Single supplement

Max2003

I have cruised most of my 45 cruises as a Single Occupancy and Solo Traveler. Even from the very first time I booked and paid the Single Occupancy surcharge I accepted that was the way the cruise line did business. I did not try to equate it to any other form of travel or accommodation. I just figured that was the way it was, and if I didn't like it I could find another form of transportation, accommodation, or vacation.

But I LOVE to cruise. So I pay. If someone doesn't like the cruise lines practice of a Single Occupancy surcharge they are more than welcome to take their vacation business elsewhere.

As far a paying the Single Occupancy surcharge, once in a while I find what I consider a really good deal on a Single Rate. Two years ago I got 9-nts in a balcony on Celebrity Mercury for under $1000 with insurance. Last year I got 10-nt B2B cruise on Celebrity Millennium in an ocean view for $1233 with insurance. I was happy with that. This year I have a 4-nt on Princess to Bermuda (yes, just four nights) in an Inside cabin for $575 with insurance. Unfortunately I will most likely have to cancel the Bermuda cruise due to a personal event that has laid waste to my finances and physical condition.

As far as a destination, I don't care where the ship goes. I just want to be on a ship. Itinerary is secondary and almost as unimportant to me as the entertainment. I just want to relax, be on a ship, be on the ocean, and have some good food.

But all that aside, I have always accepted and been glad to pay the Single Occupancy surcharge. I don't want a roommate on a cruise ship. I am too old and set in my ways. And I have a budget, set an acceptable per diem limit, and look around. If I can't find anything that fits the bill, I keep looking or I don't go. There isn't a week that passes by I am not on a cruise line website, or looking at travel agent deals from any number of emails I get. Maybe I can't take advantage of them now, but it helps me plan for a last minute deal for next year.

And there is always 'next year'. If I don't cruise this year, I'll save up my pennies and plan, and search, and dream.

And I will pay the Single Occupancy surcharge.

I have cruised most of my 45 cruises as a Single Occupancy and Solo Traveler. Even from the very first time I booked and paid the Single Occupancy surcharge I accepted that was the way the cruise line did business. I did not try to equate it to any other form of travel or accommodation. I just figured that was the way it was, and if I didn't like it I could find another form of transportation, accommodation, or vacation.

But I LOVE to cruise. So I pay. If someone doesn't like the cruise lines practice of a Single Occupancy surcharge they are more than welcome to take their vacation business elsewhere.

As far a paying the Single Occupancy surcharge, once in a while I find what I consider a really good deal on a Single Rate. Two years ago I got 9-nts in a balcony on Celebrity Mercury for under $1000 with insurance. Last year I got 10-nt B2B cruise on Celebrity Millennium in an ocean view for $1233 with insurance. I was happy with that. This year I have a 4-nt on Princess to Bermuda (yes, just four nights) in an Inside cabin for $575 with insurance. Unfortunately I will most likely have to cancel the Bermuda cruise due to a personal event that has laid waste to my finances and physical condition.

As far as a destination, I don't care where the ship goes. I just want to be on a ship. Itinerary is secondary and almost as unimportant to me as the entertainment. I just want to relax, be on a ship, be on the ocean, and have some good food.

But all that aside, I have always accepted and been glad to pay the Single Occupancy surcharge. I don't want a roommate on a cruise ship. I am too old and set in my ways. And I have a budget, set an acceptable per diem limit, and look around. If I can't find anything that fits the bill, I keep looking or I don't go. There isn't a week that passes by I am not on a cruise line website, or looking at travel agent deals from any number of emails I get. Maybe I can't take advantage of them now, but it helps me plan for a last minute deal for next year.

And there is always 'next year'. If I don't cruise this year, I'll save up my pennies and plan, and search, and dream.

And I will pay the Single Occupancy surcharge.

I don't think anyone is disputing that there should be a charge. I think it's the high rate they are charging. I do pay it but I'm also looking at other cruise lines. I'm ok with that. You also have to realize that some people are in the workforce and may not have the freedom to go whenever the mood strikes.

