Do you miss the excitement of being new to cruising?

Daghis

We are going on our 12th cruise in June. I can honestly say that the excitement when we cross into the ship from the gangplank is still as exciting as the first cruise. In part, I think the excitement is still there because we now KNOW that it will be great and the first cruise we HOPED it would be great. Even if we are going to ports we've been before, we are excited to get to re-visit a favorite place again. The day it's no longer exciting, we'll pick another type of vacation. We've agreed to go on other land-based vacations in past years, and we always found ourselves saying, we wished we had taken a cruise. We still love it as much as the first time. There's nothing I would trade for another first-time experience.

We'll be going on our 5th next year and I think I get more excited now than I did on our first. Each cruise has been different - different ships, different cruise lines, different islands. It was right before our 3rd cruise that I discovered Cruise Critic and the Roll Call boards so I was super excited to meet all the people I'd been talking too for months. Last cruise was with our 2 boys - their first and it was so exciting watching them and doing excursions with them that DH and I might not have done on our own. Next year - Alaska! The boys and my mother will be joining us and I just can't wait to see the beauty and grandeur of our 49th state - plus I get my DH for 2 consecutive weeks on vacation; something he's never done in our 27 years of marriage!

While I get excited when a friend is going on their first cruise and comes to me for advice and have to say that no, I don't wish it was my first cruise again. I like being an experienced cruiser and know what to do, what to expect, where to go on the ship, etc.

My first cruise was amazing, and I was totally hooked right from the start. I've been fortunate that, of my three following cruises, two of them were in the company of people who had never cruised before. Ditto for my cruise coming up in April. (It also helps that this one coming up is on [for me] a new line, a new ship, and going to places I've never been before.)

A first cruise is like a first love: you'll never forget her; she'll always hold a special place in your heart. But with four cruises under my belt and a fifth coming up, I am as excited as ever.

Maybe because some people sail on the same ship more than once, the "Wow!" factor is gone. We've yet to sail on the same ship twice. Our eighth cruise is coming up (94 days! yay!), and I know as soon as I step on board, I'll want to run all over the ship like a kid in a toy store.:) So if you happen to be on board the Liberty (on May 5th) and see a guy with a pina colada in his hand, a big goofy grin on his face, and acting like he just won the lottery, that'll be me!:D:D:D

I was more apprehensive, but excited nontheless, on my first cruise. Now I find the experience is like being new only knowing what I'm doing. :) I can't imagine what I'll be like if I am successful in getting on a world cruise.:p

Maybe because some people sail on the same ship more than once, the "Wow!" factor is gone.

That was definitely the case in one of my least-"Wow!" cruises. We sailed on the Carnival Elation one year, and then sailed on her the following year. I was a bit disappointed that everything was exactly the same. There was nothing new for the second cruise.

Since then, we've made sure to book cruises on different ships and tried to vary the itineraries a bit, although we're getting a lot of time doing Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries, but those feel more familiar than tiresome, and I still look forward to future cruises to these islands.

Even though we've chosen different Royal Caribbean ships recently, I do look forward to some of the common features they've had, most notably including the Royal Promenade which I love.

We are going on our 12th cruise in June. I can honestly say that the excitement when we cross into the ship from the gangplank is still as exciting as the first cruise. In part, I think the excitement is still there because we now KNOW that it will be great and the first cruise we HOPED it would be great. Even if we are going to ports we've been before, we are excited to get to re-visit a favorite place again. The day it's no longer exciting, we'll pick another type of vacation. We've agreed to go on other land-based vacations in past years, and we always found ourselves saying, we wished we had taken a cruise. We still love it as much as the first time. There's nothing I would trade for another first-time experience.

Excellent post!!! My thoughts EXACTLY!!!! We cruise #13 in May and cannot wait!!!

My first cruise wasn't that great :( Carnival Jubilee in an inside Deck 2 cabin -furthest aft you could get. It was a horrible cabin, plus boring tablemates, and mediocre excursions. The whole cruise experience just wasn't very good. Scary thing is that my former friend and I each paid over $700 for that inside cabin to the Mexican Riviera in 1997 :eek:

It took me another seven years before I went on another cruise and that's the one that hooked me on cruising. Now I think I get more excited with each cruise and going on a different ship each time has added to the excitement. I wouldn't go back to the first time for anything.

