Single supplement

Max2003

The single supplement is the only thing that I hate about cruising. I love sailing on HAL, but the pricing is getting to the point of beyond what I consider spending.

That is one of the reasons that I'm looking at other cruiselines. I'm booked on Princess next year because their pricing for a 10 day outside cabin is very reasonable and I get double the credit for the sailing. The HAL cruise that I was looking at during the same time is almost $800 more for an inside cabin.

I know some people suggest asking someone to come along with you. I did this a few years back. This person and I were friends over 20 years and while we are still friends, I can't cruise in a cabin with her again. As for the share program, I can't even think about sharing with someone that I've never met.

When I book a hotel room, dine out, rent a car,visit an attraction, or purchase an airfare, I'm not charged extra for traveling solo.

Like someone else stated, there are couples who spend barely anything on a ship and single cruisers who spend alot (this same friend spend almost $2,000 on a five day cruise)

When I book a cruise with HAL, they make money off of me. I enjoy the thermal spa and purchase a pass. I love having a cocktail before dinner, after dinner or with new friends. If I see something in the gift shop that I like, I will buy it.

The single segment of travelers are growing and if HAL offers reasonable pricing, they will make the money.

That's hilarious. You're booking a cabin on a ship, but you don't think that the cruise line should base the cost of your cruise on the fact that you're taking up a cabin.

I'm so happy that you are past that.

Greetings - You are getting mixed up between cabin (fixed) costs and use costs (variable) per day. Cabin costs are going to occur for the most part whether you have zero to four people in the cabin. They range from everything from manufacturing costs of the cabin allocated to the ship/day over its lifetime to airconditioning costs, etc. They occur even if the cabin is empty. I stress the point that the ship allocates the costs of an estimated number of empty cabins among the remaining passengers showing that they believe that all passengers should share equally in these type of costs. If they did not allocate the estimated costs of an empty cabin to the remaining passengers, they would take a loss for the cruise.

However, USE costs are always on a per person basis and are highly variable in nature -- extra towels, extra food, extra ship services, cost of oil to transport a 200 pound passenger several thousand miles, etc.

Total cruise costs are the sum of cabin costs plus use costs. (fixed plus variable). Therefore, logically, it stands to reason if the ship doesn't have to pay these extra use costs, and has already allocated the associated cost of missing passengers to the other cabins , then the total cruise costs charged to the solo cabin passengers should be adjusted downwards for this fact.

Airlines indeed have the same problem. It was taught to me in accounting that their fare calculation has a built in factor for no show passengers. Their fixed cabin rate is based on perhaps a 90% load factor. The total fixed (cabin) costs of the flight gets allocated to the 90% of the passengers who show for the flight.So the cabin costs per showing passenger are the same And as you probably well know the remaining charges are paid for as the passenger uses the services -- food, service enhancements,extra baggage, etc.

Based on the airline model a missing passenger in a two person cabin would be allocated to the remaining passengers on the ship. They already have quite accurate statistical models that give them to within 99% accuracy with a 99% confidence interval the cost of a missing passenger and have already charged the other cabins for this. So if the other passengers are already paying for the missing passenger, why do they charge the remaining passenger in the cabin for this amount again? It represents pure profit with no associated costs to tjhe ship.

ZU

When I book a hotel room, dine out, rent a car,visit an attraction, or purchase an airfare, I'm not charged extra for traveling solo.

No, you're not charged extra. You're not given a discount either. You pay the same amount for that hotel room that a couple would pay for it. And that's what you seem to be missing when it comes to booking a cabin on a cruise. You're not being charged extra for the cabin; in fact, you are being given a discount in most cases. If a couple has to pay $2000 for a cabin, you get to book the cabin at a discounted price of $1500. You (and other solo travelers) want to categorize this discount as an extra charge for some reason.

All the cruise lines keep extensive records of what people spend on cruises, be they single, a couple, a family, whatever.....

I don't believe in the "myth" that there are more free-spending singles, and more "tightwad" couples. Sure, there are some of each on both categories. But I've met plenty of solo cruisers on a tight budget who aren't paying for much onboard either. In fact, I guess I'm one. I don't take ship's tours unless I can't figure out ANY other option, I don't drink much (used to get the wine card and was happy with it). I don't gamble, don't buy photos, and don't visit the spa.

I also don't believe that charging a flat rate per cabin is discriminatory against singles when the cruise lines' business model calls for having two folks per cabin. Most hotels won't give you a double room for a single price either.

And for the poster who mentioned that the ship was saving on food and service: You do realize the per diem cost of food per passenger is in the vicinity of $15/day? And.....are you really suggesting that a single person is only going to use HALF of their cabin? I suppose your steward would only have to clean half of the shower? vacuum half of the rug? :rolleyes:

Whenever I have stayed o/n at any hotel, I have never been changed a single supplement! ;) So, why don't hotels charge a single supplement for occupying a room for two? :confused:

All the cruise lines keep extensive records of what people spend on cruises, be they single, a couple, a family, whatever.....

I don't believe in the "myth" that there are more free-spending singles, and more "tightwad" couples. Sure, there are some of each on both categories. But I've met plenty of solo cruisers on a tight budget who aren't paying for much onboard either. In fact, I guess I'm one. I don't take ship's tours unless I can't figure out ANY other option, I don't drink much (used to get the wine card and was happy with it). I don't gamble, don't buy photos, and don't visit the spa.

I also don't believe that charging a flat rate per cabin is discriminatory against singles when the cruise lines' business model calls for having two folks per cabin. Most hotels won't give you a double room for a single price either.

