Struggling with hotels in Rome

lori450

I have narrowed our choices (but am open to something proven) to three hotels and I am at a loss as to which one to go with. If anyone has any information on or has stayed in any of these hotels, I would love your advice.

Albergo del Senato

Hotel Lunetta

These are both much more expensive than I usually pay, but it seems like I get to choose location, quality of hotel, or if I want both... a big price. I am also considering Hotel Fiume which is half the price of the above.

I would like to stay in the heart of things and feel comfortable in my room at the end of a long day of walking/touring. But, (there's always a "but" isn't there?). I could take the money from the expensive hotel and use it on expensive tours (or I could just spend more money). But I would really love the advice of someone who has seen or had experience with the above hotels (again, or others they loved). I checked out Hotel Smeraldo as someone mentioned, but the reviews were mixed.

We are there on June 23 - June 27th and do have time to finalize our plans. Thanks for any advice or info.

We stayed at the Albergo Del Senato. Was it cheap? No. Here's how I looked at it. I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale for around $130 a night. It's an okay hotel, but nothing spectacular. I've stayed in cheapy hotels while traveling I-5 that were less then perfect for over $100.

Now I'm looking at the Albergo Del Senato. It's in the heart of Rome, right beside the landmark Pantheon. Just say that out loud when you are telling people "ya.... I stayed right beside the Pantheon".... It is a small hotel but location is great. It included breakfast which was nice with our own cappucinos. The staff was great. The experience was wonderful. Imagine walking out of your hotel into a busy courtyard with the hustle and bustle and you look over and think, hey 2 minutes and I'm in bed. My 80 YO mother is picky .... really really picky. When she tells the story of us spending a few days in Italy before the cruise she gets quite insistent that for her, she didn't care what tour we were taking, she wanted her wonderful breakfast in the beautiful hotel first. She loved the marble, the curtains, the decor.

If I had to do it again - there is no question that is the hotel I'd pick even if I had to give up a meal or two to stay there. Oh, we had drinks in the hotel on the rooftop overlooking Rome. I had 2 triples, DH and mom had 2 doubles and the total bill came to around 25 Euros. The view was priceless.

We stayed at the Albergo Del Senato. Was it cheap? No. Here's how I looked at it. I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale for around $130 a night. It's an okay hotel, but nothing spectacular. I've stayed in cheapy hotels while traveling I-5 that were less then perfect for over $100.

Now I'm looking at the Albergo Del Senato. It's in the heart of Rome, right beside the landmark Pantheon. Just say that out loud when you are telling people "ya.... I stayed right beside the Pantheon".... It is a small hotel but location is great. It included breakfast which was nice with our own cappucinos. The staff was great. The experience was wonderful. Imagine walking out of your hotel into a busy courtyard with the hustle and bustle and you look over and think, hey 2 minutes and I'm in bed. My 80 YO mother is picky .... really really picky. When she tells the story of us spending a few days in Italy before the cruise she gets quite insistent that for her, she didn't care what tour we were taking, she wanted her wonderful breakfast in the beautiful hotel first. She loved the marble, the curtains, the decor.

If I had to do it again - there is no question that is the hotel I'd pick even if I had to give up a meal or two to stay there. Oh, we had drinks in the hotel on the rooftop overlooking Rome. I had 2 triples, DH and mom had 2 doubles and the total bill came to around 25 Euros. The view was priceless.

We stayed there in Sept and agree..it's a wonderful small hotel and the views are priceless.

Like many others who participate on this board, I've stayed at the del Senato and it is wonderful. I've also stayed nearby at the Cesari (web site here: http://www.albergocesari.it/italiano/hotel.htm) and it was also great, though a little less expensive as it is a block away from the Pantheon.

I went to visit friends staying at the Grand Hotel de la Minerve (http://www.grandhoteldelaminerve.com/) and it was beautiful, though I think they paid even more to stay there than I did at the del Senato.

There are many options in all price ranges, so many that it can feel overwhelming.

While many know I'm a huge fan of the Albergo del Senato, you have to weigh the cost against your own budget. I've done it both ways (stayed in more and less expensive hotels in Rome) and for me, I prefer to stay in this hotel and spend less $$$ on tours by DIY. But then, I enjoy DIY anyway, so for me it's no real sacrifice.

