Has the prediction the world will end this year, affected your cruising decisions?

marypat01

Will the world end on 21DEC2012 - some think so, based on Mayan Calendar.  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will the world end on 21DEC2012 - some think so, based on Mayan Calendar.

• Yes, the prediction the world will end in December, affected my decision.
    • I do not believe the world will end on 21DEC2012
    • I have posted a BRIEF comment.

Travel as much as you can and simply pay for it with your credit card.

When world ends you will not have to pay your credit card off thus you are traveling free.:D

Now if it does not end you may be in for a bit of a financial problem.

Like those people who believed that radio minister who predicted it (twice) and nothing happened - some people sold their homes, etc. (and gave him the money). Haven't heard much about him lately - I think he's staying under the radar.

The coming of the end of the world has definitely affected my cruising plans. After I checked my calendar, I realized we would be docked in Hawaii on December 21. 2012.

So, after investing a great deal of time and money, I changed our booking so we’ll be docked near Chitzen-Itza when the world ends. It just seemed like the appropriate thing to do.

The Mayan calendar merely ends on that date because they stopped doing the math, much like mathematicians calculating pi. It doesn't mean that they thought the world would end on that date. My desk calendar only goes until December 31, 2012 but I don't think the world will end then.

Everyone knows the world will end when we're hit by a giant asteroid from space. Oh wait, that was a movie I saw.

If the Mayans were so smart, how come they didn't predict the end of their own civilization? Has to make you question how much reliance you would put on where their calendar ended. Obviously, they weren't printing calendars annually, or there never would have been one that ran until 2012 -- the printers would have gone broke.

So that leaves us with two numbers. Five billion years -- the expected remaining life of the sun, and about 800,000 years, when the moon is expected to get too close to the earth and explode, which should do a good job of wiping out a lot of life on this big blue ball.

Either one is too many generations away for me to worry about.

The coming of the end of the world has definitely affected my cruising plans. After I checked my calendar, I realized we would be docked in Hawaii on December 21. 2012.

So, after investing a great deal of time and money, I changed our booking so we’ll be docked near Chitzen-Itza when the world ends. It just seemed like the appropriate thing to do.

Love it!

If the Mayans were so smart, how come they didn't predict the end of their own civilization? Has to make you question how much reliance you would put on where their calendar ended. Obviously, they weren't printing calendars annually, or there never would have been one that ran until 2012 -- the printers would have gone broke.

So that leaves us with two numbers. Five billion years -- the expected remaining life of the sun, and about 800,000 years, when the moon is expected to get too close to the earth and explode, which should do a good job of wiping out a lot of life on this big blue ball.

Either one is too many generations away for me to worry about.

Without giving away too much of my lecture:

1. The Maya calendars (yes, they had more than one) were written in stone. They recycled them. The printers didn't go out of business because it took so long to carve the darn things and everyone want one for their refrigerator door and office desk.

2. The Maya didn't predict the end of the world. It's just all those other people who came later and said: "Gosh, these mesoamerican indians were so smart - why didn't they do another calendar? (see #1) Also, when you have a 5,000 year (plus) calendar, you really don't feel too rushed to create a new one (if you had to). Face it, when their civilization went caput they still had almost a 1,000 years left on the old one.

3. Oh, the Maya did not create the darn calendar anyway - they got it from "The Olmecs, the First Mesoamerican Super Power" (another topic of mine).

4. As to the Maya not predicting the end of their civilization - maybe they did, and just decided to give it all up. The Maya people still exist, just not the civilization we fantasize about.

I was told last year by a tour guide in Cozumel that there are still about 1 million Maya descendants living in Mexico. How do they feel about all this? Are they eating, drinking and being merry, or are they still making long-term plans?

Absolutely not.

I was just promoted to pilot on the Boeing 777 right before New Years 2000. And I had the privilege of flying from Copenhagen to Atlanta overnight. I can't tell you how many people were visibility freaking out that we were flying over the new year and seeing me... a very young looking 41 year old pilot of a plane that holds 300+ people.

As we get closer to the date 12/21/12, I wonder what kind of scams will come about, and how many people will be scammed? It wouldn't surprise me that, somewhere around Dec.1st, we'll start seeing stories on the news about how some dumb shmuck got scammed out of thousands of dollars because of some scheme related to the "Doomsday" date.

I wish I remember which site has that cartoon of the ancient Mayans -- one is holding his calendar and realizes he's run out of room for more years.

There's an episode of the animated show American Dad about that loony guy's prediction. Maybe I should plan to watch that on Dec. 21.:rolleyes:

Archived