I don't think anyone is disputing that there should be a charge. I think it's the high rate they are charging. I do pay it but I'm also looking at other cruise lines. I'm ok with that. You also have to realize that some people are in the workforce and may not have the freedom to go whenever the mood strikes.

Unfortunately, Celebrity "generally" charges a 200% single supplement! :eek: I sure would like to do a 14-Day Caribbean cruise on a Solstice-Class ship though! :)

Although I am not retired, my job pretty much allows me the freedom to choose my vacation dates when ever I want to go, even if it is only two weeks in advance. This does give me the opportunity to wait for last minute deals. I do however on average normally book my cruise 10-12 months in advance. This year may be a bit different and instead of keeping my reservation for late this year, wait until Jan/Feb 2013 and book a last minute Tuesday special with Celebrity or RCI.

I do feel for those who can only take vacation when school is not in session, when they are already paying (up to) double the rates of off season. Whether they are parents, teachers, or school administrators some of these folks are the ones who can least afford to pay 'high season' rates. But those are the breaks. Just like me having to pay a single occupancy surcharge. Either we pay the cost, pick another vacation, or stay home.

And I ain't stayin home! ;)

Unfortunately, Celebrity "generally" charges a 200% single supplement! :eek: I sure would like to do a 14-Day Caribbean cruise on a Solstice-Class ship though! :)

For those who can, it really pays to be flexible in dates as well as cruise lines. I found some great deals on a Dec. 2012 14-nt B2B on Grand Princess for around $1400. I have also found some really great rates on Carnival and NCL, not that they are on the top of my list. And for those who can truly do a last minute getaway, book a last minute Tuesday Special 10-nt B2B on Celebrity Millennium for around $1200 sailing at the end of this month.

If you really don't care about the itinerary, you can get some deals on cruises 7-10 nights that cruise the standard western Caribbean ports, Florida, and the Bahamas. I've lost count of how many times I have been to the Bahamas, but the fact is I was on a cruise ship, and having a good time.

I for one really don't pay much attention at all to the 'percentage' of the Single Occupancy surcharge. I tally up the cost, and if it fits my pre-determined budget for my vacation, and if I think it is a decent deal, then it's a 'go'. If not, I keep looking.

There are times when we can't have our cake and eat it too. ;)

I don't think anyone is disputing that there should be a charge. I think it's the high rate they are charging.

Exactly. For two people to pay 350% of what a couple pays, just to do a Single Share, is usury. It cannot be defended by any reasonable person.

You can get better deals from a loan shark.

Although I am not retired, my job pretty much allows me the freedom to choose my vacation dates when ever I want to go, even if it is only two weeks in advance. This does give me the opportunity to wait for last minute deals. I do however on average normally book my cruise 10-12 months in advance. This year may be a bit different and instead of keeping my reservation for late this year, wait until Jan/Feb 2013 and book a last minute Tuesday special with Celebrity or RCI.

I do feel for those who can only take vacation when school is not in session, when they are already paying (up to) double the rates of off season. Whether they are parents, teachers, or school administrators some of these folks are the ones who can least afford to pay 'high season' rates. But those are the breaks. Just like me having to pay a single occupancy surcharge. Either we pay the cost, pick another vacation, or stay home.

And I ain't stayin home! ;)

It's not only teachers that can go at certain times. I have to be at work for about 6 days every month. It doesn't sound like mouch but it puts a pretty good crimp in my holiday plans.

I've got a balcony room on the Eclipse for Nov.2012 for 14 days and I paid slightly under 200% for that. On top of it the overall rate was really good. I've noticed the price has gone up several hundred since I booked it.

I've learned to play a game with myself when looking for a solo cruise. I don't think of it as a single supplement, but rather as a single "rate". Even if I pay almost 200%, in most cases I am still coming out ahead of any land based vacation.

For instance - Veendam 5/20/12 Cat "H" oceanview gty $1200.12 for a single cabin. Air to NYC from ATL is $285rt. So realistically my "base price" is $1500. There is no way I could go to Bermuda for 3 nights / 3.5 days (the length of time the Veendam is docked there) and get air, room and 3 meals for that price. I priced a trip from ATL-BDA on 5/22-5/25 and Air and Hotel alone at a basic 3 star hotel, no meals inclusive was $1442. Now consider that on the Veendam I'm getting 7 nights, plus meals, plus entertainment!

