Costa Concordia Unrecoverable

trintrav

Once the search for the missing concludes, I'd imagine the fuel will be removed. Thankfully, the fuel tanks have not been breached. The hull will be patched and dewatering begun. She will be refloated and refitted. There will be a ton of work to be done....almost the entire interior of the ship will have to be replaced due to the sea water. It will be a big job but can be accomplished. It all depends if refitting is economical.

Would you sail on a ship that had already sunk once?

To the question of "would you said on a ship that had already sunk?" My answer is, "Not me." But then, would you fly on an airline whose planes crashed because of "human error," such as by flight personnel or maintenance staff? Again, not me, but many do. Just make the price low enough, or maybe, change the name so the connection isn't obvious, and it's amazing how many people will throw caution to the winds to save a buck, or a pound or a euro, or whatever.

The insurance companies will probably pay off Costa, and then they will own the ship/wreck. Then the insurance companies will look for the best deal to recover something, either from wreckers/salvagers or from refurbishers. The final decision on whether it will ever sail again for some line may be some way down the road after all the calculations have been made.

ummm. yeah. that is probably the LEAST likely scenario. The insurance company business model is not to pay out claims if at all possible. they will say something like this was an intentional act, which was not covered. or, there is an exclusion for not staying on course or following laws/protocols. they will do everything in their power not to pay out on the ship or for the passengers claims. rest assured they will not be swooping in to save the day for Costa or anyone else. :rolleyes:

Costa and parent co. are about to have a large fight on their hands- stockholders, customers, passengers, crew, authorities and insurance carriers. But, if Costa was derelict in their safety, training and reprimand duties, then they deserve this to teach them that saving money in lieu of safety is not a good cost benefit analysis. i say this because it seems nearly impossible - if not entirely impossible- to get any corporation to take a moral high road on safety/best interest of the people issue. the only thing they seem to understand is loss on dollars - not loss of life. so, now they have it.

the only thing they seem to understand is loss on dollars - not loss of life. so, now they have it.

One thing I like to keep in mind is that reporters only include a fraction of what is told to them in the stories they write, and much of what they write is related to responses to questions that they ask.

I don't know that we can say that they only understand the loss in dollars and not the loss in life.

While it is true that a number of reports make specific mention of how much Costa and / or Carnival said they expect to lose as a result of this tragedy, what we don't know is if this fact was elicited by a reporter's question. We get the impression that the company marched out and started talking about how much money they were going to lose... but for all we know there was a 45 minute press conference about the rescue operations, and at the end some reporter shouted from the back of the room asking about the financial loss... and that made the headline.

I have no clue how things went down. I just don't think that we can know for sure where their heads are based on news pieces.

Carnival Corporation has made financial reports based off the loss of the Concordia, but in all of them there is a statement of sympathy from Micky Arison as well as them being up front in saying they have an obligation under the law to report these financials as soon as possible, which they do. They are a public corporation with shareholders.

Costa has held press conferences as well, and to my knowledge, they haven't covered financials at all, just what they know and about the rescue operation that's ongoing.

I am not sticking up for anyone here, but that's what I have saw thus far.

If it is true, visit Titan Salvage's website and the very first image you will see is them 'righting' an old capsized cruise ship in the Panama Canal. It has been done before. They have several techniques to right a ship in this state.

http://www.titansalvage.com/

I'd guess that ship is 10,000 tons.........and Concordia is 114,000 tons dry and twice that ......soaking wet. They would have to seal every hole in the hull (underwater), to be able to pump the water out.

The problem I see is that to right it vertical....they have to pull it up from the sea side.....which probably has a sea bottom sloping to deeper water. They may end up just pulling it into deeper water.

It will be interesting to see if they can do the balloon thing to try to float the ship

my comment was not in response to reports about financial loss at all. i do know they have this responsibility to report and that reporters ask. its just from my experience of how the beast known as a major, international corporation functions generally. it is made up of humans, but it is not human and does not respond to human emotion. its just a fact. it responds to loss and gain of revenue. i'm not judging, necessarily, its just how it functions.

Absolutely, corporations are not people, despite what the US Supreme Court thinks...

And, yes, JLC, I too am interested to see what they can do. I do wonder why they haven't tried to anchor the ship in some way to keep her from sliding further? If it's possible, that is.

Not so fast.

If it is determined that there was a criminal act by the officer(s) then the insurer can invoke the criminal act clause and refuse payment of all claims related to the incident.

Passengers with travel insurance will be able to submit a claim with them.

Passengers with decent homeowners cover might be able to file a claim against that, subject to deductible.

Of course all claims will be based on depreciated value, not replacement value, regardless. So if you had a mink coat and a suitcase full of designer duds that cost you $30K at a chi-chi boutique, you're probably looking at a check for maybe $6K--if you're lucky.

It seems that the accident was not a criminal act.......it was a careless act.

The criminal act the Captain might face was abandoning the ship while passengers / crew were still aboard.....after the incident.

http://translate.google.de/#de|en|Die%20Bergung%20des%20Wracks%20wird%20nach%20Einsch%C3%A4tzung%20von%20Hans%20Hopman%2C%20Professor%20f%C3%BCr%20Schiffsbau%20an%20der%20Technischen%20Universit%C3%A4t%20Delft%2C%20m%C3%B6glicherweise%20Monate%20dauern

http://nachrichten.t-online.de/costa-concordia-sieben-tote-und-29-vermisste-nach-kreuzfahrtunglueck/id_53226466/index

Here are also expectations that the ship could be recovered - the recovery should take months, according to the news...

Other news reported that the ship maybe has to be decomposed.

Carnival Corp. says that the ship will be out of service until Nov 30, 2012, or longer.

