Why *some* passengers complain about MDR - my theory

squidward

While on Solstice earlier this month, I took part in my favorite on-board activity: Walking around and around the 14th deck in an attempt to burn off at least some of the excess calories consumed throughout the cruise.

I usually walked late in the day, around 5:00 PM, and I couldn't help but notice how many people were enjoying the grill at that hour. I saw lots of people with plates full of hot dogs, cheeseburgers, and fries.

Nothing wrong with that. But it just made me wonder: How can people expect to enjoy dinner in the MDR when they have (in the words of my dear old mom) "ruined" their appetite?

Maybe, just maybe, people would like the food in the MDR more if they didn't ruin their appetite by indulging in such filling snacks shortly before dinner.

:)

I think it's more of a case for some people that they just don't like a slightly more upscale menu. I've known people that have come off cruises and complained there wasn't enough plain food and the one thing they missed was potato chips. I won't catch me having a hamburger or hotdog during the cruise, I'm too busy looking for the more complex dishes.;)

While on Solstice earlier this month, I took part in my favorite on-board activity: Walking around and around the 14th deck in an attempt to burn off at least some of the excess calories consumed throughout the cruise.

I usually walked late in the day, around 5:00 PM, and I couldn't help but notice how many people were enjoying the grill at that hour. I saw lots of people with plates full of hot dogs, cheeseburgers, and fries.

Nothing wrong with that. But it just made me wonder: How can people expect to enjoy dinner in the MDR when they have (in the words of my dear old mom) "ruined" their appetite?

Maybe, just maybe, people would like the food in the MDR more if they didn't ruin their appetite by indulging in such filling snacks shortly before dinner.

I can't comment, I enjoy my sushi appetizer too much.....

It could be a case of breakfast at 11:00, lunch at 5:00, and dinner at 9:00. It is vacation and I know we don’t like the dinning times in the MDR. It has nothing to do with the food. :)

As the character in one of my favorite movies said, "Some folks would complain if you hung them with a new rope!"

How would you know they're ruining their appetite? Maybe they're skipping the MDR that night and that is their dinner, or maybe they have late dining?

Yup, just read these boards more and more people are opting not to get dressed up and eating at the other options, one of which is the buffet.

I didn't ruin my appetite prior. The food in the MDR just wasn't up to standards. As the cruise went on the food got worse...IMO. I did not take to the gym or do any extra walking and I lost 3.5 pounds on the cruise. If the food isn't good I don't eat it.

I did have excellent food on my prior cruise. I was disappointing on this last cruise.

I think it's more of a case for some people that they just don't like a slightly more upscale menu. I've known people that have come off cruises and complained there wasn't enough plain food and the one thing they missed was potato chips. I won't catch me having a hamburger or hotdog during the cruise, I'm too busy looking for the more complex dishes.;)

I think that the opposite is true: as the price for cruising has decreased, so has the quality of the food. I remember our early days of cruising in the early 1970's when the food was fabulous! I think that the economy, mass production of cruise ships and possibly deflation in cruise pricing has definitely effected dining. What used to be a fine dining experience has become mediocore. The good news is that we can afford to go more often, the cabins re nicer and we are not as likely to gain weight as in the old days!

We found the food to be good but heavy in the meat and gravy , sauces. Not enough veggies. Just could not eat that way every night, coupled with the fact that we are on vacation and getting dressed up and being on a schedule just is not our idea of relaxing. Personal taste comes into the factor also. DH is a meat and potato man . There are many foods he will not eat. Way too many calories as well! We like early dining and cannot imagine all that heavy food in our stomachs at bed time!

I like your theory very much.

I like your theory very much.

That's been my theory too.

Go into a grocery store hungry....everything looks good. Go in not hungry...take it or leave it, mostly leave it.

Most people don't eat as much at home as they do on a cruise. My goodness, the food is dangled under your nose. Am I going to eat more regularly at breakfast? Yes, it's there (and part of the cruise price). At home my breakfast is coffee!! So now comes lunch, am I hungry? No. Can I eat? Yes. Then dinner, again, not hungry, but eat. By now I can't figure out what sounds the best, except from memory of certain foods. I have no hunger to satisfy because I'm not actually hungry.

In our last cruise, we started by eating a lot of breakfast, a decent amount of lunch, and was full by dinner. But by day 3 we wised up and had a smaller breakfast, very light lunch and saved room for dinner (especially during the nights we went to specialty restaurants).