WAIT - could it be I just got a major bargain on a trip to Bermuda?????????

Heck - a week at the SpringHill Suites FLL airport/cruiseport with air would run me $1260.00 and that only includes a basic breakfast buffet. And I'm not on the beach and the pool backs up to the highway. For $240 more look what I'm getting on HAL?!!!!!!!!! 3 wonderful meals, endless entertainment, interesting ports, beautiful sea vistas from the pool deck, top notch service ...... hmmmmmmm

That single "supplement" doesn't look so bad now does it? :D:D:D

I know this logic may not work in all situations, but by and large even when booking at a single rate I do much better value wise on a cruise to most anywhere than on any land based vacation :D

Scott, I totally agree with you. I set my max budget at $200 per night (usually a nice outside room on HAL) and then I look to see what is available during the time I want to go. I look at HAL, Princess, and Celebrity as these are the only cruiselines I would want to sail on. Usually, HAL has the best price, followed by Princess. I have never been able to find any decent solo prices on Celebrity. I have been to all-inclusive resorts by myself and only paid less than $200 a night in Cuba. I have found I prefer cruises to all inclusives as I feel very safe on cruiseships and I like most of the passengers. As for the single cabins on the Epic, I just cannot imagine being on a ship with 4000 people and spending my nights in a 100 square foot room.

An easy way to clarify the reality of this issue would be to quote the price of the stateroom as twice the double occupancy rate and say it is for up to two people. That is realistically what they are doing with the 200% supplement. It would be easier to understand, maybe not easier to take. That would mirror the pricing policies of most US hotels.

Then there are those European hotels that quote a single rate which is usually less but not half the rate for a double. A bit more palatable and more like what HAL did in the past.

An easy way to clarify the reality of this issue would be to quote the price of the stateroom as twice the double occupancy rate and say it is for up to two people. That is realistically what they are doing with the 200% supplement. It would be easier to understand, maybe not easier to take.

Yes, I understand that.

I don't understand how it could be 350% though. That's a head scratcher.

I think there's some funny math going on here. :eek:

Let's hypothetically assume the rate for a cabin on a given cruise is $200 total. That's $100 per person. (I know it's unrealistic, but easier for those of us who are mathematically challenged, and I am including myself here so no nastygrams, please....)

If a solo pays 175% of the per person rate, they are paying $175. If two solos share a cabin under HAL's "Share" program, they are paying $350 for the cabin, whereas two occupants jointly would pay $200.

So, it's not 3.5 times the rate for a couple....

I think there's some funny math going on here. :eek:

Let's hypothetically assume the rate for a cabin on a given cruise is $200 total. That's $100 per person. (I know it's unrealistic, but easier for those of us who are mathematically challenged, and I am including myself here so no nastygrams, please....)

If a solo pays 175% of the per person rate, they are paying $175. If two solos share a cabin under HAL's "Share" program, they are paying $350 for the cabin, whereas two occupants jointly would pay $200.

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

You're right. :o But 350% for two unrelated singles vs 200% for a couple isn't really better. It's still usury.

no matter what we are charged as singles it's too much. I took my niece and nephew this year and got one at $199. for once i got a decent price. you would think the cruise lines would learn to appreciate us. we are less wear and tear on a ship too. I would love to go on a canada/new england cruise but the price is rarely discounted. It's popular so they don't have to. i'll keep looking for a bargain. may be on celebrity next winter.

You're right. :o But 350% for two unrelated singles vs 200% for a couple isn't really better. It's still usury.

So, let me get this straight: HAL charges two singles (who never met and didn't make arrangements with each other on their own) 175% of the DO rate per-person for the Single-Share program? That's not usury ... that's ROBERY. It's FAR cheaper/easier to arrange things with a family member or a friend on my own and cruise with them for the normal Double Occupancy rate, rather than pay HAL that insane fee and have them match me up with someone I don't know!

Archived