does this mean more large groups onboard

LHT28

or cruise bumped when the ships are chartered???

"Muller will be responsible for developing corporate, incentive and charter business for both brands, as well as strengthening relationships with meeting and incentive travel partners throughout North America, the Caribbean, Latin America and Europe."

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/6766-oceania-and-regent-expand-charter-a-incentive-sales-team.html

or cruise bumped when the ships are chartered???

"Muller will be responsible for developing corporate, incentive and charter business for both brands, as well as strengthening relationships with meeting and incentive travel partners throughout North America, the Caribbean, Latin America and Europe."

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/6766-oceania-and-regent-expand-charter-a-incentive-sales-team.html

Are ALL groups necessarily a bad thing? What if it were the Royal Association of Canadian Housewives?:rolleyes:

Well, it does seem to me that even with a group composed of totally lovely people IF they make up too large a percentage of the passengers they can take over a ship. Or it can feel that way!

I know that it felt that way on my Panama Canal Cruise! There were a number of large alumni groups on board and we did find the dynamics totally different, not to mention the public areas often being reserved (by passengers, not by O), longer lines when certain groups may have had the same timing as we did, etc. We still enjoyed the cruise, it was just different.

There are groups and there are groups. Ten to fifty people is one thing. Five hundred is another. The worst part of such large groups is that sometimes they commandeer one of the public venues so that it is off limits to other passengers. I find this unacceptable.

There are groups and there are groups. Ten to fifty people is one thing. Five hundred is another. The worst part of such large groups is that sometimes they commandeer one of the public venues so that it is off limits to other passengers. I find this unacceptable.

I agree with you

If such groups are onboard they should not have control over public rooms so other passengers are kept out

I agree with you

If such groups are onboard they should not have control over public rooms so other passengers are kept out

I'll third that. I guess that this is another issue that the new President will have to go over with the General Managers of each ship.

By rights, the fact that this type of thing wont be tolerated should be written into the group-booking agreement.

Cruise lines could not be in business without groups..it is a simple economic fact ..

Jancruz1

I am sure the group bookings are important but I think they should limit the numbers

At least let the rest of the passengers know there are groups onboard

One cruise we had 2 alumni groups, they did have use of the lounge & GDR during off peak hours which was fine they did not interfere with the other passengers enjoyment of the cruise

but reading about the group that took over Horizons and shooing other passengers out of the area is unacceptable

On my honeymoon, 20 years ago, a religious organization brought along 75% of the passengers on that Holland America sailing. Not only were public areas taken over, but all the other passengers were bumped into early seating, so there could be prayer vigils before dinner. Certainly a mood breaker. Small groups are fine, but if the group size is large enough to make a significant impact on the experience for the rest of the passengers, the other passengers certainly should expect to be notified about the group. The cruise lines have a legal right to do what they want, but with the advent of cruise critic, if it does not pass the "smell test" the negative publicity might outweigh the gain from keeping passengers in the dark about what their cruise experience will entail.

On my honeymoon, 20 years ago, a religious organization brought along 75% of the passengers on that Holland America sailing. Not only were public areas taken over, but all the other passengers were bumped into early seating, so there could be prayer vigils before dinner. Certainly a mood breaker. Small groups are fine, but if the group size is large enough to make a significant impact on the experience for the rest of the passengers, the other passengers certainly should expect to be notified about the group. The cruise lines have a legal right to do what they want, but with the advent of cruise critic, if it does not pass the "smell test" the negative publicity might outweigh the gain from keeping passengers in the dark about what their cruise experience will entail.

+1

Well said.

I was on a world cruise on another line. My ritual every evening was cocktails before dinner in the Observation Lounge with friends. One night I came up and a large portion of the lounge was roped off for a Virtuoso cocktail party. Two nights later it was roped off for an Ensemble cocktail party. The next night it was roped off for Australia night, a cocktail party for all Australian guests aboard. By that time I had had enough. I parked myself right in the middle booth and refused to move, informing them that if they wished to refund me part of my fare due to the unavailability of the public rooms as advertised in their brochures I would be happy to move. It was the Australians who moved.

On our Dover-Dover cruise a number of years ago, by chance we had lunch with the University Professor who was accompanying an Alumni Group. He invited my husband and me to attend his afternoon talk on historic events that took place in the North Sea. He was a wonderful lecturer. We were treated to a delightful afternoon and felt very privileged to be included.

If you google the cruise title, dates, etc. you can often find out about groups who will be on your cruise. On a river cruise, there was an alumni group that made all its lectures available to all. On another, a folk dancing club entertained us all and gave lessons on the deck. Nd then there were the Audubon society folks who were careful to not talk about birds when sharing a table but were very willing to share their knowledge. It all depends on the group, whether they enhance the cries experience or are exclusive. Perhaps O can help set positive interactions between groups and individual cruisers.

I guess it depends on the group. A few years back, there was a thread about a large wife-swapping club that took over the ship with somewhat lewd behavior. The other passengers were furious with some of the activities in open and there was a near riot on board. We have had several groups on board and have never been impacted. We last traveled with an alumni group from Texas A&M and they were lovely. On the Maasdam, there was a large LGBT group of 500 on board and we had a blast. We then had a small ethnic group who made life miserable for many. I guess it depends on the group and their deportment.

Why would that shock you? How many times have you told me that you would be happy to swap your husband ? :p

By the way, regards to that long suffering gentleman ;)

I would not swap him ...I have him trained :D

Archived