Also the Sapphire Princess burned down during her building period (ca. 40 ),and now she sails in perfect conditions... ;)

So don't be pessimistic.

Actually it was not the CURRENT Sapphire Princess. It was the Sapphire Princess (1). The fire broke out in the art gallery and spread throughout half the ship. To keep the Sapphire Princess on time they decided to use the other identical hull under construction at the same time. That other hull was to become the Diamond Princess. Therefore the Current Sapphire Princess was called the Diamond Princess and the current Diamond Princess was called the Sapphire Princess. So its actually the Diamond Princess that was on fire and is still sailing today and 99.999999999% of passengers don't even know that there was even a fire let alone that huge.

I'd guess that ship is 10,000 tons.........and Concordia is 114,000 tons dry and twice that ......soaking wet. They would have to seal every hole in the hull (underwater), to be able to pump the water out.

Actually the measurement of ships in tons is not actually in weight but in volume. So 114 000 is not actually the weight of the ship, it is actually much much much lighter. Therefore if the ship filled up with water it would still only be 114 000 tons. If the ship was full submerged it would then and only then way around 114 000 tons.

Actually it was not the CURRENT Sapphire Princess. It was the Sapphire Princess (1). The fire broke out in the art gallery and spread throughout half the ship. To keep the Sapphire Princess on time they decided to use the other identical hull under construction at the same time. That other hull was to become the Diamond Princess. Therefore the Current Sapphire Princess was called the Diamond Princess and the current Diamond Princess was called the Sapphire Princess. So its actually the Diamond Princess that was on fire and is still sailing today and 99.999999999% of passengers don't even know that there was even a fire let alone that huge.

I mean the actual Sapphire Princess, which was former named as Diamond Princess and than after her burning on the yard (Oct 2002) she was renamed in Sapphire Princess, and the delivery of the ship was later.

And just think of the Sapphire (built 1966), which was set to ground in March 1993 (as Ocean Princess) in Amazonas - at first the people thought of a total loss, but now she sails without any hints - so there are chances for Costa Concordia.

But now we have to pray that they find all people and that Concordia could be recovered.

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120116/italian-cruise-ship-rescue-day-three-120116.html

I mean the actual Sapphire Princess, which was former named as Diamond Princess and than after her burning on the yard (Oct 2002) she was renamed in Sapphire Princess, and the delivery of the ship was later.

But now we have to pray that they find all people and that Concordia could be recovered.

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120116/italian-cruise-ship-rescue-day-three-120116.html

Sorry but it was the current Diamond Princess that was on fire, but was called the Sapphire Princess back then. Until the fire it was the Diamond Princess. Only one hull caught on fire and that is of the current Diamond Princess

To the question of "would you said on a ship that had already sunk?" My answer is, "Not me." But then, would you fly on an airline whose planes crashed because of "human error," such as by flight personnel or maintenance staff? Again, not me, but many do. Just make the price low enough, or maybe, change the name so the connection isn't obvious, and it's amazing how many people will throw caution to the winds to save a buck, or a pound or a euro, or whatever.

I think there's a difference between sailing a specific ship and sailing a line just like there's a difference flying a specific plane versus an airline.

I would not cruise on that ship, even if she were repaired and re-flagged. Between the Christening bottle not breaking and this incident, that ship has bad Juju.

Purely speculation at this point.

Remember that of all of the Battleships that were sunk at Peark harbor, all but two returned to service. Marine salvors can do amazing things.

A replacement ship is in the $500 million range. You can do a lot of repairs to a waterlogged hull for less than that.

While I agree that marine salvage can do wonders, the battleships at Perl Harbor have no relationship to this salvage. It was the beginning of a major naval war in the Pacific and those ships were needed, dam the cost. The check book went out the window.

Very interesting - thanks! :):):):)

Does also have someone an information when the salvage operation could start?

Maybe there are also chances to repair the ship... ;)

Salvage has already started in that they are attempting to mitigate environmental damage.

Once they get done blowing holes into the side of it and recover any survivors or victims that can reasonably be located within the wreckage, they'll offload fuel and I imagine hydraulic fluid (which is more toxic and flammable than diesel fuel--really scary stuff). Then try to patch any holes they can, probably cut her in half down the center seam, and float her off to a shipyard for further inspection.

I'm guessing it will be a month before they determine if they can repair her or if she's headed to the scrap yard.

Costa should of had a repair crew there ASAP to patch up the hull,,,it is out of the water so some work could be done. Then pump out the flooded side. I am no ship yard worker but it seems to be a task that could be done. As each section is cleared of water its sealed and move to the next area. Also fuel should be pumped out ASAP,that would reduce weight and any polution problems. Its a nightmare but can be salvaged if done right.

Yes, but there seems to be considerable damage on the side underwater (based on the recent photos) so it doesn't seem as simple as patching the hole the rock made. I don't know, at first I thought they could same her but now I'm not so sure.

Costa should of had a repair crew there ASAP to patch up the hull,,,it is out of the water so some work could be done. Then pump out the flooded side. I am no ship yard worker but it seems to be a task that could be done. As each section is cleared of water its sealed and move to the next area. Also fuel should be pumped out ASAP,that would reduce weight and any polution problems. Its a nightmare but can be salvaged if done right.

Salvage companies were on site within roughly 12 hours to assess the situation. The priority is to get passengers off the ship...then pumping out fuel, etc can begin. I am sure that at this point, they already have equipment on it's way (or already there) to start removing the fuel as soon as they are permitted by the Italian Authorities.

Costa should of had a repair crew there ASAP to patch up the hull,,,it is out of the water so some work could be done. ..

The wreck is currently under control of the local authorities. As long as a rescue operation is in force nothing can be done to work on the ship. (Although with each passing hour it become less likely that anybody will be found alive.)

Archived