More on Food!

jakes47

Do people ever break out their zip lock bags at breakfast and take snacks for the day? I saw this happen on our cruise last year and was a little critical of it at the time.

Now with our port intensive itinerary I am planning something along this line on tour days when the schedule is tight – but if this is not an acceptable practice I will have to be extra sneaky ☺.

Bev

I usually take snack bars with me for times when we cannot find food in a timely manner when ashore

Some ports you are not allowed to take food ashore unless it is the prepackaged type & even then it can be questioned

Do people ever break out their zip lock bags at breakfast and take snacks for the day? I saw this happen on our cruise last year and was a little critical of it at the time.

Now with our port intensive itinerary I am planning something along this line on tour days when the schedule is tight – but if this is not an acceptable practice I will have to be extra sneaky ☺.

Bev

You were right to be critical of that behavior :mad: Keep it up!

You were right to be critical of that behavior :mad: Keep it up!

J&S,

I don't like to disagree with you but I will this time.

I don't think it's a "criminal" offense if someone makes a sandwich at breakfast to eat at lunchtime while ashore touring.

First - all the food on the ship has to be consumed or thrown away, if spoiled. We all know how much "leftover" food is wasted and discarded. There is no limit to how much food any one person can/is entitled to consume - it is their choice.

Some people will have 5 or 6 helpings of food at breakfast (cold cuts with bread, eggs with bacon, pancakes, a muffin or croissant with butter and jam, a danish, a bowl of fruit, etc, etc.).

Others may only have a bowl of cereal. Are you going to accuse the former of " wrong-doing" or charge that person more for their cruise? It's everyone's choice how much or how little they eat (at any meal) and should be no one else's concern.

If someone makes a sandwich for lunch to be eaten later, it will not deprive anyone else on the ship of food.

Second - if the person who made the sandwich for lunch to be consumed onshore because they want to spend as much sightseeing as they can (or because they don't trust local hygiene), they will not be onboard for their "entitled" lunch,which would probably be a lot more food than a sandwich.

Now, I know that many people do not wish to do this and enjoy local food onshore; but if someone chooses to take a sandwich instead, I have no problem with that. It's really no different in principle from taking a small plate of food ( pastries, for example) to your cabin to be consumed later.

If it is against the local laws and regulations to take food onshore, that's a different matter.

JMO :)

Mmm! I agree – we are entitled.

What I witnessed on our one and only cruise was not a pretty sight with one lady wandering the buffet with an open plastic shopping bag and piling the food in. Another had a production line going at he table as she made sandwiches for her family.

I suppose discretion is the key. I’ll pack my zip lock bags and assess the situation. Perhaps taking a small plate back to our room would be the way to go.

We very much like to sample the local flavors and we look forward to doing so when we are sight seeing on our own but with most of our organized tours there is not time and I need to watch my sugar levels.

Don't think this hasn't crossed my mind. I am short, thin, but low blood sugar and need to eat small meals more frequently. When I looked at breakfast to see what I could take with me, there wasn't much. Foods either needed to be kept cold, were messy, or needed to be consumed hot. Too many carbs wouldn't work.

So I bring some protein bars and small bags of nuts with me in my luggage. Boring but it meets my needs.

I think taking a banana or apple is OK, even a pastry.

However on one cruise a woman brought a plastic cooler to breakfast and proceeded to take plastic containers out of it and fill them with food. She even had a thermos for drinks.(This was before free water & soda).

Ignoring local regulations concerning food ashore, this seems to be the equivalent to going to a buffet restaurant on land and producing the same cooler and taking a second dinner home. Would the restaurant permit it? I doubt it. You are welcome to eat all you want at the buffet but most land based restaurants have signs such as "No doggie bags!" posted.

How would you feel in Martinis if someone brought their own booze and made themselves drinks at the table?

Certain rules of etiquette and common sense apply.

Yes, you have completely changed my mind about taking food off the ship.