And for the poster who mentioned that the ship was saving on food and service: You do realize the per diem cost of food per passenger is in the vicinity of $15/day? And.....are you really suggesting that a single person is only going to use HALF of their cabin? I suppose your steward would only have to clean half of the shower? vacuum half of the rug? :rolleyes:

What is the source of this information? :confused:

Apparently you neglected to read the part of my post where I said HAL keeps records on all these spending patterns. And also where I said there are spenders and non-spenders in ALL groups....

My point re: the cabin is that a single may only use half as many towels (or may use more towels), but the cabin steward has to clean the full cabin and bathroom every day according to HAL's policy.

Do you suppose couples who have their beds made into a double should get a discount, as it's less work? :rolleyes:

And you would know this how? :confused:

Whenever I have stayed o/n at any hotel, I have never been changed a single supplement! ;) So, why don't hotels charge a single supplement for occupying a room for two? :confused:

Just curious...would this apply to all inclusive resorts as well???

The single supplement is the only thing that I hate about cruising. I love sailing on HAL, but the pricing is getting to the point of beyond what I consider spending.

That is one of the reasons that I'm looking at other cruiselines. I'm booked on Princess next year because their pricing for a 10 day outside cabin is very reasonable and I get double the credit for the sailing. The HAL cruise that I was looking at during the same time is almost $800 more for an inside cabin.

I know some people suggest asking someone to come along with you. I did this a few years back. This person and I were friends over 20 years and while we are still friends, I can't cruise in a cabin with her again. As for the share program, I can't even think about sharing with someone that I've never met.

Like someone else stated, there are couples who spend barely anything on a ship and single cruisers who spend alot (this same friend spend almost $2,000 on a five day cruise)

When I book a cruise with HAL, they make money off of me. I enjoy the thermal spa and purchase a pass. I love having a cocktail before dinner, after dinner or with new friends. If I see something in the gift shop that I like, I will buy it.

The single segment of travelers are growing and if HAL offers reasonable pricing, they will make the money.

Exactly! :) Interesting that hotels do not charge a single supplement ;)

Many hotels used to list their rates as per person/double occupancy, but this has changed to per room/per night. Many high-end resorts still do, often the ones that have extras included like meals and attractions like cruise ships. Atlantis, Sandals etc. for instance.

What is the source of this information? :confused:

As posted by Philip217, someone who works for various CCL lines in whatever the shipboard equivalent of hotel/restaurant management area is, posted the following:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22159681&postcount=4

It's also been confirmed to be pretty spot-on in the cruise industry special called Cruise Inc. or something similar.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Most hotels charge the same rate per night for up to two occupants per room.

So you're saying HAL should do away with any discount whatsoever for solo cruisers? Or that hotels should charge a reduced rate on some occasions for solo guests? :confused:

Interestingly, hotels in Europe are much more solo friendly than most in the US. Often they will have single rooms at a lesser rate -- however; that rate is still higher than the per-person rate two people pay in a double room.

Exactly! :) Interesting that hotels do not charge a single supplement ;)

Wow. Out of the 90+ posts on this thread, this one makes the least amount of sense. You are already paying full price for the hotel room. You are paying the exact amount that a couple would pay for that room.

Using your example, cruise lines shouldn't offer a discount on cabin price for singles; they should charge you the exact same amount as they charge couples, just as hotels do.

Congratulations for making my point for me.:rolleyes:

When I travelled with my Dad, I doubled the cost of whatever trip we were considering. I do the same now. My only complaint about the way HAL handles their solo travellers is there handling of the "cabin" for the Mariner Credit. If two people were in the cabin, they would be offering two people Mariner Credit.

I agree with you one hundered percent. If we are paying for two then we should get mariner points for two.

Debbie

Regarding NCL's single cabins - they're only on 1 ship - Epic - and the itineraries are very limited (translation: boring). The cabins themselves are only 100 sq. ft. :eek: I was in an inside cabin smaller than 150 sq. on the Noordam, and had my first bout of cruise ship claustrophobia in the room.

If the Epic works for you, go for it.

Roz

Regarding NCL's single cabins - they're only on 1 ship - Epic - and the itineraries are very limited (translation: boring). The cabins themselves are only 100 sq. ft. :eek: I was in an inside cabin smaller than 150 sq. on the Noordam, and had my first bout of cruise ship claustrophobia in the room.

If the Epic works for you, go for it.

Roz

You are so right, Roz.

When the posters who are half of a couple now become a solo, let's see how anxious they are to sail the Epic exclusively. :rolleyes:

There are a couple solutions for those of you that do not wish to pay the single supplement. The long-distance ferries have dorms. Of course that is usually just an over-night so that probably would not satisfy anyone.

The other option would be to go to the cruise mates blog website and advertise for a cruise mate. That is where I met Ruth and we have been cruising together since 2005. To date, we only have 26 shared cruises. However we do have two more booked. In connection with a few of the cruises, we have also done land trips and/or have had a third person join us.

Betty

Hi

So those of us who are single should be happy to travel on a ferry rather than a cruise ship. wow how nice of you to suggest. Maybe we should just stay home. Like I will necause I refuse to pay double. yeah i know its my choice. But it sure would be nice to be able to cruise

I have enjoyed cruising solo with HAL three times but because of the SS have not cruised for over a year. I have not found an affordable cruise with HAL in that time and now I am looking at all other cruise lines. I am also thinking of finding a TA that might be able to help, in the past I have always booked directly with HAL. Hoping to be cruising soon!

Which hotels have you stayed at that charge less for a single? Please share that information with the rest of us.

Every hotel where I have stayed charged the same amount for a room whether booking it for one person or two.

There are probably many others on this board who would love to know which hotels give you a lower price when booking the room for one person than for two, especially any hotels at cruise embarkation ports that do this.

Archived