I've not heard of the other two hotels you mention.

As to the Hotel Smeraldo, be aware that any less expensive hotel is going to have a few tradeoffs -- you won't find the Four Seasons for the price of a Marriott Courtyard; at least not in central Rome. Also, you have to read reviews with a critical eye. A great many Americans on their first trip to Europe do not realize that (a) European hotel rooms in general are far smaller than what Americans are used to, and (b) "Old" does not necessarily indicate shabby or run-down.

I also have been struggling with hotels in Rome and we're not going until October. Everyone that has answered my thread has raved about the Hotel Del Senato, although more than what we initially wanted to pay. However, I may be caving in to making my reservation. Our travel agent has someone who works in her office who is familiar with Italy and suggested we stay somewhere out by the beach (in October) at this resort called Pane la Mare. I googled it and it didn't look too good or it didn't get good reviews. I thought, why stay there, when you can stay right in Rome. I would be interested to see where Lori ends up making her reservations. Thanks!

We too have stayed at the Del Senato. Fabulous. We loved the location and the hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great (they will cook eggs to your request) and the room was comfy and well appointed. We have also stayed at the Hotel Mozart near the Spanish steps which was nice too but the location was not as central.

Now, I notice you will be staying 4 nights...... have you considered an apartment in the same location ?

We recently rented one literally steps from the Del Senato and it was wonderful. We stayed 3 nights (many apts. have a 3 night minimum) and we SAVED a TON of money and still had a wonderful location and amenities galore. The kitchen was truly a plus since I enjoyed getting up in the morning and having coffee and danish or breakfast in my jammies - something you can't do in a hotel. We also picked up other items for late night snacks, made hot cocoa (it was Nov.) etc. The extra space was nice in between sightseeing for just relaxing while NOT in a bedroom environment.

Anyway, just thought I would toss that option into the mix.......

We will be staying at the Albergo Cesari for 2 nights pre-cruise in July. It is very reasonably priced and well located between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. I'm a little worried that it will be a little shabby for the price. But everything I've read indicates it's clean and has a good breakfast. I'd rather spend our money on seeing the sites and having a couple of great dinners in Rome. Having stayed near the Vatican when we were in Rome before, I will welcome a place closer to the historical center of Rome.

We too have stayed at the Del Senato. Fabulous. We loved the location and the hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great (they will cook eggs to your request) and the room was comfy and well appointed. We have also stayed at the Hotel Mozart near the Spanish steps which was nice too but the location was not as central.

Now, I notice you will be staying 4 nights...... have you considered an apartment in the same location ?

We recently rented one literally steps from the Del Senato and it was wonderful. We stayed 3 nights (many apts. have a 3 night minimum) and we SAVED a TON of money and still had a wonderful location and amenities galore. The kitchen was truly a plus since I enjoyed getting up in the morning and having coffee and danish or breakfast in my jammies - something you can't do in a hotel. We also picked up other items for late night snacks, made hot cocoa (it was Nov.) etc. The extra space was nice in between sightseeing for just relaxing while NOT in a bedroom environment.

Texan, any recommeded sites to look for apartments. We will be 5 days..

We also rented an apt in the Piazza Navona area--loved it! We used www.vrbo.com and the one we rented was # 194513 it is a 2 bedroom unit but there are one bedroom units available too.

We are looking at the hotel residenza farnese, which Seems to be well located, close to Piazza Navona, and within walking distance to Pantheon and many other sights.

For June, a three night stay will save us almost $450 over Albergo del Senato.

The reviews of Residenza Farenese seem very good and you might check it out.

After checking prices at the Albergo del Senato for mid-May @ ~ $379/night, I'll stick with Hotel Paba near the Colosseum, tyvm! :D We're not planning to spend a lot of time at the hotel.

I'm with you! We're staying at the Hotel Grifo, right near the Colosseum, good reviews on TA and one third the price. I am happy to compromise for the difference in price.

We also rented an apt in the Piazza Navona area--loved it! We used www.vrbo.com and the one we rented was # 194513 it is a 2 bedroom unit but there are one bedroom units available too.

