Le Cirque or Pinnacle?

Orangeguy

If you had to choose between doing the Le Cirque night or Pinnacle on a normal evening, which would you choose?

In case it matters, this would be on the Westerdam. Also, is there any pattern to which night HAL does Le Cirque?

We recently did both on the Maasdam (12/11). Pinnacle was superb. Le Cirque far less so. I would go with the Pinnacle, yet there still seems to be an inconsistency with all the specialty restaurants ships to ship, chef to chef.

I hope your ship's Pinnacle is as good as ours was on the Maasdam. I had the the coconut milk chicken soup, the lamb kabob and the creme brûlée trio. Very nicely done.

Pinnacle Grille. I've spent many a lovely early evening in one Pinnacle or another, enjoying the food and the company of friends.

The memories are all good.

Le Cirque menu holds no interest for me.

In the past year I have and Two Le Cirque nights and three Pinnacle Nights. Comparing the 5 the very best was in May on the Westerdam for the Le Cirque. The 2nd time we went to Le Cirque on the Oosterdam it was just ok but then the menu had changed ever so slightly. Pinnacles on HAL unfortunately are not nearly as consistent as the two Tamarinds. I would look at the menus and decided which sounds the best.

If you had to choose between doing the Le Cirque night or Pinnacle on a normal evening, which would you choose?

In case it matters, this would be on the Westerdam. Also, is there any pattern to which night HAL does Le Cirque?

I was fortunate in September to experience both Pinnacle Grill and Le Cirque and though the food for the first time in 5 cruises with HAL, was the most delectable I have ever had.

Overall though, since you ask which I would prefer to do, it would be hands down Le Cirque!!

Now, we have had Pinnacle Grill on Oosterdam x 2, Westerdam x2, Nieuw Amsterdam x1 having had a not up to my taste PG experience on NA, chose not to do the Le Cirque on NA, and Zuiderdam x1 each PG and Le Cirque (Le Cirque was not offered on either Oosterdam or Westerdam cruises).

The Le Cirque menu offered on Zuiderdam was a new menu that was so out of this world!! It was amazing and I would do it over and over again!!

Some of the responders to your question who say that Le Cirque was not good or up to their standards or.... are going by the old Le Cirque menu which I can honestly say was not that good:(

BUT, the most important thing to think of is WHAT do YOU want to do. Yes Le Cirque is $39.00 as opposed to the PG $25.00 for the dinner menu and WHAT are your preferences?

On our September cruise the Le Cirque was offered on the last formal night. I had the Chateaubriand and it was ASTOUNDINGLY delicious!!

Joanie

Here is Pinnacle menu that KK posted a while ago:

Pinnacle Menu - $25 per person -- can be booked online, via Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 or once on the ship

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV - beef broth with aged cognac & caramelized onions, baked with gruyere croutons

Spicy Chicken Coconut Soup - fragrant coconut milk & lemon grass

Lobster Bisque - crème fraiche & aged sherry

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail - brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad - sliced purple onion, balsamic vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing

Baby Arugula Salad - tossed with sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and a warm bacon dressing topped with smoked bacon & chopped egg

Caesar Salad - crisp romaine tossed with very own Caesar dressing, grated parmesan cheese, garlic croutons and anchovies, prepared tableside

Dungeness Crab Cakes - spiral shaved cucumber & sweet chili-mustard sauce

Pinnacle Ocean Platter - carpaccio of lightly smoked salmon, accompanied with hot smoked salmon, sea scallops and wasabi cream

The Grill:

Filet Mignon, New York Strip Steak, Bone-In Rib Eye Steak, Porterhouse - served with our own hand crafted sauces: sun-dried tomato; Master Chef's green peppercorn bearnaise; horseradish mustard; hollandaise; maitre d' garlic butter

Colorado Lamb Chops - spiced apple chutney & fresh mint jelly

Grilled Veal Chop - marinated overnight in a savory blend of rosemary, garlic & pepper vinegar with scallions

Chicken Breast - stuffed with spinach & garlic herb cheese & served with lemon garlic beurre blanc sauce

Filet Steak Diane - pan-seared medallions of beef tenderloins & enriched with mushrooms & cognac

Filet Mignon Burger - a half-pound of freshly ground beef, fin herbs & truffle-infused

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon - troll caught (for sustainability) in Alaskan waters, quick seared & broiled, served with your choice of lemon garlic herb splash or sesame-soy kalbi

Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail - on a bed of wilted spinach & arugula, mustard seed & "mangochurri" pesto sauce or melted butter

Cedar Planked Black Cod with Shrimp Scampi - roasted garlic & cilantro butter

Pinnacle Signature Skewers:

Beef Delight - beef tenderloin marinated with parsley, onion, thyme, rosemary & marjoram

Tantalizing Lamb - lamb loins marinated with herbs, garlic, cumin, honey, coriandor & red chilies, served with yogurt sauce

Chicken & Turkey Temptation - with onion confit & tomato coulis

Delectable Seafood - shrimps & swordfish, seasoned with lemon, paprika, garlic, mustard, cayenne & dill

Vegetarian Zen - array of mixed vegetables seasoned with herbs de provence

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach, Sautéed Button Mushrooms, Sautéed Onions, Asparagus, Scalloped, Whipped, Jumbo Baked or Shoestring Potatoes and/or Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska, Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake, Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding, Pinnacle Crème Brulee, Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries, Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

We've dined in the Pinnacle at least one night on most of our HAL cruises. Quality has been inconsistent but good enough to keep bring us back. We will soon experience Le Cirque for the first time (Volendam) and I will report back when we return.

