OK Couples....Who does the most planning?

packedandready

For years, my wife wanted to go on a cruise, but I didn't. When I got a travel agent as a customer, they picked out my first cruise and since then I've done the rest and done everything for our other cruises. My wife shows up and enjoys.

I do the huge majority but DW has input. I usually pick the itinerary and make sure she agrees. After that I make all of the flight and hotel arrangements (we always go a day early). I'll pick two or three shore excursions at each port and see which one interests her.

I've been checking prices, planning excursions, arranging dining time, applying BoA points, etc, etc. We're driving to the port so don't have to worry about airfare, flights or hotel. All this got me to thinking ... who does your planning?

Of all the vacations we've taken in our 35 years of marriage I've (DW)planned about 99.999999999% of everything. DH is perfectly content to just show up. I usually run things by him, but his response is "you always do a good job and I enjoy whatever you plan so do what you want". I could never have that attitude. I want to know who, what, where and when. He just asked me yesterday "what days to I need to schedule off" for our April cruise. Most of the time he doesn't even ask about our excursions till the day we're in port:eek:.

So...who does your planning????

Exactly!!

DH does about 90%, I used to do it but he has turned into a closet travel agent, and spends more time on travel sites than any other site, so I have given up the reigns and let him have at it. He loves doing the pricing game, and working the logistics, so I can just sit back and listen, oh yeah and write the checks.

I will confess that I'm also a closet travel agent and I normally take care of 99% of planning and reservations so that my wife can have a carefree vacation experience. That's just how I roll. I love it too.

I definitely do the majority of the planning. I like that sort of thing- checking out possible holiday options, researching all aspects etc. My husband is always too busy with work to really get into it until just before we go. We went together yesterday to the travel agent to book our next cruise: Emerald Princess in April. The travel agent said ours was the easiest booking she's done in a long time as I knew exactly the things I wanted (cabin, dinner seating, flights etc) As we left the travel agents, hubby commented that I missed my calling!!

I definitely do the majority of the planning. I like that sort of thing- checking out possible holiday options, researching all aspects etc. My husband is always too busy with work to really get into it until just before we go. We went together yesterday to the travel agent to book our next cruise: Emerald Princess in April. The travel agent said ours was the easiest booking she's done in a long time as I knew exactly the things I wanted (cabin, dinner seating, flights etc) As we left the travel agents, hubby commented that I missed my calling!!

You can be your own TA!!!!!

I understand, it is the same way at our house. I know he always has fun. I guess he just trusts me and know I will take care of everything for us. :-)

I do it all. Dh ask where do you wanna go next. He agrees and I plan it. Present it to him. He checks off on it.

I certainly am! I plan about 99% of it. I ask my husband for input on what destinations he'd like to go to, excursions to try, type of ship. And I go from there. If I didn't plan it, we would go anywhere. Ben would just stay at home on the computer for a week! :D

I (DH) do all the planning. I run things by my wife but she basically tells me to let her know what days she needs to request off of work and when to start packing.

That pretty much sums up our situation.

Just made final payment tonight for Mariner. Yeah!!!!

I've been checking prices, planning excursions, arranging dining time, applying BoA points, etc, etc. We're driving to the port so don't have to worry about airfare, flights or hotel. All this got me to thinking ... who does your planning?

Of all the vacations we've taken in our 35 years of marriage I've (DW)planned about 99.999999999% of everything. DH is perfectly content to just show up. I usually run things by him, but his response is "you always do a good job and I enjoy whatever you plan so do what you want". I could never have that attitude. I want to know who, what, where and when. He just asked me yesterday "what days to I need to schedule off" for our April cruise. Most of the time he doesn't even ask about our excursions till the day we're in port:eek:.

So...who does your planning????

