HAL--NEVER again Eurodam 12/17-24

bcruiser1

What cruise lines do you recommend ? ....

I would add .... what cruise lines would you recommend for the same price and same sized ship to provide more individualized service attentions? Even Crystal botches things up too, with less than half the passengers found on the Eurodam. What mainline cruise ship with over 2000 passengers for 7 day cruises gets it right every time. But then HAL does offer its "Signature of Excellence" marketing that implies its commitment to being known for "getting it right".

Thanks for your review - YOUR POOR SON - I agree - I thinnk security should have done more - not sure what - but the parents really should have been taken to task. Where did someone this age get his alcohol.

I have been on ships where youngsters tried and HAL absolutely refused to serve them. I wonder if the parents had some in their room?

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience on the Eurodam. Sure, ship happens now and then but it sounds like everything happened to you.

So sad. We've never had such an experience and hopefully never will.

some time, down the road - try the Prinsendam or one of HAL's smaller ships. Their service is absolutely wonderful (at least so far)

I have been on ships where youngsters tried and HAL absolutely refused to serve them. I wonder if the parents had some in their room?

The cruise was on the E-dam. The teen had full access to the mini-bar in his room. If he was hanging with other kids, they also had access to mini-bars in those rooms, too.

No need for HAL stewards to serve him.

Security should have confined the teen to his quarters. I saw that happen on a cruise; there was a security guard stationed outside the cabin so the teen could not leave.

The cruise was on the E-dam. The teen had full access to the mini-bar in his room. If he was hanging with other kids, they also had access to mini-bars in those rooms, too.

No need for HAL stewards to serve him.

Security should have confined the teen to his quarters. I saw that happen on a cruise; there was a security guard stationed outside the cabin so the teen could not leave.

I forgot about the mini bar. I would have thought that a responsible parent would have theirs emptied since it can't be locked:eek:

Agree the teen should have been confined with NO alcohol in the mini bar.

I forgot about the mini bar. I would have thought that a responsible parent would have theirs emptied since it can't be locked:eek:

According to OP, the parents said they would confine the teen to the cabin, and then didn't follow through.

That removes them from the "responsible parent" group.

According to OP, the parents said they would confine the teen to the cabin, and then didn't follow through.

That removes them from the "responsible parent" group.

And THAT is part of the problem IMO

Sounds like the writer of this review should attempt to get closure by writing a letter to HAL. I would clearly tell them that I was not looking for something for nothing but would request a written reply addressing my concerns. If the poster is on solid ground regarding the issues then the letter should be easy to write. I'd recommend complaining only about those issues that warrant complaining about and shelve some of the frivolous concerns.

Not sure what the job description or employment requirements are for the HAL "party planner" (and/or port "shopping expert" but on our last several cruises, this person in either role has been the weakest link in the hierarchy of HAL service people. Always cute and bubbly with a 24K personality, but woefully poor in actual competence, knowledge, attention to detail or follow-through.

Always wondered if this was a position reserved for some higher staff person's girlfriend. Whatever. But this sort of person should have darn well made sure the marriage renewal vow certificate signed by the captain had the names spelled exactly right. That was a paid package as I recall. No excuses on that one.

On our last voyage the snarky "chemistry" between the "party planner" and the chef during the cooking demonstrations left me feeling very uncomfortable. Again, was there something else going on behind the scenes between these two that was getting acted out in their repartee? Unprofessional.

Plus basically worthless cooking demonstrations with overly complicated preparations or ingredients. That activity feature was a waste of time and now unfortunately a wasted interior space for expensive improvements, unless they improve the people end of this feature as well.

So, how was the cruise on the Navigator of the Seas? Hopefully it was better and left you guys feeling more relaxed from all the issues from cruise 1?

Navigator of the Seas was okay. It wasn't as aggravating as the Eruodam. The food wasn't as good as the Eruodam, and the ship was much larger. There was a lot more to do, as far as ship activities--a larger ship gives one more alternatives. The balcony we had wasn't as big as HAL. The staff was nice, and our room steward was awesome. The entertainment was good. We enjoyed the ice-skating shows. My son made some friends, and our family who went on the Eruodam with us were also on the Navigator.

When HAL went away from their small to mid size ships to these large townships, the problems started with poorer service etc. This is not their comfort zone and the Eurodam was a major disaster from the beginning, starting with that stupid name...

7 day cruises on large ships is not the best fit for HAL. I hope they down-size rather than up-size in response to the competition.

I haven't been personally involved with assult on a ship before, but is it normal that the person stay in his cabin or be put off the ship? I am suprised it was considered a "kids need to work it out" sort of issue.

If my son was given a black eye, I would be very upset.

Is there some type of black list for cruise ships? Persons not allowed to board again? Or is it passage for anyone who can pay? I am also remembering HawaiiDans report of the thefts on his NA transatlantic.