New Le Cirque Menu: $39 per person

Appetizers:

Lobster Cocktail - poached lobster with haricot vert and citrus

Le Trio - caviar, smoked salmon and Pate foie gras

Caesar Salad - interpretation of the classical salad

Soup:

Butternut Squash with Huckleberries - with sage chantilly

Chilled Yogurt and Mellon - with shrimps

Main Courses:

Blackened Alaskan Cod - leek, red wine fondue

Rack of Lamb - goat cheese panisse, artichokes and arugula

Chateaubriand - horseradish flan, sweet and sour baby beets

Three Cheese Ravioli - fresh basil tomato

Chicken Under a Brick - sauteed vegetables ginger honey jus

Dessert:

Creme Brulee Le Cirque

Chocolate Souffle - traditional chocolate souffle with vanilla gelato

Napoleon with Fresh Berries

Assortment of Sorbets

Pinnacle! For one thing, it's cheaper! ;) (What do you mean by a "normal evening")?

To find out which night Le Cirque is on your cruise.

Click onto "Before You Go" and then click onto "My Account".

Then click onto "My Reservations".

There are two ways to get to dining reservations -- I like this one the best.

Click onto "Itinerary" and then click onto the box that shows the fork and knife. Click onto "Make Reservations" and both the Pinnacle and Le Cirque will show up. Click on Le Cirque and the date for your cruise will show.

We did both on the prinsendam and both were excellent.

If you have a short cruise, take a look at the menus that have been posted and decide based on your choices. Probably the best way to go.

Le Cirque for us was definitely worth the bit extra:)

We also have done both and enjoyed both but I would lean slightly toward Pinnacle. The Pinnacle has more variety which gives it a slight edge. The problem we have experienced is consistency (or lack there of). We have had so-so Pinnacles meals and great ones (the best so far was the Rotterdam).

for me it is definitely 'regular pinnacle' over le cirque. i have 'done' le cirque twice, on two different ships, and both times was underwhelmed. the pinnacle on my last cruise on the rotterdam was simply superb. absolutely the best filet mignon i've ever enjoyed. and the shrimp cocktails were worthy of being photographed -- not to mention eaten. lol

The mystery continues about Pinnacle inconsistency. Is it the chef on board at the time? Is it the ship? Is it something higher up the Hotel chain of command on any particular ship? Is it the particular mix of subordinate staff on each ship at any give time.

We know the menus are the same, assume the galley set up is similar and ingredients procured come under Seattle's direction. Therefore, why this consistent inconsistency reported? The same passenger can have entirely different experiences on different ships, so it is not just a matter of individual tastes.

Our own experience went from the sublime to the ridiculous on two different ships at two different times. I can now understand the rave reviews after our Maasdam Pinnacle experience but could not see what the fuss was about in any possible way from soup to nuts after our disastrous Zuiderdam experience.

Months apart, different ships - what was the operating difference that made execution of the exact same menus in virtually the exact same settings so vastly different?

$39 for cheese ravioli????

igraf

New Le Cirque Menu: $39 per person

Appetizers:

Lobster Cocktail - poached lobster with haricot vert and citrus

Le Trio - caviar, smoked salmon and Pate foie gras

Caesar Salad - interpretation of the classical salad

Soup:

Butternut Squash with Huckleberries - with sage chantilly

Chilled Yogurt and Mellon - with shrimps

Main Courses:

Blackened Alaskan Cod - leek, red wine fondue

Rack of Lamb - goat cheese panisse, artichokes and arugula

Chateaubriand - horseradish flan, sweet and sour baby beets

Three Cheese Ravioli - fresh basil tomato

Chicken Under a Brick - sauteed vegetables ginger honey jus

Dessert:

Creme Brulee Le Cirque

Chocolate Souffle - traditional chocolate souffle with vanilla gelato

Napoleon with Fresh Berries

Assortment of Sorbets

$39 for cheese ravioli????

igraf

While I would not pay that for any type of Ravioli, I can understand having it as an entree for the Vegetarians:)

Think about it, there are vegetarian options in all the dining venues, why not the PG and Le Cirque also??

Joanie

The mystery continues about Pinnacle inconsistency. Is it the chef on board at the time? Is it the ship? Is it something higher up the Hotel chain of command on any particular ship? Is it the particular mix of subordinate staff on each ship at any give time.

We know the menus are the same, assume the galley set up is similar and ingredients procured come under Seattle's direction. Therefore, why this consistent inconsistency reported? The same passenger can have entirely different experiences on different ships, so it is not just a matter of individual tastes.

Our own experience went from the sublime to the ridiculous on two different ships at two different times. I can now understand the rave reviews after our Maasdam Pinnacle experience but could not see what the fuss was about in any possible way from soup to nuts after our disastrous Zuiderdam experience.

Months apart, different ships - what was the operating difference that made execution of the exact same menus in virtually the exact same settings so vastly different?

I agree this is truly a mystery and should be one area of HAL should should be consistent. I chalk it up to a few things. One Pinnacle Manager and Head Chef and two, supplier of food provisions and those authorizing the money spent on provisions. Do I think that sometimes HAL might try to make the bottom line look better? :rolleyes: Of course they do. But this really should be one area that could easily be the same from Ship to Ship. I remember many years ago they made a big deal out of having European Servers for the Pinnacle and that it was a big deal if someone was promoted to Pinnacle. I am not so sure that is the same any more.

Of course we all know that HAL recently raised the price of the Pinnacle but they are still one of the cheapest Gourmet Steak Houses at Sea even Carnival is more money. :D Maybe if we paid them another $5.00 a head they would make sure that it was always the same great experience :confused:

While I would not pay that for any type of Ravioli, I can understand having it as an entree for the Vegetarians:)

Think about it, there are vegetarian options in all the dining venues, why not the PG and Le Cirque also??

Joanie

Right Joanie

They have to offer something for the vegetarians..

Archived