I (DW and DIL) do all the planning for all family vacations! planned Germany - Ireland - and now Allure.

yes - I am the one that schedules everything... try to run it by the other 3 - but get the same response "you always do a good job - as long as you know where and when - we will be there" LOL

I (DH) do all the trip planning, research and booking in our house. My wife is an event planner so she spends all her days planning trips for others. So while she plans for strangers, I plan for us. I plan all cruises, land trips, ski trips, etc.....she knows that I know what she likes and she has yet to be disappointed. OK, so I am a bit of an organizer, planner and maybe a control freak.....I have a spreadsheet done up for every trip with all details, booking numbers, prices, excursions, you name it......it is on my spreadsheet. And yes the 2012 one for the Oasis cruise is mostly complete and I already have a tentative itinerary for the 16 day trip we hope to do to France in 2013. And I have folders in place for future trips we want to do some time in the future (Alaska, Ireland, Australia, etc).

I do not mind doing the planning, I end up getting to do mostly things I want to do and I have fun throwing in a few surprises for the rest of the family....I have even been known to do fake spreadsheets as they know I have all the info listed there so as to surprise them with different hotels, etc (did this when we stayed onsite at Disney in California a few years back but none of them knew until we ended up in the lobby and I went to check in!).

I feel half the fun of each trip is learning as much as possible about each new place we are going to visit so we can mazimize our experience in each location.

I normally doing everything, except as it will be our 30th Wedding Anniversary and my husband did not want to go through a travel agent he said he would book it all. We are starting in New York, then an East Coast Tour, the Oasis Cruise, Vegas, a West Coast Tour and Hawaii on the way home to Australia. You guessed it though I still ended up doing all the research and bookings, but I have to admit I am a bit of a control freak anyway. (Virgo - can't help myself)

Hi Cruisinskier,

Just realised you are going to be on the same cruise as my husband and I.

Can't wait!!!

DH does about 90%, I used to do it but he has turned into a closet travel agent, and spends more time on travel sites than any other site, so I have given up the reigns and let him have at it. He loves doing the pricing game, and working the logistics, so I can just sit back and listen, oh yeah and write the checks.

Oh my goodness I could have written that word for word~ For over two decades I've been the spouse who plans and drags her husband all over the world. All he's ever needed to know is what days to take off from work. Then whammo! we go on our first cruise on the lovely Voyager and he's a changed man. There's nothing he doesn't know about cruising now!!! :D

That's funny that this came up this evening. I (a DW) have been emailing back and forth this evening with (the DH) of another couple, our cruise friends about booking our hotel in Sydney for our cruise coming up in April. We were discussing the pricing and pros & cons of location.

He is the planner in their family and I am the planner in ours. The 4 of us have had a wonderful time on previous trips together, and I think our respective spouses enjoy our pre-planning efforts. :D:):D

DH is perfectly content to just show up. I usually run things by him, but his response is "you always do a good job and I enjoy whatever you plan so do what you want".

Are you sure we aren't married to the same man? :D We're newlyweds - married only over a year but been together for 4. I do a lot of legwork when it comes to planning the trips but he does have some input like he would like to see xyz and I'll work in his requests. He's happy as long as I'm happy :) I always like to get a good deal, especially living here in Europe the euro puts our American dollar to shame, grrr.

Booked his first cruise last week, will be #3 for me. Really looking forward to this trip. And I am doing about 90% of the work putting this trip together - his 10% is checking the bank account to make sure I have money left to spend :D

Last year on Allure we had a great excursion in St. Thomas on the Bones pirate ship. I'd researched all the excursions, I checked many different CC threads about this pirate ship. Afterward as we were changing for dinner he says, "we're sure lucky those guys told us about the Bones excursion." :eek:

I just stared until he understood. We'd be stuck at the airport without tickets if he was in charge of this stuff.

Thanks for the giggle, that's hilarious! My hubby is known for that sort of thing from time to time. He usually says something along the line of "That's why I married you, you are always one step ahead of me."

I'm (DW) the planner. I run everything by DH for his input but I'm the one who does the research, books everything, budgets the money, checks for price drops, etc. I make him come over and look over my shoulder when I book excursions, etc. to make sure we're on the same page - we have similar interests so we've always enjoyed the same type of excursions, etc.

Archived