By the end of the cruise, my lunch consisted of a tiny helping of salad, a dab of indian food and maybe a bite of another entree. I was just too full!!

I know that as the cruise progresses, I am less hungry. Snacking has everything to do with it for me! The icecream or concierge crackers and cheese or treats from Cafe Bacio are irresistible.

We eat a lot differently at home and snack much less at home.

Don't get me wrong, we enjoy the food. We have tried many of the meals in the MDR. A few dishes are over the top and a few are below par. We often order a bowl of steamed vegetables to go with our dinners. There are nights I order just a couple of appetizers and a salad. Luckily there are many options.

Interesting theory.

But as I think about this, here are a few issues. Food has been available on cruise ships for a long time. Yes, there may be more variety nowadays, but people have been able to eat to their heart's (dis)content all along. It's possible that more people are eating more throughout the day. The biggest complaints about the MDR food, however, seem to be coming from people who have been cruising for years and lament the decline in quality. If someone is inclined to have a burger and fries at 5pm, they may not be the same people who appreciate a two-hour, four-course meal at 8pm. (or maybe they do both... who are we to judge?)

While on a shore excursion a couple years back with people we had never met we realized that everyone has different expectations from their vacation. These people told us they never ate in the MDR because their ideal vacation was living in shorts and sandals for an entire week. They are happy to eat at the buffet or grill. That is the beauty of a cruise....you can make it what you want.

I think you have a point regarding the plain food. One of the reasons that I love the X MDR food is that it is not plain. The variety is great. There are options such as NY strip steak and Salmon available any evening. Not really plain, but not as different as other dishes.

My DW and I love lamb and X always has lamb more than once as an option. Also, I tend to eat healthy and find many of the choices are relatively healthy. I do not eat potato chips any more.

Generally, we eat the salad bar at lunch with perhaps a slice of pizza. Still, I gained about 4 lbs on our recent 15 day cruise on the Infinity even though I worked out at the fitness center on every sea day.

I think that the opposite is true: as the price for cruising has decreased, so has the quality of the food. I remember our early days of cruising in the early 1970's when the food was fabulous! I think that the economy, mass production of cruise ships and possibly deflation in cruise pricing has definitely effected dining. What used to be a fine dining experience has become mediocore. The good news is that we can afford to go more often, the cabins re nicer and we are not as likely to gain weight as in the old days!

I agree with this, although I wasn't cruising in the 70's :)

For me the food in the MDR is really just plain mediocre. I really can't blame the cruise line though, I live in T&L's 3rd ranked "Foodie City" and DH and I eat at very fancy upscale restaurants every single week. You really can't compare our $275 dinners for 2 with the MDR and expect a similar quality.

I do think the food was better onboard 4-5 years ago when we started cruising, so I can only dream of how good it was before that!

Hi All,

Interesting theory indeed.

But like the others, I too have discovered that cruising is ALL about choices... and there are 100s if not 1000s of ways that one can approach the day so that it fits with whatever one sees as their "ideal" vacation on a cruise ship. And food is just one of those categories where one can make countless numbers of choices.

In our case, we thought prior to the cruise, that we'd like to have a light breakfast in our cabin (say around 8 AM)... tea, coffee, juice, fruit... followed by a bigger breakfast an hour or two later. Skip lunch, or have it ashore, then finish off the day with Cocktails, a Late Dinner... maybe some Dancing, a Show at the Theatre, and a Nightcap.

In reality...

We did the small breakfast followed by a bigger one just the first two days (Sea Days)... and more often than not, found ourselves going ashore and coming back to the ship for a late afternoon bite (Lunch at 3 or 4 PM)... usually a Salad (we liked the assortment in the Buffet) or perhaps Soup & Salad or Crepe at the Bistro on Five (we loved that spot)... ending our afternoon sitting at the Oceanview Cafe Back-Deck overlooking whatever gorgeous island we were at... and hanging out there until Sailaway (don't think there is a better spot from which to see the sunset over an island as you leave)

Then back to the cabin shower and get dressed for the evening. The Concierge Class Hors d'Ouevres (tiny morsels) waiting for us... with maybe a glass of champagne (our in cabin wine of choice).

Then meet up with friends for a pre-dinner drink then off to the 7 PM show... and then dinner in the MDR. With a late seating that ALWAYS ran on to after 10 PM. Then maybe catch one of the Comedians in Celebrity Central... a Nightcap, maybe a little dancing and bed.