Every cruise I take is like being new to cruising. The only difference is I have more knowledge when booking and choosing cabins, itineraries, etc., and I don't try to do everything onboard and off the ship like I'm never going to cruise again, but actually enjoy myself and take it easy (whatever that is). lol

We have been cruising since 1975 and have spent more then 2 years on 60+ different ships of 11 cruise lines. During all those years and cruises we have seldom been bored and still get excited when we first see our ship in the port. We keep it fresh and new by cruising with many different lines to 6 continents (we have not been to Antarctica). As we have grown older we have gradually changed to longer and longer cruises (will soon be doing a 62 day cruise) which is an entirely different experience then a typical 7 day Caribbean cruise. On our upcoming long cruise DW is already excited about the prospect of 21 sea days (we both love sea days).

We find it fascinating that some folks will keep cruising on the same line to the same places and then wonder why the excitement is gone. To us there is no such thing as "port intensive" since its what you do (or do not do) in ports that makes it intensive or relaxing. The idea of taking a "tour" with 50+ other cruises is something we seldom even consider. In Europe where we might have many ports on a cruise (our upcoming cruise has 31 European ports), some of our days might be spent just having a long lunch in the Piazza Navona (Rome) or perhaps enjoying Moules et Frites in the picturesque harbor of Honfleur. Cruises (and travel in general) are what you make it and there is no reason for the excitement to wane unless you get yourself into a rut. Somebody said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...and we think this applies to travel. Do the same thing over and over and it simply gets routine and old. Try something new and the excitement might just return :)

Hank

I feel quite the opposite. I am the kind of person the stresses when I am unfamiliar with a brand (like a new hotel or new city) so the fact I know from experience I can both trust and enjoy RCI makes me feel at ease. The best part is it's not like a hotel where the location gets old and then the Hilton in lets say London isn't as good as the Hilton in Tokyo. I really feel like Royal keeps up it's standards within all of their ships and I can always expect the best.

This is exactly how I feel about my 25 Carnival cruises....I know the product, it meets my needs, I generally know how they are going to react if something does go wrong and I feel the same thrill when I get "dinged" onto the ship and hear "Welcome home Miss Beverly" as I did so long ago.

I barely remember my first cruise, except that my boyfriend booked it, it was to the Bahamas, and the beds were singles attached to the walls and he was mad because they didn't move!!:o

I'd have a hard time picking which cruise I loved the most. One ship we sailed 3 different times, it was a little ship, yet we STILL were excited each time!

I very much love cruising with a first time cruiser, though, and seeing it all through their eyes. I remember being so awed at the size of the ship - and I know it must have been small compared to what we're sailing today.

If cruising ever gets boring to me, I'll do some other kind of traveling. But I can't imagine that happening, as I so love the sea! Knowing what to expect makes it even more exciting to me now, as I KNOW what a treat I'm in for!:D

March 10th or 11th, ask me if I'm sleeping well.

I used to dream about the beautiful jello blue seas while sipping on my favorite marguerita in the Viking Crown Lounge. After our 20th wedding anniversary on the Adventure of The Seas last year, that totally changed. We were both extremely insulted by the response we received by Royal Caribbean after we sent them a letter of all the mishaps and lousy suite conditions. They sent us $500.00 towards our next cruise. So much for the memories of what should have been a fantastic cruise.

• 3 months later...

In some ways I think the cruising I do now is better than my first cruise.

Now, I know what to look for, what to research, and what to avoid, but the experience is always different as I get to explore a new ship and see new ports. Each cruise has a different "feel" to it, so it has not become stale. I still have a very real sense of excitement as I approach the ship for the first time.

Like a lot of things in life, the excitement of the "first time" is unique. But, just like my marriage of approaching 30 years, there are different things to experience even though there will never be another first time!:D

We still get excited about cruising. If that ever changes, it may be time to find a different vacation!

Archived