Bad press for Princess on our local station tonight

compozer

They announced that two Princess ships had to return to port because over 500 passenger got the Noro virus. They showed pictures of the Crown and Ruby. At first I thought WHAT - they had to come back to FLL but that wasn't the case. They made it sound like they had to turn around and come back.

They announced that two Princess ships had to return to port because over 500 passenger got the Noro virus. They showed pictures of the Crown and Ruby. At first I thought WHAT - they had to come back to FLL but that wasn't the case. They made it sound like they had to turn around and come back.

That is terrible!! They need to get their facts straight!!

Hi Sandy!

Here in South Florida where cruising is local news, CBS4 played soundbites from passengers disembarking the Crown--and all of them were praising Princess for their effort in trying to keep everyone healthy. But I guess if they wanted to be totally fair they would have interviewed some of the 3000 anxious souls sitting the the Convention Center as well.

Shocking statements get people to watch the news & unfortunately as long as people watch they will continue to 'stretch' the truth. :rolleyes: On USA Today it's one of their 'most viewed' stories so after the Concordia tragedy anything negative about cruises attracts viewers. If I recall correctly, norovirus has to be reported when 2% or 3% are diagnosed...either way that's less than 120 on a ship with 4000 onboard.

Shocking statements get people to watch the news & unfortunately as long as people watch they will continue to 'stretch' the truth. :rolleyes: On USA Today it's one of their 'most viewed' stories so after the Concordia tragedy anything negative about cruises attracts viewers. If I recall correctly, norovirus has to be reported when 2% or 3% are diagnosed...either way that's less than 120 on a ship with 4000 onboard.

In the area where I live, two local schools have had noro virus outbreaks. Might just be my sensitivity, but it seems that the coverage was not nearly so negative as it is when an outbreak occurs on board a cruise ship.

In the area where I live, two local schools have had noro virus outbreaks. Might just be my sensitivity, but it seems that the coverage was not nearly so negative as it is when an outbreak occurs on board a cruise ship.
And consider that when a cruise ship has as few as 13 cases, they must go on a high alert. St. Ignatius High School in San Francisco had over 200 cases. I posted the news link on the Ruby and Crown Noro threads.

Princess posted the following on Facebook:

Princess Cruises

Several of you have commented about the news coverage today about an increased incidence of gastrointestinal illness on both Ruby Princess and Crown Princess. In collaboration with the CDC, who has told us that Norovirus is widely circulating in the US, our public health, medical and onboard teams are working diligently to ensure illness is not spread aboard any of our ships. On Ruby and Crown, measures include delaying embarkation so we can thoroughly disinfect all cabins and public areas, bringing on additional cleaning crews in Fort Lauderdale and, as an additional precaution, replacing the existing fruit and vegetable inventory with a totally new supply.

Like · · Share · 79224973 · Yesterday at 10:04pm ·

And consider that when a cruise ship has as few as 13 cases, they must go on a high alert. St. Ignatius High School in San Francisco had over 200 cases. I posted the news link on the Ruby and Crown Noro threads.

The case in San Francisco is one of the ones I was thinking of. Too bad that thie crew ships get such bad press on this, but good for Princess for responding to it.

Our news (in Los Angeles) also said two Princess ships needed to return to Ft Lauderdale this weekend due to noro virus on board (no mention that they return to Ft Laud every weekend. :rolleyes:).

And they said noro virus comes from contaminated food and drink. :confused: Just checked the CDC and they mentioned that also, but I never knew it could come from food or drink...just thought it was from people not washing. Hmmm.

Oh, they did also mention the Royal Caribbean ship out of New Orleans that had noro on board.

I had friends (who know I cruise) approach me at our Super Bowl party yesterday and say they heard that two Princess ships had to turn around and go back to Fort Lauderdale because of thousands of passengers with Norovirus. Yet, not one of them knew about our local schools with an outbreak (that our local news labeled stomach flu). I guess I shouldn't be amazed that the news gets so distorted. :(

If you check the website .... cruise junkie dot com ..... there are lots of reports of Noro on cruise ships all the time. So why did the media focus on the 2 Princess ships? Are they hyper alert to anything related to any ship that is part of the Carnival Corp group???

Our news (in Los Angeles) also said two Princess ships needed to return to Ft Lauderdale this weekend due to noro virus on board (no mention that they return to Ft Laud every weekend. :rolleyes:).