Sure we over-ate at the MDR... but because we had learned to "pace" ourselves (as we also did with our alcohol consumption thru-out the day and evening)... we were able to truly enjoy all that was on offer each evening at the MDR... and I cannot say we found the food to be a disappointment (and cannot understand those that say so, quite honestly, and we are what I'd say are true Wine Lovers & Foodies back home).

Sure the Specialty Restaurants were amazing... 5 Star by all accounts. (Meals that ashore we've had previously in Restaurants that would run us $ 150 to $ 300 with wine for 2)

BUT maybe because this was our first cruise we weren't disappointed with anything, because our expectations were different (more realistic?). The food in the MDR was just as good as many Restaurants we've ate at both at home and on our other vacations around North America... (say 3 or 4 Star Restaurants...) food that we are familiar with, and that we can afford when we are ashore and paying to eat out (say $ 80 to $ 150 for a night with Wine for 2).

Infact, I'd say that ALL THE FOOD on our cruise that we sampled was terrific. And Mr Sloop and I did try just about everything... eating in most venues at least once, and trying a wide variety of dishes... as well as attending the large majority of "specialty" food & wine events aboard as well.

Truly, not one disappointment... except for the fact that there were too many things scheduled for Day 6... Brunch - Tuscan Grille Lunch - Champagne Tea - Riedel Workshop - Champagne & Sparkling Wine Tasting - and of course the 2nd Formal Night in the MDR.

Soooo too much to choose from... in the end we split up, and I went to some, he to others, and we had to give a few a miss as well (neither of us getting to the Riedel Workshop). I mentioned on my Survey / Comment card... that Day 6 was OVER SCHEDULED for Wine & Food Lovers, while Day 7 had almost nothing (hopefully Celebrity will adjust this for future sailings)

Cheers!

"My goodness, the food is dangled under your nose"

One of my favorite cruise directors called dining the 'Eating Olympics'. After every event, she'd say and now it's time for the Eating Olympics. I usually do pretty good job on choosing small portions or eating only what I really love for the first few days and then it kind of all gets away from me. Ah well, we haven't cruised in a number of years so maybe we'll be less thrilled when we finally get to go but I'm sure I'll be able to find something to eat! :D

Hopefully not too much!:eek:

That's been my theory too.

Go into a grocery store hungry....everything looks good. Go in not hungry...take it or leave it, mostly leave it.

Most people don't eat as much at home as they do on a cruise. My goodness, the food is dangled under your nose. Am I going to eat more regularly at breakfast? Yes, it's there (and part of the cruise price). At home my breakfast is coffee!! So now comes lunch, am I hungry? No. Can I eat? Yes. Then dinner, again, not hungry, but eat. By now I can't figure out what sounds the best, except from memory of certain foods. I have no hunger to satisfy because I'm not actually hungry.

This is me :p

Whenever we travel, I remind DH my reason for travelling is to have new experiences, re-live some favorite ones, and relax in different locales.

My reason for travel is not for the abundance of food. I enjoy the pool, the sea, ship decor, and meeting new people.

In the MDR we find the food has slipped, the crew is stretched, and the process takes too long.

In the buffet, we turn away from a line and visit when the crowds are gone. Mealtime is not about stuffing ourselves, it's about eating something interesting and healthy so we can enjoy the total adventure.

In recent years, Celebrity MDR is not working for us.

Maris

Whenever we travel, I remind DH my reason for travelling is to have new experiences, re-live some favorite ones, and relax in different locales.

My reason for travel is not for the abundance of food. I enjoy the pool, the sea, ship decor, and meeting new people.

In the MDR we find the food has slipped, the crew is stretched, and the process takes too long.

In the buffet, we turn away from a line and visit when the crowds are gone. Mealtime is not about stuffing ourselves, it's about eating something interesting and healthy so we can enjoy the total adventure.

In recent years, Celebrity MDR is not working for us.

Maris

DH wants me to add: the Celebrity MDR experience is similar to eating in a cattle car. In recent years (S-Class and M-Class), it's too crowded and too noisey at dinnertime.

Maris

Sorry, but I remain of the opinion that overall the MDR food on Celebrity has slipped considerably since we sailed her in the early days. We still occasionally have wonderful meals, but overall I think there is a definite decline. I believe this is due to cheaper prices (which I appreciate) and an emphasis on high priced specialty restaurants instead (whose food I love and whose price I don't). Still love Celebrity, still eat too much, still think the food overall is good, but not what it used to be.

Archived