My mistake was in thinking that doing so was akin to surrrepticiously removing food from a buffet restaurant on land. There is of course, absolutely no comparison.

The former is déclassé, crass and possibly illegal; the latter a brilliant money saving maneuver that just might stave off starvation, or worse low blood sugar, in such blighted areas as London, Paris and Rome, where Oceania quality food is seldom if ever available for purchase.

Unfortunately, taking that food "to which we are entitled" might have sudden, sometimes unexpected consequences. Therefore, a corresponding amount of toilet tissue must also be "liberated" with a clear conscience. :p

yes, you have completely changed my mind about taking food off the ship.

My mistake was in thinking that doing so was akin to surrrepticiously removing food from a buffet restaurant on land. There is of course, absolutely no comparison.

The former is déclassé, crass and possibly illegal; the latter a brilliant money saving maneuver that just might stave off starvation, or worse low blood sugar, in such blighted areas as london, paris and rome, where oceania quality food is seldom if ever available for purchase.

Unfortunately, taking that food "to which we are entitled" might have sudden, sometimes unexpected consequences. Therefore, a corresponding amount of toilet tissue must also be "liberated" with a clear conscience. :p

lol

When we are off the ship for the entire day and have a private tour that may not include lunch, we take snacks, i.e., dried fruit and nuts and maybe a muffin. And as one poster alluded to, these snacks may be used for people with low blood sugar, etc. Taking a cooler and filling it up it a little over the top. But think about all the people who may ask room service for sandwiches to take ashore. This I have seen first hand. There is really no reason we cannot take food off the ship, unless as someone pointed out, in some countries that is not allows - namely, Australia and New Zealand. And as an aside, food that is not consumed from the buffet and not touched, is very often given to the crew for their meals, which is a wonderful thing to do....why waste the good food by throwing it when others may partake. Just my take on this! Arlene

In fact, a couple of guides on our upcoming Black Sea cruise in August have requested that we bring lunches with us so that we don't "waste" time (and I suppose money) having a real lunch. I personally would prefer a quick meal in a restaurant (no, NOT MacDonald's!) but I'm willing to take some fruit and a sandwich with me if that's what everyone is doing.

Packing coolers, on the other hand ....

Mura

Are we now going to police each other? If someone wants to make a pig of him/herself that's his/her business, not mine. I have seen people consume five bowls of nuts with their drinks in Martinis. Why should i care even if it's not "right?" Unless I am being deprived by someone else's greed I can just turn the other way and let him/her behave in any way they wish.

Not sure if Oceania will do this but in previous lines all I had to do was ask and they made "luncboxes" for me to take on shore.

If one wants to take some fruit great, not sure breaking out the zip locks etc is a good idea.

The former is déclassé, crass and possibly illegal; the latter a brilliant money saving maneuver that just might stave off starvation, or worse low blood sugar, in such blighted areas as London, Paris and Rome, where Oceania quality food is seldom if ever available for purchase.

:p

If memory serves me right, Oceania makes a few calls at ports other than "such blighted areas as London, Paris and Rome, where Oceania quality food is seldom if ever available for purchase" :D Just ask the people who visited Christmas Island.

As others have said, taking a piece of fruit or a sandwich (perhaps ordered from room service) is OK; packing a cooler is not.

Are we now going to police each other? If someone wants to make a pig of him/herself that's his/her business, not mine. I have seen people consume five bowls of nuts with their drinks in Martinis. Why should i care even if it's not "right?" Unless I am being deprived by someone else's greed I can just turn the other way and let him/her behave in any way they wish.

Don't think I mentioned policing?

Taking any food stuff including fruit, any thing not pre packeged is highly not legal. You also cant bring any food on the ship either!

Think health and safety:o

Here in Hawaii it will get you up to a $10,000 fine and 6 mos in jail.

There are many ports around the world where this is a very wrong very illeagle, not just bad thing to do.

I an stunned that Oceaiana passengers would show suck a low level of crass manners.:eek:

Archived