Arrest on Adventure this Morning?

MrZoey

Its possible, but their training is impressive. Among the many shows I've watched, (yes my only practical knowledge on this TV ;) ) Mythbusters did a special on this and they tried to trick the dogs as much as possible and one of the ways was to put cat smells on other bags as a distraction. Now I make several mistakes at work a week, so its possible a dog might make one as well, but the way they found things was amazing.

Well I thought so but that was the only possible explanation I could come up with. I don't do drugs and even if I did, I wouldn't be so stupid as to bring them onboard. If not the cat, I wonder what else he could've been sniffing. Or did the customs guy walking the dog around make a point of stopping kids because parents sometimes think the kids can get away with more or something? I never really thought about that again until this thread....

The saddest thing I have ever seen on a cruise was four college students standing at one end of the Guest Relations counter with their baggage nearby with several ship's Security Officers with them. One of the girls was talking on the phone.

I was told that they had been caught with drugs and were being put off the ship.

They were each being allowed to call their parents using the ship's phone.

Was it sad they got caught or got booted?

Dogs can be trained to sniff out just about anything.

Cadavers, bombs/explosives, drugs, food, etc.

Makes me wonder what happened to the couple sitting across from the hubby and I at Park Cafe just before disembarkation yesterday. They were trying to load up as much food as possible to take home with them. Like one last grab for all the food they could carry. Totally obnoxious amount of food stacked up on their table.......looked like a fruit basket centerpiece for cripes sakes. The lady shoving it all in her bags...Seeing this kind of behavior really makes me shake my head :confused:

Such a waste to have someone take all that fruit that will have to get surrendered anyway. There should be a sign posted or something that says, "Hey idiot...don't load up on all the food....you can't take it with you!!!!"

That would explain why they were using a basset hound! I took note of that dog and thought that was a different choice to use. I have seen other sporting dogs, but the bassett did catch my attention.

Dogs have tremendous noses and can be trained to smell just about anything. A Bassett however, just did not appear on my radar screen until then.

When we got off at 9:00 it was a yellow lab. Didn't see a basset hound.

Back in my miltary days I was able to watch the training of the bomb/drug dogs and to say the least it was very impressive. The type of dog did not relate directly to the type, bomb or drug, but the smaller dogs tended to be used more in the area of bomb detection because they could get into smaller areas. Seeing the dogs sniff was one thing but watching them "alert" was very impressive.

What about cats?? My cats know when we pull the boat up near our dock at home, if we we scored fish or not.

Got fish? Oh yeah...they are there to welcome us at the screen door...no fish? Nah..we will go back to our nap.

Now that is some powerful sniffers from 30 yards away! :D

Drug sniffing cats...yup...DEA is missing out. ;)

Was it sad they got caught or got booted?

The girl on the phone was in tears as was the other girl. The guys were being "cool" about it.

This happened when they boarded the ship from one of the islands so I don't think any charges would have been filed against them.

It was "sad" to see four college kids screwing up their lives.

They were lucky they weren't arrested and only had to deal with their parents. I hope they learned their lesson.

Kudos to RCI for catching them and throwing them off the ship.

What about cats?? My cats know when we pull the boat up near our dock at home, if we we scored fish or not.

Got fish? Oh yeah...they are there to welcome us at the screen door...no fish? Nah..we will go back to our nap.

My cats ALWAYS know when I've bought them soft food. I'm not in the front door for two minutes when they both show up, loudly "cute" meowing and looking as cute as they can.

Ya but...they could only be trained to find stuff they'd want...so no drugs just contraband tuna, or cheese!

My yellow Lab can smell food before we think of buying it--really their nose is unbelievable-that is why she is such a good hunter-doesn't need to see a downed duck-she can smell it even under the water!

LOL! This is hysterical, but so true!

The saddest thing I have ever seen on a cruise was four college students standing at one end of the Guest Relations counter with their baggage nearby with several ship's Security Officers with them. One of the girls was talking on the phone.

I was told that they had been caught with drugs and were being put off the ship.

They were each being allowed to call their parents using the ship's phone.

Why is that sad ? They were lucky they were just being put off the ship instead of arrested. Sounds more stupid to me !

We have agricultural product trained dogs at work. They are amazingly accurate about finding things, even wood in parcels.

One of our previous dogs, "Kirby" had an inordinate fondness for chocolate though. He wasn't allowed to eat it of course, but he frequently hit on boxes that had See's Candy in them....chocolates with fruit and nut fillings.

Close....but not exactly an agricultural threat. :D:):D

when we walked down the hall of deck 9 they were spraying down the furniture

on one of the cabins, looked like they were freezing woth the spray.

Did they have a wand, that looked like it sprayed snow? If so, then yes that is for bedbugs. It uses CO2 and freezes them. It works apparently in light infestations, but not if they are bunched up or clustered in stacks.

The girl on the phone was in tears as was the other girl. The guys were being "cool" about it.

This happened when they boarded the ship from one of the islands so I don't think any charges would have been filed against them.

It was "sad" to see four college kids screwing up their lives.

They were lucky they weren't arrested and only had to deal with their parents. I hope they learned their lesson.

Kudos to RCI for catching them and throwing them off the ship.

Totally agree!

We had a funny dog sniffing experience too... We were in Johannesburg OR Tambo airport during the World Cup, and my teen girls had loaded up on snacks in their bags for the 16 hour flight home. Security was obviously very tight, and a little drug sniffing beagle stopped at their bags and sniffed, he kept on sniffing and sniffing, and I started to panic:eek:

Then the officer handling the little dog laughed, tugged his leash and said " you must have food in there"! I guess he has a different "tell" for contraband, (thank God!) but he was just like all the beagles I've known and couldn't really resist food!;)

Our kids were backpacking in Europe and the same thing happened--the dog just keyed onto our daughter's pack. She voluntarily assured the handler that she didn't have any contraband. The lady laughed and said she must have good Swiss chocolate in there (she did) bc the dog has another indicating behavior for drugs, etc. Relief.

Archived