resulting higher demand.

I too am so glad that we'll get to take this trip next spring...it has been my dream for years to return to Bermuda on a ship that docks right on Front Street.

I wondered too about the pricing but have already seen two good drops in the fare for our May cruise. Those were both before the announcement about leaving Bermuda after 2012, so perhaps the price will move back up.

Archived