We have also used this site for an apartment in Trastevere when we stayed for 2 weeks. Be aware that it is expected to send a deposit beforehand (typically one-third by PayPal) and the owners want cash for the rest the first day.

Our Trastevere apartment was next to the #8 tram line. About a 10 minute walk to the Pantheon and Piaza Navona.

Texan, any recommeded sites to look for apartments. We will be 5 days..

Gosh there are a bunch...... we have used vrbo.com as well as sleepinitaly.com and even cyberrentals.com

We have stayed in apts/condos in a few countries and so far (fingers crossed) we have been very happy.

It is different than a hotel tho. Most do not have maid service. Depending on how long you are there fresh linens may be provided. You usually have to put up a security deposit..... we have always gotten ours returned at check out (our landlord in Rome gave us the same cash back that we gave him on check-in) This is just in case of any damage. You don't have a front desk clerk or concierge - but that hasnt bothered us. We even ducked into the Albergo del Senato this past trip and asked a quick question. The lady at the sandwich shop across the street was also helpful when asked about "good" dinner spot :) Our landlord lived upstairs so he was there, we just tried not to bother him with those questions. Also he kept our luggage in his apt on our checkout since we had Scavi tour tickets for that morning before we left for the ship. The apt. was rented after us so he offered that for us. Worked great.

for some tho, it is out of their comfort zone somehow...... but it is worth it in savings and convenience for us.

FYI - also - many apartments say 1 week minimum or 3 day minimum. But if you find one you really like and are staying less nights than the minimum, shoot them an email and ask if they will take your reservation for less nights. We have found in most cases if they can - they will :D

Hope this helps. If I can help further - let me know.

We are just back from a 10 day trip to Rome (have been many times as well) and we tried Hotel Barocco at Piazza Barberini. At the time I booked, it was cheaper than Albergo del Senato. While I understand that Hotel Barocco does not have quite the same location, it was a very comfortable four star hotel with a fabulous breakfast, immculate condition, free wi-fi, etc.

Just throwing out another suggestion....

Christine

I also have been struggling with hotels in Rome and we're not going until October. Everyone that has answered my thread has raved about the Hotel Del Senato, although more than what we initially wanted to pay. However, I may be caving in to making my reservation. Our travel agent has someone who works in her office who is familiar with Italy and suggested we stay somewhere out by the beach (in October) at this resort called Pane la Mare. I googled it and it didn't look too good or it didn't get good reviews. I thought, why stay there, when you can stay right in Rome. I would be interested to see where Lori ends up making her reservations. Thanks!

a TA has someone in her office who is "familiar" with Italy:eek: Oh geez...run as fast as you can from that office and don't look back:eek:

We stayed in Rome in Nov at the Pantheon Inn. Booked it through Bookings.com. it was 140 euros for two people, one block away from the Pantheon, two blocks from the Bus that got you anywhere in town for 1 euro. It is up several flights of stairs, (they move your luggage for you) but the rooms were nice, breakfast was great and the people were fantastic. My thought was stay in the heart of town, pay a little more but don't waste time getting to the sites. Also there are hundreds of nice places to eat within blocks of this hotel.

We will be staying at the Albergo Cesari for 2 nights pre-cruise in July. It is very reasonably priced and well located between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. I'm a little worried that it will be a little shabby for the price. But everything I've read indicates it's clean and has a good breakfast. I'd rather spend our money on seeing the sites and having a couple of great dinners in Rome. Having stayed near the Vatican when we were in Rome before, I will welcome a place closer to the historical center of Rome.

I don't think you'll find it "shabby" at all. It's quite a nice little European-style hotel. The rooftop bar/breakfast area is especially nice.

Does anyone have any info on this hotel? I booked this one for us - don't ask my why. Hmmmm. I was so overwhelmed at the time and I guess it came up on my lists of hotels in Rome through some of the hotel.com sites. It sounded nice but I think it isn't the best for location. It seems to be more the northeast quadrant? :eek:

First, let me say, I'm sorry that I haven't been here. I didn't receive any notifications that anyone had answered the thread. But wow! Thanks everyone. I'm just going one post at a time.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you tell me the name of the rental and how much it might cost? Oops, sorry. I saw you already posted an answer. Thanks

Archived