I also like packages delivered in the way they are sold. Overselling and under delivering is a short term marketing plan that devalues business, any type of business.

Navigator of the Seas was okay. It wasn't as aggravating as the Eruodam. The food wasn't as good as the Eruodam, and the ship was much larger. There was a lot more to do, as far as ship activities--a larger ship gives one more alternatives. The balcony we had wasn't as big as HAL. The staff was nice, and our room steward was awesome. The entertainment was good. We enjoyed the ice-skating shows. My son made some friends, and our family who went on the Eruodam with us were also on the Navigator.

Glad that turned out better. Sorry the Eurodam cruise went the way it did. Some of the items are unforgivable, I am surprised they did not put the other teenage off at the next port, that would have cured that problem. We have never had a problem on HAL with disruptive kids but we have never done a holiday cruise either.

"Navigator of the Seas was okay. It wasn't as aggravating as the Eruodam. The food wasn't as good as the Eruodam, and the ship was much larger. There was a lot more to do, as far as ship activities--a larger ship gives one more alternatives. The balcony we had wasn't as big as HAL. The staff was nice, and our room steward was awesome. The entertainment was good. We enjoyed the ice-skating shows. My son made some friends, and our family who went on the Eruodam with us were also on the Navigator. "

Thanks for the report on Navigator . My experience with RCCL in the past was also that the food was not as good as Hal.

I think Navigator was a better fit for a family with a teenager . I love Hal , but I would be bored to death as a teenager on a Hal ship , unless I was one of those kids that doesn't mind being with their parents day and night .

[quote name='SwissMyst']7 day cruises on large ships is not the best fit for HAL. I hope they down-size rather than up-size in response to the competition.[/quote]

HAL should stay their own and don't follow the behemoths...

[quote name='Sir PMP']When HAL went away from their small to mid size ships to these large townships, the problems started with poorer service etc. This is not their comfort zone and the Eurodam was a major disaster from the beginning, starting with that stupid name...[/quote]

[B]I 'dunno' .......[/B]

[B]We never expected to like Eurodam and only booked her out of curiousity to see the newest (at the time) ship in the fleet. We were amazed to have liked her much more than we thought we would and have had five fun cruises on her. We'd definitely return for another.[/B]

[B]OP..... I am sorry your DH's name is misspelled. Seeing you wrote the names clearly, that should not have happened. I hope HAL gets it corrected but for a number of reasons I wouldn't count on it. [/B]

[B]Best Wishes.[/B]

I experienced a 13 day cruise on a larger cruise ship and the staff was brilliant. It is training, IMO, not the size of the ship that determines satisfactory customer experience.

Staff turns over with frequency, so reviews only count for a short time I think. There are many people who think their experience should carry on to the next cruise, and it isn't even the same staff.

[quote name='hulamoon'] ........
If my son was given a black eye, I would be very upset.
.....[/QUOTE]

Best wait until all sides get to tell their story. And then jump on the kid using violence, once it is satisfied it was not self-defense. Agree, when there is a reasonable case of proven liability, one should press charges. That is what personal liability insurance polices are for. Talk to your insurance agent to see if this is something they will handle for you.

[quote name='SwissMyst']Best wait until all sides get to tell their story. And then jump on the kid using violence, once it is satisfied it was not self-defense. Agree, when there is a reasonable case of proven liability, one should press charges. That is what personal liability insurance polices are for. Talk to your insurance agent to see if this is something they will handle for you.[/quote]

Just goes to show how out of touch I am.:D It would never occur to me to create a lawsuit over a black eye. Boy, did my folks miss out on some easy money!;)

We sailed on the Eurodam 12/24 - 12/31 and can only pass on kudos to all of the services. From the waiters in the MDR to the Lido, The Tamarind, which was excellent incidentally, The Pinnacle which IMHO is far superior to the much publicised Le Cirque, far better menu, to the cabin stewards and bar staff. We also extend our warmest thank you to the staff of Club HAL who diligently watched over and entertained our grandson and many others throughout the cruise, fantastic.

We have sailed on a number of different cruise lines and with HAL we expect and receive value for our money on any and all cruises. Yes, none are perfect but look at the big picture, with over 2000 guests you are not going to please everybody, granted some scenarios can be more of a strain and it is unfortunate if you happen to be the one in that category. At times we can over embelish on facts as would be the fraudulent slip concerning the Christmas Day which ship, but if one feels badly done to, then by all means make it known to the captain or A.N.Other.

It must be assumed that all went well on the second leg of the Festive Season cruises.:)

[quote name='Sir PMP']This is not their comfort zone and the Eurodam was a major disaster from the beginning, starting with that stupid name...[/quote]

Well, many of us have a different opinion of the Eurodam. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :D

Archived