And they said noro virus comes from contaminated food and drink. :confused: Just checked the CDC and they mentioned that also, but I never knew it could come from food or drink...just thought it was from people not washing. Hmmm.

Oh, they did also mention the Royal Caribbean ship out of New Orleans that had noro on board.

From the CDCs website:

People can become infected with the virus by

• Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with noro virus,
  • Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with noro virus, and then placing their hand in their mouth, and
  • Having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

Food and drinks can easily become contaminated with noro virus because the virus is very small and because it takes a very small amount (fewer than 100 norovirus particles) to make a person sick. Although the virus cannot multiply outside a human body, billions of norovirus particles are shed by infected people. These shed particles can cause illness if they get into food or water.

Food can be contaminated by

• Direct contact with contaminated hands
  • Direct contact with work surfaces that are contaminated with infectious stool or vomit
  • Tiny droplets of vomitus that spray through the air when an infected person vomits

Some foods can be contaminated with norovirus before being delivered to a restaurant or store. Several outbreaks have been caused by the consumption of oysters harvested from contaminated waters. Other food products, such as salads and fruit, can also be contaminated at their source. However, most norovirus contamination of food is thought to occur during preparation and service by food handlers who are infected with the virus.

The facts are that Noro is not a true food born illness as the virus does not multiply in the food source. Only food/drink that won't be cooked is susceptible to carrying it, as the source is virus deposited there by a person who is ill. That's why cruise lines will occasionally replace all the fresh fruit and vegetables if the source has not yet been identified.

Liz

I was on Crown Princess and got off Sat. Let me tell you it was not good the last day or so. The Captian told every one who was sick to go to their room and dial 911. He did this three times that I heard. He also said that the Drs. & nurses were up more that 24 hours with no sleep trying to treat PAX. The Captian said that it was an unprecedented amount of people that were sick. ( He used the word unprecedented to describe the out break). It seemed impossible for them to keep up with it. The crew was cleanning everything!

From the CDCs website:

People can become infected with the virus by

• Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with noro virus,
  • Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with noro virus, and then placing their hand in their mouth, and
  • Having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

Food and drinks can easily become contaminated with noro virus because the virus is very small and because it takes a very small amount (fewer than 100 norovirus particles) to make a person sick. Although the virus cannot multiply outside a human body, billions of norovirus particles are shed by infected people. These shed particles can cause illness if they get into food or water.

Food can be contaminated by

• Direct contact with contaminated hands
  • Direct contact with work surfaces that are contaminated with infectious stool or vomit
  • Tiny droplets of vomitus that spray through the air when an infected person vomits

Some foods can be contaminated with norovirus before being delivered to a restaurant or store. Several outbreaks have been caused by the consumption of oysters harvested from contaminated waters. Other food products, such as salads and fruit, can also be contaminated at their source. However, most norovirus contamination of food is thought to occur during preparation and service by food handlers who are infected with the virus.

The facts are that Noro is not a true food born illness as the virus does not multiply in the food source. Only food/drink that won't be cooked is susceptible to carrying it, as the source is virus deposited there by a person who is ill. That's why cruise lines will occasionally replace all the fresh fruit and vegetables if the source has not yet been identified.

Liz

Thanks, Liz, for clarifying this for me. I didn't think it was considered a food borne illness, so was kind of confused by what I heard/read last night (and was too tired to investigate further!).

Tiny droplets of vomitus that spray through the air when an infected person vomits

And can I just say a great big EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW? :eek:

Rules for reporting the news - IMHO

Don't spoil a good story with the truth

or that's the way it looks to me now, reporters don't bother checking facts just look for headlines to grab attention sad

Man, if that ain't the truth. I'll never forget after the terrible tsunami in Japan, that blithering idiot Piers Morgan from CNN leading off with the words " Nuclear disaster in Japan; is America next?" What a maroon.

Man, if that ain't the truth. I'll never forget after the terrible tsunami in Japan, that blithering idiot Piers Morgan from CNN leading off with the words " Nuclear disaster in Japan; is America next?" What a maroon.

Recently, a friend told me that he heard that cruise bookings are down "over 30%," as a result of the Costa Concordia.

I read a couple of articles from the New York Times, and other (hopefully) reputable sources, which were saying that bookings for Carnival-related companies were down 10% - 15%, which could be a result of the Concordia, but also the result of a mild winter in much of the US.

Sadly, the news stories get repeated, and then exaggerated, which contributes to the problem!!

Archived